19 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 19 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Military Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US admits Taliban downed F-16 in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- The US military has acknowledged that an F-16 fighter jet belonging to US Air Force was recently brought down by Taliban militants' fire in the troubled eastern Afghanistan.
- Taliban Remain Serious Threat in Provinces Around Kunduz VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- Afghan security forces remain on high alert on the highways surrounding Kunduz, holding only tenuous control of the region a week after Taliban extremists were driven from the northern city after days of fierce fighting.
- Pentagon Admits Mistaken Forced Entry at Bombed Afghan Hospital VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- The Pentagon acknowledged Monday that U.S. and Afghan troops probing the deadly U.S. bombing of a trauma hospital in northern Afghanistan smashed through a locked gate at the facility nearly two weeks after the October 3 attack, which killed at least 24 people.
- 'It Wasn't a Mistake': MSF Chief Slams US Bombing of Afghan Hospital Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- The head of medical charity Doctors Without Borders, whose hospital was destroyed in a US airstrike in Afghanistan earlier this month, has challenged Washington's official explanation for the attack, saying that he believed the bombing of the site wasn't a mistake and was in fact, deliberate.
Defense Policy / Programs
- HSC 84 Welcomed Home After 12 Years Forward Deployed NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- Current and former members of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 84 (HSC-84), the 'Red Wolves,' gathered together, Oct. 16, for a ceremony welcoming home the squadron after 12 years and seven months of being forward deployed.
- USS Fort Worth debuts in Exercise Malabar NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- The littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) participated in its first Exercise Malabar in the Bay of Bengal, Oct. 14-19.
- USS Benfold Joins U.S. 7th Fleet NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) arrived at Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY), Oct. 19 where she joins U.S. 7th Fleet's forward deployed naval forces.
- Commanders from U.S. 3rd Fleet, Naval Forces Japan Visit USS Chancellorsville NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- Vice Adm. Nora Tyson, commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet, and Rear Adm. Matthew Carter, commander, Naval Forces Japan, visited the Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG 62), Oct. 18.
- Theodore Roosevelt Wraps Up Malabar 2015 NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- The tri-lateral exercise Malabar came to a close as Indian, Japanese and U.S. naval forces completed training, Oct. 19.
- Navy to Search for El Faro Wreckage NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- Fleet Ocean Tug USNS Apache (T-ATF 172) departed Norfolk, Virginia, today to begin searching for wreckage from the missing U.S. flagged merchant vessel El Faro.
- USS Lassen Arrives in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia NNS 19 Oct 2015 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Lassen (DDG 82) arrived in Kota Kinabalu for a port visit Oct. 19, after conducting a routine South China Sea patrol.
- Alliance kicks-off live military exercise Trident Juncture in Italy NATO 19 Oct 2015 -- NATO Allies and partner nations kicked off the Alliance's Trident Juncture live military exercise on Monday (19 October 2015) during an opening ceremony at the Trapani air force base in Italy, launching three weeks of intensive training involving 36,000 troops from more than 30 nations across Italy, Spain and Portugal.
- NATO kicks off largest military exercise since 2002 Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and its allies have kicked off their biggest military drills in over a decade in the central Mediterranean.
- NATO Launches Largest Military Exercise in Decade VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- NATO has launched its largest military exercise in more than a decade, with the United States and its allies increasingly concerned about Russian military moves and growing instability in the Middle East.
- Russia Shows 'Impressive New Military Capabilities' in Its Syrian Campaign Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- Russia's successes on the Syrian battlefield seem to have come as a surprise for those, who thought Russian Armed Forces were stuck in the 1990s. The ongoing aerial campaign against extremists in Syria has likely dispelled this misconception.
- Iran unveils new radar system ISNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Iran launched a radar system dubbed 'Fath 14' in a massive military drill dubbed 'Muharram' and is underway in western and northwestern Iran.
- Iran launches new long-range radar system Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- Iran has unveiled a new long-range digital radar system which is capable of detecting enemies' strategic objectives.
- Iranian Air Force fighters bombard hypothetical enemy in military drill ISNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Iranian Army Air Force fighters successfully bombarded the hypothetical enemy in the military drill dubbed 'Muharram' and is underway in western and northwestern Iran.
- Iran's Army begins Moharram military exercise Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- The Iranian Army, backed by the Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base, has officially started a large-scale military drill in west and northwest of the country.
- Iranian peace flotilla leaves for Russia ISNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Iranian peace and friendship flotilla left for Russia from Anzali Port, northern Iran.
- China 'will never recklessly resort to the use of force' People's Daily 19 Oct 2015 -- Vice-Chairman of the Central Military Commission Fan Changlong said China 'will never recklessly resort to the use of force' even on issues regarding sovereignty, and China's construction of islands in the South China Sea helps provide better public services to the world.
- Game Changer: Chinese-Made Killer Drones Operating in Iraq Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Defense recently released a video displaying the launch of a Chinese-made CH-4B combat drone from al-Kut Air Base southeast of Baghdad, Iraq.
- UK armoured battle group takes part in Poland exercise UK MOD 19 Oct 2015 -- The UK's Lead Armoured Battle Group (LABG) is currently in action in a Polish-hosted multi-national NATO exercise.
- UK begins training Iraqi Forces in countering-IEDs UK MOD 19 Oct 2015 -- UK personnel have begun to deliver counter-Improvised Explosive Devices (C-IED) training to members of the Iraqi Security Forces in Iraq.
- US pledges more military support for Israel Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- The US military chief has pledged more cooperation with Israel amid Tel Aviv's brutal crackdown against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Russia to Supply Equipment, Helicopters for Egyptian Mistral Ships Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- Russia will supply equipment and helicopters worth over $1 billion for the Egyptian Mistral helicopter carriers, the Kremlin chief of staff said Monday.
