17 April 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Airstrike Kills Insurgents in Afghanistan AFPS 17 Apr 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force called in an airstrike that killed several insurgents in the Nerkh district of Afghanistan’s Wardak province.
- Panetta: NATO at ‘Pivotal Point’ in Afghan Mission AFPS 17 Apr 2012 -- Alliance’s defense and foreign ministers are scheduled to discuss Afghanistan security transition and alliance capabilities.
- Afghan President Wants US to Guarantee $2 Billion Annually VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai is focusing on ensuring international financial support after most Western combat troops leave in 2014.
- Afghan Leader Wants $2 Billion Annually From U.S. RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says that his government needs at least $2 billion a year from the United States after it withdraws its troops by 2014.
- Ugly Angels support narcotics, weapons search operation USMC News 17 Apr 2012 -- Their mission will require them to fly to the southernmost end of Helmand province to assist Marines while they search for narcotics and weapons.
- Australian Troops To Pull Out Of Afghanistan Earlier RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Australia will put out its troops from Afghanistan earlier than originally planned.
- Finding Closure in Closure: New York Army National Guard to Shut Down Afghan Bases Army News 17 Apr 2012 -- Closing bases in Afghanistan is a perfect fit for them, according to some Soldiers of the New York Army National Guard's 427th Special Troops Battalion.
- TACC leading effort for retrograde cargo from Afghanistan AFNS 17 Apr 2012 -- Planners at the 618th Air Operations Center are leading an effort to keep those aircraft full of cargo as they return from the deployed areas to the United States.
- Pakistan PM chairs meet on NATO supply route IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan’s top civilian and military leaders are scheduled to meet to make a final decision on the reopening of logistics supply line to NATO troops in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan says Taliban jail attack was intelligence failure IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Pakistani officials have said that Taliban attack on a prison in the country’s northwest was a total intelligence failure.
- Pakistan To Deport Bin Laden's Family RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Pakistani officials have confirmed that Osama bin Laden's family is expected to be deported from Pakistan early on April 18.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD News Briefing with Capt. James Morgan and Capt. Jonathan Olmstead DoD 17 Apr 2012
- Pacific Partnership Personifies ‘Whole of Government’ Approach AFPS 17 Apr 2012 -- The USNS Mercy’s upcoming deployment as part of the Pacific Partnership medical exercise personifies the “whole of government” approach to diplomacy and military-to-military relations.
- ARL participates in Directed Energy to DC Exhibition Army News 17 Apr 2012 -- The technologies will provide unprecedented solutions to defeat missile/RPG attacks and effectively protect our troops.
- NGA: Mapping Africa One Country at a Time AFRICOM 17 Apr 2012 -- When the U.S. military wants to head into un-chartered, or minimally chartered territory, they call on the experts of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
- 'Dagger' Brigade updates vehicle fleet Army News 17 Apr 2012 -- The Army's newest versions of two vehicles that have kept America's fighting men and women safe for more than a quarter of a century have arrived in the Flint Hills.
- U.S., Maylasia air forces conclude exercise Cope Taufan 2012 AFNS 17 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Air Force and Royal Malaysian Air Force concluded exercise Cope Taufan 2012 at the Royal Malaysian Air Force base here, April 13.
- VR-1 Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty NNS 17 Apr 2012 -- The commander of Fleet Logistics Support Wing relieved the commanding officer of Fleet Logistics Squadron 1, April 16.
- Vietnam hero to receive Medal of Honor posthumously Army News 17 Apr 2012 -- President Barack Obama has announced that Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr., a rifleman with the 101st Airborne Division, will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor May 16 for his actions during the Vietnam War.
- Secretary Panetta Remarks on Capitol Hill DoD 17 Apr 2012
- New Report Examines the History and Implications of Chinese Reactions to Taiwan Arms Sales US-Taiwan Business Council/Project 2049 Institute 17 Apr 2012
- Financial Crisis No Impact On Military Spending In Russia And China RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia and China were among the few nations to increase military spending last year amid the global financial crisis.
- Russia-China Su-35 Fighter Talks Frozen RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Negotiations on the sale of Russian advanced Su-35 Flanker-E fighters to China have been put on hold over Beijing’s refusal to buy a large consignment.
