28 May 2013 Military News
- Combined Security Force Arrests Haqqani Network Leader AFPS 28 May 2013 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Haqqani network leader and seven other insurgents during an operation in the Gardez district of Afghanistan’s Paktia province.
- Predator passes 20,000-hour mark in Afghanistan AFNS 28 May 2013 -- An MQ-1 Predator assigned here recently became the first Predator to pass 20,000 flying hours over Afghanistan.
- Operation Rising Sun III rounds out company-sized operations for ANA, U.S. partners Army News 28 May 2013 -- Following a four-day operation, soldiers of C/1-38th Infantry and Weapons Company, 6/205th Afghan National Army completed their final company-sized operation.
- NATO, Afghan Forces Kill Five Insurgents, Arrest Others RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force ays coalition forces and Afghan troops have killed five insurgents during military operations in Afghan provinces.
- Afghan Police Defectors Return to Fold, Kill 7 Colleagues VOA 28 May 2013 -- Two Afghan police officers who had recently rejoined the force after defecting to the Taliban, fatally shot seven of their sleeping colleagues.
- Seven Afghan policemen killed in insider attack: Officials PressTV 28 May 2013 -- At least seven members of Afghan National Police have been shot dead by their colleagues at a police outpost in the troubled southern Afghanistan.
- Militants Kill Afghan Police Officers At 'Friendly' Dinner RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Local officials say seven police officers have been shot dead by two militants during a "friendly get-together" at a checkpoint in the southern Kandahar Province.
- Russia-Led Group to Beef Up Tajik-Afghan Border Security RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- The leaders of the Collective Security Treaty Organization have agreed to reinforce the organization’s military capability and step up control at the Tajikistan-Afghanistan border.
- Task Force True Grit repairs vital roads Army News 28 May 2013 -- Seabees assigned to Task Force True Grit departed early to execute a Hasty Road Repair operations for Regional Command Southwest in Southwestern Afghanistan.
- 3 Afghan National Police headquarters facilities now complete in Western Afghanistan Army News 28 May 2013 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completed construction of three Afghan Uniform Police headquarters facilities in Western Afghanistan, well ahead of schedule.
- Soldiers-Sailors Train, Deploy As Total Force Army News 28 May 2013 -- Trainer/mentors assigned to First Army Division East's 4th Cav Bde provide Sailors and other members of Provincial Reconstruction Teams with the training they need.
- Raising the bar on respect for human rights in Afghanistan UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The Canadian-born Director of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan’s Human Rights Unit is now leading the effort to raise the bar.
- Gunmen Kill Polio Worker in Pakistan VOA 28 May 2013 -- Officials in northwest Pakistan say gunmen have opened fire on a female polio vaccination team.
- Gunmen Kill Pakistani Polio-Eradication Worker, Injure Another RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Pakistani officials say gunmen have shot dead a female polio-eradication worker on the outskirts of the northeastern city of Peshawar.
- Two anti-polio workers killed in NW Pakistan IRNA 28 May 2013 -- Unknown assailants opened fire on a team of polio workers in the Badbher area of north western city of Peshawar, leaving two women dead.
- Bomb blast in NW Pakistan kills peace committee leaders’ son IRNA 28 May 2013 -- A bomb blast took place in Pakistan’s north western Swat district killed son of a peace committee member.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Background Briefing on Secretary of Defense Hagel's Upcoming Trip to Shangri-La Dialogue from the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 28 May 2013
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Caitlin Hayden on the National Security Advisor’s Trip to China The White House 28 May 2013
- In China, U.S. Official Promotes Military Ties RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- The United States has called for deeper military relations with China that would "contribute to greater mutual confidence and understanding."
- Top US official calls for deeper Sino-US military ties ahead of summit PressTV 28 May 2013 -- A top US national security official has called for deeper military ties with China in areas such as fighting piracy, disaster relief and peacekeeping.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel and Deputy Secretary Carter’s Meeting with Tunisian Minister of Defense Rachid Sabbagh DoD 28 May 2013
- F-35B celebrates 1 year at Eglin AFNS 28 May 2013 -- The Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron-501 celebrated the one-year anniversary of flying the F-35B Lightning II by continuing to train up the pilots and maintainers on the nation's newest fifth-generation fighter.
