Saudi warplanes kill 30 in NW Yemen
Iran Press TV
Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:24AM
At least 30 people have been killed in a Saudi airstrike in northwestern Yemen, a day after six troops were killed at a military base of the kingdom near the border.
The fatalities came on Saturday during an air raid on residential buildings in the Dhahian district in the Sa'ada province.
Earlier in the day, Saudi warplanes carried out nine offensives against two places in the southwestern Ta'izz province's capital of the same name, the local al-Masira TV reported.
Yemen's official Saba Net news agency said the airstrikes had left a number of civilians dead and injured.
The attacks came a day after Yemeni snipers killed six troops at the al-Mahruq military base in Najran.
A British officer, affiliated with the infamous US security firm formerly known as Blackwater, was also killed in the al-Wazi'iyah district of the province, a military source said.
Meanwhile, US drones bombed an area near schools in the Dhubab district in the Tai'zz province.
On Friday, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said US and UK military advisers were present at a command room in Riyadh in the war on Yemen, working alongside Saudi forces.
"We have British officials and American officials and officials from other countries in our command and control center,' he said after a meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry.
'They know what the target list is and they have a sense of what it is that we are doing and what we are not doing," the Saudi foreign minister added.
The Saudi regime has been carrying out airstrikes against the Arab world's poorest nation since March 26, 2015. More than 7,500 people have been killed and over 14,000 others injured since the onset of the campaign.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|