09 January 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- 'Ironhorse' troops take on new equipment, mission in Kuwait Army News 09 Jan 2012 -- When Operation Iraqi Freedom began in 2003, it was the first war where front-line troops were equipped largely by the Army Prepositioned Stock, or APS.
- Combined Forces Capture Taliban Leaders in Afghanistan AFPS 09 Jan 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force captured two Taliban facilitators and detained a suspected insurgent in the Khugyani district of Afghanistan's Nangarhar province today, military officials reported.
- Major route construction projects near completion in Helmand USMC News 09 Jan 2012 -- Marine engineers with 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward) have nearly completed two major route construction and improvement projects in Helmand province.
- Afghanistan airdrops surpass record levels in 2011 AFNS 09 Jan 2012 -- In 2011, mobility Airmen delivering airdrops reached a new annual record with 75,956,235 pounds of cargo delivered. That's nearly 16 million more pounds delivered than the previous record set in 2010 of 60,400,000.
- Afghan announcers broadcast peace to listeners AFNS 09 Jan 2012 -- In an area with an illiteracy rate of approximately 70 percent, radio communication can be critical when sharing news and current events in Paktya province of Afghanistan.
- Teamwork fits new blade on Huey in Afghanistan USMC News 09 Jan 2012 -- Marines with the Gunfighters of Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 369 consistently use a proven method to get their aircraft back in the fight – teamwork.
- New Afghan Army Counter-IED Team demonstrates skills UK MOD 09 Jan 2012 -- The Afghan National Army's (ANA's) newly-formed Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) Team recently demonstrated their proficiency in front of the ANA's 3/215 Brigade Commander, General Sherin Shah, and Task Force Helmand Commander, Brigadier Patrick Sanders.
- Statistical firepower in Helmand UK MOD 09 Jan 2012 -- Analysts in Helmand are helping commanders see through the fog of war.
- US to resume drone strikes inside Pakistan IRNA 09 Jan 2012 -- A Pakistani daily on Monday reported that America's Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is likely to resume the drone campaign inside Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Official: Strategic Guidance Recognizes U.S. NATO Commitments AFPS 09 Jan 2012 -- As the United States implements new strategic guidance that increases its focus on Asia and the Pacific, it also needs to pursue 'smart defense initiatives' as it continues to honor its NATO commitments, a senior defense official said.
- USS Wasp Prepares for Bold Alligator NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- USS Wasp (LHD 1) returned to sea Jan. 9 to conduct qualifications in preparation for Bold Alligator 2012 the nation's largest joint/multinational amphibious assault exercise in the past 10 years.
- USS California Arrives at her New Homeport in Groton NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- Virginia-class attack submarine USS California (SSN 781) made her way up the Thames River Jan. 6 and arrived at her new homeport, Naval Submarine Base New London.
- Military Sealift Command Reorganizes to Increase Efficiency/Cut Costs NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- Military Sealift Command (MSC) announced an organization realignment Jan. 9 designed to increase efficiency while maintaining effectiveness.
- Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group Arrives in U.S. 5th Fleet AOR NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) Carrier Strike Group (CSG) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), Jan. 9.
- Commander, Patrol and Reconnaissance Forces Visits 'War Eagles' NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- Commander, Patrol and Reconnaissance Forces 5th and 7th Fleet, paid a visit to Patrol Squadron (VP) 16 Jan. 5-6.
- USS Makin Island Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for Renovated Computer Lounge NNS 09 Jan 2012 -- Sailors and Marines deployed aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) gathered for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil a newly renovated computer lounge, Jan. 6.
- $12 million demilitarization facility to open early spring at MCAAP Army News 09 Jan 2012 -- The McAlester Centralized Demilitarization Division, which is part of the Defense Logistics Agency, is preparing to open their new facility at McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (MCAAP) by spring of 2012.
- 727th EACS takes control of new mission AFNS 09 Jan 2012 -- The 727th Expeditionary Air Control Squadron changed missions Dec. 30 as it supported the end of Operation New Dawn and began supporting the air defense of the Arabian Gulf.
- War Yields Lessons in Preventing, Treating Eye Injuries AFPS 09 Jan 2012 -- Ten years of conflict has given rise, not only to the world's best body armor and state-of-the-art battlefield technologies, but also a new understanding about ways to prevent eye injuries and treat those who suffer from them.
- Foreign minister meets U.S. congressmen on F-16C/D sale CNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Taiwan's Minister of Foreign Affairs Timothy Yang met with two U.S. congressmen during a recent transit stop in Miami to lobby their support for the country's F-16 C/D fighter procurement plan, diplomatic sources said Sunday.
