08 September 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 8 September 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 08 Sep 1999
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing 09 September 1999 -- EAST TIMOR Security Situation / US View and National Security Interest / Indonesia's Relation with the International Community at Risk / US Financial and Military Assistance / Effect on Investment Climate / UN Security Council Delegation
- Gov't of Indonesia: UN will not send forces to East Timor 8 September 1999 -- The Foreign Minister of Indonesia, as reported in the Kompas daily, stressed today that no UN forces will be deployed in Indonesia. This force, he said, could be deployed in phase 3, that is, the phase after the Indonesian People's Consultative Assembly has taken a decision on the popular consultation, but Indonesia will continue to be responsible for security during phase 2.
- Masters/Wolfowitz see relations surviving Timor crisisTranscript: September 8 Worldnet on U.S.-Indonesian Relations -- The United States and Indonesia have to approach the East Timor crisis "as partners," said one-time U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia Edward Masters, who stressed that the best approach for the United States, the world's third most populous country, in dealing with Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous country, was to treat Indonesia as an equal.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF PORTUGAL 8 September 1999 -- - The Indonesian military was in control of East Timor, and had formed and identified with the militias. Portugal was calling on the United Nations to sever all links with the Indonesian military and to impose sanctions on it. Portugal considered the Indonesian military to be outlaws and criminals who should stand trial.
- APEC / E. TIMOR UPDATE Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- The situation in East Timor is dominating preparations for the upcoming Asia-Pacific summit, in New Zealand. Foreign ministers from the APEC nations are preparing to meet Thursday to discuss ways to end the violence.
- U-S-TIMOR Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- The Clinton administration is urging Indonesia to move quickly to restore order in East Timor or allow an international peacekeeping force into the territory to end the post-independence referendum violence.
- UNITED NATIONS / JAKARTA Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- : A United Nations Security Council team has begun negotiations with Jakarta on ways to end the bloodshed in East Timor. But so far there appears to be no change in Indonesia's refusal to allow international peacekeepers into the province, before November.
- OUTRAGE OVER EAST TIMOR Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- In the United States, the tone of editorials demanding some kind of armed intervention by the United Nations, or some of its member states, is becoming more strident. Several papers are counseling extreme caution about any sort of intervention without Indonesian approval, which has not been forthcoming.
- CONGRESS-INDONESIA Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- Members of the U-S Congress are speaking out Some lawmakers are calling for immediate sanctions on Indonesia.
- EAST TIMOR: 'DELAY WILL LEAD TO BUTCHERY' USIA Foreign Media Reaction Report 08 September 1999 -- The rapidly unfolding situation in East Timor-- where anti-independence militias continue to rampage in the capital, Dili, and throughout the province with apparent impunity-- provoked an outpouring of editorial comment from East and South Asia, Europe, the Western Hemisphere and Africa. Analysts expressed extreme dismay over the plight of the pro-independence East Timorese, whom they saw as being "abandoned" by the international community as it debates what action to take on East Timor. Despite Jakarta's imposition of martial law in the province, sentiment was strong that the Indonesian government had lost a good measure of credibility in its handling of post-referendum events in East Timor.
- EAST TIMOR SITREP Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- Thousands of refugees have begun streaming out of East Timor, to flee violence by armed militia groups rampaging throughout the territory. International relief workers say the refugees now face food and water shortages and continued terror by pro-Indonesia militiamen.
- RAMOS-HORTA-EAST TIMOR Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- As the U-N Security Council meets to consider what to do about East Timor, an independence leader has called for international intervention in the territory and economic sanctions against Indonesia. Jose Ramos-Horta was in Washington to urge American leadership to take action to prevent what he said is -- impending genocide
- TIMOR - PENTAGON Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- Defense Secretary William Cohen says the United States has no plans to send peacekeeping troops to troubled East Timor, but may provide other kinds of support for an international force. Mr. Cohen also says Indonesia could face serious economic consequences if it fails to stop violence directed at East Timorese supporters of independence from Indonesia.
- U-N TIMOR EVACUATION DELAY Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- The United Nations has delayed for 24 hours its decision to evacuate its staff in East Timor to Australia.
- U-N / E. TIMOR Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- A senior delegation from the United Nations Security Council has arrived in the Indonesian capital Jakarta to discuss ways to end the bloodshed in East Timor. Armed militia groups which are opposed to East Timor's separation from Indonesia have virtually overrun the territory, which voted for independence in a U-N supervised referendum last week.
- RUSSIA / DAGESTAN Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- Russian forces are stepping up an offensive in the southern Dagestan region, one day after President Boris Yeltsin angrily demanded prompt measures to crush a Muslim insurgency. Dagestani leaders are also expressing impatience with the slow pace of the fighting.
- CONGO-BENIN REFUGEES Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- For the cease-fire in Congo to work, Rwanda's government says President Laurent Kabila must agree to hand-over suspects from Rwanda's 1994 genocide. Former Rwandan soldiers are to be disarmed as part of the latest peace plan.
- CONGO / RWANDA GENOCIDE Voice of America 08 September 1999 -- For the cease-fire in Congo to work, Rwanda's government says President Laurent Kabila must agree to hand-over suspects from Rwanda's 1994 genocide. Former Rwandan soldiers are to be disarmed as part of the latest peace plan.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|