04 April 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 04 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Captures Haqqani Facilitator AFPS 04 Apr 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured a Haqqani network facilitator during an operation in the Pul-e Alam district of Afghanistan’s Wardak province.
- Suicide Bomber Kills US Soldiers in Afghan Park VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Afghan officials say a suicide bomber has killed at least 13 people, including three U.S. troops, in northern Afghanistan.
- Support Marines, sailors help EOD Company accomplish the mission USMC News 04 Apr 2012 -- EOD technicians with 2nd Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, 9th Engineer Support Battalion are actively engaged each day working to neutralize and eliminate these threats.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry cases colors Army News 04 Apr 2012 -- Proud onlookers fill the stands as 4,000, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Soldiers stand ready to deploy to Afghanistan.
- Pakistan PM asks US to respect country's sovereignty IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- PM Gilani reiterated in a meeting with a top American diplomat that new rules of engagements b must respect sovereignty and territorial integrity of Pakistan.
- On The Afghan-Pakistan Border, A Daily Echo Of British Colonial Bureaucracy RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- When Great Britain was at the height of its global power, its proudest denizens were fond of bragging that they inhabited an "empire on which the sun never sets."
- USS Elrod Seizes 1,000 Pounds of Drugs in Caribbean NNS 04 Apr 2012 -- USS Elrod, with assistance from the royal Netherland navy, intercepted a fast moving speedboat suspected of drug trafficking.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Announces Charges Referred Against 9-11 Co-Conspirators DoD 04 Apr 2012
- 9/11 Suspects Could Face Death Penalty VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The cases of the five suspected al-Qaida militants believed to have planned the September 11, 2001, terror attacks on the United States have been formally referred to a military tribunal.
- US Sends Five 9/11 Suspects to Trial Before Military Tribunal VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. military has formally ordered a military tribunal for five suspected al-Qaida militants, believed to have planned the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States that killed nearly 3.000 people.
- Five Al-Qaeda Suspects Formally Charged In 9/11 Attacks RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- The United States has formally charged five suspected Al-Qaeda militants with planning the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.
- Official Says U.S.-Russia ‘Reset’ Holds Challenge, Opportunity AFPS 04 Apr 2012 -- The strategic “reset” of relations between the United States and Russia is gradually bringing results, a senior defense policy expert said.
- McFaul Statement on Missile Defense ‘Arrogant’ - Lavrov RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Russian FM Lavrov described as "arrogant" a recent statement by U.S. Ambassador to Moscow McFaul on missile defense.
- Future of US, Russian Short-Range Nuclear Weapons Could Be on Negotiating Table VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The United States and Russia still have tactical - or short-range - nuclear weapons, most of them located in Europe.
- Joint Statement from Secretary Panetta and Singapore Minister for Defence Ng DoD 04 Apr 2012
- US Marines Arrive in Australia VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Marines have started to arrive in northern Australia as Washington strengthens its presence in the strategically vital Asia-Pacific region.
- Army upgrading Unmanned Aerial Systems Army News 04 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Army is moving along with a series of upgrades and technological improvements to its Unmanned Aerial System platforms.
- Apache Block III helicopter performs well in tests Army News 04 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Army's AH-64 Apache Block III next-generation attack helicopter is finishing up its Initial Operational Test and Evaluation.
- USS Frank Cable Begins Dry Docked Phase Maintenance Availability NNS 04 Apr 2012 -- The submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) entered dry-dock after an eight year period of tending submarines in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of responsibility, March 22.
- SecAF: In downsizing AF trades 'size for quality' AFNS 04 Apr 2012 -- In the current economic environment, the best course of action for the U.S. Air Force is to "trade size for quality," said Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley.
- Enterprise Carrier Strike Group Arrives in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 04 Apr 2012 -- The USS Enterprise and Carrier Strike Group 12 arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility, April 3.
- Greece hosts Phoenix Express 2012 Final Planning Conference, follows Enterprise CSG Visit NNS 04 Apr 2012 -- Greece continued to host partner navies this week following last week's Enterprise Carrier Strike Group visit to Piraeus with the exercise Phoenix Express 2012 (PE12) final planning conference, April 3-5.
- Robotic University opens new facility on Fort Leonard Wood Army News 04 Apr 2012 -- Fittingly, on Tuesday a Talon robot cut the ribbon on the new Robotic Systems Joint Project Office Robotic University at Fort Leonard Wood.
- Russia’s Nuclear Arms Industry Fraud ‘Systemic’ RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Military prosecutors have uncovered schemes to embezzle funds under contracts for modernization of Russia’s nuclear arms complex.
- Armenia Ready to Provide Site for Russian Radar RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- If Russia fails to agree with Azerbaijan lease of the Gabala missile defense radar, Armenia is ready to provide a site on its territory for construction of the radar.
- Interior Ministry Orders 8 Aerial Drones RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Russia's Interior Ministry has said it plans to spend up to 120 million rubles ($4 million) to buy eight unmanned aerial vehicles.
- New Royal Marines unit stands up in Scotland UK MOD 04 Apr 2012 -- Three-hundred Clyde-based Royal Marines were joined by family members and friends yesterday, 3 April, to mark the official formation of 43 Commando.