- Camp Novo Selo welcomes new command Army News 28 May 2013 -- Responsibility for the Multinational Battle Group-East Forward Command Post transferred from 1-118th Infantry to 1-38th Cavalry.
- JRD-East changes hands for KFOR mission Army News 28 May 2013 -- Joint Readiness Detachment-East changed hands from 1-8th Infantry to the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade.
- Task Force Medical transfers authority at Camp Bondsteel Army News 28 May 2013 -- Task Force Medical 16 transferred authority to Task Force Medical 17 at a ceremony held at Camp Bondsteel May 25.
- U.S. Navy and Indonesian Navy Ships Get Underway for At Sea Phase of 19th CARAT Indonesia Exercise NNS 28 May 2013 -- Three U.S. Navy ships and two TNI-AL ships got underway to participate in the at sea phase of the CARAT Indonesia exercise.
- MFE, MCSCG, Air Ground Integration conference takes off USMC News 28 May 2013 -- Marine Forces Europe launched the first ever Polish Air-Ground Integration conference.
- Fading 14th MI Battalion trains other intelligence units Army News 28 May 2013 -- The 14th Military Intelligence Battalion has maintained a full schedule in helping to train other intelligence units over the last few months.
- Proliferation Security Initiative 10th Anniversary High-Level Political Meeting Outcomes US Dept. of State 28 May 2013
- U.S., EU Lead Global Nonproliferation, Biosurveillance Efforts AFPS 28 May 2013 -- As nuclear, biological and chemical threats continue to evolve worldwide, partnership between the United States and European Union countries to counter such threats remains critical.
- Four-Star General in Eye of US Cyber Storm VOA 28 May 2013 -- Depending on your point of view, U.S. General Keith Alexander is either an Army four-star trying to stave off a cyber Pearl Harbor attack, or an overreaching spy chief.
- FACT SHEET: United States Support for the Caribbean Basin Security Initiative The White House 28 May 2013
- Army North's Task Force 51 tackles homeland mission from Fort Bliss, Fort Sam Houston Army News 28 May 2013 -- In any disaster, local first responders start the recovery process.
- Corps of Engineers begins post-Sandy comprehensive study of North Atlantic coast Army News 28 May 2013 -- As directed by Congress, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers scientists and engineers launched a collaborative study on the North Atlantic coast.
- New commander at 911th takes change Army News 28 May 2013 -- The 911th Technical Rescue Engineer Company has a new commanding officer.
- Future Decision Makers Get 'Crash Course' on Unmanned Robotics NNS 28 May 2013 -- U.S. Naval War College students participated in a presentation and discussion of unmanned robotic systems with ReconRobotics, Inc. and Hydroid, Inc. at NWC in Newport, R.I., May 23.
- F-15 crashes in Pacific, pilot safe AFNS 28 May 2013 -- Japan Air Self Defense Force rescue squadron crews safely recovered the pilot who ejected from a Kadena-based F-15 aircraft over the Pacific Ocean approximately 70 miles east of Okinawa at around 9 a.m. May 27.
- US F-15 fighter jet crashes in waters off Japan PressTV 28 May 2013 -- An American F-15 fighter jet has crashed in waters off US-run Kadena Air Base on Okinawa Island in southern Japan due to a “technical malfunction.”
- VR-62 'Nomads' Rescue Five Adrift Sailors NNS 28 May 2013 -- A crew from Fleet Logistics Support Squadron Six Two helped rescue a boat and five people who were adrift and lost at sea last week.
- CSTO Holds Informal Summit RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- An informal summit of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) has been held in the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek.
- Russia, NATO to Hold Joint Black Sea Drills RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- Russia and NATO will conduct a joint naval exercise in the Black Sea this coming fall, Russia’s envoy to NATO said.
