Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2010 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Projected US-S. Korea Military Exercises Flayed KCNA 29 Jun 2010 -- The United States reportedly agreed with the south Korean puppet forces to soon stage in the waters of the West Sea of Korea their large-scale combined exercises which had been postponed so far.
- S. Korea to Stage Madcap War Exercises KCNA 28 Jun 2010 -- The puppet Ministry of Administration and Security of south Korea is planning to exceptionally stage the intensified 2010 Ulji exercises under the pretext of the "Cheonan" case, according to "Voice of People", an Internet broadcasting service of south Korea, on June 25.
- U.S., South Korea to Delay Transfer of Wartime Control AFPS 28 Jun 2010 -- US and ROK have agreed to delay until December 2015 the transfer of wartime operational control of troops on the Korean peninsula.
- US, South Korea Postpone Transfer of Wartime Force Control VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- President Obama has agreed to a South Korean request to postpone the transfer of operational control during wartime of South Korea.
- KCNA and S. Korean Exercises KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- The south Korean forces staged ground operation exercises with areas of Kyonggi and south Korean Kangwon provinces as operational theatres.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Lee Myung-Bak of the Republic of Korea After Bilateral Meeting, 06/26/10 The White House 26 Jun 2010
- Landing Force to bilaterally train with ROK Marines USMC News 26 Jun 2010 -- Landing Force that participated in Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training 2010 debarked from ship and landed in Korea June 25.
- Legacy of Unresolved Korean Conflict Plagues US Policy RFE/RL 25 Jun 2010 -- The end of the Korean War in 1953 did not end the hostilities between North and South Korea, or with the United States.
- South Korea Marks 60 Years Since Start of Korean War RFE/RL 25 Jun 2010 -- South Korea marks the 60th anniversary of the three-year war with the North.
- KCNA Dismisses "Results of Investigation" as Unscientific KCNA 23 Jun 2010 -- The "results of investigation" into the case of the sunk warship Cheonan are not convincing the international community.
- KCNA and S. Korean Minister of Unification KCNA 23 Jun 2010 -- Hyon In Thaek, minister of Unification of south Korea let loose provocative outbursts about "contingency."
- National Reconciliation Council Issues Open Questionnaire KCNA 23 Jun 2010 -- South Korea letting loose a spate of sheer sophism that it has never negated the north-south joint declaration.
- US-S. Korea Staging War Exercises KCNA 23 Jun 2010 -- The US and S. Koreans are staging war exercises against the DPRK on the ground and in the sea and the air of south Korea.
- S. Korean Forces to Stage Containment Operation KCNA 23 Jun 2010 -- Military authorities of south Korea have planned to stage PSI naval interception and search exercises in waters around Pusan Port and its surroundings in October.
- Years After War, South Korea, United States Examine Command Transfer VOA 23 Jun 2010 -- South Korea's military is very different from the one that needed help after the 1950 surprise attack that began the Korean War.
- North Korea attacks across 38th parallel, 60 years ago Army News 23 Jun 2010 -- Sixty years ago, the Korean War became the first major armed clash between the free world and Communist forces, as the so-called Cold War turned hot.
- Nation Marks Korean War's 60th Anniversary AFPS 23 Jun 2010 -- Sixty years ago this week, North Korean troops stormed across the 38th parallel into South Korea, launching a three-year conflict.
- Korea's Truth and Reconciliation Commission Winds Up Painful Look at Past VOA 23 Jun 2010 -- The world is commemorating the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.
- North Korea's War History is Mirror Opposite World View VOA 23 Jun 2010 -- South Korea and the rest of the world this month are commemorating the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.
- US Army Runs Hotline to Assist Abandoned Families in South Korea VOA 23 Jun 2010 -- Sixty years after the start of the Korean War, the United States keeps more than 28,000 troops in South Korea. While in the country, some soldiers get married or have children.
- KCNA Indicts US-S. Korea for Fabricating "Cheonan" Case KCNA 22 Jun 2010 -- One month since the US and the Lee Myung Bak announced the "results of investigation" into the case of the sunken ROKN warship.