- U.S. lawmaker to continue urging F-16C/D sale to Taiwan CNA 09 Jan 2012 -- A U.S. lawmaker has said he will continue to help Taiwan acquire F-16C/D jet fighters and submarines from the United States to strengthen its self-defense ability.
- Iran says is a 'key factor' in Strait of Hormuz's security ISNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said the country is the 'key factor' in providing security of the Strait of Hormuz.
- Iran unveils personnel carriers in drill ISNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iran unveiled two kinds of superlight personnel carriers and armored ambulance in Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) ground forces' military drill.
- Iran warns of tough response to threats ISNA 09 Jan 2012 -- An Iranian official said the country's Navy would confront threats harshly in the Strait of Hormuz, Persian Gulf or Oman Sea.
- Syria hails visit of Russian warships to Tartus RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2012 -- Syrian authorities have called the visit of a Russian naval task force to the port of Tartus a 'show of solidarity with the Syrian people,' the official SANA news agency reported.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 1/9/2012 The White House 09 Jan 2012
- January 9, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Jan 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for January 09, 2012
- Boeing Subsidiary Argon ST Receives Follow-on Contract for US Navy Surface Ship Torpedo Defense Boeing 09 Jan 2012 -- Boeing subsidiary Argon ST has received a $14.8 million follow-on award under its contract for the U.S. Navy's Surface Ship Torpedo Defense (SSTD) program.
- Lockheed Martin Awarded $24 Million to Upgrade U.S. Air Force C-130 Training Devices Lockheed Martin 09 Jan 2012 -- The U.S. Air Force awarded Lockheed Martin a $24 million contract to upgrade weapons systems trainers used in the C-130 Aircrew Training System (ATS) II.
- Oshkosh Defense Expands Operations in Canada Oshkosh 09 Jan 2012 -- Oshkosh Defense, a division of Oshkosh Corporation, announced today that the company will open a new office in Ottawa, Ontario, to support vehicle programs for the Canadian Department of National Defence (DND).
- Raytheon Awarded $30 Million for New Missile Defense Interceptor Raytheon 09 Jan 2012 -- Raytheon Company received a $30.2 million contract from Rafael Advanced Defense Systems for continued development of the Stunner interceptor. Stunner is an advanced, multi-mission, multi-platform interceptor designed for integration into current and planned air and missile defense systems.
- 9 January 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Jan 2012
- Arab League Backs Continuation Of Syria Observer Mission RFE/RL 09 Jan 2012 -- The Arab League has again called on the Syrian government to end violence against protesters and allow Arab League monitors to more independently observe the turmoil gripping the country.
- Syria Criticizes Arab League Committee Chief's Comments VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Syria's representative to the Arab League says comments by the head of the group's committee on Syria, show a 'biased stance' toward the crisis in the country.
- MYANMAR: High hopes for Karen peace talks IRIN 09 Jan 2012 -- Karen leaders are cautiously optimistic about the possibility of peace after more than 60 years of fighting Burmese security forces as they prepare for meetings with the government on 10 January.
- African States and UN agree to beef up measures against Lord's Resistance Army UN News Centre 09 Jan 2012 -- Central African countries affected by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and the United Nations agreed to toughen up measures against the notorious rebel group to stop its deadly activities on the continent.
- DR Congo: UN mission condemns killing of dozens of civilians in South Kivu UN News Centre 09 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today strongly condemned attacks against civilians by members of an armed group in remote villages in South Kivu province last week, during which at least 45 people were killed.
- UN official urges more help for South Sudan to cope with crises UN News Centre 09 Jan 2012 -- The head of the United Nations refugee agency today urged the international community to show greater solidarity with South Sudan as it strives to cope with enormous humanitarian challenges as tensions between communities cause internal displacement amid a refugee influx from Sudan.
- South Sudanese Continue to Flee Violence along the Border VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- The number of civilians fleeing violence along a remote border area of South Sudan has increased over the past few days.
- Iran Sentences American Man to Death as Alleged CIA Spy VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iran announced on Monday it had sentenced a dual U.S.-Iranian citizen to death for spying for the CIA, creating fresh grounds for hostility with Washington at a time when Tehran has responded to new U.S. sanctions with military threats.
- US Presses Iran to Release American Sentenced for Spying VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- The United States is pressing Iran to release an American man who has been sentenced to death by an Iranian court on charges of spying for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. This comes at a time of rising tensions between the United States and Iran.