- Russian Warplanes Go on 24-Hour Duty in Snap Alert Drill RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- MiG-31 Foxhound interceptors are going on round-the-clock duty in northern Russia as part of a snap combat readiness check of the nation's aerospace defense capabilities.
- Russian Military Helicopter Crash Kills One RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says that a military helicopter has crashed during a training mission.
- £600 million Royal Navy contract secures more than 500 jobs UK MOD 28 May 2013 -- The contract to maintain the eyes and ears of the Navy's ships and submarines will sustain 530 defence jobs across the UK.
- New bespoke kit for military aircrews UK MOD 28 May 2013 -- Military aircrews are set to benefit from new personal equipment designed specifically to meet their flying needs.
- Computerized war games to be staged annually: Taiwan CNA 28 May 2013 -- Computerized war games will continue to be held every year to strengthen inter-agency communication and coordination, the National Security Council said.
- President Ma takes part in computerized war games CNA 28 May 2013 -- President Ma participated in a virtual military exercise that simulated conflicts in the East and South China Seas.
- 6 female soldiers to serve on South China Sea islands CNA 28 May 2013 -- Six female volunteer soldiers are to be posted on remote Taiwan-controlled islands in the South China Sea, the Coast Guard Administration said.
- Iran assumes presidency of UN Disarmament Conference IRNA 28 May 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran has undertaken presidency of the UN Conference on Disarmament.
- Iran Army to install reactive armor on all armored vehicles PressTV 28 May 2013 -- The Iranian Army says it plans to equip all its armored vehicles with reactive armor to reduce damage from anti-tank missiles.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, May 28, 2013 US Dept. of State 28 May 2013
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 28 May 2013 United Nations 28 May 2013
- Successful peacekeeping operations require forward planning, strategic focus – UN official UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- Getting operations up and running is a joint venture that takes many months and involves several actors.
- Obstacles Hinder International Peace Conference on Syria VOA 28 May 2013 -- The US and Russia are trying to arrange a conference to bring about a political settlement.
- Syria Crisis Deepens With Arms Race, Assad Gains VOA 28 May 2013 -- It has been a tough couple of days for the Syria conflict.
- Russia Says Missile System for Syria Will Deter Foreign Attacks VOA 28 May 2013 -- A senior Russian diplomat says Moscow plans to provide advanced air defenses to Damascus to deter foreign military action against Syria's pro-Russian government.
- Missile Delivery Prevents Foreign Meddling in Syria – Russia RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- Russia’s delivery of S-300 air defense systems to Syria is a restraining factor against possible foreign interference in the Syrian conflict.
- S-300 missiles stabilizing factor in Syria: Russia PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Russia has defended its decision to supply Syria with sophisticated S-300 anti-aircraft missiles, saying the system will help deter foreign intervention in the Arab country.
- Russia Criticizes EU for Dropping Syrian Rebel Arms Ban VOA 28 May 2013 -- Russia has criticized the European Union's decision to amend its arms embargo on Syria, saying the move will hurt efforts to hold a peace conference aimed at ending the country's violence.
- Russia 'Disappointed' By EU's Move To Lift Syria Arms Embargo RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Russia says the lifting of a European Union arms embargo on Syria will "directly harm" the prospects of holding a peace conference.
- Moscow Slams EU Move to Lift Syria Arms Ban RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- The European Union’s decision to end the embargo on arms supplies to the Syrian opposition is illegitimate and at odds with the norms of international law.
- Russia slams EU's lifting of arms ban on Syria militants PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Russia says that the European Union’s decision to lift a ban on arming the militants in Syria “directly harms” the prospects of a forthcoming peace conference in Geneva.
- Scrapped Syrian Arms Ban May Draw Terrorism to EU - Iran RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- The European Union’s failure to extend the arms embargo on Syria has brought the threat of terrorism from Syria to the borders of the EU.
- EU Ends Embargo On Arms To Syria Rebels RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- The European Union is ending its embargo on supplying arms to Syria’s rebels.