- Russia, Indonesia to Clinch $100M Armored Vehicle Deal RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia will soon sign a contract with Indonesia to deliver 37 infantry fighting vehicles worth more than $100 million.
- Malaysia in Talks with Russia on SAM, AT Missiles, Gunboats RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Malaysia is close to a contract with Russia on the delivery of Kornet antitank missile systems, Igla portable anti-aircraft missiles and is also negotiating a deal on Russian guided missile and patrol boats.
- OSCE Discusses Central Asia Border Security RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- A two-day ministerial conference ending on April 17 in Vienna has focused on border security in Central Asia after international military forces are pulled out of Afghanistan in 2014.
- NATO Secretary General holds talks with King Abdullah II of Jordan NATO 17 Apr 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen praised His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan for his country’s valued security partnership during talks at NATO headquarters.
- 16 Air Assault Brigade practises airborne skills UK MOD 17 Apr 2012 -- Soldiers from 16 Air Assault Brigade are training to maintain their role as the British Army's Rapid Reaction Force.
- HMS Westminster makes huge drugs haul UK MOD 17 Apr 2012 -- The Portsmouth-based warship intercepted a suspicious dhow in the Indian Ocean, seizing over 70 bales containing more than 180kg of pure heroin.
- Estonia Invites Japan to Join NATO’s Cyber Security Efforts RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Estonia has urged Japan to deepen its collaboration with NATO on cyber defense and to take part in joint cyber defense exercises.
- Military defends decision not to hold live fire exercises CNA 17 Apr 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense again defended its decision not to include live-fire drills in the annual Han Kuang exercises this year.
- In a first, indian Gov't penalizes defense firm for graft IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- In a first, India has seized a bank guarantee worth Rs 2.24 billion furnished by an Israeli defence vendor for breach of integrity pact.
- Iran Reports ‘Progress’ on Indigenous S-300 Missile RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Iran’s Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi has announced progress in the development and manufacture of an indigenous version of the advanced Russian S-300 air defense missile system.
- Iran considering to substitute S-300 this year, defense minister IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said that his ministry is considering plans to produce a system to substitute the S-300 defense system.
- Commander: US vessels in Persian Gulf, easy targets for Iran IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- The presence of American vessels in the Persian Gulf serves propaganda purposes for the US while they are considered as just easy targets for Iran.
- Iran Army highly capable of defending nation, Ahmadinejad IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that Iran’s Army will give a harsh and paralyzing response to any agressions to the nation's interests and dignity.
- Chinese Navy Commander underlines expansion of ties with Iran IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Chinese Navy Commander Admiral Wanng Zhauhai appreciated Iranian Army’s capabilities and experiences and underlined his country's willingness to expand ties with Iran.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney and Deputy Director of the National Economic Council Brian Deese, 4/17/12 The White House 17 Apr 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, April 17, 2012 US Dept. of State 17 Apr 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 17 April 2012 United Nations 17 Apr 2012
- UN disarmament official urges shifting more resources from military to development UN News Centre 17 Apr 2012 -- The top United Nations official on disarmament affairs encouraged world leaders to reassess their countries’ defence needs.
- French FM: Sanctions Against Syria Biting VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- The French foreign minister said sanctions against Damascus are working and have cut Syria's financial reserves in half.
- Syrian Forces Widen Attacks as Cease-Fire Unravels VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Syrian forces widened their attacks on opposition strongholds as an advance team of international observers worked to broaden its mission in the country.
- Syria Opposition Cautiously Encouraged By Talks In Russia RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Syrian opposition leaders meeting with officials in Moscow say they were encouraged by Russian statements supporting further democratization in Syria.
- Lavrov Tells ‘Third Parties’ to Stay Out of Syrian Conflict RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned against “third parties” becoming involved in the Syrian conflict.
- Syrian Internal Opposition Could Back Military Intervention RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Syria’s opposition National Coordination Body for Democratic Change signaled a possible rethink of its long-standing aversion to foreign military intervention in the violence-wracked Middle East country.
- Afghan ripples can reach Kashmir: Indian Army IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- With new resurgence in Taliban activities, particularly the spectacular attacks on Kabul, a top Indian army commander here has said its ‘ripple effects’ on Kashmir cannot be ruled-out.
