02 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 02 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- CBC Television Interview with Secretary Panetta DoD 02 Apr 2012
- Officials Congratulate New Afghan Detention Center Commander AFPS 02 Apr 2012 -- Top U.S. military and diplomatic officials in Afghanistan offered their congratulations as an Afghan officer took charge of Afghan Detention Operations Command.
- NATO: Stress, Not Taliban, Drive Afghan Insider Attacks VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- The NATO force in Afghanistan said Monday that attacks by Afghan security personnel on their Western counterparts, while few in a number, have had a disproportionately large effect on troop morale.
- Harvest Hawk gives Marines peace of mind USMC News 02 Apr 2012 -- A modified KC-130J flies over Afghanistan ready to unleash a tremendous amount of firepower for the Marines it supports.
- USACE turns over small arms range at Camp Hero to Afghan National Army Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Afghanistan Engineer District-South turned over a small arms range and training facilities on Camp Hero to the Afghan National Army.
- Mine Clearers Abducted in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Three landmine clearers from the British-American humanitarian organization HALO Trust were abducted in the west of Afghanistan.
- Advisory team engages on Afghan irrigation AFNS 02 Apr 2012 -- Advisors with the 838th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group conducted a humanitarian site survey mission.
- Pakistan Cross-Border Attack Kills 17 VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Pakistani officials say dozens of militants launched an attack on a paramilitary checkpoint, killing at least three soldiers.
- Afghan-Pakistani Border Attack Leaves More Than Dozen Dead RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- The Pakistani military says at least four soldiers have been killed in an attack on security posts by dozens of suspected Taliban militants in Pakistan's northwest, near the Afghan border.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Next Arms Talks Between US, Russia Might Involve Tactical Weapons VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty deals only with U.S. and Russian long-range nuclear weapons.
- SecAF visits F-35 test program at Edwards AFB AFNS 02 Apr 2012 -- The ITF mission is to plan and execute the flight test portion of the Joint Strike Fighter verification and testing effort.
- Army gears up for next Network Integration Evaluation Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- From training Soldiers to installing radios on vehicles, Army personnel are engaged in intense preparations for this spring's major field exercise for the tactical communications network.
- Bishkek Asks U.S. For Pilotless Drone Aircraft RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Kyrgyz officials have asked a U.S. military delegation for pilotless drone aircraft.
- Navy's New Robotics Lab Will Speed Technology to the Total Force NNS 02 Apr 2012 -- Scientists based in the nation's capital are stepping into the desert and rainforest to run experiments on autonomous systems without having to set foot outside the Navy's new robotics laboratory, officials said April 2.
- Army completes last Regional Hub Node Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- For Soldiers in the field, the world just got a little smaller with the completion of the last of five planned Regional Hub Nodes (RHN), which now allows reach-back to the Army's global information network from anywhere on the planet.
- Demobilization Process prepares 45th IBCT Soldiers to transition back to civilian lives Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- The ultimate goal for more than 3,000 Oklahoma National Guard Soldiers is to complete the demobilization process and return home as soon as possible.
- Enterprise, Vicksburg Wrap Up Port Visit to Piraeus, Greece NNS 02 Apr 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Enterprise and guided-missile cruiser USS Vicksburg departed Piraeus, Greece, March 31, following a scheduled three-day port visit.
- USS Nitze Departs France NNS 02 Apr 2012 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Nitze departed Villefranche, France March 29 after a regularly-scheduled port visit.
- USS Emory S. Land Visits Malaysia NNS 02 Apr 2012 -- USS Emory S. Land arrived in Sepangar, Malaysia continuing the Navy's ongoing commitment to theater security cooperation and partnership with allied navies and promoting peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- Guardsmen set to develop skills during mission to Guatemala Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- Missouri National Guardsmen from the 35th Engineer Brigade deployed to Coban, Guatemala, to coordinate a real-world mission that will develop Soldiers' skills.
- Army South builds peacekeeping training MOUT site in Chile Army News 02 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Army South, in cooperation with the country of Chile, is in the final stage of constructing a $460,000 Military Operations on Urban Terrain, or MOUT, site.
- DOD Implements New Changes to Sexual Assault Response AFPS 02 Apr 2012 -- The Defense Department has refined new methods to aid sexual assault victims whether reporting a crime or seeking assistance as they transition from service.
- Shinseki: VA on Track to Break Claims Backlog AFPS 02 Apr 2012 -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric K. Shinseki says VA is on track toward meeting one of the top priorities he set on arrival at the department three years ago.
- NOSC Phoenix Celebrates Completion of Navy's First LEED Platinum Facility NNS 02 Apr 2012 -- Navy officials celebrated the opening of the first LEED Platinum certified facility in the U.S. Navy with a ribbon cutting ceremony March 30 for Naval Operational Support Center Phoenix.
