26 November 2018 Military News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Nov 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Afghanistan protests kill 4, injure 19 IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- The protests against arresting a local commander by security forces in Afghanistan has claimed the lives of 4 and injured 19 others.
- Taliban attack on Afghan police convoy kills 22 IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- At least 22 policemen were killed in a Taliban attack on an Afghan police convoy in the east of Farah Province, western Afghanistan on Sunday night.
- Taliban ambush Afghan police convoy, kill at least 22 Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Taliban militants in Afghanistan have ambushed a police convoy, reportedly killing at least 22 people, as Afghan authorities consider postponing the presidential election scheduled for next year.
- Afghanistan Considers Delaying April Presidential Election RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Afghanistan's election authorities are considering delaying a presidential election scheduled for April 2019, officials said, as they struggle to count votes cast in recent parliamentary elections.
- Afghan Authorities Release Militia Leader After Violent Demonstrations RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Afghan authorities have released on bail a militia leader accused of human rights abuses following days of violent demonstrations over his detention.
- At Least 20 Killed In Taliban Ambush Of Afghan Police Convoy RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- At least 20 Afghan police officers were killed when their convoy was ambushed in the western province of Farah, officials say.
- Taliban Attacks Kill 30 Afghan Personnel VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- Taliban attacks have killed at least 30 security personnel while dozens of police officers have been injured in clashes with angry protesters in western Kabul, according to Afghan officials.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Navy Ships Train with Western Hemisphere Partners NNS 26 Nov 2018 -- In support of U.S. Southern Command's (USSOUTHCOM) Enduring Promise Initiative, amphiibous transport dock USS Somerset (LPD 25) and guided-missile destroyer USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) will conduct interoperability and partnership exercises in Ecuador, Peru and Chile.
- USS Donald Cook Departs Naval Station Rota, Begins 8th FDNF Patrol NNS 26 Nov 2018 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) departed Naval Station Rota, Spain, for its eighth forward-deployed naval forces (FDNF) patrol in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations, Nov. 19.
- New Admiral Takes Helm of US Southern Command VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Navy Adm. Craig Faller has taken charge of U.S. Southern Command, which overseas military operations in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis at Change of Command Ceremony DoD 26 Nov 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Russia Warns Against New U.S. Missile Deployments In Europe RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has warned that the planned U.S. withdrawal from a Cold War nuclear arms treaty could critically undermine stability in Europe.
- China's 3rd aircraft carrier under construction, to be equipped with new technologies Global Times 26 Nov 2018 -- China's third aircraft carrier is now under construction, the Xinhua News Agency said via its WeChat public account on early Sunday, with Chinese military experts saying on Monday that the warship is expected to be launched in two and a half years.
- China Reportedly Starts Building 'New-Generation' Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Beijing already has two aircraft carriers that have already undergone all the necessary trials prior to duty. The first carrier, the CNS Liaoning, has even participated in its first war games, which took place in disputed areas of the South China Sea.
- India's navy chief in Russia despite US warnings Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- India's navy chief on Monday was starting a three-day visit to Russia, where he will hold talks with Russian officials on expanding bilateral military relations, despite a looming threat of sanctions by the United States, which has constantly warned New Delhi against military transactions with Moscow.
- Indian Navy Chief in Russia to Explore Co-op in Nuke Submarine Construction Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Admiral Sunil Lanba is scheduled to visit the Nakhimov Naval School and Admiralty Shipyard that is building Lada-class submarines of project 677. The non-nuclear Amur-1650 submarine - an export option of the Lada-class submarine - is one of the contenders in India's project p75I for six non-nuclear submarines for the Indian Navy.
- Navy Commander: Iranian seas fully secured IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- Iranian seas enjoy full security, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said, adding that there is no need for the presence of foreign countries.
- Iran naval forces powerful wings of country: Army chief IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- Naval forces of Army and the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) are the two strong wings of Iran's supremacy in the seas, the chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces said Monday.
- Iran says ready to export fighter jets, training aircraft Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Iran says it is ready to export domestically built fighter jets after showcasing them to potential buyers during an upcoming air show on Kish Island.