- India Inducts Nuclear Powered Submarine into Navy VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- India has introduced a nuclear powered submarine into its navy, becoming the sixth country in the world to operate such a warship.
- Indian Navy to induct Nerpa nuke submarine IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- India is all set to join the elite club of nations having nuclear-powered submarines with the induction of the Russian-origin 'Nerpa' into the Navy Wednesday.
- India to Commission Russia’s Nerpa Nuclear Sub RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Indian Navy will officially commission Russia’s K-152 Nerpa nuclear-powered attack submarine.
- Indian PM, Defence Minister dismiss report on troop movement towards Delhi IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony rubbished a news report on 'unusual' troop movement towards Delhi.
- Taiwan: Military trimming not complete until 2015 CNA 04 Apr 2012 -- The streamlining of Taiwan's military will extend to 2015, one year later than scheduled, due to the delayed passage of relevant laws.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Defence Unit on Ryo Islet KCNA 04 Apr 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected a unit on Ryo Islet defending a forward post on the east coast.
- Reception for Chinese Delegation in DPRK KCNA 04 Apr 2012 -- A reception was given for the visiting delegation of the diplomatic officials of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- Belarus to Build Vertical Takeoff Drones RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Belarusian State Military-Industrial Committee is planning to develop a range of unmanned aerial vehicles with vertical takeoff and landing capability.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 4/4/2012 The White House 04 Apr 2012
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, April 4, 2012 US Dept. of State 04 Apr 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 4 April 2012 United Nations 04 Apr 2012
- On World Mine Awareness Day, UN chief highlights global de-mining efforts UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban highlighted the work of United Nations mine action personnel around the world.
- UN Monitors Head to Syria as Violence Continues VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- United Nations monitors are headed to Syria in a mission aimed at decreasing violence in the country.
- Fresh Shelling in Syria Ahead of UN Visit VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Syrian forces launched fresh military operations in several regions, less than a day before an advance U.N. team is expected to arrive on a peace mission.
- Russia Deplores 'Egging On' of Syrian Opposition RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Russian FM Lavrov said that those "egging on" the Syrian opposition are not facilitating the settlement process in Syria.
- Syrian Opposition to Visit Moscow on April 17 RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Envoys of Syria's opposition will visit Moscow for talks on April 17-18, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Annan to Visit Tehran Next Week - Iran Foreign Minister RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Kofi Annan, the United Nations and Arab League special envoy for Syrian affairs, will visit Tehran next week to discuss the Syrian issue.
- No new Iranian citizen has been kidnapped in Syria: Embassy IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- Iranian embassy in Damascus said news about kidnapping new Iranian citizens in Syria is 'baseless'.
- Security Council concerned over deteriorating humanitarian situation in Mali UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- The Security Council expressed concern over the worsening humanitarian situation in Mali.
- Malians Mull Solutions for Embattled North VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- In Mali's capital, Bamako, people from the north say they cannot stand by and watch their homeland be confiscated by Islamists and Tuareg rebels.
- Crises Converge on Burkina Faso VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- So far, more than 20,000 refugees have fled Mali into Burkina Faso, and some observers say Mali's crisis is further destabilizing its neighbor.
- Mali Political Parties Reject Junta's Call for Convention VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Mali's main political parties have rejected a call by military junta leaders for a "national convention" to sort out the country's political and security problems.
- Press Conference by Permanent Mission of Somalia on Mogadishu Suicide Bombing United Nations 04 Apr 2012
- UN envoy outraged over suicide bombing of national theatre in Mogadishu UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for Somalia has voiced outrage at bomb attack in the newly reopened national theatre in the capital, Mogadishu.
- Suicide Bomber Kills 8 in Somali Capital VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- A suicide bomb attack on the newly reopened Somali National Theater in Mogadishu has killed at least eight people, including two top sports officials.
- Somali Sports Officials Killed In National Theater Blast RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Reports from Somalia say two of the country's top national sports officials are among at least six people who have been killed in a suicide bomb attack by suspected Islamist militants.
- ASEAN Still Searching for Consensus on South China Sea Dispute VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Southeast Asian leaders say they will rush to reach a unified position on resolving competing territorial claims in the South China Sea.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Leaves Qatar RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive Sunni vice president has reportedly left Qatar after a four day visit.
- Car Bomb Kills Five North Of Baghdad RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Reports from central Iraq say a car bomb apparently targeting a local police chief has killed five civilians and wounded at least 10 other people.
- South Sudan Claims Downing of Sudanese Warplane VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan said Wednesday that it had shot down a Sudan warplane carrying out a bombing mission on southern positions along their disputed border.
- New Report Finds More Weapons Flowing into Sudan, S. Sudan VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- A new report shows more weapons flowing into the hands of rebel militias in Sudan and South Sudan in the past year.
- Latest Sudan-South Sudan Talks End With Optimism VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Progress is reported in African Union-mediated talks aimed at reducing tensions between Sudan and South Sudan.
