Project 30bis 'Skoryy' Class destroyers
One of the first all new post Second World War Soviet destroyer designs. These all-gun 'Skoryy' [fast, quick, rapid, speedy, swift] Class destroyers were first laid down in 1948/1949 and the first example was launched in 1950. The plan was to replace their older Second World War counterparts. Eventually seventy ships of this class would see service and they were built in shipyards in the Black Sea, White Sea, Baltic and the Far East. They were operated in the Northern, Baltic, Black Sea and Far East Fleets.
These vessels continued to see service through the 1950s and into the 1960s before some of the earlier ones were placed in the reserve or transferred to other navies. Scrapping began in the 1970s but some remained to be decommissioned in the second half of the 1980s. Several vessels were transferred to Egypt and Indonesia. These were among the last of the all-gun destroyers operated by any navy and as such were seen as obsolete with the development of missiles and the use of helicopters from flight decks. Egyptians were sole nation to mount Styx on Skoryy, when they placed two of the early hangars of the Komar class FAC on the place of the aft AA set. They continued to see service in the Soviet Navy long after they were recognized as unable to operate effectively against NATO Battle Groups.
Prior to the creation of a the project destroyer (Prov. 30 bis), Soviet naval experts had experience of creation and combat application destroyers (pr. 7 and 7-y) and EM leaders (pr. 1, 20 and and 38). It should be noted that the work on improvement of the class of destroyer ships continued during the war (which preceded the appearance of EM pr. 30 to set up but the experience EM pr. 30 of "Firing" and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the major prewar project 7 "Angry" and 7-y "Watchdog". Work on the destroyer, Pr. 30bis was originally entrusted to the Central Design Bureau #17 (CDB-17) the People's Commissariat of the shipbuilding industry. The basis for this was a joint decision NK Navy and NCSP of 08 October 1945 However, in less than two months, as a letter from the Navy NC 28/11/45, was finally approved by the armament of the new destroyer "second series" (pr.30 bis) were reassigned to the project executors of the last - formed a new CDB -53, chief designer of the project approved by AL Fisher.
Soon after the decision of the Council of Ministers of the USSR from 01.28.47 N3 149-75, approved and finally developed in CDB-53 technical project 30bis. The project 30 bis, as compared to the project EM "Firing", had some changes made: slightly increased principal dimensions (length, width and height), the hull for the first time carried out a fully welded, and its design allows you to apply a new, more advanced technology. The strength characteristics of hull structures met the then existing military shipbuilding "Requirements to perform calculations hull structures strength of surface ships," published in 1944, and, in particular, the "Interim methodology for calculating strength of structures aft."
A patrol and maintenance of electronic intelligence was carried out on some ships of Project 30 bis, and carried out works related to transfer them to other countries: destroyers transmitted Indonesian Navy, converted on the Project 30 BC, and the ships for the fleet of Egypt were designated as Project 30-AD. Since these destroyers were intended for the navies of countries whose climatic conditions characterized by high temperatures and high humidity, the main tasks in the process of upgrading these military units, was the creation of appropriate conditions for their maintenance and improvement of the habitability of crews.
Partially it changed to more modern firepower composition of the feed group flak - instead of the turret gun mount, "92-K" and the two machines of type "B-11" (respectively caliber 85 and 37 mm) on the aft superstructure were installed on one quad 57-mm automatic artillery system "ZIF-75." Radar "Reef" is replaced by radar "Foot-H", and in addition, in accordance with the TEHPROEKT 30 BA ships "received" radar "Don" and the latest by the time the reactive bombometnye installation type "RBU-2500."
When the question of the transfer of Soviet ships in the fleets of the socialist countries - members of the Warsaw Pact, no significant changes were made to the plan of the ships. Thus, in 1965, Project 30bis "Firing" was handed over to the Navy of the People's Republic of Bulgaria, after which he received a new name - "Georgi Dimitrov". Destroyers pr. 30-bis "Fast" and "Sharp-witted" after their withdrawal from the Baltic fleet in 1957-1958. They were handed over to the navy of the Polish People's Republic. Rounding out its nearly forty way "thirty-bis". Most of them have already written off from the composition of the Soviet Navy, and those that were still in the ranks, as a rule, are used for educational purposes, in particular when developing the tasks of damage control personnel of the surface ships connections.
But, taking a look into the past of the Soviet Navy, the objective fact was that sailors who served on the "thirty-bis", loved these ships for its simplicity and reliability, and it is these destroyers had a chance to begin exploration of the oceans, where then they passed the tasks of military service of more modern fellow-destroyers, Project 56 large missile ship, Pro. 57-bis, missile cruisers, Pr. 58 and 61 anti-submarine ship.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|