03 February 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 03 Feb 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Seizes Taliban Leader AFPS 03 Feb 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured a Taliban leader and detained one additional suspected insurgent during an operation in Helmand province.
- Afghan Border Police, Marine partnership furthers governance in southern Helmand USMC News 03 Feb 2012 -- Situated in the southern portion of Afghanistan’s Helmand province, Garmsir district has historically been a highway for insurgent movement from Pakistan.
- Marines rescue Afghan Policemen from collapsed building USMC News 03 Feb 2012 -- During a routine key leader engagement, Marines with Afghan National Civil Order Police Mentorship Team Two found themselves in a situation that was anything but routine.
- NATO: Forces Will Not Back Down During Afghan Transition VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- NATO's secretary-general says foreign forces in Afghanistan will remain on combat duty during the scheduled transition to Afghan security control in 2014.
- Afghanistan operational air update 28 January 2012 UK MOD 03 Feb 2012 -- RAF personnel conducted numerous missions across southern Afghanistan from 22 to 28 January 2012.
- Combat operations in Afghanistan to continue as planned UK MOD 03 Feb 2012 -- There has been various media speculation that British troops face only one more summer of major combat operations in Afghanistan.
- Russia, NATO Prepare New Afghanistan Transit Deal – Media RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Russia and NATO may soon sign an agreement that would ease cargo transportation from Afghanistan via Russia’s territory.
- Seven Pakistani Troops, 18 Militants Reported Killed In Clash RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani government officials say militants have opened fire on a security checkpoint
- 8 security personal killed in Kurram tribal region IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Eight security personnel were killed while five others were kidnapped by the militants, in Pakistan’s Kurram tribal region.
- Car bomb attack kills 4 in NW Pakistan IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- At least four persons were killed in a car bomb attack in northwest Pakistan.
- Mosque blown up in Khyber tribal region IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Unidentified terrorists on Friday blew up a mosque in Tirah valley of Khyber tribal region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putin Says NATO Missile System Pointed At Russia RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Russian PM Putin has accused the United States and NATO of aiming an antimissile system at Russia.
- Putin Slams U.S. Missile Shield Ahead of Munich Security Talks RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- PM Putin reiterated his confidence that U.S. missile shield plans were aimed at undermining Russia’s defense capabilities.
- Air Force announces force structure overview for FY 13 and beyond AFNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Air Force officials announced proposed force structure changes which support the new DoD strategic guidance retiring 286 aircraft over the next five years, including 227 in fiscal year 13.
- Air Force Strategic Choices and Budget Priorities Brief at the Pentagon DoD 03 Feb 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz
- Town Hall Meeting with Secretary Leon Panetta, Ramstein Air Base, Germany DoD 03 Feb 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Secretary Leon Panetta's troop visit at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany DoD 03 Feb 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Active, reserve Marines integrate: Undergo field exercise 'Grizzly Spartan' USMC News 03 Feb 2012 -- After three weeks of studying in a classroom, communication Marines with Marine Wing Communications Squadron 28 took their lessons outside Jan. 30, unrolling wires and positioning tents and antennas for an exercise dubbed 'Grizzly Spartan.'
- VMA-231 feeds 'Bold Alligator' USMC News 03 Feb 2012 -- Marines with Marine Attack Squadron 231 supplied four MV-22 Ospreys on the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point flight line Jan. 31 in support of Bold Alligator 2012, the largest sea to air exercise off the East Coast in ten years.
- Assault Craft Unit 4 Plays Key Role in Bold Alligator 2012 NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Exercise Bold Alligator 2012 is in full swing and Sailors from Assault Craft Unit (ACU) 4 are playing a vital role in getting Marines and their equipment where they need to be.
- LCACs Embark WASP for Bold Alligator NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Landing Craft, Air Cushion (LCAC) vehicles began ensuring amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) is fit to fight for Exercise Bold Alligator 2012, Feb. 2.
- USS Blue Ridge Arrives In Tomakomai NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Seventh Fleet command ship, USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19), arrived in Tomakomai, Feb. 3 for a goodwill port visit.
- USS Germantown Embarks 31st MEU in Preparation of Cobra Gold NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- The forward-deployed dock landing ship USS Germantown (LSD 42) pulled into Okinawa, Japan Feb. 2 to onload nearly 500 Marines assigned to the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) and their equipment in preparation for exercise Cobra Gold.