- Errors in Investigation into "Cheonan" Case Admitted KCNA 22 Jun 2010 -- The south Korean civilian-military joint investigation team admitted the wrong data on analysis.
- S. Korea Accused of Their Moves to Mislead Public Opinion KCNA 22 Jun 2010 -- The south Korean authorities brief on June 15 representatives of member nations of the UN Security Council on the "results of investigation."
- S. Korea's Decision to Re-dispatch Troops to Afghanistan Flailed KCNA 22 Jun 2010 -- Lee Myung Bak decided to re-dispatch troops to Afghanistan on June 15 despite the strong protest of the south Korean people.
- UNSC Urged to Properly Know about Truth of "Cheonan" Case KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- South Korea referred the "results of the investigation" into the case of warship "Cheonan" sinking to the UNSC.
- Moves to Revive "Conception of Principal Enemy" KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- South Korea stepping up the moves to revive the "conception of principal enemy."
- S. Korea's Campaign to Suppress Progressive Forces Slammed KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Pusan Police Office together with agents of the National Intelligence Service staged surprise search and seizure operations against the South Side Committee for Implementing the June 15 Joint Declaration.
- Signature Campaign for Peace on Korean Peninsula Launched in S. Korea KCNA 21 Jun 2010 -- The general council of the Christian Presbyterian Church and the Headquarters of the Peace Community Movement of south Korea launched a signature campaign for peace.
- South Korean Christians warn of famine in North RIA Novosti 21 Jun 2010 -- Representatives of S. Korean Christian churches and communities issued a joint address to the government to lift its blockade of the North.
- Russian-built first stage unlikely to cause S.Korean rocket explosion — expert RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2010 -- An explosion of a South Korean rocket last week was not caused by Russian-built first stage of the spacecraft, a deputy head of the Russian Federal Space Agency said.
- Medvedev urges thorough investigation of South Korea corvette sinking RIA Novosti 18 Jun 2010 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev urged a thorough investigation of the sinking of a South Korean corvette Cheonan before taking any action against North Korea, blamed by Seoul for the attack.
- S. Korea Accused of Moves to Revive "Military Alliance" KCNA 17 Jun 2010 -- The Lee Myung Bak group of south Korea begged for jointly taking "retaliatory measures" against the DPRK at the "talks of defense ministers" of the U.S., Japan and south Korea in Singapore recently.
- US, Seoul Cooperating on Warship Sinking Response VOA 17 Jun 2010 -- As South Korea pushes the United Nations Security Council to censure North Korea, a senior American diplomat is reiterating Washington's full cooperation with Seoul.
- Press Conference on Situation in Korean Peninsula United Nations 15 Jun 2010
- Pyongyang says S.Korea fabricated results of Cheonan sinking investigation RIA Novosti 15 Jun 2010 -- North Korea proposed at a UN Security Council session sending its own group of experts to South Korea to inquire in Seoul's investigation concerning the sinking of the Cheonan warship.
- S. Korea-US-Japan "Cooperation" in Moves for War under Fire KCNA 14 Jun 2010 -- The south Korean puppet defence chief was reported to have cried for "taking a united action" and slapping "independent sanctions" and the like as regards the case of the warship sinking that had been brought up for discussion at the UN Security Council at the "talks" held with their American and Japanese counterparts in Singapore on June 5. This was a very dangerous move to put a sort of "pressure" on the DPRK, backed by outsiders, and drive the situation to the brink of a war.
- S. Korean Warmongers Mull Provocative War Exercises KCNA 13 Jun 2010 -- The first fleet of the south Korean puppet navy is mulling staging the five day-long anti-submarine mobile exercises in coordinated operations with the maritime police in the East Sea of Korea from June 14, according to south Korean MBC.
- KPA General Staff Issues Crucial Declaration KCNA 12 Jun 2010 -- The General Staff of the Korean People's Army on Saturday issued the following crucial declaration:
- North Korea Threatens South VOA 12 Jun 2010 -- North Korea's military has threatened to destroy propaganda facilities such as loudspeakers South Korea has placed along their border.
