01 November 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Nov 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Arrests Taliban Facilitator AFPS 01 Nov 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban facilitator in Afghanistan’s Helmand province today, military officials reported.
- Report: Afghan Security Forces Face Infrastructure Challenges AFPS 01 Nov 2012 -- The Afghan government will have a tough time maintaining and operating the infrastructure for its national security forces once international forces leave.
- US Study Says Afghans Not Ready to Manage Forces VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- A U.S. government audit warns Afghanistan’s security forces may not be able to sustain themselves beyond a 2014 pullout of international troops.
- US Audit Finds Afghanistan Incapable of Sustaining Security VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- A U.S. government audit warns that Afghanistan will likely be incapable of sustaining its security forces beyond the 2014 pullout of international troops due to incompetence.
- Navy Healthcare Continues Unabated at Role 3 Despite Rocket Attack NNS 01 Nov 2012 -- Incoming rounds from a rocket attack did not deter Navy Medicine at the NATO Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit at Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan, Oct. 31.
- Rotation 8, 9 Georgia Training Team, Georgia Liaison Team Complete PTP USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- Marines and Sailors from U.S. Marine Corps Forces Reserve arrived at Marine Corps Security Cooperation to begin their one month pre-deployment training package in preparation to assume the role of the Rotation 8 and 9 Georgia Training Team.
- Thunderbolts return to Fightertown USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 251 returned to Fightertown after supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, maritime security operations and theater security cooperation operations from aboard aircraft carrier USS Enterprise.
- Malala's Schoolmate Says Taliban Bullet Has Only Strengthened Her Resolve RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Recovered after being struck by a Taliban bullet, 16-year-old Kainat Ahmad is now focused on two things.
- Update on the DoD and National Guard Response to Hurricane Sandy DoD 01 Nov 2012
- DOD Launches ‘Airlift Event’ to Support Sandy Relief AFPS 01 Nov 2012 -- The Defense Department launched “a significant airlift event” to quickly get power restoration equipment to New York.
- 26th MEU deploys in support of Hurricane Sandy disaster relief USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- Marines and sailors with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit deployed aboard the USS Wasp in support of Hurricane Sandy disaster relief efforts in New York and New Jersey.
- Airmen 'lean forward' to support East Coast relief efforts AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- In the wake of President Obama's call for the federal government to "lean forward" in response to the devastation left by Hurricane Sandy, Airmen from across the country are answering the call.
- Airmen respond to 'Sandy' relief efforts AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- A C-17 Globemaster III departed early morning Nov. 1 in support of Hurricane Sandy response operations.
- Coast Guard Responds to Superstorm Sandy Damage AFPS 01 Nov 2012 -- Coast Guard leaders Vice Adm. Robert C. Parker, Atlantic Area commander, and Rear Adm. Richard T. Gromlich, director of Operational Logistics, conducted an aerial survey of the New Jersey coastline, New York Harbor and Long Island.
- 59th Chemical troops return home Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- Families, friends and fellow Soldiers gathered early Sunday morning in Monti Physical Fitness Cen- ter to welcome home 110 members of 59th Chemical Company from a yearlong deployment to Kuwait.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama vs Romney on Foreign Policy VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- A look at where President Barack Obama, a Democrat, and Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney stand on key foreign policy issues.
- Notice - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Weapons of Mass Destruction The White House 01 Nov 2012
- Letter - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Weapons of Mass Destruction The White House 01 Nov 2012
- Fuel Operations at its best in the Pacific Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- The 505th is responsible for handling strategic bulk fuels in support of the Department of Defense activities while maintaining the United States Pacific Command's war reserve petroleum objectives.
- 83rd Ordnance - Focus on Mission Amid Future Inactivation Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- The 83rd operates and maintains four strategic ammunition depot locations to support PACOM's full spectrum operations and the Joint Munitions Command's maintenance and demilitarization programs in Japan.
- Space ops unit takes over newest GPS satellite AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- The 2nd Space Operations Squadron accepted satellite control authority of its third Global Positioning System Block IIF satellite.
- Unit helps protect from espionage Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- The 902nd Military Intelligence Detachment at Fort Jackson conducts operations and investigations throughout South Carolina to detect, identify, neutralize and defeat foreign intelligence and terrorism threats to U.S. Army and selected Department of Defense forces, technologies and critical information.
- Marines train with Osprey at Ie Shima USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- Marines conducted dual-point external training with an MV-22B Osprey at Ie Shima, Okinawa, Oct. 25.
- Republic of Korea, US Marines share expertise USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- The booming sound of rockets launching and spent casings hitting the ground marked the culmination of the last live-fire range during Korean Marine Exchange Program 13-1.
- Hungary-based Airmen write new chapter in mulitinational operations AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- American Airmen are writing a dynamic new chapter in multinational cooperation and flight operations.