- October 19, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2015
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 10/19/15 The White House 19 Oct 2015
- 19 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Oct 2015
- Japan Scrambles Jets Over Disputed E. China Sea Islands in Record Numbers Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- Japan, in the midst of a land dispute with China, scrambled fighter jets to prevent possible incursions by Chinese planes a record number of times from July through September, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Yemen: UN envoy completes visit to Saudi Arabia as part of efforts to secure peace UN News 19 Oct 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen today concluded a visit to Saudi Arabia before his briefing to the Security Council this week on his preparations for peace talks that he hopes will "lead to concrete benefits for the Yemeni people and the foundation for sustainable peace."
- Make do or die: healthcare in Yemen IRIN 19 Oct 2015 -- When Mohsen al-Matari's wife went into labour the week before last, she was advised to seek an emergency caesarean section. But the closest hospital in western Yemen turned her away, saying they weren't equipped for the procedure. Go to the capital, they told her.
- Yemeni army, allied forces kill over dozen Saudi troops Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- More than a dozen Saudi soldiers have been killed as Yemeni army troops backed by fighters from Popular Committees continue to gain ground in the kingdom's southwestern border region of Jizan.
- UN and partners deliver critical relief supplies to besieged areas of Syria UN News 19 Oct 2015 -- A joint United Nations, International Red Cross (ICRC) and Syrian Arab Red Crescent operation delivered on Sunday essential medical and humanitarian supplies to 30,000 people in the Fouah and Kefrayah in Idlib governorate and Zabadani and Madaya in the Rural Damascus governorate, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
- Syria militants admit receiving US anti-tank missiles Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- Foreign-backed terrorists fighting the Syrian Army south of the northern city of Aleppo say countries opposing the government of President Bashar al-Assad have sent them new supplies of US-made anti-tank missiles.
- Militant commander killed in Syrian Army ground offensive Press TV 19 Oct 2015 -- The militant commander of a foreign-sponsored Takfiri group has been killed during a clean-up operation carried out by Syrian government forces in Syria's strategic northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Fanning Flames of War: Syrian Opposition Receives New Batch of US-Made Arms Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- While the Syrian Army is liberating the country from the internationally recognized evil of ISIL, local rebels fighting the Assad regime received a new batch of US-made anti-tank missiles.
- Kerry Plans Multilateral Talks on Syria Political Transition VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday he will meet later this week with leaders from Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Jordan to discuss options for restarting the process of bringing a political resolution to the situation in Syria.
- Iraqi Kurdistan region seeking reconciliatiion with Iraqi gov't IRNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Prime Minister of Iraqi Kurdistan's Regional Government Nechirvan Barzani said on Monday that the regional administration is seeking reconciliation with the Iraqi central government.
- Central African Republic: UN police ambushed, illegally detained by armed group UN News 19 Oct 2015 -- Seven United Nations police were ambushed and illegally detained by armed elements Sunday evening in a province near the Central African Republic (CAR) capital of Bangui, according to reports from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission there (MINUSCA).
- N. Korea Calls for Talks on Formal Peace Treaty VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- North Korea Sunday rejected resuming international talks to end its nuclear program and instead called upon the United States to negotiate a formal peace treaty.
- UN expert warns that despite Mali's progress, 'precarious security situation' endangers human rights UN News 19 Oct 2015 -- Wrapping up his recent visit to Mali, a United Nations independent expert noted positive developments on the ground but stressed that the "precarious security situation" creates an environment in which violation so of the most fundamental human rights can still occur.
- Araqchi: All parties determined to honor JCPOA commitments IRNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi said in Vienna on Monday that all parties honor commitments to implementing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and regular consultations to enforce the deal.
- Iran: NPT protocol, confidence-building measure ISNA 19 Oct 2015 -- Iranian ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that Tehran has decided to apply the Additional Protocol as a confidence-building gesture under the country's nuclear deal with six world powers.
- Iran Nuclear Deal Moves Forward VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- The international agreement on Iran's nuclear program moved forward Monday with the first meeting of the Joint Commission responsible for monitoring how both sides implement their parts of the deal, amid some optimism that the plan could roll out by the end of the year.
- Erdoğan's Tough Talk May Pay Off at Turkey Polls VOA 19 Oct 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's gamble to hold a snap election just months after voters denied his party a parliamentary majority may pay off, but only just, according to pollsters.
- Tension Rises In Balkans As Migrant Route Blocked RFE/RL 19 Oct 2015 -- Tension is building among thousands of migrants stranded in cold and wet weather in the Balkans after their route to Western Europe was blocked by new border restrictions.
- CIA 'Queen of Torture' May Face Prosecution in Germany Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- On Monday, a human rights group in Germany filed a complaint in federal court against Alfreda Frances Bikowsky, a CIA agent known as the "Queen of Torture," containing proof of her involvement in the kidnapping and torture of German citizen Khaled El Masri.
- Ousted President Yanukovych Takes Ukraine to European Human Rights Court Sputnik 19 Oct 2015 -- Yanukovych was ousted from power and had to flee Ukraine in a February 2014 coup followed by a snap election. Yanukovych has repeatedly said that Ukrainian courts had failed to investigate several attempts on his life.
- Politics prevents Nepal reconstruction IRIN 19 Oct 2015 -- Six months after a massive earthquake devastated Nepal, people are still living in temporary shelters as political wrangling has prevented the disbursement of billions pledged by international donors for reconstruction.
- China criticizes Abe's offering to controversial shrine People's Daily 19 Oct 2015 -- China on Monday criticized Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's offering as well as visits by two ministers to the controversial Yasukuni Shrine during the annual four-day autumn festival.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|