- Lavrov Says Syria Peace Talks A 'Tall Order' RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says arranging a Syria peace conference has been a "tall order."
- Syria: UN delivers essential aid to civilians affected by recent fighting near Homs UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency said it has delivered aid for thousands of people in an embattled suburb of Homs, Syria.
- Russian Jet Evacuates Some 130 People from Syria RIA Novosti 28 May 2013 -- A Russian government plane left Syria with some 130 people from Russia and other former Soviet republics who decided to leave the country amid the ongoing conflict.
- Fears Rise in Lebanon of Syrian War Spillover VOA 28 May 2013 -- Clashes on both sides of the Syrian-Lebanese border have raised fears Syria's civil war may be spreading into Lebanon.
- Militants give Hezbollah 24-hour deadline to stop assisting Syria army PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Militants fighting the Syrian government have given the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah 24 hours to stop fighting alongside the Syrian army.
- Hezbollah condemns recent rocket attacks on Beirut PressTV 28 May 2013 -- The Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah has condemned the recent rocket attacks on the capital, Beirut, carried out by ‘coward’ perpetrators.
- Three injured in Lebanon’s Hermel rocket attack PressTV 28 May 2013 -- At least three people have been injured after two rockets reportedly fired from the Syrian side of the border landed in the eastern Lebanese town of Hermel.
- Lebanon determined to defend sovereignty: Caretaker Premier Miqati PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Miqati says the recent attack on three soldiers near the Syrian border will not prevent Lebanon from defending its sovereignty.
- Study: Small Senegal Minority Supports Mali Jihadists VOA 28 May 2013 -- Researchers in Senegal say a small minority of Senegalese support last year's takeover of northern Mali by al-Qaida-linked jihadist groups.
- Mali Presidential Vote Set for July 28 VOA 28 May 2013 -- Mali will hold a presidential election on July 28, as the West African country tries to recover from its ongoing political crisis.
- Severe Water Shortage Hits Malian City of Gao VOA 28 May 2013 -- The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warns that inhabitants of Gao in eastern Mali are suffering from a severe water shortage.
- UN warns of acute humanitarian needs in eastern Mali UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The United Nations relief wing today warned of severe humanitarian needs in Gao in eastern Mali, including the need to rehabilitate the water supply and increase food assistance.
- Suspected US Drone Crashes in Southern Somalia VOA 28 May 2013 -- A suspected U.S. drone has crashed in southern Somalia.
- Bickering Continues Over Who Controls Somali Port City VOA 28 May 2013 -- Today al-Shabab militants are nowhere to be seen in the Somali port city of Kismayo, which was once their financial hub and their last major stronghold in Somalia.
- Sudan Stalling on Abyei, South Sudan Official says VOA 28 May 2013 -- A South Sudanese official Tuesday said Sudan is dragging its heels on implementing agreements the two countries reached last year, especially on issues related to disputed border areas, including Abyei.
- Bashir Could Again Stop South Sudans' Oil Flow VOA 28 May 2013 -- South Sudan is urging Sudan to use dialogue instead of action amid new threats from Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir to cut the south's access to his country's oil pipelines and port.
- UN peacekeepers cannot protect civilians in South Sudan: UN envoy PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Due to lack of troops and aircraft, the United Nations peacekeepers in South Sudan are not able to protect civilians affected by fighting in the east of the country.
- M23 Rebels in DRC Say They Can Hit Goma Airport VOA 28 May 2013 -- The rebel group M23 in the Democratic Republic of Congo has repeated its call for a ceasefire after last week’s fighting outside the city of Goma.
- Senior UN humanitarian official urges end to ‘horrors’ in eastern DR Congo UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- A senior United Nations relief official touring the region called for an end to the fighting.
- Hidat Teklom: Expanding civilian protection capacity with ‘flying cameras’ UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The United Nations starts to make use of unmanned aerial vehicles in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo this summer.
- France Calls for Action Against Islamists in Southern Libya VOA 28 May 2013 -- France urged African nations on Tuesday to make a concerted effort to tackle a growing Islamist threat in the deserts of southern Libya.
