08 June 2010 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 08 June 2010 [PDF]
- Airpower Summary: June 7 AFNS 08 Jun 2010
- Tennessee Guardsmen patrol Q-West perimeter Army News 08 Jun 2010 -- Soldiers of C/1-278th Armored Cavalry Regiment can be seen leaving a trail of dust across the desert surrounding Q-West, Iraq, on a regular basis.
- Soldiers return home from Iraq Army News 08 Jun 2010 -- More than 80 Soldiers with the 1st Armored Division's Special Troops Battalion came home from Iraq June 4.
- Forces Detain Suspects in Afghanistan AFPS 08 Jun 2010 -- An Afghan-international security force detained multiple suspected insurgents during operations in Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
- NATO Hit by 13 Deaths in 24 Hours in Afghanistan VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- NATO says three more soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, just one day after 10 service members died in a string of attacks across the country.
- Marine Mechanics Repair Life-saving Vehicles in Afghanistan USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- Marines with Maintenance Company, CLR 15 (Forward) keep tactical vehicles up and running.
- 1st MLG Corpsmen Team Up to Save Lives at British Hospital in Afghanistan USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- Doctors, nurses and Corpsmen with Surgical B/1st Medical Battalion help the joint-services medical staff provide medical care to patients at Bastion Hospital.
- A Brave Choice In Nawa USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- During an Afghanistan National Army-led reintegration shura a former Taliban commander was released from custody and welcomed back into Nawa, June 1.
- Afghan drug trade threat to global stability - Russian drug chief RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Afghan drug production is an international rather than a local or regional threat.
- Pakistani Police Arrest Suspected Foreign Militants RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani police said they have arrested 12 wounded foreigners who they suspect are militants.
- Pakistanis Witness Public Execution Ordered by Taliban Court VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Hundreds of people in northwest Pakistan watched a public execution after a Taliban court found a man guilty of killing two brothers.
- Australia assures Pakistan support in anti-terror war IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Visiting Australian defense minister Senator Faulkner met President Zardari and assured continued support of Australian Government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Joint Media Availability with Secretary Gates and British Secretary of State for Defence Fox from London DoD 08 Jun 2010
- Gates: Nuclear Weapons Would Make Iran Less Secure AFPS 08 Jun 2010 -- If Iran were to succeed in acquiring nuclear weapons, the subsequent chain of events would make that country less secure.
- Missile Defense Sore Topic Between Washington and Moscow VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty signed between the United States and Russia, does not specifically address the issue.
- Gates, British Counterpart Praise Alliance AFPS 08 Jun 2010 -- The defense secretaries of the United States and Great Britain praised the strength and depth of the US-British alliance.
- Tinker maintained B-1 milestone AFNS 08 Jun 2010 -- A B-1 Lancer will reach the 10,000-hour flying mark by early June.
- Enterprise Conducts At-Sea Quick Draw Drill Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- Sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN65) conducted an at-sea quick draw drill June 6.
- USS Taylor Makes Historic Stop in Port Mahon Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- USS Taylor (FFG 50) visited Port Mahon, Menorca, in the Balearic Islands of Spain June 3–7.
- Cambodia Becomes First New CARAT Partner in 16 Years Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- Arrival of USS Tortuga marked the opening event of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training Cambodia 2010.
- CARAT 2010 Highlights 'Special Relationship' Between US, Malaysia Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- USS Vandegrift, USCGC Mellon and USNS Salvor arrived in Malaysia for the fourth phase of the 16th annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise.
- BALTOPS 10 MPF operations kick off in Latvia USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- The first phase of the multinational maritime exercise BALTIC OPERATIONS 2010 began.
- French and US Aviators Conduct Interoperability Exercises Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) conducted interoperability exercises with the French nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle (R 91) June 4-7.
- Airmen participate in Unified Engagement 2010 AFNS 08 Jun 2010 -- US Air Forces in Europe officials joined representatives from 7 other countries here to participate in Unified Engagement 2010.