- American spy sentenced to death IRNA 09 Jan 2012 -- The Islamic Revolution Court branch 15 on Monday sentenced US spy, Amir Mirzaie Hekmati, to death.
- Iran sentences CIA spy to death ISNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iran sentenced the arrested CIA spy Amir Mirza Hekmati to death on charge of Moharebeh - Waging War against God.
- Iran Sentences U.S. Man To Death On Spying Charges RFE/RL 09 Jan 2012 -- An Iranian court has sentenced an Iranian-American man to death on charges of spying for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
- US Denies American Sentenced to Death in Iran Was Spying VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- The White House is denying that an American man sentenced to death by an Iranian court Monday on charges of spying for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency was engaged in espionage.
- Iran reports arrests of U.S. spies RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2012 -- Iran's Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi has announced the arrest of several alleged U.S. spies charged with an attempt to disrupt the upcoming parliamentary elections, the official IRNA news agency reported.
- IRGC commander: Iran prepared to give crushing response to enemies IRNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Monday that the forces under his command are well-prepared to thwart any plots masterminded by the enemies.
- Leader: Lively turnout in election will strike blow to enemy IRNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Monday that lively turnout of the people in the upcoming election will strike another blow to the enemy.
- Iranian leader seeks support in Latin America RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad started on Sunday a four-nation Latin American tour with a visit to Venezuela as part of an effort to win support in the region.
- Iran Starts Uranium Enrichment Underground VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iran has confirmed it has started uranium enrichment at a second facility where the material can be upgraded quickly for potential use in a nuclear bomb.
- North Korean Film Promotes Young Leader's Military Experience VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- North Korea's media made no overt reference to its new leader's apparent birthday, Sunday, in a country where the birthdays of his deceased father and grandfather are celebrated as national holidays. But the day was marked with the broadcast of a television documentary highlighting Kim Jong Un's experiences guiding the country's military.
- Baghdad Bombs Target Shi'ite Pilgrims, 16 Killed VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Iraqi authorities say a series of bombings in Baghdad has killed 16 people and wounded more than 40 others, many of them Shi'ite pilgrims traveling to the holy city of Karbala for an annual ritual.
- Ex-Pakistani prime minister seeks US memo players be unmasked IRNA 09 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani opposition leader and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif Monday called for introducing players behind 'memogate' scandal that centers on a memo allegedly sent last May to then Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Ex-Pakistani Envoy Denies Link to Controversial Memo VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- Pakistan's former ambassador to the United States has denied any connection to a memo sent to Washington asking for U.S. help in preventing a purported army coup.
- Riot Investigator Decries Lack Of Access To Zhanaozen Residents RFE/RL 09 Jan 2012 -- A leading opposition politician has said that the reluctance of the Kazakh authorities to share information is hampering investigations into the violence that broke out in the country's west last month.
- China launches remote-sensing satellite RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2012 -- China launched a high-resolution remote-sensing satellite on Monday, Xinhua reported.
- Tymoshenko's Husband Accuses Kyiv Of Seeking To 'Physically Destroy' His Wife RFE/RL 09 Jan 2012 -- Oleksandr Tymoshenko, the husband of imprisoned former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, says he was forced to seek political asylum in the Czech Republic because of pressure from what he called the 'authoritarian regime' of President Viktor Yanukovych.
- U.S. expels top Venezuela diplomat RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2012 -- The United States has declared Venezuela's consul general in Miami persona non grata and given her until Tuesday to leave the country.
- Guinea-Bissau: Ban calls for proper transfer of power after leader's death UN News Centre 09 Jan 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed hope today that the leadership of Guinea-Bissau will transfer according to the West African country's constitution after the death of President Malam Bacai Sanhá.
- Guinea Bissau Looks to Power Transfer After President's Death VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- President's death should lead to elections within months to determine new leader
- UN human rights chief welcomes lifting of state of emergency in Fiji UN News Centre 09 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations human rights chief today welcomed the lifting of a state of emergency in Fiji, more than two years after it was imposed, calling it a 'step in the right direction' for the Pacific island nation.
- Northrop Grumman's Astro Aerospace Unit Completes Critical Design Audit of Reflector Boom Assembly for SMAP Mission Northrop Grumman 09 Jan 2012 -- Astro Aerospace, a strategic business unit of Northrop Grumman Corporation, has completed a major milestone in the development of the reflector boom assembly (RBA) for NASA's Soil Moisture Active Passive (SMAP) Mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|