- Iran to Commission Three New Destroyers, New Class Sub – Admiral Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- In recent years, the Iranian Navy has increased its presence in international waters to secure naval routes and protect ships and oil tankers from pirates.
- Israel Grows Stealth Arsenal With More F-35 Fighter Jets Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- The Israeli Air Force (IAF) received two more F-35I aircraft this weekend, bringing the IAF's total inventory of fifth-generation fighters up to 14.
- Four Soldiers Killed in Military Chopper Crash in Istanbul Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Turkish media reported that rescue teams have been dispatched to the helicopter's crash site in a neighbourhood in Sancaktepe district, Istanbul.
- Uzbekistan Launches 'Unprecedented' Large-Scale Military Maneuvers RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Uzbekistan's Defense Ministry has announced the launch of large-scale military maneuvers across the country.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 26 Nov 2018
- 26 November 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 26 Nov 2018
- Yemeni drone targets Saudi commanders' meeting IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- The Yemeni army has targeted the meeting of the Saudi-coalition commanders in Ma'rib Province, northwestern Yemen, Yemeni TV Channel Al-Masirah reported.
- Russian jets strike Syrian militants accused of using chemical weapons People's Daily 26 Nov 2018 -- Russian warplanes on Sunday struck militants in Syria who had been shelling civilians in the northern city of Aleppo with chemical munitions, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Fresh US-led airstrikes kill several Syrian civilians in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Several civilians, mostly women and children, have lost their lives and sustained injuries when the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out a number of aerial attacks in Syria's troubled eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Leader of Iraqi Shia group urges formal border security role for Shia fighters Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- The head of a powerful Shia group in Iraq says Shia paramilitaries in the Arab country should have a formal role in securing the border with Syria and defend the Iraqi people against terror outfits, particularly the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
- Iraqi Security Forces Eliminate Senior Daesh Leader 'Katkut' - US-Led Coalition Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- The US-led coalition reported earlier in October that with help of Iraqi Special Forces they managed to arrest 10 members of a suspected network that provided funds to the Daesh* terror group.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the meeting of the NATO-Ukraine Commission NATO 26 Nov 2018
- NATO Secretary General's phone call with President Poroshenko NATO 26 Nov 2018 -- The NATO Secretary General and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko spoke this morning about developments in the Azov Sea and Kerch Strait, including yesterday's events involving Russian and Ukrainian naval vessels.
- Russia's seizure of Ukrainian ships lawful: Kremlin Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- The Kremlin has defended Russia's seizure of three Ukrainian navy ships off the coast of Crimea, saying the move was lawful and in strict accordance with international and domestic regulations.
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'dangerous' provocation Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Russia has accused Ukraine of "dangerous" moves and deliberately provoking an incident in the Kerch Strait near Crimea in which Russia seized three Ukrainian vessels.
- Russia's Dangerous Escalation in the Kerch Strait US Dept. of State 26 Nov 2018 -- Press Statement by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Top UN official urges Russia and Ukraine to step away from further confrontation at sea UN News 26 Nov 2018 -- An "immediate de-escalation" of tensions is needed in the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea, the United Nations top political official has said, underlining the importance of "earnest attempts" to find a peaceful resolution to years of simmering conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
- Ukraine Declares Martial Law Along Borders With Russia, Black Sea VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- Ukraine's parliament approved President Petro Poroshenko's call to impose martial law in parts of Ukraine bordering Russia and the Black Sea Monday, a day after Moscow attacked and seized three Ukrainian ships and their crews in waters off Crimea.
- Ukraine Backs Martial Law After Gunfire At Sea RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- The Ukrainian parliament has voted to impose martial law for 30 days after Russian forces fired on Ukrainian ships and seized 23 sailors in the Black Sea off the coast of the Russian-controlled Crimean Peninsula.
- Explainer: What The Kerch Strait Skirmish Tells Us About A Simmering European Conflict RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- A dusting of snow and unease fell over Ukraine one day after Russian Coast Guard vessels fired on and detained three Ukrainian military ships and their crews off the Crimean coast, igniting rioting outside the Russian Embassy and public demands for retaliation.
