Camp Walker is located about one-half mile southwest of Camp Henry in the Nam-gu District of Daegu, on 194 acres (237,474 pyeong). The camp is serene and is one of the nicest U.S. Army installations in the ROK. Camp Walker contains the major life support activities for the U.S. Army enclave in Daegu and housing for about 100 military and civilian families. The northernmost portion of the installation is home to the heliport (H-805) which was expected to be returned to the ROK government in 2007. The central portion is devoted to recreational use, including the Evergreen Golf Course, Kelly Fitness Center and Kelly Field. Family housing units are located in the west-central section and community facilities such as the Main Exchange, Burger King, and other facilities dominate the east central portion.
Major tenant units assigned to Camp Walker included the 36th Signal Battalion, 168th Medical Battalion and the American Forces Network-Korea (AFN-K) Daegu Detachment. The 36th Signal Battalion provided strategic communications in support of customers in Area III and IV. It planned, installed, operated, maintained and defended command, control, communications, computers and information technology (C4IT) systems in support of combined, joint and Army operations. The 168th Medical Battalion (Area Support) provided Armistice healthcare, operating 13 clinics in Korea, including Wood Health Clinic on Camp Walker. Also, the Battalion provided preventive medicine support, field sanitation team training, food/water analysis, food facility and Department of Agriculture equipment inspections. The AFN-K Daegu Detachment provided radio and television entertainment and command information to families living in the lower third of the ROK. Its radio signal was heard in Daegu, Busan, Jinhae, Pohang and Waegwan on Eagle FM 88.1/88.5 and Thunder AM 1080. AFN-K television could be seen in all but Pohang.
Camp Walker opened around 1921 and consisted primarily of a firing range. Later, when an airfield was added by Japanese occupation forces, the base took on a greater significance. Housing opened in 1959, the same year the Department of Defense opened DODDS schools in Korea. Camp Walker was named after Lieutenant General Walton A. Walker, Commander of American Ground Forces under Eighth Army from 3 September 1948 until he was killed in a jeep accident on 23 December 1950.
Camp Walker was probably one of the nicest posts in Korea, although there were not as many events/activities offered as there were at Yongsan or Osan. The post itself was serene (primarily composed of housing and a golf course), but the surrounding city of Taegu was chaotic. There were several parks, temples, department stores and markets in the area to visit.
Camps Henry, Walker and George were located within a few blocks of one another in Taegu. Although each had several recreational facilities, generally Camp Henry was dominated by administration buildings, Camp George by enlisted housing and the DODDS Taegu American School, with Camp Walker housing the majority of the MWR and AAFES facilities in addition to officer housing. Combined, Camps Henry, Walker and George provided a comfortable community for Americans living and working in the Taegu area. This combined community was provided with services normally afforded major installations ranging from the BOSS program for single service members, to Family Advocacy Programs to assist married personnel and their families.
The Camp Walker Recreation Center offered something to soldiers wishing to squeeze a little fun and relaxation into their hectic schedule during the Ulchi Focus Lens exercise. Soldiers could unwind over a game of pool, ping-pong or darts. The library upstairs offered movies that patrons could check out and then watch on the big-screen television, while lounging on a sofa, and then conveniently return on their way out. The center also provided guitars, drums, keyboards and a piano that soldiers can play in the music room. A variety of equipment, including bicycles, televisions, VCRs and even a kitchen were provided.
Additional construction projects included the newly renovated 8,000-square-foot Bodine Dental Clinic, which opened for business in January 2006. The Camp Walker Post Exchange was in the process of being expanded to increase its floor space from 12,000-square-feet to 20,000-square-feet. The expanded facility was expected to open in November 2006.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|