- US Sailors Build Relations with Polish Sailors Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- Polish Navy Sailors from different squadrons hosted a basketball tournament against U.S. Navy Sailors from USS Mount Whitney (LCC/JCC 20) and USS Simpson (FFG 56) during a three-day port visit by the ships to Gdynia, Poland, June 5.
- Latvian, American Officials Open Renovated Fire Training Tower Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 7 assisted Latvia's Fire and Rescue Services with the renovation of a fire training tower that opened May 26 in Ventspils, Latvia.
- Marine Corps Reserve KC-130 aircraft conduct refueling missions over Morocco during AFRICAN LION 2010 USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- Marines and sailors from Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 234 on a two-week deployment.
- Tankers train tenaciously in Moroccan desert during AFRICAN LION 2010 combined exercise USMC News 08 Jun 2010 -- The training tests a platoon’s ability to work as a cohesive unit as they engage targets.
- NAVFAC Completes NAS Patuxent River Aircraft Facility Navy NewsStand 08 Jun 2010 -- Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to commemorate Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington's completion of Phase I of an Aircraft Prototype Facility (APF) June 4.
- Fort Riley becomes home to the 1st Warrior Transition Battalion complex Army News 08 Jun 2010 -- Fort Riley, home to the first WTB in the Army, is now home to the first completed WTB complex - a $54 million dollar facility.
- Guard Completes Sandbag, Barrier Missions on Gulf AFPS 08 Jun 2010 -- The Louisiana National Guard has completed two missions as part of its response to mitigate the effects of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Russian military unveils new command structure RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Russia's General Staff is planning to merge existing military districts into four strategic commands.
- Russia needs Mistral to protect Kuril Islands RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Russia needs Mistral class amphibious assault ships to boost the combat capabilities of its Navy in the Far East.
- France committed to naval cooperation with Russia - Sarkozy RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- France is committed to selling a Mistral-class helicopter carrier to Russia because Russia is its European security partner.
- Russian, Norwegian warships conduct live fire drills at Pomor-2010 RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Russian and Norwegian warships practiced firing live artillery rounds at simulated surface and aerial targets during Pomor-2010 exercises.
- Paraguay ready to cooperate with Russia in security sphere RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Paraguayan FM Lacognata: Country is ready to cooperate with Russia in the spheres of security and defense.
- Incoming Japanese Prime Minister Pledges to Honor Okinawa Deal VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- New Japanese PM Kan will honor a previous agreement with the US to relocate a military air base on the southern island of Okinawa.
- S. Korea Plans to Stage Exercise KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- The Second Corps of the South Korean army announced that it would stage military exercises for ground cooperation in the areas of Chunchon and Hwachon.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing - 06/08/10 US Dept. of State 08 Jun 2010
- DoD News: Contracts for June 08, 2010
- Airbus Military: building on 10 years of MRTT experience EADS 08 Jun 2010 -- This year, Airbus is celebrating 10 years of experience in the Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) business, following the German Luftwaffe’s decision, in 2000, to get up to four of its Airbus A310 aircraft converted into MRTTs.
- Lockheed Martin Develops Tactical Handheld Device for Dismounted Soldier Situational Awareness Lockheed Martin 08 Jun 2010 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has developed a ruggedized, tactical handheld device for dismounted Soldiers. The Tactical Digital Assistant (TDA) provides unprecedented situational awareness, command and control, and blue force tracking capabilities to brigade and below forces.
- U.S. Army Awards Lockheed Martin $142 Million for Additional Persistent Threat Detection Aerostat Systems Lockheed Martin 08 Jun 2010 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] received a $142 million award from the U.S. Army to begin production of additional Persistent Threat Detection Systems (PTDS) to support coalition forces.
- Warfighter Information Network - Tactical Team Completes Design Milestone for Key Subsystem Lockheed Martin 08 Jun 2010 -- Fully networked, high-speed communications are one-step closer for today’s soldiers. As lead for the Warfighter Information Network – Tactical (WIN-T) Increment 3 Transmission Subsystem, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has successfully completed an In Process Review(IPR) for the critical design of the next phase of the Increment 3 Transmission Subsystem. Increment 3 continues development of the components needed to meet the full range of network capacity, security, and full on-the-move capabilities for the Army’s modular force. The transmission subsystem provides the foundation for the network’s dynamic capability to transfer data over a highly dispersed, noncontiguous area.