- Audit Critical of S. Korean Military's Reaction to Warship Sinking VOA 11 Jun 2010 -- Government auditors in South Korea say country's military chief was absent from duty the night of attack on a naval ship.
- South Korean rocket explodes shortly after take-off RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2010 -- A South Korean rocket, launched from the Naro space center, exploded two minutes after take-off, Yonhap news agency said.
- South Korea loses contact with KSLV-1 rocket RIA Novosti 10 Jun 2010 -- The terrestrial services of the South Korean space center lost contact with their KSLV-1 rocket eight minutes after its launch on Thursday, Yonhap news agency said
- S. Korean General Arrested for Leaking Battle Plans VOA 10 Jun 2010 -- South Korea says one of its generals is under arrest. News media report his detention is part of a widening spy investigation that has some officials thinking North Korea may have obtained part of a critical U.S.-South Korean battle plan.
- Pyongyang warns UN against accepting Seoul's view of ship sinking RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- North Korea warned of "serious consequences" if the international community accepts ROK version of the Cheonan sinking.
- Russia ready for unbiased discussions on Korean ship sinking RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- Russia is ready to hold impartial consultations at the UN on the sinking of South Korea's Cheonan warship.
- Russian Defense Ministry to report on Cheonan sinking in July RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- The Russian Defense Ministry will release a report on the sinking of a South Korean vessel in July.
- South Korea delays rocket launch RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- South Korea postponed Wednesday's planned launch of its KSLV-1 rocket due to technical problems
- Second launch of South Korea's KSLV-1 rocket scheduled for Wednesday RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2010 -- Russia's Khrunichev space center: Second launch of the rocket is scheduled for Wednesday.
- Lee Myung Bak Accused of Referring "Cheonan" Case to UNSC KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- The south Koreans finally referred the case of its warship sinking to the UN Security Council on June 5.
- Russian experts to probe Cheonan issue at home RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- ROK Defense Ministry has given materials on the sinking of the Cheonan warship to Russian experts for further investigations.
- Russian experts to report Cheonan sinking conclusions soon RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Conclusions of Russian experts on the sinking of Cheonan will be reported to the Defense Ministry in 2 to 3 days.
- S. Korea Plans to Stage Exercise KCNA 08 Jun 2010 -- The Second Corps of the South Korean army announced that it would stage military exercises for ground cooperation in the areas of Chunchon and Hwachon.
- Threats From North Korea Reveal Generation Gap in South Korea VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Despite threatening words from North Korea, many South Koreans are unconcerned.
- S. Korea Can Never Evade Responsibility for Hideous Crime KCNA 07 Jun 2010 -- South Korea making efforts to escape criticism of it mounting as the truth about the case of warship sinking being gradually brought to light.
- Russian experts finish look at probe of S. Korean warship sinking RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2010 -- Group of Russian experts left Seoul after completing assessment of the investigation into sinking of a ROKN warship.
- KCNA and Projected ROK War Maneuvers KCNA 07 Jun 2010 -- The United States and the south Koreans are contemplating staging the largest-ever combined anti-submarine exercises in the waters of the West Sea.
- Lee Myung Bak Condemned for Referring "Cheonan" to UN KCNA 06 Jun 2010 -- South Korea referred the case of sinking of warship "Cheonan" to the UN on June 5.
- Lee Myung Bak Group's Mendicant Diplomacy Slammed KCNA 06 Jun 2010 -- Lee Myung Bak busy with the diplomacy over warship Cheonan.
- U.S., Japan, South Korea Express Solidarity AFPS 05 Jun 2010 -- The top defense officials of the United States, Japan and South Korea today pledged their nations’ continued solidarity in the aftermath of North Korea’s sinking of the freighter Cheonan on March 26 that killed 46 South Korean sailors.
- Newspapers on Results of "Local Elections" KCNA 05 Jun 2010 -- It was a due outcome that the democratic forces in south Korea won a landslide victory in the elections to local self-governing bodies.
- Russian and Indonesian Media on Truth about "Cheonan" KCNA 05 Jun 2010 -- Russian internet news and an Indonesian newspaper carried articles on the truth about the case of warship "Cheonan's" sinking.