- Russian Arms Makers Must Lead Says Deputy PM RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- A new defense agency Russia plans to establish soon will be tasked with creating weapons that outperform foreign models.
- Putin Spokesman Denies National Guard Plans RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister and president-elect Vladimir Putin has no plans to form any new special service divisions, including so-called national guard.
- Russia's Defense Ministry Wants Strike Drone RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Defense Ministry has issued a technical specification for development of a strike unmanned air vehicle.
- Russian Military to Use Civilian Planes RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russia's military-transport aviation will use civilian An-124 Ruslan Condor heavy-lift transport aircraft owned by large carriers, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.
- New French Rebreathers for Russian Navy Divers RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Black Sea Fleet is considering replacing Soviet-made underwater breathing equipment used by its combat divers with new French-produced Amphora closed circuit rebreathers.
- Monthly press briefing by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen NATO 02 Apr 2012
- New Joint Forces Command established UK MOD 02 Apr 2012 -- The new Joint Forces Command achieved Initial Operating Capability today, 2 April 2012.
- HMS Liverpool decommissioned UK MOD 02 Apr 2012 -- After 30 years of service, Type 42 HMS Liverpool ended her Royal Navy career on Friday 30 March 2012 at Portsmouth Naval Base.
- ECCAS, ECOWAS Take Steps to Counter Piracy, Robbery at Sea, and Illegal Maritime Activities AFRICOM 02 Apr 2012 -- Representatives from more than 20 African nations attended the official opening ceremony of the ECCAS and ECOWAS Maritime Safety and Security Conference.
- Video Puts Attention on Hostages Held by Somali Pirates VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Somali pirates are threatening to kill South Korean and Indian sailors if those nations do not free pirates they have captured and intend to try in court.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, April 2, 2012 US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 2 April 2012 United Nations 02 Apr 2012
- UN officials stress need to strengthen and harmonize human rights treaty bodies UN News Centre 02 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban called for increased resources to help strengthen and harmonize the treaty bodies that monitor the implementation of international human rights treaties.
- UN disarmament bodies need to be revitalized, stress top officials UN News Centre 02 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban and the President of the General Assembly Al-Nasser called on Member States meeting in New York to work together to revitalize the main United Nations bodies tasked with advancing global disarmament goals.
- International Community Mulls Next Options for Syrian Opposition VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- A meeting in Istanbul of delegates supporting the Syrian opposition was overshadowed by Kofi Annan's continuing efforts.
- Annan Says Assad Accepts Syria Peace Plan Deadline RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Kofi Annan has International envoy Kofi Annan told the UN Security Council that Syria has agreed to complete the withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons from populated areas of the country by April 10.
- Envoy: Syria to Cease Military Operations by April 10 VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- U.N.-Arab League Syria Envoy Kofi Annan told the U.N. Security Council that the Syrian government has agreed to begin withdrawing its troops from towns and cities and will complete its military pullback by April 10.
- Syria informs UN-Arab League envoy of commitment to troop withdrawal deadline UN News Centre 02 Apr 2012 -- The Syrian Government has informed the lead international envoy dealing with the crisis in that country that it will complete the withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons from population centres by 10 April.
- Clashes Continue in Syria as Annan Readies UN Briefing VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Fresh violence erupted in Syria between government and opposition forces as international envoy Kofi Annan prepared to brief the UNSC.
- Russia Denounces 'Friends Of Syria' Conference RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has denounced the international "Friends of Syria" meeting in Istanbul, saying it contradicted the objective of reaching a peaceful settlement.
- Moscow Criticizes Call to Arm Syrian Opposition RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Calls by some of the countries in the Friends of Syria People group to supply arms and render logistical support to the Syrian opposition are at odds with the Syrian peace plan.
- Russia Urges Syria to ‘Make First Step,’ Call Off Troops RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- The Syrian authorities should “make the first step” towards restoring peace in the country by pulling troops and tanks out of rebellious cities and towns.
- U.S. To Fund Study Documenting Syrian Rights Abuses RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- The United States has said it will help fund a new initiative to document alleged human rights abuses committed during the Syrian government's bloody crackdown on protesters.
- Iraq Calls On Qatar To Hand Over Fugitive Vice President RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's deputy prime minister has called on Qatar to hand over a fugitive vice president to face terror charges in Baghdad.
- Baghdad Accuses Kurdish Region of Withholding Oil Payments RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Baghdad has accused the Kurdistan Regional Government in northern Iraq of withholding billions of dollars in oil payments.
- ECOWAS Imposes Sanctions on Mali VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- The Economic Community of West African States has imposed severe financial and diplomatic sanctions on Mali as it continues to call for a return to constitutional order in the country.
- Pakistan's President to Visit India As Relations Improve VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari will meet with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on April 8 in the first visit to India by a Pakistani head of state since 2005.