- IAI to Present TopGun, a Course Correction Fuze, at Eurosatory Israel Aerospace Industries 08 Jun 2010 -- Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) will unveil a series of effective and affordable weapon systems at this year's Eurosatory Symposium & Exhibition in Paris, June 14th-18th, 2010 (Booth E-700). These systems share the common vision of affordability and precision, transforming "statistical" artillery into precision weapons. IAI's vision of future weapon systems stresses the ability to create highly precise systems that enable the support fire elements to do their jobs faster, more accurately and with much less collateral damage.
- Thales innovates to protect the foot soldier with the portable biodosimeter Thales 08 Jun 2010 -- Thales innovates to protect soldiers by launching BioWARD, a personal chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) detection solution. BioWARD is a portable biodosimeter capable of continuously collecting the biological substances absorbed by foot soldiers to minimise as quickly as possible the impact of any contamination on their health.
- Lockheed Martin Inducts Third C-5 To Become Super Galaxy Lockheed Martin 08 Jun 2010 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] inducted its third C-5 Galaxy strategic airlifter into the Reliability Enhancement and Re-engining Program (RERP) production line at its facility here today.
- Northrop Grumman Submits Proposal for NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance Northrop Grumman 08 Jun 2010 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) formally submitted its proposal this week for the NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance (AGS) system – NATO's top and long-running acquisition program. A contract award is anticipated in October 2010.
- SAIC Awarded $94 Million Contract by the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWARSYSCEN) Atlantic SAIC 08 Jun 2010 -- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) (NYSE: SAI) today announced it has been awarded a follow-on contract by the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWARSYSCEN) Atlantic to provide program management and technical services to SPAWARSYSCEN Atlantic's Tactical Command and Control Division, Rapid Capability Insertion (RCI) operation. The single-award contract has a one-year base period of performance, a single one-year option, and a total value of more than $94 million if all options are exercised. Work will be performed in Charleston and Orangeburg, S.C.; Warren, Mich.; Albany, Ga.; and Quantico, Va.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General and the Spokesperson for the General Assembly President - 06/08/10 United Nations 08 Jun 2010
- Japan Accused of Joining in US Anti-DPRK Campaign KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Japan has behaved in a disgusting manner since the outbreak of the case of "Cheonan's" sinking in south Korea.
- Lee Myung Bak Accused of Referring "Cheonan" Case to UNSC KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- The south Koreans finally referred the case of its warship sinking to the UN Security Council on June 5.
- Russian experts to probe Cheonan issue at home RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- ROK Defense Ministry has given materials on the sinking of the Cheonan warship to Russian experts for further investigations.
- Russian experts to report Cheonan sinking conclusions soon RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Conclusions of Russian experts on the sinking of Cheonan will be reported to the Defense Ministry in 2 to 3 days.
- Obama, Abbas Meet Wednesday To Discuss Mideast Peace Process VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- US President Obama hosts Palestinian President Abbas to discuss ways to keep the Middle East peace process going.
- Regional Summit Leaders Denounce Israeli Raid on Aid Flotilla VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Turkish President Gul: All members of a regional summit except Israel have denounced last week's deadly Israeli commando raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla.
- Israeli Military to Launch its Own Flotilla Raid Investigation VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Israel's military is launching its own investigation of last week's commando raid that killed nine activists on an aid flotilla trying to break the blockade on Gaza.
- Israeli army forms expert group to probe into Freedom Flotilla attack RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- The Israeli army formed an expert group to probe into the circumstances of attack on a Gaza-bound aid convoy.
- Putin urges thorough investigation of Freedom Flotilla attack RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- The circumstances of a recent Israeli attack on a Gaza-bound humanitarian aid convoy must be thoroughly investigated.
- MP: Iran to sent parliamentary delegation, relief aid to Gaza IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Head of Iranian Parliament's Commission on National Security and Foreign Policies Boroujerdi: Iranian Majlis is ready to dispatch a parliamentary group along with humanitarian relief aid to people in Gaza.
