Pyongyang warns UN against accepting Seoul's view of ship sinking
16:33 09/06/2010 MOSCOW, June 9 (RIA Novosti) - North Korea warned the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday of "serious consequences" if the international community accepts the South Korean version of the Cheonan sinking.
Sin Son-Ho, Pyongyang's envoy to the UN, sent a message of warning to the Security Council chairman, Mexican Ambassador Claude Heller, late on Tuesday, according to the official Korean Central News Agency.
The message said that "no one would dare imagine how serious its consequences would be with regard to the peace and security on the Korean Peninsula" should the Security Council accept Seoul's request to consider the issue.
The 1,200-ton Cheonan warship sank near the disputed Northern Limit Line in the Yellow Sea on March 26, causing the loss of 46 lives.
Although initial comments from South Korean naval and intelligence chiefs ruled out foul play, after an investigation involving U.S. and South Korean experts Seoul accused North Korea of firing a torpedo from a submarine at the vessel.
Pyongyang has denied the allegations and claims the incident was "orchestrated" by the United States in order to "hype the threat from North Korea" ahead of "Congress mid-term elections slated for the coming November."
The Russian Defense Ministry said earlier in day that it would release a report on the Cheonan sinking in July as a group of Russian experts returned home after assessing the international probe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|