- VP-elect sets three conditions for cross-strait political dialogue CNA 02 Apr 2012 -- Republic of China (Taiwan) Vice President-elect Wu Den-yih on Monday gave three conditions for the two sides of the Taiwan Strait to engage in political dialogue.
- Sudan/South Sudan Trade Barbs as Tense Security Talks Open VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Sudan and South Sudan are trading harsh words as their defense ministers meet with African Union mediators for talks on improving security along their tense border.
- Ban urges leaders of Sudan and South Sudan to meet to end border clashes UN News Centre 02 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban stressed his deep concern over the continued fighting along the border between Sudan and South Sudan.
- US Wants Sudan to Open Humanitarian Access to Area VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Civilians in Sudan's Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile states are in need of food aid and are fleeing fighting between local militia and government troops.
- KENYA: Several thousand displaced after fresh clashes in Isiolo IRIN 02 Apr 2012 -- Hundreds of families in the central county of Isiolo have been displaced as deadly clashes pitting the Borana, Somali and Turkana communities escalate.
- Thailand Warns of More Bombings in South VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Thai authorities are warning of further insurgent attacks in southern Thailand after identifying suspects in Saturday’s bombings Saturday that killed 14 people and wounded more than 300.
- Russia to Continue Push for Nagorny Karabakh Dialogue - Lavrov RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russia will continue fostering dialogue on the Nagorny Karabakh settlement, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said during his visit to Armenia.
- Burma, S. China Sea Dominate ASEAN Summit Discussions VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- This week leaders from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations are meeting in Phnom Penh.
- Colombian Rebels Free 10 Long-Time Hostages VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- The Red Cross says Colombian rebels have freed 10 hostages held in the jungle for 12 years or longer.
- Alleged Warlord Arrives in Liberia After US Deportation VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- An alleged former warlord, George Boley, faces immigration proceedings Monday in Monrovia after being deported from the United States.
- New Images Show North Korea Readying for Rocket Launch VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- New satellite images of a North Korean rocket site show evidence of increased preparation for a launch.
- Kim Jong Un Elected Delegate to 4th WPK Conference KCNA 02 Apr 2012 -- Meetings to elect delegates to the 4th Conference of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) took place in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Meetings Held to Elect Delegates to WPK Conference KCNA 02 Apr 2012 -- Meetings of the party committees of the Korean People's Army, all the provinces, cities and counties were successfully held to elect delegates to the Fourth Conference of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Ban praises Myanmar for peaceful conduct of by-elections on Sunday UN News Centre 02 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban congratulated the people and Government of Myanmar for the “peaceful and largely orderly” manner in which by-elections were held.
- Burma's Democracy Leader Hopes Election Win Brings New Era VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Burma's democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi says she hopes her and her party's win in Sunday's election ushers in a new era in Burma.
- Burma's Opposition Party Wins By-Election in Landslide VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi declared a "new era" for Burma, after her party claimed a landslide victory in Sunday's parliamentary by-elections.
- Suu Kyi Party In Landslide Myanmar Win RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has hailed a "new era" for Myanmar following an apparent landslide win for her party.
- U.S. Gets Conflicting Signals From Tehran On Talks RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- The United States says it has not received definitive confirmation from Iran of a date and venue for talks about Tehran's nuclear program.
- Russia Supports Sending More IAEA Experts to Iran RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- More IAEA inspectors should be send to Iran, Russian Foreign Ministry Sergei Lavrov said.
- Obama operating in line with Eisenhower doctrine on Iran IRNA 02 Apr 2012 -- US President Barack Obama is operating in line with US-engineered military coup in 1953 by signing a new series of sanctions to disrupt everyday life of ordinary people.
- Germany Halts Shipment Of Execution Drug To Iran RFE/RL 02 Apr 2012 -- German customs officials said on April 2 that they have halted a shipment to Iran of a general anesthetic drug that also is used to execute people by lethal injection.
- Joint Statement by North American Leaders The White House 02 Apr 2012
- Joint Press Conference by President Obama, President Calderon of Mexico, and Prime Minister Harper of Canada The White House 02 Apr 2012
- Economy, Security Lead North American Summit Agenda VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- US President Barack Obama met with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Mexican President Felipe Calderon at the White House.
- Sall Sworn in as Senegal President VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Senegal's new president, Macky Sall, has taken the oath of office, completing a smooth transition of power in the West African nation.
- New Data Show Fukushima Radiation Moved Rapidly Out Into Pacific Ocean VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- American and Japanese scientists say they have found elevated levels of radioactive cesium throughout a area of the Pacific Ocean off Japan.
- U.S. Seeks 30 Year Sentence for Russian Arms Dealer RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Justice Department has called for a sentence of 30 years imprisonment for convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|