Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Analysts: North Korea to Build New Ballistic Missile Submarine VOA 30 Aug 2016 -- North Korea could soon develop a new submarine that will incorporate ongoing ballistic missile advances being made and increasing the military's capability to carry out a nuclear strike from the sea.
- Calls rise in S. Korea for nuclear-powered submarine after DPRK's SLBM test People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- Calls rose in South Korea for introducing a nuclear-powered submarine in response to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s advance in technology of submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBM).
- S.Korea's ruling party offers to deploy nuclear-power submarine People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's ruling party asked the military authorities on Monday to review special countermeasures including the deployment of a nuclear-powered submarine to fundamentally contain submarine-launched ballistic missiles of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- South Korean Nuclear Proponents: Conventional Deterrence is Failing VOA 25 Aug 2016 -- South Korean advocates of nuclear deterrence say the government in Seoul must pursue its own nuclear weapons programs to defend against North Korea's growing nuclear and ballistic missile capabilities.
- China Ups Pressure on South Korea Over Missile Plan VOA 25 Aug 2016 -- China appears to be intensifying a diplomatic and cultural campaign against a U.S.-South Korean plan to deploy an American missile defense system in South Korea – a system Beijing sees as threatening its security.
- S.Korea slams DPRK's test-firing of submarine-launched ballistic missile People's Daily 24 Aug 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday slammed the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for its test-firing of a ballistic missile from a submarine off its east coast into the sea.
- S.Korea sees DPRK's submarine-launched missile technology as significantly improved People's Daily 24 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's military on Wednesday saw the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s submarine-launched missile technology as significantly improved as its flight distance far exceeded what Seoul's defense ministry regards as a success.
- China, Japan, South Korea censure North's missile launch Press TV 24 Aug 2016 -- China, Japan and South Korea have denounced North Korea's latest missile test, calling on Pyongyang to refrain from "provocative" actions that could deteriorate the situation on the already-tense Korean Peninsula.
- Seoul makes a fuss about ADIZ entry People's Daily 24 Aug 2016 -- South Korean media reported on Monday that three Chinese strategic bombers trespassed into the overlapping area of China and South Korea's air defense identification zones (ADIZ) and approached the disputed Suyan Reef in a military drill by China in the East China Sea. The Chinese bombers left the area after being driven away by South Korea.
- Japan, China, S Korea begin meeting on disputes Press TV 23 Aug 2016 -- Foreign ministers of Japan, China and South Korea have kicked off a meeting in the Japanese capital to discuss their commonalities and differences amid boiling territorial disputes and problems with North Korea.
- Bridge of No Return: Seoul Accuses Pyongyang of Planting Landmines on Border Sputnik 23 Aug 2016 -- On Tuesday, the US-led United Nations Command accused the DPRK army of planting landmines near a bridge at the heavily-militarized border dividing the Korean peninsula.
- U.S., S. Korean Puppet Warmongers Kick off Ulji Freedom Guardian KCNA 23 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet warmongers on Monday kicked off Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises aimed to mount a preemptive nuclear attack on the DPRK, according to Yonhap News of south Korea.
- S Korean Defense Ministry to Consider Alternative Location for US THAAD System Sputnik 22 Aug 2016 -- The South Korean Defense Ministry said Monday it would consider the suitability of an alternative site for the deployment of the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system.
- US, South Korea begin massive military drill amid North warning Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- Tens of thousands of troops from South Korea and the US have launched a massive military exercise, prompting North Korea to pledge retaliation against what it calls an invasion rehearsal.
- Secretary of the Navy Visits US, ROK Leaders in Korea NNS 22 Aug 2016 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus visited U.S. and Republic of Korea civilian and military leaders during a visit to Seoul, Aug. 18-20.
- S.Korea, U.S. kick off joint annual war game despite DPRK's backlashes People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- South Korean and U.S. forces kicked off their joint annual war game on Monday despite strong backlashes from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- US, South Korea Begin Annual Military Drill Despite Threats from Pyongyang VOA 22 Aug 2016 -- South Korea and the United States have begun their annual joint military exercise under the threat of military retaliation by North Korea.
- DPRK FM Spokesman Lashes at Ulji Freedom Guardian KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry made public the following statement Monday:
- Spokesman for KPA General Staff Clarifies Principled Stand on Nuclear War Drill against DPRK KCNA 22 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet forces started the largest-ever joint military drill Ulji Freedom Guardian on August 22.
- DPRK warns of preemptive strikes as U.S.-South Korea war games kick off People's Daily 22 Aug 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) warned Monday that its military is "fully ready to mount a preemptive retaliatory strike" as South Korea and the Untied States are conducting joint military exercises.
- Seoul Says North Korea May Attempt Assassinations After Top Diplomat Defects Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- North Korea may attempt to perform assassinations and abductions, following the defection of Pyongyang's high ranking diplomat, according to South Korea's Unification Ministry official.
