300th Military Police (MP) Command
Military police (MP) involved in the Badger Triad exercise at Fort McCoy 3-17 June 2000 had the chance to work in both an enemy prisoner of war (EPW) compound and a camp for displaced civilians. The camps were organized and operated by the 300th MP Command, an Army Reserve unit based in Inkster, Mich. A team of six soldiers from the 415th Civil Affairs Battalion of Kalamazoo, Mich., also acted as liaisons at the camp for displaced civilians, which was dubbed "Camp Buckeye." While the majority of the enemy prisoners and displaced civilians were played by other soldiers from the 300th MP Command, several Wisconsin Army National Guard soldiers from Headquarters, State Area Command (STARC) added further realism to the exercise by playing distinct roles in the scenario.
The 300th POW Command was constituted on April 16, 1959, as HHC, 300th MP Prisoner of War Command, US Army Reserve and assigned to Fifth US Army. Activated May 1, 1959, at Royal Oak, Michigan. Changed location to Dearborn, Michigan on July 1, 1959. Changed location to Livonia, Michigan on April 7, 1966. Changed location to Inkster, Michigan on November 30, 1980. Reorganized and redesignated HHC, 300th MP Command on June 16, 1982.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved on 16 Dec 1969 for the 300th Military Police Prisoner of War Command. It was redesignated for the 300th Military Police Command on 7 Dec 1988, consisting of a green shield arched at top with a yellow vertical stylized doubled-bitted key with a pierced trifoliate bow all within a yellow border. The key is symbolic of authority, command, control, fidelity and wardenship. The double bits refer to the evacuation and process of prisoners of war and/or civilian internees from field Army areas to prisoner of war camps. The stem of the key in simulating the letter "I" also alludes to investigation, interrogation and internment. The three prongs of the bits and the three foils of the bow refer to the organization's mission of providing command, administration and logistical assistance to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Prisoner of War Camp. The open or pierced foils of the bow simulate the letter "C," the Roman numeral "100," the three foils thus signifying the numeral "300," the numerical designation of the Command. The end of the key stem is pointed to denote the ability of elements of the organization to engage in effective, coordinated defense of the unit's area or installation. The colors green and yellow are used for the Military Police Corps.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|