19 February 2012 Military News
- STATEMENT: U.S. Aircraft Crashes in Djibouti, Four Fatalities AFRICOM 19 Feb 2012 -- During a routine flight, a U.S. military aircraft crashed approximately six miles from the Djibouti International Airport, Djibouti, February 18, 2012.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Discusses U.S.-China Relations, Middle East Challenges AFPS 19 Feb 2012 -- The military’s strategic shift to the Pacific region provides an opportunity to improve U.S.-China relations, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
- U.S. lawmaker renews calls for F-16C/D sale to Taiwan CNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Another U.S. congressman has urged Washington to sell F-16C/D jet fighters to Taiwan.
- 31st MEU successfully completes Exercise Cobra Gold 2012 USMC News 19 Feb 2012 -- Marines and Sailors of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit successfully completed Exercise Cobra Gold 2012 and retrograded onto the USS Tortuga and USS Germantown, Feb. 19.
- Putin: Almost $800 Billion For Military RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- Putin says over the course of the next 10 years, 23 trillion rubles ($770 billion) will be spent on the Russian military.
- Macedonia Asks To Join NATO Despite Greek Opposition RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- Macedonia has urged NATO to accept it as a member when the alliance holds a summit in Chicago in May, despite Greek opposition.
- Indian Air Force to procure 71 more armed choppers IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Aiming at strengthening its medium-lift helicopter fleet, the Indian Air Force is planning to procure 71 more Mi-17 V5 choppers.
- Salehi appreciates Egypt for cooperation with Iranian Navy warships IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi appreciated Egypt for its cooperation with the Iranian Navy warships passing through the Suez Canal.
- Commander: Iran produces 90 pc of its needed defense equipment IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Commander of Civil Defense Organization Gholamreza Jalali said Iran manufactures 90 percent of its needed defense equipment.
- Preliminary phase of IRGC ground forces' drills starts IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- The preliminary phase of the IRGC's ground forces military exercises dubbed “Valfajr” started in the central Yazd province.
- Syria Different Challenge Than Libya, Chairman Says AFPS 19 Feb 2012 -- The security challenges in Syria are different geographically and militarily from those that led to NATO operations in Libya, and intervention would be difficult.
- Syrian Forces Clamp Down on Damascus VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Syrian security forces have deployed heavily in a tense Damascus neighborhood, preventing a repeat of one of the largest anti-government rallies.
- U.S. Drones Fly over Syria RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- Unmanned U.S. military and intelligence drones are flying over Syria to monitor developments in the country torn by civil strife.
- Iranian Ships Dock in Syria Port RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- Iranian warships have docked in the Syrian port of Tartus, Iranian media reported.
- Syria, Egypt in Tit-For-Tat Envoy Withdrawals RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- Syria recalled its ambassador to Egypt over Cairo’s withdrawal of its envoy in Damascus, al Jazeera television reported.
- S. Korea Holds Military Drills Despite N. Korea Threat VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- South Korea held a routine military exercise near a disputed border with North Korea despite the northern threat of retaliation.
- North Korea Warns of Possible Retaliation for South Korea Exercise VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- North Korea's military warned that it will retaliate if an upcoming South Korean firing drill violates the North's territorial waters.
- Command of Forces of KPA in Western Sector of Front Issues Open Notice KCNA 19 Feb 2012 -- The Command of Forces of the Korean People's Army in the Western Sector of the Front issued an open notice as regards the plan of the south Korean military.
- Israel Carries Out Air Strike On Gaza RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- At least two Palestinians were wounded on the evening of February 18 in an Israeli air strike in southern Gaza City.
- Bomb Explodes Outside Church in Central Nigeria VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Several people were reported wounded in the central Nigerian town of Sulega when a bomb exploded outside a church.
- Suicide Attack Kills 19 at Iraqi Police Academy VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Iraqi security officials say a car bomb blast outside a police academy in Baghdad has killed at least 19 recruits and officers.
- Blast At Iraqi Police Academy RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- Police said a suicide bomber killed at least 18 people and wounded more than 20 in front of a police training academy in Baghdad on February 19.
- UN Nuclear Inspector Seeking Results in Talks with Iran VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- The chief U.N. nuclear inspector begins another to visit to Iran.
- US Envoy Visits Israel to Discuss Iran Tensions VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has dispatched a senior envoy to Israel amid growing tensions with Iran about its nuclear program.
- Iran Halts Oil Sales to France, Britain VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Iran says it has stopped selling crude oil to France and Britain, in an apparent retaliatory move against the European Union for its phased ban on Tehran's crucial fuel exports.
- Iran Halts Oil Sales To France, Britain RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- 58,000 barrels a day -- The Iranian Oil Ministry says Iran has stopped selling oil to British and French companies.
- Iran Cuts Oil Exports to UK, France RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- Iran has stopped oil exports to British and French companies, the Islamic republic's oil ministry said on Sunday.
- Iran cuts oil exports to British, French firms: official IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Iran’s crude exports to the British and French companies have been suspended, an Oil Ministry spokesman said.
- Iran 'Poised To Expand Nuke Program' RFE/RL 19 Feb 2012 -- A Vienna-based diplomat has told the BBC that Iran may be poised to expand its nuclear program at an underground site near the city of Qom.
- IAEA experts heading to Tehran IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- A delegation comprising of senior inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency headed by Herman Nackarets departed IAEA headquarters in Vienna for Tehran.
- Iran, Group 5+1 agree to hold nuclear talks in Istanbul: Salehi says IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Sunday that nuclear talks with Group 5+1 will be held in Istanbul.
- Senior Commander: Iranís cyber defense is preemptive IRNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Police Commaner Brigadier General Esmaeil Ahmadi Moghaddam said Iran’s cyber defense is preemptive.
- Leading Burmese Monk Detained, Facing Charges VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- A leading dissident monk in Burma is facing new legal problems just weeks after he was released from prison.
- Another Tibetan Burns Himself to Death in China VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Another Tibetan has burned himself to death in China, as Chinese authorities in Tibetan areas continue to crack down on anti-government activists.
- Ban welcomes political deal reached at Somali constitutional conference UN News Centre 19 Feb 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban welcomed the political agreement reached by Somalis at a national constitutional conference.
- Obasanjo to Lead Joint AU, ECOWAS Senegal Mediation Effort VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo is scheduled to lead a joint team of Economic Community of West African States and the African Union to try to stop the escalating violence ahead of Senegalís February 26th election.
- Violence Breaks Out at Protest Against Senegal's President VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- The western African nation of Senegal was the scene of more protests against plans by President Abdoulaye Wade to seek a third term in office in an election one week away.
- Russia Hits Out At Latvia Referendum RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- Russia said Latvia had "breached its international obligations" after the Baltic state declined to allow a Russian observer mission at a referendum which rejected a proposal for Russian to be made the country's second official language.
- Latvians Vote Against State Status of Russian Language RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2012 -- In a national referendum over 470,000 Latvians voted against granting the Russian a status of the second state language, the Latvian Central Election Commission said.
- Latvians Reject Russian as Second Language VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- Latvians have resoundingly rejected a constitutional referendum to make Russian an official second language in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|