- Urgent action needed to address ‘cascading crisis’ in Africa’s Sahel region – Ban UN News Centre 17 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban called on the global community to act quickly to address what he described as a “cascading crisis” sweeping the Sahel region of West Africa.
- Despite Fighting, Mbeki Confident Sudan Talks Will Resume VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Former South African president Thabo Mbeki has expressed confidence that Sudan and South Sudan will return to the negotiating table to get themselves out of what he calls "this state of war."
- UN rights chief condemns Sudan’s bombing of civilian areas in South Sudan UN News Centre 17 Apr 2012 -- The top United Nations human rights official condemned Sudan’s indiscriminate bombing raids that resulted in civilian casualties in South Sudan.
- Meeting with LRA victims, UN and African envoys pledge continued support UN News Centre 17 Apr 2012 -- Senior United Nations and African Union officials met last week with victims of the Lord’s Resistance Army in Dungu, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Israel Gets Peace-Talks Letter From Palestinians RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- A letter detailing Palestinian Authority President Mahmud Abbas's demands for restarting peace talks has reportedly been delivered to the Israeli government.
- Hamas Calls on Palestinians to Abduct Israelis RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- A senior Hamas official called on Palestinian militants on Tuesday to kidnap Israeli soldiers in order to exchange them for Palestinians captured by Israel.
- Gulf Leaders Discuss UAE-Iran Island Dispute VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Foreign ministers of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council are holding an emergency meeting in Doha to discuss an ongoing territorial dispute between Iran and the United Arab Emirates.
- Senior UN official concerned about worsening humanitarian situation in Yemen UN News Centre 17 Apr 2012 -- A senior United Nations official raised concern about Yemen’s humanitarian situation.
- Russian Peacekeepers to Remain in Transdnestr RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Moscow will not cave in to Western pressure and abandon its peacekeeping mission in Moldova's breakaway region of Transdnestr, the Russian president’s point man for the region said.
- Russia to Rearm Peacekeepers in Transdnestr RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia is planning to upgrade military equipment in service with its peacekeeping contingent in Moldova's breakaway region of Transdnestr, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.
- Abkhaz Authorities Say Ex-Minister Commits Suicide RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Authorities in Georgia's breakaway province of Abkhazia say a former interior minister has killed himself after being accused of masterminding an assassination attempt on the region's leader.
- Presidential Assassination Suspect Dead in Abkhazia RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- The former police chief of the breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia shot himself after being linked to the attempt at the life of Abkhaz President Alexander Ankvab.
- Macedonia On The Brink As Leaders Try To Calm Ethnic Tensions RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Recent violence between Macedonian Slavs and ethnic Albanians has sent tensions soaring to their highest level since civil war was narrowly avoided in 2001.
- US Military: Official's Statement 'Mischaracterized' by S. Korean Media VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- U.S. military officials say South Korean media took out of context a comment made at a Seoul news conference by the new head of the U.S. Pacific Command, Navy Admiral Samuel Locklear III.
- China Joins World Powers in Strong Warning to North Korea VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- China has joined other world powers in warning North Korea that they will not tolerate any more provocations after the isolated nation's failed rocket launch last week.
- Taiwan continuing to monitor Korean peninsula situation CNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Taiwan is paying close attention to developments on the Korean peninsula, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Tuesday, days after North Korea failed to launch a long-range rocket into orbit.
- North Korea Vows to Go Ahead with Space Program RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- North Korea will continue further development of its aerospace technologies, including a satellite program, despite the UN Security Council condemnation.
- DPRK Rejects UNSC's Act to Violate DPRK's Legitimate Right to Launch Satellite KCNA 17 Apr 2012 -- The DPRK Foreign Ministry Tuesday issued the following statement.
- Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session KCNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Kim Jong Un had a photo session with the participants in the 4th Conference of the WPK and the representatives for celebrating the centenary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung.
- Kim Jong Un Has Picture Taken with Builders of People's Theatre KCNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Kim Jong Un had a picture taken with soldier-builders and designers of the People's Theatre.
- Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Service Personnel of Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Kim Jong Un had a photo session with the service personnel of the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun.
- Israel Critical of Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Israeli officials say European Union-led negotiations over Iran's nuclear program are giving Tehran more time to develop nuclear weapons.
