S.Korea slams DPRK's test-firing of submarine-launched ballistic missile
People's Daily Online
(Xinhua) 14:38, August 24, 2016
SEOUL, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- South Korea on Wednesday slammed the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for its test-firing of a ballistic missile from a submarine off its east coast into the sea.
Seoul's foreign ministry said in a statement that the country strongly denounces the DPRK's firing of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) once again following a series of provocations such as nuclear test and ballistic missile launches, which are in violation of UN Security Council resolutions, in defiance of repeated warnings from the international community.
The ministry urged Pyongyang to immediately stop nuclear and missile developments threatening peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the world, and to dismantle its nuclear program in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner.
The statement came as South Korea's military said the DPRK tested-fired a SLBM earlier in the morning off the eastern coastal town of Sinpo in South Hamgyeong province.
The launch was seen as a success as the DPRK missile flew about 500 km, longer than a flight distance of 300 km which Seoul's military had reportedly regarded as successful.
The South Korean ministry said it will make all-out efforts to place strong and effective sanctions and pressures toward the DPRK along with the international society, vowing to maintain a complete preparedness for the protection of people's lives and safety and thoroughly tackle any DPRK provocations.
The ministry noted that Pyongyang would face harsher sanctions and diplomatic isolation if it pursues only the advancement in nuclear and missile capabilities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|