- Multilateral field training exercise concludes USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- More than 1,300 personnel from eight nations conducted a multilateral field training exercise as the final phase of Exercise Croix du Sud at Kumac, New Caledonia, Oct. 21-25.
- Air Force awards $365 million Secondary Power Logistics Solution contract AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- Officials from the U.S. Air Force and Honeywell International Inc. signed a new eight-year, $365 million extension to the Secondary Power Logistics Solution contract to provide logistics and depot support for F-15 Eagle fighter aircraft.
- Corrosion control facility extends life of the Air Station USMC News 01 Nov 2012 -- The F/A-18 Hornet has been used by the Marine Corps for nearly three decades. Over time, parts and pieces of the aircraft begin to corrode, which can cause performance degradation.
- NAVSUP WSS Contract Receives Award from Secretary of Defense NNS 01 Nov 2012 -- A P-3 Orion performance-based logistics contract between NAVSUP Weapon Systems Support and Raytheon, McKinney, Texas was recognized by the Secretary of Defense.
- Army Reserve Stands Up 883rd QM Company, 315th QM Team Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- 883rd Quartermaster Company and 315th Quartermaster Team were officially activated during a combined activation ceremony at the Armed Forces Reserve Center in Broken Arrow, Okla.
- Technology captures 'fingerprints' of unexploded ordnance Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- The U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center, Huntsville, is capturing and cataloging what may best be described as the fingerprints of munitions items in an effort to improve how work is done at Formerly Used Defense Sites.
- CEMIRT brings reliable power to Ascension Island AFNS 01 Nov 2012 -- Reliable power is everything. Without it, an isolated location in the Atlantic like Ascension Auxiliary Airfield couldn't sustain its mission or provide adequate facilities for personnel.
- Hurricane strikes Fort Meade with minimal damage Army News 01 Nov 2012 -- Like much of Maryland, Fort Meade was spared the brunt of Hurricane Sandy as the superstorm pounded the Northeast.
- Russia to Keep Silo and Mobile ICBM Launchers in Future RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2012 -- Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces will continue deploying silo-based and mobile ballistic missile launchers in the future.
- Two Detained In Fraud Case Involving Russia Defense Contractor RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Russian legal authorities have detained two people in connection with fraud at the country's Oboronservis company, which oversees manufacturing contracts for the Defense Ministry.
- China Tests Fifth-Generation Jet Fighter RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2012 -- China successfully completed a test flight of its new fifth-generation J-31 jet fighter.
- Taiwan MND loses lawsuit seeking compensation in Lafayette case CNA 01 Nov 2012 -- The Taipei District Court ruled against the Ministry of National Defense in a civil lawsuit filed to seek compensation from individuals sentenced for taking bribes during the MND's purchase of Lafayette frigates from France.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, November 1, 2012 US Dept. of State 01 Nov 2012
- At General Assembly’s committee debate, UN senior official flags that ‘peacekeeping works’ UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- Two senior officials highlighted the key role that UN peacekeeping plays within the broader international peace and security arena, as well as its future priorities.
- In Syria, 28 Soldiers Reported Killed In Attacks On Army Checkpoints RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- A watchdog group says Syrian rebels have killed 28 government soldiers in attacks on three checkpoints on the main road from Damascus to Aleppo in the north.
- Syrian Rebels Claim 28 Soldiers Killed in Checkpoint Attack VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- Syrian rebels attacked three army checkpoints and killed 28 soldiers, an opposition group reported.
- US Looks for New Civilian Leadership in Syrian Opposition VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- The Obama administration is looking for a new group of Syrians to lead the rebellion against President Bashar Assad.
- U.S. Seeks Syria Opposition Revamp RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the United States wants to see changes in the leadership of Syria’s opposition.
- Analysis: Catch-22 for Syrian migrants in Lebanon IRIN 01 Nov 2012 -- Syrians in Lebanon are increasingly coming under attack as lingering anti-Syrian sentiment intensifies amid the current conflict next door.
- Russia Mulls Mali Arms Deal RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2012 -- Russia's state arms corporation Rosoboronexport is considering a request from Mali for arms supplies, Russia's Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Thursday.
- Letter - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Sudan The White House 01 Nov 2012
- Amnesty: Nigerian Security Making Insurgency Worse VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- Rights group Amnesty International says actions taken by Nigeria's security forces to combat the Islamist militant group Boko Haram are making the situation worse.
- Iraqi Vice President Sentenced To Death On Second Charge RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- An Iraqi court has convicted fugitive Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi of involvement in a plot to assassinate a senior Interior Ministry official.
- Fears Grow of Spreading Instability in Burma Sectarian Violence VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- Burma's President Thein Sein says armed groups, some foreign, are behind deadly sectarian violence in western Rakhine state.