- Seoul Believes N Korea May Carry Out Provocation After Defection of Diplomat Sputnik 21 Aug 2016 -- South Korean government urges all citizens to be on guard for possible provocations after a high-ranking North Korean diplomat defected to the South, according to local media.
- Park Geun Hye Group Accused of Floating Story of Letting North's Abductees Settle in S. Korea KCNA 21 Aug 2016 -- The Park Geun Hye group of traitors in south Korea which had kept the women abductees of the DPRK in custody for over four months despite the strong denunciation and demand for their repatriation at home and abroad recently made public that they let those girls "be free and settle in society".
- South Korean Warmongers Hell-bent on Arms Build-up KCNA 19 Aug 2016 -- The south Korean puppet warmongers are stepping up the arms build-up for preemptive attack on the DPRK with the U.S. backing.
- US, South Korea must take blame for North's new nuclear move People's Daily 19 Aug 2016 -- North Korea's Atomic Energy Institute on Wednesday claimed that it has reprocessed spent nuclear fuel rods removed from a graphite-moderated reactor in a written interview with Japan's Kyodo News.
- North Korea Threatens South Korea Over 'Provocative' War Games Sputnik 19 Aug 2016 -- North Korea has reacted with fury as the US and South Korea conduct their largest ever military drills along the highly volatile border on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea stages largest ever artillery drills near North border Press TV 18 Aug 2016 -- South Korea has launched large-scale artillery drills near the border with North Korea amid heightened tensions between the two neighbors.
- US rebuffs China's anger over THAAD missile system Press TV 17 Aug 2016 -- The United States has once again rebuffed China's anger over the planned deployment of an advanced missile system in South Korea, insisting that the move is aimed at countering the growing missile threats from North Korea.
- Pyongyang raps South Korean president for defending THAAD Press TV 17 Aug 2016 -- North Korea has lambasted the South Korean president's latest anti-Pyongyang speech defending the deployment of an advanced US missile system in her country, saying she is to blame for deteriorating inter-Korean relations.
- South Korea Ready to Consider Alternative Site for US THAAD System Sputnik 17 Aug 2016 -- South Korean authorities are ready to consider an alternative site for the US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system deployment over the protests of Seongju county residents, the country's Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- US Plans to Equip South Korean Warships With THAAD-Style Defense System Sputnik 17 Aug 2016 -- The United States, aside from deploying the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system in South Korea, plans to set up a THAAD-like naval system, equipping Seoul's warships located off the coast of the Korean Peninsula with interceptor missiles by 2020, local media reported Wednesday, citing a military source.
- Pyongyang Calls on Germany to Scrap Taurus Missile Deliveries to South Korea Sputnik 16 Aug 2016 -- North Korea calls on Germany to scrap the planned deliveries of Taurus air-to-ground cruise missiles to South Korea, the North Korean Embassy in Russia said Tuesday.
- US to Provide Aegis Systems for Three More Sejong-Class S. Korean Warships Sputnik 16 Aug 2016 -- The United States will provide Aegis missile defense systems for three additional KDX, or Sejong-class destroyers in the South Korean Navy, and two more Japanese Atako-class destroyers, defense contractor Lockheed Martin said in a press release.
- South Korea's Park defends THAAD deployment despite protests Press TV 15 Aug 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye has defended the deployment of an advanced US missile system in the East Asian nation despite fierce opposition inside and outside the country to the plan.
- S. Korean President Calls on Pyongyang to Stop Nuclear Provocation 'Immediately' Sputnik 15 Aug 2016 -- South Korean President said that North Korea must urgently stop the development of its nuclear program and the saber-rattling moves on the international arena.
- Spokesman for DPRK Foreign Ministry Hits out at Germany's Projected Sale of Missiles to S. Korea KCNA 14 Aug 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA Sunday as regards Germany's projected delivery of attack missiles to south Korea:
- Media: South Korea will pay a price if it does not give up THAAD deployment People's Daily 15 Aug 2016 -- Dissenting voices have been on the rise since Seoul and Washington announced their decision to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.
- Seoul to Increase Number of Hyunmoo Missiles to Counter Pyongyang Nuclear Threat Sputnik 14 Aug 2016 -- South Korea plans to increase the number of ballistic missiles to counter Pyongyang's nuclear and missile threats, according to local media.
- US Supplying $490Mln Worth of Aegis Systems to Japan, S. Korea Navies Sputnik 13 Aug 2016 -- The Department of Defense announced that the US Navy has ordered Aegis systems costing nearly half a billion dollars' for the navies of Japan and South Korea under the Foreign Military Sales program.
- THAAD deployment adds worry to sagging S.Korean economy People's Daily 10 Aug 2016 -- Decision between Seoul and Washington to deploy Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in South Korean soil adds worry to the already sagging economy as the deployment is expected to reduce trade with China, South Korea's largest trading partner.