- Ahmadinejad: Attacking peace Flotilla step towards death for Israel and its masters IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- IRI president: Attack against Gaza Peace Flotilla was a big step of that regime and its masters towards death and total annihilation.
- In Brief: Destroying the last remnants of Gaza war IRIN 08 Jun 2010 -- The UN Mine Action Team in Gaza has completed the destruction of white phosphorus ordnance left over from the Israeli “Cast Lead” military operation.
- Good Indo-Pak relations in both countries' interest: Singh IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- PM Singh: Good neighbourly relations between Indian and Pakistan are in interest of both countries.
- Three Somali Government Ministers Resign VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Three Somali ministers say they have resigned, dealing a further blow to the country's already fragile government.
- Ban names new head of UN mission in Central African Republic and Chad UN News Centre 08 Jun 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban has appointed veteran staffer Mahmoud of Tunisia as the new head of MINURCAT.
- Uganda Invites Bashir to AU Summit VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Uganda: Sudanese President al-Bashir is invited to AU summit in Kampala, backing off a statement that Mr. Bashir would not be welcome.
- Nigerian Authorities Impose Curfew on Niger State VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- In Nigeria, authorities have imposed a curfew in Niger State after ethnic and religious violence broke out, killing at least 12 people.
- Bomb Attack on Police Vehicle in Turkey Wounds 15 VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Turkish officials say 15 people have been wounded in a bomb attack on a police vehicle in Istanbul.
- Envoy Predicts Independence Ruling On Kosovo Will Be 'Mixed' But Break New Ground RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- Pieter Feith speculated on the outcome of the deliberations of the ICJ on the legality of Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence.
- Ban welcomes deal between Eritrea and Djibouti to resolve border conflict UN News Centre 08 Jun 2010 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the agreement signed by Eritrea and Djibouti to resolve their two-year border dispute through a negotiated settlement.
- African Union Praises Eritrea, Djibouti Border Mediation VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- The African Union has welcomed an agreement between Eritrea and Djibouti that calls on Qatar to mediate their long-standing border dispute.
- Threats From North Korea Reveal Generation Gap in South Korea VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Despite threatening words from North Korea, many South Koreans are unconcerned.
- Rodong Sinmun on Developing DPRK-China Friendship KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il's recent visit to China was a historic event as it strikingly demonstrated again the fact that the DPRK-China friendship is unbreakable.
- China protests to North Korea over deadly shooting RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- China has protested to North Korea after 3 of its nationals were shot dead by a border guard.
- China Protests to N. Korea About Border Shooting VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- China says it has filed a formal complaint with North Korea about the killing of three Chinese citizens last week by a North Korean border guard.
- Iran Sanctions Vote Culminates Months of Effort by US VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- President Obama is awaiting an expected UN Security Council vote that would impose a fourth round of multilateral sanctions on Iran.
- US Defense Secretary Optimistic UN Will Pass New Iran Sanctions VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- US Defense Secretary Gates optimistic the UN Security Council will approve new sanctions against Iran.
- UN Security Council to Vote Wednesday on New Round of Iran Sanctions VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- UN Security Council is expected to vote Wednesday morning on a fourth round of sanctions against Iran.
- UN Security Council draft resolution on Iran fully agreed - diplomat RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- The UN Security Council members have fully agreed on a draft resolution presenting a new set of sanctions on Iran.
- Ahmadinejad Says No Nuclear Talks If Sanctions Are Passed RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- President Ahmadinejad has warned that Iran will cut off any talks about its nuclear program if the UN adopts new sanctions against it.
- Iranian President Warns New Sanctions Could End Nuclear Talks VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- The Iranian president warns that new UN sanctions could mean the end of talks over the country's controversial nuclear program.
- Talks cannot be in tandem with resolutions: President IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Visiting President Ahmadinejad of Iran: US could not think of adopting anti-Iran resolutions and trying to hold talks with the country simultaneously.
- Mehman-Parast: Resolutions against Iran not effective IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Iran's FM spokesman Mehman-Parast: Issuing resolutions against Iran was an illogical and irrational behavior.