- Submarine Squadron 3 Disestablishes as Submarine Squadron 1 Changes Command NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- The Pearl Harbor-based Commander, Submarine Squadron (COMSUBRON) 3 disestablished, as COMSUBRON 1 changed command, during an official ceremony aboard USS Greeneville (SSN 772) at the submarine piers at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Feb. 2.
- Navy Equips Unmanned Boats with Non-Lethal Weapons for Fleet Experiment NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFF) directed a follow-on fleet experiment this week off the shoreline of Fort Eustis to explore capabilities for unmanned surface vessels (USVs) to deploy non-lethal weapons during maritime security and force protection operations.
- Army bringing Detroit military muscle, efficiency to Chicago Auto Show Army News 03 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Army is sending two concept hybrid vehicles to the Chicago Auto Show to showcase its latest energy-efficiency efforts that can save money, address environmental concerns and, most importantly, save Soldiers' lives.
- USS Simpson Concludes Visit to Casablanca NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Guided-missile frigate USS Simpson (FFG 56) and senior staff members from U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa concluded a three-day port visit of training, band engagements, and senior staff talks in Casablanca, Feb. 2.
- ROK, US Navy Control Airspace with AIC Training NNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Two U.S. Sailors got underway with the Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy aboard ROKS Sejong the Great (DDG 991) for two days of Air Intercept Control (AIC) live-training evolutions in the East Sea, Jan. 31.
- SecAF: AF will continue to be ready, agile and flexible AFNS 03 Feb 2012 -- The Air Force will maintain its agility, flexibility and readiness to engage a full range of contingencies and threats.
- Air Force Leaders Chart Service Changes AFPS 03 Feb 2012 -- Making changes to the Air Force is “hard, but manageable,” Air Force Secretary Michael B. Donley said here today.
- Senior Official Sums Up NATO Defense Meetings AFPS 03 Feb 2012 -- The NATO defense meetings that concluded this morning in Brussels were “very productive” on alliance issues ranging from Afghanistan to Kosovo to smart defense.
- Panetta Outlines ‘State of DOD’ to Troops in Germany AFPS 03 Feb 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta paused today between a NATO defense ministerial and the annual Munich security conference to visit what he called the U.S. military’s “unsung heroes”.
- Marines, Japanese swim to the shore under stealth of night USMC News 03 Feb 2012 -- Marines from Company A, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, conducted a night helocast off the shore of Red Beach during a night helocast training exercise, Feb. 1.
- AF night vision course helps train trainers AFNS 03 Feb 2012 -- Night-vision goggles are an important tool for pilots and ground forces in low-light environments, so it's vital they learn how to properly use them.
- Army IG testifies to Congress on Arlington Cemetery Progress AFPS 03 Feb 2012 -- Within the last two years, Arlington National Cemetery has seen much progress in correcting gravesite deficiencies, increasing customer service, and instituting effective computer recordkeeping.
- Air Force works with Fish and Wildlife Service to manage wildfires AFNS 03 Feb 2012 -- The Air Force and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are working to establish a national partnership aimed at managing wildfires.
- Medvedev Sets April 15 Deadline for Defense Contracts RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- All tenders on state defense contracts are to be completed by April 15, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Russia to Build Two Space-Defense Missile Plants RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Two space-defense missile plants will be built in central Russia, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.
- The Russian Navy Grows from Bottom up RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- While the nation’s leaders work at overhauling the Navy organization, the Navy itself continues to order new ships.
- Northern Fleet Warship Gets First Volunteer-Only Crew RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- A surface warship in Russia’s Northern Fleet has for the first time achieved 100-percent manning by contract servicemen.
- NATO Approves 'Smart Defense' RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- The NATO defense ministers approved the Smart Defense plan consisting of the projects that aim to “build greater security with fewer resources but more coordination and coherence."
- HMS Lancaster returns to sea after major refit UK MOD 03 Feb 2012 -- HMS Lancaster has returned to sea for the first time in 16 months following a major upgrade.
- China’s Rise Poses Challenges for Its African Peacekeeping Missions VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- China has long adhered to a foreign policy of non-interventionism.
- Indian top military officer dismisses US report on India-China 'limited' war IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- A top Indian military officer dismissed a US intelligence assessment that the Indian Army is strengthening itself for a 'limited conflict' with China.
