06 August 2005 Military News
- One Task Force Freedom Soldier killed
- Iraqi Police lead U.S. Soldiers to weapons cache sites MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Local Iraqi Police led U.S. Soldiers to two weapons cache sites west of Musayyib recently.
- Terrorist letter claims poor leadership in Mosul MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Security Forces detained six suspected terrorists and seized a number of items including a letter written to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi while conducting a raid on a safe house in Mosul July 27.
- 1/11th ACR destroys terror cell, find weapons, cash MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- In the 48 hours spanning Aug. 3 and 4, Soldiers of 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division conducted a series of raids to nab key planners of terrorist attacks and to seize weapons and bomb-making materials in Abu Ghraib, a western province of Baghdad.
- UPDATE: Operation Quick Strike benefits from citizen tip MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Security Force Soldiers and Marines from Regimental Combat Team-2, acting on a tip from a local citizen, destroyed three car bombs while conducting cordon and search operations as part of Operation Quick Strike .
- Iraqi and U.S. forces capture suspected insurgents MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces and U.S. Soldiers captured 39 suspected insurgents during a morning raid Aug. 5 in Sharmiyah.
- Operation Able Warrior nets more than 40 terrorists MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers conducted Operation Able Warrior to defeat terror cells operating west of the Baghdad International Airport in the early morning hours of Aug. 4.
- UPDATE: Operation Quick Strike nets weapons caches MNF-I 06 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Security Force Soldiers and Marines from Regimental Combat Team-2, discovered two weapons caches in caves outside of Haqliniyah during Operation Quick Strike August 6.
- Coalition Forces seize terror suspects, bombs VOA 07 Aug 2005 -- Coalition Forces captured seven terror suspects, seized a car bomb being prepared for an attack, and foiled five roadside bomb attacks during a series of combat operations conducted in the capitol city Aug. 5 and 6.
- Iranian-made Bombs Being Discovered in Iraq VOA 06 Aug 2005 -- U.S. and other coalition officials in Iraq are voicing concern about the recent discoveries of highly-sophisticated and lethal roadside bombs being smuggled into the country from Iran.
- At Least Six Iraqis, Including Chalabi Aide, Killed RFE/RL 06 Aug 2005 -- At least six Iraqis have been killed in overnight violence as a U.S.-led offensive in western Iraq enters a third day.
- U.S., Iraqi Forces Fight Off Coordinated Attacks RFE/RL 06 Aug 2005 -- The U.S. military says six suspected militants and an Iraqi soldier were killed when U.S. and Iraqi forces fought off a series of coordinated insurgent attacks in south Baghdad.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Israel Considers Crackdown on Jewish Militants VOA 06 Aug 2005 -- Israel is considering tough measures to forestall fresh attacks by Jewish extremists, after an army deserter shot and killed four Israeli Arabs on a bus on Thursday
- Refugees Flee Unknown Attackers in Central African Republic VOA 06 Aug 2005 -- Thousands of refugees have fled to Chad, escaping violence in northern Central African Republic
- Tension high as Sudan buries Garang VOA 06 Aug 2005 -- Tensions were high in Sudan Saturday as hundreds of thousands of people, under tight security from both government and rebel troops, filled the streets of Juba in the country's south to mourn the death of John Garang, the former rebel leader and vice president whose sudden death last week sparked riots in the capital
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|