16 July 2006 Military News
- CENTAF releases airpower summary AFPN 16 Jul 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for July 16.
- At Least 13 Dead in Iraq Suicide Blast VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- A suicide bomber blew himself up Sunday in a northern Iraqi cafe, killing at least 13 people and wounding 23 others in the town of Tuz Khurmatu.
- U.S.-Iraqi Patrol Gets Terrorists; Would-be Bomber Blows Up AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- U.S. and Iraqi soldiers killed two terrorists and captured seven others during a joint operation conducted in a rural area northwest of Baghdad late last week, officials in Iraq reported.
- U.S. Soldiers Free VOA reporter, Seize Terrorists AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- U.S. soldiers freed a kidnapped Voice of America journalist and captured four suspected terrorists in two separate operations in Baghdad July 14, officials in Iraq reported.
- U.S. Troops Kill Terrorists in Iraq, IEDs Claim Two Soldiers AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- U.S. and Iraqi soldiers killed several terrorists and found an enemy weapons cache during separate operations in Baghdad yesterday, Multinational Force Iraq officials reported.
- Soldiers Work On Key Iraqi Road, Dam Projects AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- Civil affairs soldiers are here working to ensure local Iraqis have the strong foundation needed to rebuild and sustain their government long after the coalition leaves Iraq.
- Roadside Bomb Six Afghan Soldiers RFE/RL 16 Jul 2006 -- A roadside bomb blast killed six Afghan soldiers and wounded three more today in western Herat Province.
- Officials: Coalition Didn't Kill Afghan Non-combatants AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- Assessments from Helmand Province, Afghanistan, do not conclude that non-combatants were killed as a result of operations against extremists on July 12, according to coalition officials.
- Extremists Kill Afghan Civilians in Drive-by Shooting AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- Two Afghan civilians were killed and one was injured July 15 in a drive-by shooting in Zambar in Khowst Province.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Swift Delivery Showcases Versatility Navy NewsStand 16 Jul 2006 -- High Speed Vessel Swift (HSV 2) used her quickness, capacity and maneuverability to deliver repair parts and replenishment items from Manama, Bahrain, to Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, in less than 12 hours.
- Lincoln Hosts Australian Parliament Members Navy NewsStand 16 Jul 2006 -- USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) hosted six members of the Australian Parliament July 9 as a part of biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercises in the Hawaiian operating area.
- Press Briefing by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice The White House 16 Jul 2006
- Press Briefing on the G8 Leaders Joint Statement on the Situation in the Middle East by Under Secretary for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns and Tony Snow The White House 16 Jul 2006
- EGYPT: Arab League meeting on Lebanon falls short, say critics IRIN 16 Jul 2006 -- An emergency summit convened by the Arab League (AL) was described by Cairo-based analysts and human rights activists as "ineffective" in terms of dealing with the current situation in Lebanon.
- G8 Leaders Support Proposed U.N. Mission to Middle East Washington File 16 Jul 2006 -- President Bush joined other world leaders July 16 to support U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan's decision to send a team to the Middle East to try to defuse ongoing violence in the region and to seek the release of captured Israeli soldiers.
- US Accuses Iran, Syria of Complicity in Mideast Violence VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says Iran and Syria are fomenting conflict in the Middle East by supporting Hezbollah and other militant groups.
- G8 Leaders Call for Return of Kidnapped Israeli Soldiers, End to Israeli Military Actions VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Leaders of the biggest industrialized nations are calling for the return of kidnapped Israeli soldiers and an end to Israeli military operations
- Iran Denies Aiding Hezbollah, Describes Israeli Claim as 'Propaganda' VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- An Iranian government spokesman has denied charges that Iran is aiding the Lebanon-based Shiite group Hezbollah
- Rice Says No Ceasefire With Armed Hezbollah VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says she wants to see a sustainable ceasefire in the Middle East
- Israel Continues its Bombing Campaign in Lebanon, Hezbollah Rockets Hit Haifa VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Israel's prime minister on Sunday threatened "far-reaching consequences" for a Hezbollah rocket attack on the Israeli city of Haifa that left at least eight people dead and more than 20 others wounded
- Israel Bombs Al-Manar TV, Hezbollah Rockets Kill 8 in Haifa VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Rockets fired by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon have killed at least eight people in the Israeli city of Haifa, as Israeli warplanes continue to bomb targets inside Lebanon.
- Nasrallah: Hezbollah Continues to Respond to Israeli Military Strikes VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has vowed to continue attacks on Israel, following a rocket strike that killed eight people at an Israeli railroad station.
- U.S. Military Team In Lebanon To Evaluate, Plan Evacuations AFPS 16 Jul 2006 -- A U.S. military team is now in Lebanon evaluating the possibility of evacuating thousands of American citizens there, a Defense Department spokesman said here today.
- SYRIA: Damascus eases border crossing IRIN 16 Jul 2006 -- The government has facilitated the entry into Syria of thousands of Arab and foreign tourists who, for the last four days, have been fleeing Israeli aggression in Lebanon.
- LEBANON: Exodus hits economy IRIN 16 Jul 2006 -- On any normal weekend day, the streets of downtown Beirut and Achrafieh would be crowded with people and cars, but today they remain eerily empty, as café's and restaurants remain closed.
- LEBANON: Profiles of key players IRIN 16 Jul 2006
- LEBANON: Life goes on as Israeli attacks continue IRIN 16 Jul 2006 -- Apart from the thundering of Israeli jets, it is silent in Haret Hreyk, a normally lively neighbourhood in south Beirut, in which most of Hizbullah's offices are located. Shops are sealed, homes are closed and most inhabitants have left.
- LEBANON: Hundreds displaced by Israeli attacks, say aid workers IRIN 16 Jul 2006 -- Aid workers say that hundreds of people have been displaced from the south of the country and from the suburbs of the capital, all areas which have come under heavy Israeli attack in recent days.
- Iran denies allegations on its military presence in Lebanon IRNA 16 Jul 2006 -- An Iranian diplomat denied here Saturday Zionist regime's allegations on presence of Iranian troops in Lebanon.
- Asefi rejects claim on dispatch of missiles to Hizbullah by Iran IRNA 16 Jul 2006 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi here Sunday dismissed the claim that Iran has dispatched missiles for Lebanon's Hizbullah.
- G8 leaders urge to end to Mideast violence RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2006 -- G8 leaders adopted a statement on the situation around the Middle East, calling upon the parties in the conflict to stop violence and bring the situation in Gaza and Lebanon back to normal.
- 113 Lebanese killed in Israel attacks - Health Ministry RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2006 -- The number of Lebanese people killed in Israeli attacks on regions inside the country has increased to 113, the country's health minister said Sunday.
- Lebanon's Hizbollah threatens destruction of Israeli city Haifa RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2006 -- Lebanese radical Islamist group Hizbollah warned Israel Sunday that the country's third largest city Haifa, along with its suburbs, would "burn in flames" if Israel committed any "new foolish acts".
- Lebanese PM Calls for Ceasefire; Israeli Air Strikes Continue VOA 16 Jul 2006 -- Israeli air strikes in Lebanon killed at least 32 people on Saturday, and residents in the heavily targeted south were trying desperately to flee
- Wrap: Lavrov hails N.Korea decision, highlights Mideast concerns RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2006 -- Russia's foreign minister gave his support Sunday to a UN Security Council resolution on North Korea, backed UN discussions on Iran, and pledged to use all available means to calm the Israeli-Lebanese conflict.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|