- Seemingly In Unison, Moscow Cries Ukrainian 'Provocation' Ordered By Washington RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Russia has accused Ukraine of planning and staging a deliberate "provocation" for political purposes following a naval incident in the Kerch Strait that marked the first public acknowledgement by Moscow of its forces firing on Ukrainian troops since the onset of fighting in eastern Ukraine nearly five years ago.
- Ukrainian Provocations in Kerch Strait Executed on Direct Orders from Kiev - FSB Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Provocations carried out by the Ukrainian navy in the Kerch Strait area were coordinated by two officers from the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) who were aboard the ships involved in the incident, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said Monday.
- UN Security Council Discusses Kerch Incident Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Earlier in the day, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov stated that the Kerch Strait incident would be discussed at a UN Security Council meeting later in the day at Russia's request.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Declares Protest Over Kerch Strait Incident Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry is declaring a resolute protest over the recent violation of the rules of innocent passage in the Black Sea by Ukrainian Navy ships, the ministry said in a statement.
- Ukrainian Army Put on Full Combat Alert Amid Kerch Strait Standoff Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Russia has warned Ukraine against attempts to revise the status of the Sea of Azov – in violation of international law – and urged Kiev to refrain from attempting to unilaterally establish new state borders.
- Kiev Urges Moscow to Return Servicemen Detained in Kerch Strait Incident Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Kiev is demanding that Moscow return sailors from the Ukrainian Navy ships seized for violating the Russian state border, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- FSB to Escort Ukrainian Ships Seized in Black Sea Over Border Violation to Kerch Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Three Ukrainian ships seized in the Black Sea for illegally crossing the Russian border will be escorted to the port of Kerch, a spokesman for the Border Directorate of the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) for Crimea, Anton Lozovoy, said on Monday.
- Russia Requests Urgent UN Security Council Meeting Over Azov Sea Issue Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Russia requested an urgent meeting of UN Security Council members at 11 a.m. on Monday (16.00 GMT) to discuss the situation in the Sea of Azov, Russia's First Deputy Envoy to UN, Dmitry Polyanskiy, told reporters.
- Poroshenko Threatens to Impose Martial Law in Ukraine Amid Kerch Strait Issue Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Kiev is considering imposing martial law after a recent incident on the Black Sea, and the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine (NSDC) convened an urgent meeting to discuss the issue, NSDC Secretary Oleksandr Turchynov said on Sunday.
- Ukrainian Naval Ships Ignored Calls to Stop, Violated Russian State Border - FSB Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- According to the Russian Federal Security Service, weapons were used to force three Ukrainian vessels to stop after they violated the Russian maritime border.
- Rohingya say Bangladesh, aid agencies must stop collecting information for Myanmar Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Rohingya refugees in southeast Bangladesh have staged a massive protest and strike, demanding that officials and aid agencies stop sharing their family information with Myanmar's government.
- Militant Attacks Kills 22 in Somalia VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- At least 22 people were killed in two separate militant attacks Monday in Somalia, witnesses and officials said.
- Al-Shabab kills 15 in new attack in Somalia Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- The al-Shabab terrorist group has launched a two-pronged attack on a religious institution in central Somalia, killing a cleric and 14 other people.
- Somalia: UN mission head condemns deadly terrorist attacks in Mogadishu, Galkayo UN News 26 Nov 2018 -- The top United Nations official in Somalia has "strongly condemned" terrorist attacks in the north-central city of Galkayo and in the Somali capital on Monday, which left a prominent cleric and a number of other civilians dead.
- Guterres censures terrorist attacks in Nigeria, pledges UN 'solidarity' UN News 26 Nov 2018 -- Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the recurrent attacks by terrorists and other extremist groups in northern Nigeria that have taken a heavy toll on civilians and security forces.
- UAE frees British spy jailed for life after London threatened diplomatic ties Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- The United Arab Emirate has granted a pardon to a British academic whose life sentence a week ago had triggered a harsh response from London.
- UAE Pardons UK National Who Allegedly Confessed to Being MI6 Agent Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Last week, a 31-year-old British academic, who travelled to Dubai in early May, was accused of 'jeopardising the military, economy and political security' of the United Arab Emirates, and was given a life sentence for spying.