- 'What If The Iranian Establishment Needed Nuclear Weapons To Survive?' RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, who has the last say in all state matters, has spoken out publicly against nuclear weapons.
- Interview: U.S. Nuclear Official Samore Discusses Iran Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- International negotiators say they are encouraged that Iran is taking talks about its nuclear program more seriously than past efforts due to the pressure of sanctions.
- Lavrov: Russia seriously opposed to imposing any new anti-Iran sanctions IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov again strongly voiced Moscow’s opposition against imposing any new sanctions against Iran.
- Russia believes in innovative approach to Iran nuclear issue IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister and the country’s chief nuclear negotiator Sergey Riabkov said Russia believes in an innovative approach to Iran's nuclear issue.
- Salehi: Istanbul talks, starting point to end nuclear dispute IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said Tuesday that the Istanbul talks on April 14 might be considered as a beginning to end disptues on Iran’s peaceful nuclear program.
- Iran Media Say Country Holding 'Israel-Linked Assassination Group' RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Some 15 Iranian and foreign nationals have been arrested for alleged spying for Israel, attempted assassination, and sabotage.
- Mali Soldiers Arrest Key Government Figures VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Mali soldiers have arrested at least seven prominent political figures, raising questions about a promise by coup leaders to return power to civilians.
- Guinea-Bissau Military Accused of Repression in Wake of Coup VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- International human rights group Amnesty International said Tuesday that the military in Guinea-Bissau is increasingly restricting the rights of protestors, media, and some politicians after last week’s coup.
- Guinea-Bissau Junta Seeks New 'Constitutional Arrangements' VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Guinea-Bissau's military junta says it wants to work out a new "constitutional arrangement" for the country, defying international demands for the current constitution to be restored.
- African Union Suspends Guinea-Bissau VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- The African Union has suspended Guinea-Bissau's membership until constitutional order is restored in the turbulent West African country.
- Dalai Lama's US Visit Draws Attention to Tibet Turmoil VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Following a year in which more than 30 Tibetans set themselves on fire to protest Chinese rule in Tibet, the Dalai Lama is to begin a four-day visit to California.
- New Footage Depicts Self-Immolation in Tibet VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- A pro-Tibetan advocacy group says it has obtained video of one of the dozens of Tibetans who have set themselves on fire this year.
- Egypt Confirms Disqualification of 2 Islamists, Ex-Spy Chief From Elections VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Egypt's electoral commission has confirmed the disqualification of 10 candidates from next month's presidential election, including two prominent Islamists and the former spy chief of ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
- Egypt Confirms That 10 Barred From Presidential Vote RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Egypt's electoral commission has upheld a decision to ban 10 candidates from running for president in next month's election - the first presidential poll after the ouster in February 2011 of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak.
- Egypt Tries 75 Over Deadly Soccer Riots RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- The trial of 75 people connected with the deadly soccer riots in Egypt has been briefly suspended after defendants erupted in protest to proclaim their innocence.
- Corruption Charges Against Son of Equatorial Guinea Leader Prompt Slander Probe VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- International human rights advocates say France’s arrest warrant for Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue, known as Teodorín, is an important signal.
- Malawi Law Society Demands Prosecution of Civilian ‘Coup Plotters’ VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- The president of the Malawi Law Society has called for the prosecution of Cabinet ministers who, he says, orchestrated a failed “constitutional coup d’état” following the death of President Bingu wa Mutharika.
- Indonesia's Aceh Elects Ex-Rebel Governor VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- Officials in Indonesia say a former rebel won this month's governor's election in Aceh province, the only province in the country ruled by Islamic law.
- U.S. Credits Minsk For Releasing Political Prisoners RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. government has called Belarus’s decision to release a former presidential candidate and his campaign manager from prison “a significant step.”
- Washington Welcomes Release of Political Prisoners in Belarus RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- The United Sates regards the recent release of two political prisoners in Belarus as an important step toward the improvement of democracy in the country.
- Belarus President Postpones Address To Nation RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has rejected a draft of the annual address to the nation and postponed the date of the address.
- French Vote Sunday in First Round of Presidential Elections VOA 17 Apr 2012 -- French voters go to the polls Sunday for the first round of presidential elections with two top contenders dominating the campaigning - incumbent Nicolas Sarkozy and Francois Hollande, the Socialist Party candidate.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|