16 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Forces Continue Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 16 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- New US drone raid kills 11 in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Afghan authorities say at least eleven people have lost their lives in a new US assassination drone strike in Afghanistan's troubled eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pacom Commander Credits Hawaii's Role in Indo-Asia-Pacific Rebalance AFPS 16 Jan 2016 -- Speaking to local government officials, private sector representatives and military leaders, the commander of U.S. Pacific Command emphasized Hawaii's importance in the future of the Indo-Asia-Pacific theater during an annual meeting for the local Military Affairs Council, Jan. 15.
- Russian Navy to Receive 42 Vessels in 2016 - Navy Shipbuilder Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Russia's navy will get 42 ships and supply vessels in 2016, Navy Ship Building Directorate head Captain 1st rank Vladimir Tryapichnikov said Saturday.
- Russia Moves Closer to Building New Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- After decades-long efforts to restore its shipbuilding industry following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia finally seems to have obtained serious capabilities.
- Deadly Typhoon: Russian Army to Receive Over 40 Tornado Rocket Systems Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- The Tornado rocket systems can fire salvos of 12 guided rockets and cover an area of 60 hectares.
- Formidable Boost: China to Produce Cutting-Edge Aircraft Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLA) will soon receive a substantial improvement in its aerial combat and transportation capabilities, according to military observers.
- Indian Airbases to Undergo Security Checks After Militant Attack Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Indian airbases will undergo security checks after a militant attack that killed at least seven security personnel earlier this year, Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said Saturday.
- Italy Sends Fighter Aircraft to Birgi Base Amid Concerns Over Libya Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Italy's Defense Ministry has ordered the deployment of four AMX fighter aircraft and one Predator drone to its Birgi base near Trapani.
- Saudi warplanes kill 30 in NW Yemen Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- At least 30 people have been killed in a Saudi airstrike in northwestern Yemen, a day after six troops were killed at a military base of the kingdom near the border.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Airstrike Hits Pharmaceutical Factory in Yemen Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- The Saudi-led coalition carried out an airstrike on a pharmaceutical plant to the south of the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, a source in the security forces told Sputnik on Saturday.
- UNICEF, WHO appeal for the lifting of siege on communities in Syria IRNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Delivery of urgently needed humanitarian supplies to the besieged communities of Madaya, Foua'a and Kafraya is a welcome step for a population in desperate need, UNICEF and WHO said in a joint statement.
- Syrians starving in Daesh-blockaded Deir Ezzor Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- The United Nations (UN) says about 20 Syrians died of starvation last year in the city of Deir Ezzor, where Daesh terrorists have imposed a siege.
- Syrian army launches massive operation to liberate Aqrab town in Homs Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian army, backed by fighters from allied popular forces, has launched a massive operation to retake the strategic town of Aqrab in the central province of Homs from Takfiri militants.
- Syria fighters ready for operation to liberate Aleppo Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian army is preparing for its biggest operation since the beginning of the conflict to recapture the country's second city of Aleppo.
- 7 killed in two separate attacks in northern Mali Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Armed assailants in Mali have killed at least two soldiers and a security guard in two separate attacks in which four militants were also gunned downed by government forces.
- N. Korea Offers to Halt Nuclear Tests in Exchange for Peace Treaty VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- North Korea says it will stop conducting nuclear tests in exchange for a peace treaty with the United States and an end to joint military exercises between Washington and Seoul.
- North Korea offers to stop nuclear tests Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- North Korea says it would stop its nuclear tests if the United States signed a peace treaty with Pyongyang and stopped its joint annual military maneuvers with South Korea.
- IAEA Director General's Statement on Iran IAEA 16 Jan 2016 -- "Today, I released a report confirming that Iran has completed the necessary preparatory steps to start the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. The report was submitted to the IAEA Board of Governors and to the United Nations Security Council."
- Remarks on Implementation Day US Dept. of State 16 Jan 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- Confirmation of Verification of Iranian Actions Pursuant to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action US Dept. of State 16 Jan 2016 -- Press Statement by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- Iran Sanctions Lifted as Nuclear Deal Reaches 'Implementation Day' VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency on Saturday certified that Iran had met the provisions of the nuclear deal crafted by world powers, a move that cleared the way for Tehran to get relief from crippling international nuclear-related sanctions.
- Iran To Rejoin World Markets With Implementation Of Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Now that a decade of UN, EU, and U.S. sanctions over Iran's nuclear program should soon be coming to an end with the implementation of Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers, this could release upwards of $100 billion of Iranian-assets that have been frozen in the West and pave the way for a surge in Iranian oil exports.
- UN welcomes report on Iran completing required nuclear measures, calling it 'significant milestone' UN News 16 Jan 2016 -- Following the release of a report confirming that Iran has completed necessary preparatory steps to start the implementation of a plan of action aiming to resolve the nuclear issue, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the achievement of having reached "Implementation Day," highlighting that he is heartened by the lifting of sanctions on Iran.
- Obama signs executive order lifting Iran sanctions Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has signed an executive order lifting US economic sanctions on Iran, the White House announced.