- President Barack Obama Aproves Money For Sudanese Refugees VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has authorized $26 million in emergency funding to respond the huge influx of Sudanese refugees fleeing the border fighting in South Kordofan and Blue Nile States.
- US Physicians Group Offers Evidence of Darfur Atrocities VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- A U.S.-based group of physicians released medical evidence of widespread torture, sexual assault and other human rights violations against civilians in Sudan's conflict-wracked Darfur region.
- US Wants to Open Consulate to Reach Northern Nigerians VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria Terence McCulley says the United States is looking at expanding its outreach in the West African nation's Muslim north by opening a consulate in the restive northern city of Kano.
- Chad: UN official highlights human rights concerns, praises readiness to address them UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- A senior United Nations human rights official has acknowledged that the political will exists in Chad to improve human rights.
- Libya: UN mission voices concern over violence UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- The United Nations mission in Libya expressed deep concern over the recent intensification of violence in three towns in the north-west.
- New Libya Govt 'Hard to Talk With' - Lavrov RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Libya's governing National Transitional Council (NTC) is "difficult to negotiate with," Russia Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- UN committee hears proposals on the issue of Palestinian political prisoners UN News Centre 04 Apr 2012 -- The head of a United Nations committee on Palestinian rights said that it had heard the indignation of the world concerning the treatment of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli prisons and detention centres.
- Russia Begins Mine-Clearing in Chechnya RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has summoned bomb disposal experts to Chechnya for a mine-clearing effort in the republic.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Kosovan Prime Minister Hashim Thaci After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 04 Apr 2012
- Russian diplomat warns against deviation in Iran, 5+1 negotiations IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- Russian Deputy FM said that upcoming negotiations between group 5+1 with Iran should not turn into an excuse for blaming and accusing others.
- Tehran Says Venue For Nuclear Talks Not Yet Chosen RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Iran says a venue for proposed nuclear talks with world powers has not yet been chosen.
- Iraq Says Iran Wants Nuclear Talks In Baghdad RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry says Iran has proposed holding the next round of talks with six world powers on Tehran's disputed nuclear program next week in Iraq, instead of Turkey.
- Iranian Website Pulls Interview With U.S. State Department Official RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- The online publication of an interview with the U.S. State Department's Persian spokesman by a conservative Iranian website appears to have been pulled following official criticism and condemnation.
- Rodong Sinmum on S. Korean Authorities and "North Wind" KCNA 04 Apr 2012 -- The "north wind" aim is to turn the south Korean society to escalating the confrontation with the DPRK.
- North Korean Defector Sees Signs of Chinese Policy Shift VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- A research organization in Seoul says it is hopeful of better treatment for North Korean defectors in China.
- Pakistan Wants Evidence Against Militant Leader Targeted by US VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The Pakistani government says it needs "concrete evidence" to move legally against the founder of the militant group blamed for the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
- Can U.S. Bounty Bring In Pakistani Militant Leader? RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Usually when governments offer bounties, it means a wanted man is in hiding and the public's help is needed to find him.
- Pakistani Militant Dismisses U.S. $10 Million Bounty RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- An accused Pakistani militant leader has dismissed a U.S. reward of $10 million for information leading to his capture and conviction.
- Islamist Political Party Reps, US Officials Meet VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Representatives of Islamist political parties from several Arab countries are in Washington for a conference.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks Recognizing and Supporting Burma's Democratic Reforms US Dept. of State 04 Apr 2012
- ASEAN Summit Closes With Call To Scrap Myanmar Sanctions RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Southeast Asian leaders have called on Western countries to immediately lift punitive sanctions on Myanmar in the wake of the elections in the country that was ruled for decades by a military regime.
- Army called out as 7 died in northern Pakistan IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- Army has been called out in a northern Pakistani city after violence claimed seven lives.
- Leaders of Turkey's 1980 Coup on Trial in Ankara VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Two surviving leaders of Turkey's 1980 coup have gone on trial in Ankara.
- Elderly Turkish Coup Leaders Face Trial VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Retired Turkish generals Kenan Evren and Thasin Sahinkaya are on trial, more than three decades after leading a coup.
- Turkey's 1980 Military Coup Leaders Go On Trial RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- The two surviving leaders of Turkey's 1980 military coup have gone on trial in the country's capital Ankara.
- Wen Calls Chinese Banks 'Monopoly' That Must Be Split VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao says the country's biggest state-owned banks are a monopoly and need to be broken up.
- Serbian President Resigns, Clearing Way For Early Election RFE/RL 04 Apr 2012 -- Serbian President Boris Tadic has announced his resignation, clearing the way for an early presidential election.
- Serbian President Tadic Announces Resignation RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Serbian President Boris Tadic announced his resignation on Wednesday, ten months before his term expires.
- Russia to Consider Sanctions Against U.S. RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Russian government should begin planning economic sanctions against the United States if Washington does not cancel the Jackson-Vanik amendment.
- South Africa ANC Youth Leader’s Suspension ‘Unappealable’ VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The spokesman for South Africa’s ruling African National Congress says the party’s constitution bars Julius Malema from appealing his temporary removal as leader of the ANC Youth League.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|