- February 3, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for February 03, 2012
- General Dynamics Awarded Defense Information Systems Agency Contract for Omnibus Network Enterprise Program General Dynamics 03 Feb 2012 -- General Dynamics was awarded a contract by the U.S. Department of Defense's Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) to provide information technology (IT) services in support of the Omnibus Network Enterprise (ONE) program.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 03 February 2012 United Nations 03 Feb 2012
- Negotiating Medical Aid in Conflict Zones VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- The medical aid group Doctors Without Borders works in many of the world’s hot spots, including Somalia, Afghanistan and the Palestinian Territories.
- At Least 12 Dead in Latest Syria Violence VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Activists report at least 12 deaths as protests and clashes rippled across Syria while the UNSC struggled to craft a resolution to help end the bloodshed.
- Russia Says It Can't Support UN Syria Draft Resolution RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Russia's deputy foreign minister says his country "cannot support" a draft United Nations Security Council resolution on Syria.
- UN Draft Rules out Force Against Syria RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- The draft resolution on Syria now being considered in the UN Security Council rules out the use of force.
- Security Council Members Consider New Syria Resolution VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Members of the United Nations Security Council are considering Friday a new draft resolution to end the bloodshed in Syria.
- UN Security Council Agrees Upon Syria Resolution – Russian Envoy RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- UN Security Council members have agreed upon the text of a draft resolution on Syria and will send the document to governments for approval.
- Syrian Security Forces Accused Of Torturing Children RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- A human rights monitor has issued new allegations that Syrian government forces have been torturing children as young as 13.
- Analysis: The LRA - not yet a spent force IRIN 03 Feb 2012 -- The belief that the end is nigh for Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army underestimates its resilience and overestimates the unity and capability of the forces ranged against it.
- UN voices concern over fresh round of killings in South Sudan UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The UN human rights office voiced concern over a cattle raid in a northern state of South Sudan earlier this week.
- Sectarian Tensions Heat Up in Sudan RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Tensions between Sudan’s Radical Islamist Ansar Al-Suna sect and Sufi groups heated up ahead of common celebrations of Prophet Muhammad’s birthday in Sudan’s twin capital city of Omdurman.
- Aid Groups Ask US to Consider Cross-Border Aid Effort in Sudan VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- A coalition of human rights groups appealed to the Obama administration to lead a cross-border aid operation into South Sudan to deliver much-needed food and medicine.
- UN alarmed by reported new atrocities against displaced civilians in DR Congo UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The UN refugee agency said it is alarmed by recent reports that displaced people have been tortured and killed in their camps by armed elements in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Renewed Atrocities Threaten IDPs in Eastern DRC VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency says it is alarmed by reports of renewed atrocities committed against internally displaced Congolese.
- Iraq's Sectarian Tensions Create Opportunities for Attacks VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Bombings and mass-casualty attacks have killed at least 270 people across Iraq since late December.
- Caucasus Insurgency Head Backs Halt Of Terror Attacks On Russian Civilians RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- The leader of Islamist rebels in Russia's North Caucasus has ordered fighters under his command to halt attacks on Russia's civilian population.
- UN-backed court sentences key Khmer Rouge figure to life in prison on appeal UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The appeals chamber of the United Nations-backed tribunal in Cambodia trying cases of mass murder and other crimes committed under the Khmer Rouge regime sentenced the former head of a notorious detention camp to life in prison.
- Cambodia Court Extends Key Khmer Rouge Official's Prison Sentence VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations-backed tribunal in Cambodia has extended the sentence of a former Khmer Rouge torture chief to life in prison.
- Khmer Rouge Jailer Sentenced To Life Imprisonment RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Kaing Guek Eav was sentenced by Cambodia's UN-backed court to spend the rest of his life in jail.
- U.S. Defense Chief Downplays Speculation Of Israeli Attack On Iran RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Defense Sec. Panetta has downplayed a US report suggesting he believes Israel is planning a strike against Iran.
- US Concerns Grow Over Possible Israeli Strike on Iran VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Talk of a possible attack on Iranian nuclear facilities is again rumbling in Tehran, Jerusalem, and Washington.
- Israel May Attack Iran over Next 4 Months – U.S. media RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- There is a growing possibility that Israel may attack Iranian nuclear facilities over the next few months.
- Iran Threatens to Strike Back Against Sanctions, Attack VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned that Iran will retaliate against Western-backed oil sanctions and threats of attack.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Speaks On Nuclear Program, Threats, Israel RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has vowed that Tehran will not give in to international pressure to abandon its nuclear program.
- Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei: Friday prayers sermons in Tehran The Office of the Supreme Leader 03 Feb 2012 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei says Iran will stand by and support any nation or group that chooses to stand up to Zionist regime.
- Supreme Leader: Threat to war is against US interests IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Supreme leader of the Islamic Revolution, in reaction to the US threats that 'all options in Iran’s case are on the table' underlined that threat to war is against the US interests and war can be ten times more harmful to that country.
- Supreme Leader: Iran interference in Bahrain is a lie IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said Bahraini ruler's claim that Iran has interfered in that country's internal affairs is a lie.
- U.S. Says New Iran Sanctions Not to Disrupt Oil Markets RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- The Obama administration will take steps to ensure that new U.S. sanctions expected to be imposed on Iran in the near future do not hurt Washington’s partners and disrupt the global oil market.
- UN Security Council is no suitable place to discuss Iran: Churkin IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Russia’s permanent representative to the United Nations, Vitaly Churkin, said that the UNSC is not a suitable place for discussing Iran’s nuclear issue.
- Iran to Set Up Space Launch Base RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Iran plans to establish a national satellite launch base in the southeast of the country, adjacent to the Sea of Oman and the Indian Ocean.
- Iran Launches Observation Satellite RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Iran has successfully launched an observation satellite.
- Iran Launches Observation Satellite RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Iran has successfully launched an observation satellite into orbit.
- National satellite ‘Promise of Science, Industry’ launched successfully IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Concurrent with the 33rd victory anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution and on the order of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, national satellite ‘Promise of Science and Industry’ was launched into space successfully.
- Satellite ‘Promise of Science, Industry’ put on orbit successfully: Defense Min IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Defense Minister, General Ahmad Vahidi, said here on Friday that the fully-indigenous satellite ‘Promise of Science and Industry’ as a brilliant achievement in the field of space technology was put on orbit successfully.
- Turkey Tries to Navigate Sectarian Divides in Middle East VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- As Turkey increasingly tries to play the role of broker in Mideast diplomacy, there are concerns its conservative Muslim prime minister is pursuing a religious agenda.
- Tibetan Group Releases Photos of Chinese Crackdown VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- A Tibetan activist group has released photos it says are showing Chinese riot police beating and dragging bloodied demonstrators.
- Human Rights Watch: Ex-Libya Official Dies After Torture RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Human Rights Watch says a Libyan diplomat who served under slain ruler Muammar Qaddafi appears to have died under torture.
- Renewed Clashes Grip Egypt VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- Violence spread across Egypt Friday, killing at least three people in a growing fallout from this week's deadly soccer riot.
- New Clashes In Egypt As Anger Mounts Over Football Violence RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Clashes between police and protesters have continued in the Egyptian capital for a second day as anger mounted over football-related violence that left 74 people dead.
- Two Suez Protesters Die As Egypt Soccer Fallout Continues RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Police in the northeastern Egyptian city of Suez have shot and killed two men during clashes between police and protesters.
- Night Riots in Egypt Leave 3 Dead, up to 1,700 Injured RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2012 -- Three people were killed and 1,690 injured in nighttime clashes between demonstrators and police, following a deadly riot after a football match in Port Said.
- UN says Somali famine over, but warns action needed to forestall new crisis UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The UN declared an end to famine conditions in Somalia, but warned that the crisis in the Horn of Africa is not over.
- UN Declares End of Somalia Famine VOA 03 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations has announced the famine in southern Somalia is officially over, but warns that millions of people are still in crisis.
- In Côte d’Ivoire, UN mission to decide on election certification next week UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The head of the UN peacekeeping mission in Côte d’Ivoire said that he hopes to decide next week on the partial certification of parliamentary elections held in the West African country near the end of last year.
- UN court rules against Italy in case over Nazi compensation claims UN News Centre 03 Feb 2012 -- The UN International Court of Justice ruled that Italy has violated its obligation to respect Germany’s immunity under international law by allowing civil claims seeking reparations for Nazi war crimes to be brought against it in Italian courts.
- Astrium solar arrays provide maximum power in space EADS 03 Feb 2012 -- For nearly 50 years, Astrium’s centre of competence for solar arrays in Ottobrunn has been equipping spacecraft of every class with these highly efficient ‘power plants’.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|