- Pakistan's Balochistan opposition leader arrested IRNA 01 Nov 2012 -- Opposition Leader in Balochistan Assembly Yar Muhammad Rind has been arrested from courtroom on the orders of the Supreme Court.
- Is Kazakhstan's Zhanaozen To Be Wiped Off The Map? RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Mention Zhanaozen and those who are aware of the remote Kazakh town's existence will likely recall the bloodshed that took place there in 2011.
- Georgia Links Russia Ties to ‘Territorial Issue’ RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2012 -- Tbilisi is restarting its ties with Moscow “from a clean slate” but the restoration of diplomatic relations will be linked to the issue of the country’s territorial integrity, Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili said.
- Amid Heavy Security, China Readies for Leadership Handover VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- Senior Chinese Communist leaders have gathered amid heavy security for a closed-door meeting in Beijing, where they will put the finishing touches on a once-a-decade leadership handover that officially begins next week.
- China Prepares for Leadership Transition VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- Senior Chinese Communist leaders have gathered amid heavy security for a closed-door meeting in Beijing, where they will put the finishing touches on a once-a-decade leadership handover that officially begins next week.
- China Continues Crackdown on Dissent VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- China continued its latest crackdown on dissent by sentencing a man to eight years in prison for advocating constitutional democracy and criticizing the ruling Communist Party.
- China's New Leaders Face Economic Challenges VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- China's modern cities are built on a massive scale, with architecture in places such as Beijing that ranges from avant-garde to out of this world.
- Readout on Assistant Secretary Campbell's Travel to Japan and the Republic of Korea US Dept. of State 01 Nov 2012
- Ahmadinejad thanks Supreme Leader for guideline IRNA 01 Nov 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a letter to the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei thanked the Supreme Leader for his insights and guidelines on how the officials should behave before the next president election.
- Several Female Prisoners On Hunger Strike In Iran RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Nine female political prisoners have started a hunger strike to protest their conditions in Tehran's Evin prison.
- UN chief voices concern over ban on protests in Bahrain UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban expressed concern over restrictions Bahraini authorities have imposed on public demonstrations and other public gatherings.
- No normalization with Israel without apology: Erdogan IRNA 01 Nov 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan reiterated his country would not normalize relations with Israel as long as the Zionist regime does not apologize for last year's deadly raid on the Gaza-bound Mavi Marmara ship.
- Libya: UN welcomes formation of new Government UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Libya welcomed the formation of the country’s new Government.
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes decision on date for holding of Governorate Council elections next year UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- The United Nations top envoy in Iraq has welcomed the Iraqi Government’s decision to hold Governorate Council elections in April next year.
- Rebel Group Tries Comeback in Sierra Leone Polls VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- People in Sierra Leone will head to the polls to vote for a president and parliament in less than three weeks.
- Analysis: Burundi’s bumpy road to the 2015 polls IRIN 01 Nov 2012 -- The two billion US dollars pledged by donors on 30 October to support Burundi’s development sounds like a ringing endorsement of the central African country’s progress from civil war to peace and democracy.
- Conviction and Sentencing of Viet Khang and Tran Vu Anh Binh US Dept. of State 01 Nov 2012
- Russian Court Reduces Lebedev's Sentence, Clearing Way For 2013 Release RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- A court in Russia has reduced the prison sentence of the business partner of jailed oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky.
- Khodorkovsky's Business Partner to Walk Free in July RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2012 -- Platon Lebedev, the jailed business partner of Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, will walk free next July after an Arkhangelsk region court reduced his 13-year sentence by three years.
- Tymoshenko Refuses To End Hunger Strike RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Imprisoned former Ukrainian PM Tymoshenko has vowed to continue her hunger strike despite recommendations from doctors that she needed to start eating again.
- Ukraine's Ruling Party Holds 30 Percent RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- With more than 99 percent of party-list ballots counted from Ukraine's parliamentary elections, figures from the Central Election Commission show the ruling Party of Regions holding the lead with just above 30 percent.
- UN expert seeks open dialogue in Belarus UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- A United Nations independent expert called on the Government and civil society of Belarus to engage in an open dialogue with him to promote and protect human rights in the country.
- Clinton Urges Albanians to Safeguard Parliamentary Elections VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke to Albania's parliament Thursday, urging politicians to ensure that next year's parliamentary elections are free and fair.
- Clinton Urges Albania To Unite Behind EU Target RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called upon Albanian lawmakers to speed up progress toward European Union membership and step up efforts to enforce laws and fight corruption.
- Clinton in Albania on Last Leg of Balkans Tour VOA 01 Nov 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has urged Albania's feuding political factions to work together to push through democratic reforms and ensure free and fair elections next year, during a visit that coincides with the country's 100th anniversary of independence.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|