- Burma Resumes Peace Talks with Kachin Rebels VOA 28 May 2013 -- Burma's government has started a new round of talks with ethnic Kachin rebels who are fighting for greater autonomy and political rights in their resource-rich northern region bordering China.
- Iraqi leaders must immediately stop violence UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The top United Nations official in Iraq urged the country’s leaders to stop the bloodshed.
- 18 killed, 37 injured in fresh Iraq attacks PressTV 28 May 2013 -- At least 18 people have been killed and 37 others injured in a series of bombings and shootings across Iraq.
- More Deadly Attacks Hit Baghdad Area RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- At least seven people have been reported killed in fresh attacks in Iraq, a day after a wave of violence left scores dead.
- Philippines acknowledges shooting location in dispute CNA 28 May 2013 -- The Philippine Coast Guard on acknowledged that there is some dispute over the location of a fatal shooting incident at sea.
- Social, economic situation of Palestine refugee Bedouins is ‘nonviable,’ UN reports UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- The transfer of Palestine Bedouin families to an urban location has deprived them of social cohesion and is destroying their traditional economic base.
- Kadyrov Says Dream Is To Eliminate Insurgency Leader RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- The Kremlin-backed leader of Russia's republic of Chechnya has said his dream is to eliminate Islamic insurgent leader Doku Umarov.
- Georgia Angry Over Russian Installation Of Fence Along South Ossetian Territory RFE/RL 28 May 2013 -- Georgia's foreign minister has expressed concern over the installation by Russian troops of barbed-wire fencing along the administrative boundary of South Ossetia.
- Remarks to the Press by Vice President Joe Biden in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago The White House 28 May 2013
- Iran's Presidential Candidates Clash Over Nuclear Approach VOA 28 May 2013 -- A former Iranian nuclear negotiator running for president used his first television appearance of the campaign to reject accusations.
- No reformist alliance envisaged: Aref PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Iranian reformist presidential candidate Mohammad Reza Aref has dismissed rumors about having met with his reformist rival, Hassan Rohani, in order to forge an alliance.
- Over 50 million Iranians eligible to vote: Interior Minister PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Iran's Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar says that nearly 50.5 million Iranians are eligible to vote in the upcoming presidential election.
- Noth Korea Invites South's Businesses for Talks on Kaesong VOA 28 May 2013 -- North Korea says it is willing to hold talks with South Korean business owners on re-opening a joint industrial complex.
- CPRK Spokesman Urges S. Korean Authorities to Face Up to Trend of Times KCNA 28 May 2013 -- The south Korean authorities in a statement of the Ministry of Unification and press briefing totally declined the DPRK's offer for a joint event to mark June 15.
- Laos Deports 9 North Korean Defectors to China VOA 28 May 2013 -- Laos has sent back to China nine North Koreans who fled their impoverished homeland.
- Gunmen kill Shia lawyer, sons in Pakistan PressTV 28 May 2013 -- Gunmen in the Pakistani port city of Karachi have shot dead a Shia Muslim lawyer of the High Court of Sindh and his two sons.
- Pakistan's New Government Plans $5 Billion Debt Issue VOA 28 May 2013 -- Pakistan's new government plans to sell $5 billion in treasury bills to pay off a chain of debt choking the country's power sector and its economy.
- Burma's '2 Child Policy' for Muslims Criticized as Discriminatory VOA 28 May 2013 -- Rights activists are calling for Burma to end a two-child policy imposed on the Muslim minority Rohingya people to control their population growth in western Rakhine state.
- Libya's Congress Chief Steps Down Over Former Role VOA 28 May 2013 -- The head of Libya's national assembly said he was stepping down.
- African Neighbors to Help Fund Zimbabwe Vote VOA 28 May 2013 -- Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe said regional leaders will hold a summit to discuss how to fund an election later this year.
- Turkmenistan has long way to go in ensuring human rights, says UN official UN News Centre 28 May 2013 -- Despite some progress, Turkmenistan still has a long way to go in promoting human rights.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|