- Iran, US Swap Prisoners as Nuclear Deal is Finalized VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran and the United States each released prisoners Saturday in a complex swap agreed on just before diplomats in Vienna announced implementation of a nuclear pact between a group of global powers and Iran.
- Statement from PM Netanyahu's Office Israel Prime Minister's Office 16 Jan 2016 -- "Israel will continue to monitor the implementation of the agreement and will warn about any violation."
- Joint statement by EU High Representative Federica Mogherini and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif European External Action Service 16 Jan 2016 -- "Today, we have reached Implementation Day of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). Ever since Adoption Day, we worked hard and showed mutual commitment and collective will to finally bring the JCPOA to implementation. Today, six months after finalisation of the historic deal, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has verified that Iran has implemented its nuclear related commitments under the JCPOA."
- 7 Released Iranians All Linked to Trade Sanction Offenses VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- The seven Iranian prisoners the United States agreed to swap Saturday for four Americans all were accused or convicted of violating economic sanctions against Iran aimed at forcing it to abandon any effort to build a nuclear weapon.
- Prisoner Swap, Nuclear Deal Draw Fire in US, Iran VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- U.S. political leaders voiced relief Saturday at the news that Iran was releasing five detained Americans, although several Republican Party presidential hopefuls renewed attacks on President Barack Obama for approving a related nuclear deal with Tehran that lifts economic sanctions.
- Iran, EU Announce Implementation Of Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran and the European Union agree that Tehran has kept its nuclear promises and that sanctions relief for Iran can now be implemented.
- Iran's Zarif Says Sanctions To Be Lifted Today RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says international sanctions against Tehran will be lifted on January 16.
- Iran Frees Washington Post Reporter RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Tehran has freed Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian and three other Iranian-American dual nationals in a prisoner swap deal that also saw Washington release seven Iranian nationals.
- Iran's Move To Add To Oil Glut Sends Global Markets Reeling RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Oil prices plummeted to $29 a barrel on an expected increase in Iranian oil exports as international sanctions are lifted this weekend, dragging stock markets sharply lower around the world on January 15.
- IAEA confirms Iran honored commitments to JCPOA IRNA 16 Jan 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) released a report on Saturday, confirming that Iran honored commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Amano: Iran fulfills commitments to JCPOA IRNA 16 Jan 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) released a report on Saturday, confirming that Iran honored commitments to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Zarif, Mogherini read joint statement to declare start of JCPOA IRNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini read a joint statement on implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and removal of sanctions imposed against Iran.
- Iran: All sanctions to be annulled today ISNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said "all oppressive sanctions imposed against the Islamic Republic will be annulled today."
- Zarif in Vienna to finalize JCPOA implementation ISNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif arrived Vienna on Saturday to discuss progress towards final implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Sanctions imposed over Iran's nuclear program lifted Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Sanctions imposed on Iran over its nuclear program are lifted following confirmation of Tehran's commitment to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- IAEA confirms Iran's nuclear commitment to JCPOA Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirms that Iran has remained committed to a nuclear agreement with the world powers.
- Technical clarifications underway in Iran deal: Washington Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Officials at the US State Department have announced that Iran's nuclear agreement with permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany (P5+1) is on course to be implemented as "no major issue" remains.
- Iran refreshes pledge to up oil exports Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran said on Saturday that it is still determined to raise its oil output by 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) as soon as the sanctions on its oil industry are lifted.
- Iran: All sanctions to be annulled today Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says "all oppressive sanctions imposed against the Islamic Republic will be annulled today."
- Full text of Tsai's victory speech at international press conference CNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan elected its first female president on Saturday. In her victory speech, President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) of the Democratic Progressive Party vowed to maintain peace and stability with China, end Taiwan's political polarization, and carry out reforms to build a more transparent and accountable government and one that is steadfast in protecting Taiwan's sovereignty.
- Taiwan Elects First Female President VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's voters elected Tsai Ing-wen Saturday as the island's first female president, delivering a crushing defeat to the Nationalist Party (KMT), which has focused heavily on growing relations with China since coming to power eight years ago.
- Taiwan president-elect vows to maintain peace, stability with China CNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's newly elected president Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Saturday vowed to maintain peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait after her administration takes office in May.
- Eric Chu concedes defeat CNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Eric Chu (朱立倫), the presidential candidate of the ruling Kuomintang, conceded defeat in Saturday's election, saying that the party has lost the presidential and legislative elections, which is 'an unprecedented big change' for the party.
- DPP takes presidency, legislature for the first time CNA 16 Jan 2016 -- The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) won both Taiwan's presidency and control of the country's legislature for the first time in history Saturday, scoring a resounding victory over the ruling Kuomintang (KMT).
- Cabinet to resign following KMT election defeat CNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Premier Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) said Saturday he has tendered his resignation to President Ma Ying-jeou and will not accept any attempt to have him remain in his post.
- China warns Taiwan against independence activities Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- China has warned Taiwan against any independence activities, after the leader of Taiwan's pro-independence opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) emerged victorious in the island's presidential election.
- Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen wins presidential election Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen from the pro-separation opposition has won the presidential election, signaling a growing political gap between the East Asian island and mainland China.
- Japan, S Korea, US Assert Readiness to Counter Pyongyang Provocations Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Japan, South Korea and the US expressed their readiness to respond to provocative moves by North Korea.
- Nothing Can Shake Strong Will of DPRK: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 16 Jan 2016 -- Nothing can shake the indomitable will and stamina of the army and people of the DPRK full of conviction of victory, keenly aware of the justice of their cause, whatever manifold difficulties and trials they may face due to the moves of the U.S. imperialists and its followers to stifle the DPRK, says Rodong Sinmun Saturday in an article.
- Stop to War Drills against North Essential for Improving Inter-Korean Relations: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 16 Jan 2016 -- War drills being staged in south Korea have been a main factor of disturbing peace in the Korean Peninsula and aggravating distrust and confrontation between the north and the south, says Rodong Sinmun Saturday in an article.
- Burkina Faso: 126 Hostages Freed, 3 Militants Killed as Hotel Siege Ends Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- News emerged of gunmen taking over a hotel close to the Splendid Hotel and the Cappuccino restaurant in the capital of Burkina Faso where a security rescue operation recently ended after an unknown number of gumen linked to al-Qaeda took hostages, according to AFP with reference to the Security and Internal Affairs minister.
- 30 hostages freed from militants-held hotel in Burkina Faso People's Daily 16 Jan 2016 -- Some 30 hostages have been freed from the Splendid Hotel that was attacked by an Al-Qaidaaffiliate Friday, Burkina Faso's Minister of Communications Remis Dandjinou said Saturday.
- Al-Qaeda group claims raid at Burkina Faso hotel, at least 20 dead People's Daily 16 Jan 2016 -- An Al-Qaeda affiliate has claimed responsibility for the hotel attack which has so far killed 20 in the capital of Burkina Faso Friday, a U.S.-based monitor group said on its website.
- Deadly Islamist Militants Attack on Burkina Faso Hotel is Over VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- Burkina Faso government officials say the siege of an upscale hotel that killed at least 23 people in the capital, Ouagadougou, has ended.
- ECOWAS Condemns Burkina Faso Terror Attacks VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), a regional bloc, has sharply condemned the terrorist attacks in Burkina Faso that left 23 people dead, including three of the jihadists, and at least 30 injured.
- Indonesia Arrests 12 Suspects Linked to Terror Attack VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- Indonesian police say they have arrested 12 people allegedly connected to this past week's deadly Islamic State-linked terror attack in the capital.
- With New Ebola Death, Sierra Leone, Region Suffer Setback VOA 16 Jan 2016 -- The West African nation of Sierra Leone is re-starting the 42-day countdown to being declared free of transmission of the Ebola virus after a woman died of the deadly virus. It is a setback for the nation after it was declared Ebola free for two months. Health officials are now on the alert for more cases just as the deadliest outbreak on record appeared to be ending.
- Portuguese Court Demands CIA Agent Extradition to Italy for Rendition Crime Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- A Portuguese court of appeals has ordered the extradition of a former CIA officer who was convicted in absentia for her alleged role in the rendition of a suspected terrorist.
- Pakistan has executed 332 people since late 2014: Report Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan's Ministry of the Interior and Narcotics Control says more than 330 people have been executed in the country since late 2014.
- Pakistan Arrests Leader Of Banned Kashmiri Militant Group RFE/RL 16 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan has arrested the leader of an outlawed militant group that has fought Indian rule in Kashmir for decades in a sweep of militants suspected of attacking an Indian air base this month.
- Over dozen remanded in custody in Turkey over alleged eavesdropping Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Turkey has remanded in custody more than a dozen people as part of a probe into alleged forging of official documents and eavesdropping on top officials, including President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- West Africa: UN Security Council welcomes positive developments, but concerned about political tensions UN News 16 Jan 2016 -- Welcoming positive political developments in West Africa, in particular the holding of peaceful elections in Nigeria, Togo, Burkina Faso, Guinea and Côte-d'Ivoire, members of the UN Security Council stressed the importance of the upcoming elections in Niger, Benin, Cabo Verde, Ghana and The Gambia to be "free, fair, peaceful, inclusive and credible."
- Maduro Declares Emergency Without Consulting Venezuelan Economy Officials Sputnik 16 Jan 2016 -- Secretary-General of the Democratic Unity Roundtable, Jesus Torrealba said that President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro signed a decree on a state of economic emergency without holding consultations with Venezuela's sectorial authorities.
- Venezuela president declares economic emergency Press TV 16 Jan 2016 -- Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has declared a 60-day nationwide economic emergency as his embattled government tries to tackle a deepening economic crisis.
- China launches Belarusian telecom satellite People's Daily 16 Jan 2016 -- China sent a Belarusian telecom satellite into intended orbit from southwest China's Xichang Satellite Launch Center at 12:57 a.m. Beijing time on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|