- Iran nuclear chief: US not complying with its int'l commitments IRNA 26 Nov 2018 -- US unilateral withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal is indicative of the country's non-adherence to its international commitments, according to head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- France, Germany may host payment channel aimed at bypassing US bans on Iran Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- France and Germany will likely host the Special Vehicle Purpose (SPV), a special payment channel created by Europe as part of its efforts to keep trade flowing with Iran in defiance of US sanctions, senior diplomats told the Wall Street Journal.
- Kazakhs From Xinjiang Say Relatives Not Allowed To Leave China RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Ethnic Kazakhs from China's northwestern region of Xinjiang say their relatives with permanent residence permits issued by Kazakhstan have been barred from leaving China after traveling there at the request of Beijing.
- Kushner pushed to inflate Saudi arms deal to $110 billion: Sources Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's son-in-law pushed American officials to pump up numbers for a supposed $110 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia, sources tell ABC News.
- Police search villa in northwest Turkey for remains of slain Saudi journalist Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Turkish police have searched the villa of a Saudi citizen in a northwestern province for the remains of murdered Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi who was killed after entering the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul in early October.
- Saudi Arabia raises oil output to record high of 11.2mn bpd Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- Saudi oil production is reported to have reached an all-time high over the past few weeks in what is seen as the result of a positive response by Riyadh to US calls to pump more and help drive prices lower.
- Israeli firm offered Saudi Arabia hacking system ahead of royal purge: Report Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- A recent report reveals Saudi Arabia had negotiated with a secretive Israeli technology firm the purchase of a system that hacks into cellphones, months before Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman unleashed a purge of the country's rival royals and businessmen.
- Sweden Sticks to 'Insignificant' Arms Exports to Saudi Arabia Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Over the past several weeks, Norway, Germany, Denmark and Finland have announced they will stop arms exports to Saudi Arabia, calling their European peers to do likewise. While all of the nations have cited the Saudi military and humanitarian crisis in Yemen as the reason, Denmark also referenced the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- New York Woman Pleads Guilty to Providing Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 26 Nov 2018 -- Zoobia Shahnaz, 27, of Brentwood, New York, pleaded guilty to providing material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
- US Embassy in DRC Closed Because of Terror Threat VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- The United States has closed its embassy in the Democratic Republic of Congo because of what it says is "credible and specific" information about a terror threat.
- NASA's Probe Successfully Lands on Mars VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. Space Agency NASA says that its latest Mars probe has successfully touched down on the Red Planet with a unique mission to explore Mars' interior.
- Government to reflect on mistakes, change for the better: Tsai CNA 26 Nov 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday that her ruling party will reflect on its mistakes and re-evaluate the government's major policies and members and make changes when necessary.
- Premier retracts decision to resign, citing need for continuity CNA 26 Nov 2018 -- Premier Lai Ching-te (賴清德) said Monday that he has decided to remain in his post in the interest of continuity, after his Democratic Progressive Party's (DPP) defeat in the local government elections on Saturday.
- Taiwan Election Results Pressure Ruling Party to Take Action toward China VOA 26 Nov 2018 -- The ruling party in Taiwan received a message this weekend to show more achievements, including engagement with the island's old nemesis China, as the opposition camp swept midterm elections.
- Brexit deal to cost Britain 100 billion pounds annually by 2030, research estimates People's Daily 26 Nov 2018 -- The British government's Brexit deal would cost the country 100 billion British pounds (about 128 billion U.S. dollars) per year by 2030, according to media reports on a research institute's latest estimates.
- UK economy to shrink significantly under May's Brexit deal: Study Press TV 26 Nov 2018 -- A major study suggests a controversial deal on withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, negotiated and championed by Prime Minister Theresa May, would rob the country of a significant portion of its wealth over the next decade.
- Theresa May's Brexit Deal May Cost UK Economy '£100bn' by 2030, Says New Report Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- With the parliamentary vote on Theresa May's Brexit agreement just around the corner, keen Remainers are keeping their eyes peeled for any and all evidence that throws the Brexit project further into question - they may have just been handed it.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|