- S.Korea to deploy 5 reconnaissance satellites by 2022 for DPRK missiles People's Daily 08 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's military plans to deploy five reconnaissance satellites, developed on its indigenous technology, by 2022 as part of its "Kill Chain" strategy to preemptively detect and destroy nuclear and missile threats from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Yonhap news agency reported on Monday.
- News Analysis: S.Korean president perplexed at anti-THAAD lawmakers leaving for China People's Daily 08 Aug 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye appears perplexed at six first-term lawmakers of the main opposition Minju Party who left for China as they are against the deployment of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
- South Korea's reckless decision on THAAD is irresponsible: People's Daily People's Daily 08 Aug 2016 -- As dissenting voices increased over the decision between Seoul and Washington to deploy Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system, the South Korean government and media have been making pale explanations and rebuttals.
- N Korea Instructs Embassies to Use THAAD in South to Pit China Against US Sputnik 08 Aug 2016 -- North Korea's Foreign Ministry allegedly ordered its diplomats in overseas missions to emphasize the threat of US missiles in Korea to China's security in a bid to widen the rift between Beijing, Seoul and Washington, South Korean media reported Monday.
- THAAD in S Korea Not Actually Aimed at Preventing Threat From Pyongyang Sputnik 02 Aug 2016 -- The deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to South Korea would threaten the stability of East Asia, an expert said, adding that China and Russia's concerns about the US missile defense installations in the Korean Peninsula are justified.
- U.S., South Korea, Japan Discuss Recent North Korean Missile Launches AFPS 05 Aug 2016 -- Representatives of the United States, South Korea and Japan conducted a senior-level videoconference yesterday to share information among the three countries regarding the two recent North Korean missile launches, according to a Defense Department statement.
- Seoul May Consider New Site for THAAD Amid Local Residents' Protests Sputnik 05 Aug 2016 -- South Korea may find another location in the southern county of Seongju for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system, according to a presidential spokesman.
- US, South Korea to Boost Joint Maritime Security Ties in Western Pacific Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- South Korean Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Jung Ho-sub said that he agreed with US Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson the importance of alliance, particularly navy-to-navy, to deal with the "threat from the North Korea," as well as the instability that may take place in the South China Sea.
- South Korea Claims Pyongyang Has Plan to Improve Missile Technology Sputnik 04 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Oh Joon says North Korea has a systematic plan to upgrade and refine its missile technology.
- Seoul, Beijing blast Japan's defense paper as Tokyo seeks stronger military role in Asia-Pacific People's Daily 04 Aug 2016 -- South Koreahas joined China in opposing Japan's 2016 defense white paper, a policy document Tokyo is using to justify its efforts to move away from an isolated and pacifistic defense posture to a more active one.
- DPRK slams S. Korean president for justifying THAAD deployment People's Daily 04 Aug 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday slammed South Korean President Park Geun-hye for her remarks on the North's nuclear and missile threats to justify her government's deal with Washington to introduce a missile shield.
- Pyongyang Ballistic Test Proves South Korea Needs THAAD System - S Korea FM Sputnik 03 Aug 2016 -- The test launch of the North Korean missile carried out on Wednesday proves the need for the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system in South Korea, South Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se said.
- DPRK fires 2 ballistic missiles to protest S.Korea's THAAD deployment People's Daily 03 Aug 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday fired two ballistic missiles into east waters in an apparent protest against the deployment in South Korea of Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
- South Korea Denounces Japan's Revived Claim to Liancourt Rocks Islands Sputnik 02 Aug 2016 -- Seoul condemned Tokyo's renewed claim to Liancourt Rocks islands and warned it would decisively react to its sovereignty violation, South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman Cho June-hyuck said Tuesday.
- Washington to Focus on Upgrading Patriot Anti-Missile Systems in South Korea Sputnik 02 Aug 2016 -- Washington will concentrate on upgrading its Patriot PAC-2 air defense systems in South Korea to PAC-3 systems.
- South Korea denounces Japans claims to Dakdo islets Press TV 02 Aug 2016 -- South Korea has warned Japan over its renewed claims to the disputed Liancourt Rocks Islands, vowing a firm response against any attempt to challenge Seoul's "sovereignty" of the islet chain.
- THAAD will destroy regional balance People's Daily 01 Aug 2016 -- Despite the strong opposition of China, the United States and the Republic of Korea have agreed to deploy the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense system in the ROK. Although the US claims THAAD is aimed at countering the "nuclear threat" posed by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea", it is actually targeted at China.
- South Korean Prosecutors Say North Korea Continues Cyber Attacks Against Country Sputnik 01 Aug 2016 -- North Korea is continuing to carry out cyber attacks against South Korean officials and experts, the South Korean Supreme Prosecutors' Office said Monday.
- North Korean Defector Waits for Freedom VOA 01 Aug 2016 -- The fate of an 18-year-old North Korean defector who sought asylum inside South Korea's consulate in Hong Kong last month is still up in the air, although human rights groups hope that China's recent non-cooperative stance with Pyongyang may eventually facilitate his freedom.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list