UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!


Operation Iraqi Freedom - April 4
Day Sixteen

During the night of 3-4 April, elements of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) completed the capture of Saddam International Airport. During clearance of the runways and facilities, a large Iraqi force was encountered at approximately 4:30 a.m., local time. In one engagement, two companies of Task Force 3-69 Armor engaged Iraqi Special Republican Guard (SRG) forces on the east side of the airfield. Fighting continued for three hours, resulting in 250 SRG killed, three tanks destroyed, and other equipment destroyed or captured. Over the 12 hours of the battle for the airport, US forces suffered 1 killed and 8 wounded.

Three US military personnel were killed by a bomb at a checkpoint approximately 11 miles southeast of the Hidathah Dam. Initial reports indicate that the soldiers approached the car in response to one of the passengers, who appeared to be a pregnant woman in distress. As they neared the vehicle there was a large explosion. The woman and another male in the car were killed along with the three soldeirs. Two other individuals were wounded.

U.S. Army Special Forces found a site in western Iraq near Mudaysis that probably was used as a nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) warfare training center for the Iraqi Army.

British forces operating in the south continued to expand their influence by ridding al Basrah of Iraqi paramilitary squads. Aggressive patrols beyond Basrah resulted in the seizure of a cache of 56 surface-to-surface, short-range ballistic missiles, and four missile launchers in the vicinity of al Zubair, which is just northwest of Basrah.

The 1st Marine Expeditionary Force continued its attack toward Baghdad, destroying remnants of the Baghdad Republican Guard Division near al Kut, and elements of the Al Nida Republican Guard Division between al Kut and Baghdad. 2500 Republican Guard soldiers surrendered to the Marines in the vecinity of al Kut.

Two Marine pilots were killed in the crash of their AH-1W "Super Cobra" attack helicopter in central Iraq at approximately 12:19 a.m Saturday morning (local time) Friday EST.

Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list

Page last modified: 05-07-2011 02:25:30 Zulu