- Republic of Korea requests Security Council action on sinking of naval vessel UN News Centre 04 Jun 2010 -- The Republic of Korea today formally requested the Security Council to take up the matter of the sinking of one of its naval ships, alleged by the country to have been carried out by neighbouring Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DRPK).
- South Korea Urges Tough Action Against North VOA 04 Jun 2010 -- While attending a security conference Friday in Singapore, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak once again called on the international community to take tough action against North Korea. Relations between the Koreas have deteriorated to a new low following a torpedo attack sank a South Korean warship in March, killing 46 sailors.
- Joint Anti-Submarine Maneuver Kicked off in S. Korea KCNA 03 Jun 2010 -- The U.S. imperialists and the south Korean puppet bellicose forces announced they would kick off a joint anti-submarine maneuver in waters of the West Sea of Korea on June 8, according to Yonhap News of south Korea.
- Seoul refers Pyongyang to UN Security Council over ship sinking RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2010 -- South Korea appealed to the United Nations Security Council on Friday over North Korea's alleged attack on the Cheonan warship, Yonhap news agency said, citing South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
- S.Korea hopes for Russian backing on Cheonan issue at UN RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2010 -- Seoul is counting on Russia's support for a UN resolution on North Korea over the sinking of the Cheonan warship, South Korea's envoy to Moscow said on Friday.
- South Korea Refers North Korea to UN Security Council VOA 04 Jun 2010 -- South Korea has referred North Korea to the United Nations Security Council over the sinking of a South Korean warship that Seoul says was attacked by a North Korean submarine.
- Pentagon Denies Plan to Send Carrier to South Korean Exercise VOA 03 Jun 2010 -- The Pentagon is denying reports from Seoul there will be a joint U.S.-South Korean naval exercise as early as next week in response to the conclusion of an international investigation that North Korea sank a South Korean ship in March. Officials also deny that there is a plan for a U.S. aircraft carrier to be involved in any exercises off the Korean coast.
- Obama Reaffirms Alliance With South Korea AFPS 03 Jun 2010 -- South Korea has the full support of the United States as it confronts North Korea’s sinking of its naval ship Cheonan, and the 60-year U.S. alliance with the republic is as strong as ever, President Barack Obama said last night.
- Gates to Reassure South Korea at Security Summit AFPS 03 Jun 2010 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said today he’ll provide assurances during the “Shangri-La Dialogue” Asia security summit of the U.S. commitment to help South Korea and other Pacific nations deal with continued provocation from North Korea.
- Russian experts inspect sunken South Korean warship RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2010 -- Russian military experts have inspected the wreckage of a South Korean warship that sank in the Yellow Sea in March following an alleged attack by North Korea, a South Korean military official said on Thursday.
- Seoul delays request for UN resolution on North Korea RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2010 -- Seoul has not decided yet when to send an official request for a UN resolution in response to the alleged sinking of a South Korean warship by a North Korean submarine, a deputy foreign minister said.
- Russia, South Korea to discuss Cheonan issue Thursday RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2010 -- Talks between the Russia and South Korean deputy foreign ministers on the sinking of the South Korean Cheovan corvette will be held in Moscow on Thursday, a source at the Russian Foreign Ministry's Asia department said.
- S. Korea to discuss in Moscow taking Cheonan issue to UN RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2010 -- Seoul is seeking an agreement from Russia to take the Cheonan issue to the UN Security Council, a high-ranking diplomat in Seoul said prior to leaving for talks in Moscow.
- U.S., S.Korea to hold large-scale military drills in Yellow Sea RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2010 -- The U.S. and South Korea will hold large-scale naval exercises in the Yellow Sea next week to send a "strong signal" to Pyongyang, the Yonhap news agency said, quoting a South Korean defense official.
- S. Korea diplomat to visit Russia to discuss Cheonan crisis RIA Novosti 01 Jun 2010 -- A senior South Korean diplomat will arrive in Moscow on Wednesday to discuss rising tensions on the Korean peninsula following the sinking of the Cheonan corvette in the Yellow Sea, the South Korean Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list