- UN Sanctions Proposal Takes Aim At Iran's Shipping Industry RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- As the UN Security Council prepares to debate placing new sanctions on Iran, it is becoming clearer that Iran's shipping industry will be one of the main targets.
- Iran Sanctions Resolution Ready For UN Vote RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- A UN resolution to impose fresh sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program is ready for vote by the UN Security Council.
- UN Security Council Begins Consultations on Iran Sanctions VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- The U.N. Security Council has begun consultations on a possible fourth round of sanctions against Iran because of the country's controversial nuclear program.
- President: Iran's nuclear activities, legal IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- President Ahmadinejad: Nuclear activities of the Islamic Republic of Iran are considered as the country's legal right based on the justice and the global regulations.
- Kazakh president: CICA backs Tehran Declaration IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev: CICA member states support the Tehran Declaration on Iran's peaceful nuclear program.
- Putin set to discuss Iranian nuclear issue with Ahmadinejad RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Russian PM Putin: May discuss the Iranian nuclear issue with President Ahmadinejad on the sidelines of a regional summit in Istanbul.
- Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant to go into operation in August - Putin RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- The Bushehr nuclear plant in Iran will go into operation according to schedule in August.
- Spokesman: Exchanging Amiri with arrested Americans improper issue IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Iran’s FM Spokesman Mehman-parast: Exchanging Shahram Amiri with 3 Americans was an improper suggestion.
- Mystery Deepens Over Missing Iranian Scientist After Second YouTube Video Surfaces RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- Video has deepened mystery over Amiri, an Iranian nuclear scientist who went missing about a year ago.
- Did Hassan Khomeini Punch Iran's Interior Minister In The Nose? RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- The fallout continues from Friday's heckling of the grandson of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
- Press Conference by Permanent Representative of Afghanistan on Security Council Reform - 8 June 2010 United Nations 08 June 2010
- Sudan Demands US Apology, Compensation for 1998 Plant Attack VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Leading member of Sudan's ruling NCP: Sudanese are still angry over the 1998 US bombing of the El-Shifa pharmaceutical manufacturing plant.
- Message from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Belarus The White House 08 Jun 2010
- Notice from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Belarus The White House 08 Jun 2010
- Message from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Western Balkans The White House 08 Jun 2010
- Notice from the President on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Western Balkans The White House 08 Jun 2010
- US Vice President Urges Kenyans to Embrace Reform VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Kenya’s foreign minister said visiting U.S Vice President Joseph Biden is scheduled to address a public forum in the capital.
- Biden: New Kenya Constitution Will Lead to More American Investment VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Visiting US VP Biden has told Kenya the successful passage of a new constitution and other reforms will result in more American investment.
- Biden: US Will Increase Kenya Investment With Reforms VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says he is optimistic that Kenya's leaders will implement planned political reforms.
- Nations Prove More Willing to Combat Piracy than Prosecuting Pirate Suspects VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- International naval forces have caught scores of alleged pirates off the coast of Somalia in recent years.
- EU-Russia Rapprochement Set To Continue RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- Although they remain cautious, diplomats in Brussels say last week's EU-Russia summit could be the harbinger of a more positive era in relations between Moscow and Brussels.
- UN refugee agency requested to cease operations in Libya UN News Centre 08 Jun 2010 -- UN refugee agency reported that Libyan authorities have asked it to cease its work in the country and close its offices.
- Libya Expels UN Refugee Agency VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- UN refugee agency says the Libyan government has ordered it to leave the country.
- Top UN health official refutes conflict of interest claims in handling of H1N1 pandemic UN News Centre 08 Jun 2010 -- Head of the UN WHO spoke out against accusations that the agency bowed to pressure from pharmaceutical companies.
- Blood Diamond Monitor Says Zimbabwe Meets Standards VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- The global body that guards against the sale of so-called "blood diamonds" says Zimbabwe has met its standards.
- Dialogue, cooperation vital to tackling shared concerns: Ban IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Dialogue and cooperation are critical in today's world, where a range of shared challenges require common approaches by countries and organizations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|