US Army Garrison Daegu
Camp Henry, in the southeast of the Republic of Korea, is in the city of Daegu (also written Taegu). Daegu is the third largest city in Korea with some 3 million people. Camp Henry was built by the Imperial Japanese Army in 1921 and served as the headquarters for General Jiro Minami, the governor-general of Korea (1936-1942) and the supreme ruler of colonized Korea, and the Japanese forces located in the Daegu city area. During the Korean War, the camp saw little action because it was inside the northern edge of what became known as the Pusan (now Busan) Perimeter. The camp was used by the Korean Army after its liberation from Japan in 1945 and then used by the United States after the Korean War. The camp was memorialized in May 1960 in honor of First Lieutenant Frederick F. Henry, who served with Company F, 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. Henry was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for action near Am-dong, Korea, on 1 September 1950.
Taegu was home to Camps Walker, George, and Henry. A free shuttle linked all 3 posts with Camp Carroll. Daegu Metropolitan City was the fourth largest municipality in the Republic of Korea as of June 2008, with a population of about 2.5 million. It was the largest city in the North Gyeongsang Province (Gyeongsangbuk-do) and is located about 180 miles south of Seoul. Daegu sits in a basin surrounded by Palgong Mountain on the north, Biseul Mountain to the south, the foothills of Gaya Mountain to the west, and a series of smaller hills to the east. Because it sits in a basin, the mountains trap hot and humid air and make the city hotter than the rest of the ROK in summer. Major industries in Daegu are textiles, metals and machinery. The apples grown in the area were renowned throughout East Asia.
Taegu city is located in Kyong-sang-buk-do Province approximately: 17 highway miles from Waegwan (Camp Carroll), Kyong-sang-buk-do province, 107 highway miles from Pusan (Camp Hialeah), Kyong-sang-nam-do province, 70 miles north of Chinhae (US Naval Station), Kyong-sang-nam-do province, and 200 highway miles south of Seoul (Eighth US Army Post), the Capital of Korea.
The Daegu enclave (Camps George, Henry and Walker) had a population of about 5,000. There were about 1,400 US Army Soldiers, which comprised the largest single segment of the population. Other members of the community include Department of the Army civilian employees, contractors, Korean national employees, Korean Augmentation to the US Army (or KATUSA), Soldiers, and family members.
Major tenant units on Camp Henry were the 19th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) and the US Army Field Support Brigade-Far East. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) Southern Exchange Office and US Army Corps of Engineers-Far East District Southern Resident Office were also located on the installation.
The 19th ESC, formerly known as the 19th Theater Support Command, was the Army's first Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) to transform. It provided logistical support to the various subordinate units assigned to Eighth US Army throughout the peninsula.
US Army Field Support Brigade-Far East was initially established in April 1986 as the Logistics Assistance office-Far East. The command was officially organized as Army Material Command-Far East in July 1987. Its mission was to provide oversight to AMC activities in the Pacific Theater and serve as the Army Material Command focal point for logistics and readiness issues in support of US Army Pacific Command, US Army Japan and Eighth US Army.
Camp Henry was managed by the 20th Support Group and consisted of 51 acres dominated by administrative buildings. Other uses included community facilities, troop housing and outdoor recreation areas. It was in close proximity to both Camp George and Camp Walker, which shared most of the housing and recreational facilities.
The US Army Garrison Daegu, headquartered at Camp Henry, managed the installation and provided base operations services for the people who lived and worked there. The US Army Garrison Daegu was responsible for managing all US Army installations within the Area IV geographic region, which covered the lower third of the Korean peninsula stretching from Daejon to Busan. It also provided support to sister services in Area IV, including those stationed at Fleet Activities Chinhae (US Navy) in Jinhae, Gwangju Air Base (US Army and US Air Force on a ROK Air Force installation) in Gwangju, and Camp Mu Juk (US Marine Corps) in Pohang. Area IV was the largest of the US Army's 4 geographic regions in the ROK, covering about 10,000 square miles.
The US Army Garrison Daegu (whose mission was formerly held by the 20th Area Support Group until 16 October 2003, and later deactivated) had been a Department of the Army finalist in the Army Community of Excellence (ACOE) Program. The unit has received 12 Department of the Army and 8th US Army ACOE awards since the program was created in 1988 and the Daegu enclave was named the Army's best small overseas installation that year. The US Army Garrison Daegu was also named the winner of the DA Community Relations Award of Excellence in the ongoing programs category in fiscal year 2004, for its efforts to build ties with the Korean community.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|