Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2012 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- Taiwan wants to join code of conduct discussion over South China Sea CNA 31 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan should be included in the discussion of the code of the conduct for the South China Sea, an official said Tuesday.
- Taiwan reasserts sovereignty over South China Sea islands CNA 31 Jul 2012 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday reasserted Taiwan's sovereignty over islands in the South China Sea, following news that Japan will help the Philippines boost its maritime security mechanisms.
- Taiwan urges Japan to refrain from 'nationalizing' Tiaoyutais CNA 26 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it has conveyed its concern to Japan over its reported plan to nationalize the Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea.
- Taiwan urges Japan to restrain over Tiaoyutai dispute CNA 25 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's government urged Japan to restrain itself on issues related to the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands.
- Taiwan reinforces military deployment in South China Sea CNA 24 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's military is standing ready to deploy mortars and anti-aircraft guns on Taiping Island in the South China Sea.
- Chinese spy ships, aircraft under strict monitoring CNA 23 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense denied that it had failed to detect spy ships from China when the military was conducting war games.
- Taiwan unlikely to acquire F-35 fighters soon: U.S. business council CNA 19 Jul 2012 -- The U.S.-Taiwan Business Council said Wednesday that Taiwan is unlikely to obtain advanced F-35 jet fighters in the next decade and that a contingency plan is needed to meet Taiwan's defense needs during the upgrade of its current fighter fleet.
- Taiwan puts South China Sea weather info online to assert sovereignty CNA 17 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan has begun publishing weather information for the Pratas Islands and Spratly Islands on its official weather website as part of efforts to assert sovereignty over the disputed South China Sea region, an official said Tuesday.
- Taiwan's aerospace company seeking to build F-16 maintenance center CNA 17 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Aerospace Industrial Development Corp. (AIDC) is seeking to build a maintenance center for F-16 jet fighters that can serve the Air Force as well as clients from Southeast Asian countries, the company spokesman said Tuesday.
- Taiwan signs F-16 A/Bs upgrade deal with U.S. CNA 16 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan has recently signed a proposal by the United States to retrofit the country's aging F-16 A/B jet fighters to seal the arms sales deal, Taiwan's Air Force said Monday.
- Taiwan to hold computer-aided war games CNA 15 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan will hold a five-day computer-aided war game beginning Monday as the second part of the Han Kuang series of exercises to test the country's defense capabilities amid the growing military threat from China.
- Taiwan, U.S. companies ink MOU on F-16 upgrades CNA 12 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Aerospace Industrial Development Corp. signed a memorandum of understanding with Lockheed Martin to pursue opportunities for Taiwan's F-16 A/B retrofit program.
- Taiwan maintains close military cooperation with U.S.: MOFA CNA 12 Jul 2012 -- Military cooperation between Taipei and Washington remains close despite Taiwan's exclusion from the U.S.-led Rim of the Pacific Exercise near Hawaii.
- Taiwan: Tiaoyutai, South China Sea issues 'international matters' CNA 12 Jul 2012 -- The disputed South China Sea region and Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea are international issues rather than cross-Taiwan Strait matters.
- U.S.-Japan treaty has no affect on Taiwan's claim over Tiaoyutais CNA 12 Jul 2012 -- A 1960 treaty between the United States and Japan does not affect Taiwan's sovereignty over the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea.
- Taiwan might give up on F-16C/D, pursue F-35B instead CNA 10 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan might give up attempting to purchase 66 F-16C/D fighter jets and pursue F-35B fighters as an alternative, due to budgeting issues.
- Taiwan President lauds Air Force's rescue efforts, defense capabilities CNA 10 Jul 2012 -- President Ma praised the Air Force's defense capabilities and rescue response efforts.
- Taiwan commissions new additions to rescue squadron CNA 10 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Air Force formally commissioned three search-and-rescue helicopters purchased from France to beef up its disaster response capabilities at a ceremony in Taipei.
- Taiwan MND apologizes for drone crash CNA 10 Jul 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense apologized to residents of the county of Taitung for inconvenience caused when a target drone crashed.
- Taiwan Navy investigating crashed drone CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- The Navy said that it is investigating a target drone that crashed into the ground in the eastern county of Taitung earlier in the day during a major live-fire missile drill.
- Crashed aircraft believed to be target in military drill CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- A drone that crashed in eastern Taiwan is believed to have been a target in a major military exercise that took place in Pingtung County earlier in the day.
- Most missiles hit targets in live-fire drill, despite drone problems CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- Most of the missiles in a major live-fire military exercise in the southern county of Pingtung were fired successfully to hit the targets.
- Taiwan military holds major live-fire missile exercise CNA 09 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's military forces held a major live-fire missile exercise in the southern county of Pingtung, as part of efforts to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
- Military to hold joint-forces live-fire missile exercise CNA 08 Jul 2012 -- The military will hold a joint-forces live-fire missile exercise Monday in the southern county of Pingtung as part of its efforts to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
- Taiwan will not work with China over Tiaoyutai row: foreign minister CNA 06 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan will not work with China to resolve the dispute over the Tiaoyutai Islands, Foreign Minister Timothy Yang said Friday, after Japanese authorities demanded earlier in the week that a Taiwanese fishing boat leave waters around the islands.
- Taiwan close to sealing F-16 A/Bs upgrade deal with U.S. CNA 05 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan will send back a proposal by the United States to overhaul the country's aging F-16 A/B jet fighters to seal the arms sales deal by the end of next week, Taiwan's military said Thursday.
- Taiwanese boats have right to enter waters off Tiaoyutais: ministry CNA 04 Jul 2012 -- Taiwanese boats have the right to enter the waters around the Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday, rejecting a protest lodged by Japan over a boat that recently entered the waters off the disputed islands.
- Coast guard escorts fishing boat near Tiaoyutais CNA 04 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's coast guard said Wednesday it prevented Japanese authorities from boarding a Taiwan fishing boat near the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea earlier in the day.
- Taiwan's military set to commission new additions to rescue squadron CNA 04 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Air Force will formally commission three search-and-rescue helicopters purchased from Europe to beef up its disaster response capabilities at a ceremony July 10, the military said recently.
- Taiwan to seal fighter upgrade deal with U.S. July 5 CNA 02 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's military said that a proposal by the United States to overhaul the country's aging F-16 A/B jet fighters has passed a review.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list