14 September 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 14 Sep 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Airstrikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Sep 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Hollande: Airstrikes in Syria 'Necessary' VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- A week after expanding its reconnaissance operations of terrorist groups from Iraq to Syria, France's president says strikes against Islamic State militants there are necessary.
- Taliban Storm Afghan Prison, Free Inmates RFE/RL 14 Sep 2015 -- Taliban militants have stormed a prison in the central Afghan city of Ghazni, killing police officers and releasing hundreds of prisoners.
- Taliban Storm Afghan Prison, Hundreds of Inmates Escape VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- Taliban insurgents have stormed a prison in central Afghanistan, allowing hundreds of inmates to escape.
- Taliban's ex-leader Mullah Omar died in Afghanistan: Son Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- The son of the deceased leader of Afghan Taliban militant group Mullah Omar says his father died of natural causes inside Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Comfort Visits Haiti for the Final Mission Stop of Continuing Promise 2015 NNS 14 Sep 2015 -- The Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) anchored off the coast of Port Au Prince, marking the start of Continuing Promise 2015's (CP-15) final mission stop on Sept. 10.
- Okinawa governor to cancel approval for relocation of US base Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- The governor of the southern Japanese island of Okinawa says he will cancel approval needed for work to relocate a contentious US air base from one area there to another.
- Readout of the Vice President's Call with Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic The White House 14 Sep 2015
- 95,000 Russian Troops Join Massive CSTO Military Exercise Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- Russian Defense Ministry announced that around 95,000 Russian troops and over 7,000 pieces of military equipment are taking part in large-scale strategic exercises in the Central Military District.
- Russia's Northern Fleet Begins Major Exercise in Kola Polar Region Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- A spokesman for the Russian Northern Fleet said that command post exercises involving warships and submarines commenced in northwestern Russia.
- If Mistrals Sold to Egypt or India, Russian Equipment Won't Be Removed Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- A French official cited by defense news website Defense One said that Moscow has signaled that Russian telecommunications and missile control systems installed onboard the Mistral helicopter carriers may not be removed, if Egypt or India were to purchase the warships.
- Pentagon: Russia Apparently Building Forward Operations Base In Syria RFE/RL 14 Sep 2015 -- The United States says Russia's latest movements at an airfield in Syria suggest it is planning to establish a forward air-operating base in Syria.
- Russia constructs runway, deploys military advisors in Syria, : Report Press TV 13 Sep 2015 -- Russia is establishing a runway in Syria's western province of Latakia and has brought hundreds of its military advisers, experts, and technicians to the war-torn country, a report says.
- Pentagon: Russia Apparently Setting Up Air Base in Syria VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- The U.S. Defense Department has confirmed reports that Russia appears to be setting up an air base in Syria.
- South Korea Warns North Against Rocket Launch VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- South Korea on Tuesday warned North Korea against conducting a long-range rocket launch, a day after Pyongyang hinted it may launch a satellite during a key political anniversary next month.
- Iran putting into service new long-range radar system Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Iran is putting into service a domestically-developed long-range radar system that would further boost the country's air defense capability.
- Poland, Sweden sign deal to boost military ties Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- NATO member Poland has inked a deal with non-member Sweden to boost military cooperation in a bid to repel alleged threats from Russia in the region.
- Sweden Edges Closer to NATO With Polish Military Agreement Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- Sweden has strengthened its collaboration with NATO and moved to bolster its military defenses after signing a military cooperation agreement with Poland, citing perceived Russian aggression in the Baltic Sea.
- September 14, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 14 Sep 2015
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Des Moines, IA, 9/14/15 The White House 14 Sep 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for September 14, 2015
- Antonov Concern Leaves Russian-Ukrainian Aircraft Venture Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- According to reports, Ukrainian government ordered the Antonov aircraft maker to cease business contacts with the UAC-Antonov joint Russian-Ukrainian venture.
- 14 September 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 14 Sep 2015
- Yemeni forces seize military base in Saudi Arabia's Jizan Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Yemeni forces have taken control of a Saudi military base in the southwestern border province of Jizan as part of retaliatory offensives against Saudi Arabia's ongoing invasion of their country.
- Dempsey: 'Terrible Human Suffering' in Syrian Conflict AFPS 14 Sep 2015 -- The Syrian refugee crisis and the 'terrible human suffering' could cause Europe to become 'more involved in the Syrian conflict,' according to the top U.S. military officer.
- Twin blasts kill 26, injures 70 others in northwest Syria Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- At least 26 civilians have been killed and 70 others injured in twin terrorist bombings in Syria's northwestern Hasaka City.
- Syria, Hezbollah make fresh advances in Zabadani Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Syrian army forces backed by fighters from the Lebanese resistance movement of Hezbollah have tightened their siege on the terrorists holed up in the key southwestern Syrian city of Zabadani.
- No End in Sight for Syria War VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- In the immediate wake of the Iran nuclear deal there was a flurry of diplomacy involving Washington, Moscow and Tehran with talk that the time might be right to hammer out an agreement to end Syria's four-year-long civil war. But with renewed commitments from Iran and Russia to shore up President Bashar al-Assad there seems no end in sight for the ruinous war of attrition that has left an estimated 240,000 people dead.
- How can Turkey protect itself and save Syrians? IRIN 14 Sep 2015 -- For four years Turkey appeared to be inoculated against the Syrian crisis. The violence that ravaged its southern neighbour was largely contained on the other side of the border.
- Daesh forces Iraqis to pay $800 each to leave town Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Members of the Daesh Takfiri militant group have demanded that the residents of a town in Iraq's conflict-ridden western province of Anbar pay hundreds of dollars if they wish to depart the area currently being held by the terrorists.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 15 militants in North Waziristan Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- At least 15 militants have been killed in the Pakistani army airstrikes in the country's North Waziristan tribal region, the Pakistani military says.
- Vote limbo for Central African refugees IRIN 14 Sep 2015 -- Attempts to foster reconciliation in Central African Republic could be derailed if refugees who fled to neighbouring states after a 2013 coup are unable to cast votes in the upcoming presidential election, billed as a major peacebuilding milestone.
- Did the Khmer Rouge commit genocide? IRIN 14 Sep 2015 -- During its short stay in power in the late 1970s, the Khmer Rouge killed about a quarter of Cambodia's population, but did they commit genocide? After four years of trying surviving senior leaders of the regime, a war crimes tribunal is only now attempting to answer that question.
- Venezuela denies Colombia airspace violation allegations Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Venezuela has dismissed allegations that its fighter jets had crossed into Colombia's airspace, accusing the Bogota government of 'inventing incidents.'
- War of the Words: Colombia And Venezuela Quarrel Over Military Flyover Sputnik 14 Sep 2015 -- The Colombian defense ministry said it will lodge a complaint that military jets from Venezuela entered Colombian airspace; its neighbor denies the claim.
- Two Ukrainian soldiers killed in troubled east Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- At least two Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in fresh clashes with pro-Russia forces in the restive eastern part of the country, despite a new ceasefire in the conflict-ridden state.
- Cameroon host to families fleeing Nigeria, Lake Chad basin – UN relief official UN News 14 Sep 2015 -- Families on the run often surviving brutal attacks in Nigeria are now threatened with the lack of food, water and deadly epidemics in neighbouring Cameroon, where they have sought refuge, the top United Nations humanitarian official in the region said today.
- Russian Rosatom to work with Iran to modify Fordo site application IRNA 14 Sep 2015 -- Russian Rosatom Company is working with Iranian partners on a plan to modify application of Fordo nuclear site, head of Russia's state nuclear company Rosatom, Sergei Kiriyenko said on Monday.
- Amano says Iran provided IAEA with explanations on outstanding issues IRNA 14 Sep 2015 -- IAEA Director-General Yukiya Amano said Monday that Iran provided the Agency with explanations in writing and related documents, to clarify the outstanding issues in line with the roadmap signed between Iran and the agency on July 14.
- Iran, US, China discuss re-designing Arak reactor IRNA 14 Sep 2015 -- Representatives of Iran, the United States and China held consultations on the sidelines of IAEA 59th General Conference in Vienna Monday to review the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action re-designing Arak research reactor.
- Iran hopes 'PMD' resolved by end of 2015: Salehi Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says Tehran hopes the issue of the so-called Possible Military Dimensions (PMD) in Iran's nuclear program will be resolved by the end of the year, Press TV reports.
- JCPOA, roadmap involve reciprocal measures: Iran Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- Iran says both its recent nuclear agreement with six world powers and a roadmap signed between Tehran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) entail reciprocal measures that should be observed "objectively" by both sides.
- EU extends sanctions on Russia for another 6 months Press TV 14 Sep 2015 -- The European Union (EU) has extended its sanctions on Russian officials and entities, saying the Ukraine-related bans will persist for another six-month period.
- Opposition Loss All But Official In Russian Regional Elections RFE/RL 14 Sep 2015 -- As Russians awaited official word on the outcome of nationwide regional elections, the results did not look good for the opposition.
- EU Ministers Agree On 32,000 Initial Refugee Relocations RFE/RL 14 Sep 2015 -- European Union interior ministers meeting in Brussels have agreed on an initial relocation of about 32,000 refugees away from Italy and Greece to other EU member states.
- FAO: N. Korea Food Distribution Dangerously Low VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- Food distribution in North Korea has dropped to dangerous levels, according to a United Nation's food agency.
- Myanmar Releases Voter Lists for Upcoming Elections VOA 14 Sep 2015 -- The election commission in Myanmar, also known as Burma, has announced its second round of voter lists for the upcoming general elections, the first since decades of military rule ended in 2011.
- UN atomic energy chief highlights importance of science and technology for development UN News 14 Sep 2015 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today stressed the importance of science and technology for development, as he highlighted the links between the Sustainable Development Goals that will be adopted by United Nations Member States next week and the work of the Agency.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|