Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2012 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Afghan FM Presses Pakistan to Free More Taliban Detainees VOA 30 Nov 2012 -- Afghanistan's foreign minister has pressed Pakistan to free more Taliban detainees to help coax the insurgent group into peace talks aimed at ending the fighting in Afghanistan.
- Suicide Bombing Wounds Top Pakistani Militant VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomber attacked a prominent militant commander in northwest Pakistan Thursday, wounding him and killing at least six people.
- Pakistan tests nuclear capable ballistic missile IRNA 28 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan Wednesday successfully conducted the launch of a medium-range nuclear-capable missile, the military said.
- Pakistan offers reward for info on Taliban spokesman IRNA 28 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik has announced a reward for anyone who provides information about the Taliban spokesman.
- Pakistan Test Fires Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile RFE/RL 28 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan's military says it has successfully test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- Pakistan Suspends Cell Phone Services RIA Novosti 24 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan will suspend mobile phone networks in big cities to prevent attacks against Shia Muslims during key commemorations this weekend, British media reported on Friday.
- PAKISTAN: Inflation hits food security IRIN 22 Nov 2012 -- Despite efforts by the Pakistani government and international organizations, inflation, declining income, natural disasters and stagnating domestic productivity are hampering attempts to achieve food security for the country's 180 million citizens.
- Dozens Killed In Pakistan Bombings; Taliban Claim Responsibility RFE/RL 22 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomb attack on a Shi'ite procession in Rawalpindi, near Pakistan's capital, has killed 23 people and wounded 60 others.
- India Executes Mumbai Attack Gunman VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- India has executed the sole surviving Pakistani gunman who participated in the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.
- India Hangs Surviving Militant From Mumbai Attack RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- India has hanged the only militant to have survived the 2008 attack on Mumbai.
- Deadly Bomb Attack Hits Quetta RFE/RL 21 Nov 2012 -- A bomb attack has killed five people, including at least three soldiers, in Quetta, the capital of Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan Province.
- Pakistani Military Chief Talks About Peace Process With Afghan Leader RFE/RL 20 Nov 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Pakistani military chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani have met in Kabul to discuss the Afghan peace process.
- Pakistan Court Dismisses Blasphemy Case Against Christian Girl RFE/RL 20 Nov 2012 -- A Pakistani court has ended a blasphemy case, which was condemned around the world, against a Christian girl.
- Former Leader Of Pakistan's Largest Islamic Party Escapes Suicide Attack RFE/RL 19 Nov 2012 -- The former leader of Pakistan's largest Islamic party has escaped unhurt after a suicide bomb attack in the Mohmand tribal region.
- Pakistan Frees Nine Taliban Leaders RIA Novosti 17 Nov 2012 -- The Pakistani government has released nine leading members of the radical Islamist Taliban group at the request of the government of Afghanistan and the Afghan High Peace Council, Pajhwok news agency reported on Saturday.
- McRaven: No Evidence Pakistan Knew bin Laden's Location AFPS 15 Nov 2012 -- The commander of U.S. Special Operations Command said yesterday that a post-raid assessment concluded there is no evidence that the Pakistani government knew the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden.
- Oil supply to NATO to resume before December: Report IRNA 15 Nov 2012 -- Oil supply for the US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan is expected to resume through Pakistan's land routes by the end of this month following a year-long break and a test run conducted last week, a media report said on Thursday.
- Pakistan agrees to release Afghan Taliban prisoners: Official IRNA 15 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan has agreed to release Afghan Taliban prisoners, a member of an Afghan peace delegation said in Islamabad on Thursday after concluding talks with Pakistani leaders.
- Pakistani Supreme Court withdraws contempt notice against PM IRNA 14 Nov 2012 -- The Supreme Court of Pakistan on Wednesday withdrew the contempt notice against Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, local media reported.
- Afghan Peace Envoy Visits Pakistan For High-Level Talks RFE/RL 12 Nov 2012 -- Peace envoy Salahuddin Rabbani, who chairs Afghanistan's so-called High Peace Council, has kicked off meetings in neighboring Pakistan after suggesting that 'common efforts' could help foster reconciliation efforts in his country.
- In Pakistan, More Arrests In Marriage Case Involving 6-Year-Old Girl RFE/RL 09 Nov 2012 -- Police in Pakistan’s Swat Valley have arrested three members of a "jirga" tribal assembly who allegedly ordered that a 6-year-old girl be married to resolve a dispute among rival families.
- Suicide attack kills three Pakistani paramilitary soldiers IRNA 08 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into the headquarters of the paramilitary forces in the Pakistani port city of Karachi, killing three security officials.
- Afghan shelling injures two people in Pakistan IRNA 08 Nov 2012 -- Pakistani officials say that rockets fired from Afghanistan injured two persons in ountry’s North Waziristan tribal region.
- Suicide Truck Bomb Kills Two Pakistani Rangers RFE/RL 08 Nov 2012 -- A suicide truck bomber has attacked Pakistani paramilitary security forces in a suburb of Pakistanís largest city, Karachi.
- Pakistani Family Appeals To Save 6-Year-Old Girl From Marriage Order RFE/RL 08 Nov 2012 -- In the remote, mountainous areas of Pakistan's northwest, local feuds are commonly resolved in customary fashion rather than through common law.
- Taliban Suicide Bomber Kills 7 In Pakistan, Including Senior Police Officer IRNA 07 Nov 2012 -- A senior police investigator, at least three other police officers, and two civilians have been killed by a suicide bomber.
- Suicide Bomber Targets Pakistan Market VOA 07 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomber has attacked a senior police officer in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar, killing at least five people.
- Tensions Between Pakistani Judiciary, Military Boil Over RFE/RL 06 Nov 2012 -- With every step Pakistan's judiciary takes toward defining its role, it further encroaches on the powerful military's turf.
- Gunmen kill MWM leader in Pakistan Karachi in target attack IRNA 06 Nov 2012 -- Unidentified gunmen shot dead a Shiite activist and another man in the Pakistani port city of Karachi.
- Pakistani Army Chief Issues Warning In Rare Statement RFE/RL 05 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan's powerful army chief has issued a rare public statement warning against efforts to undermine the country's military.
- Pakistan, Turkish navies to hold joint exercises on Nov 5-14 IRNA 04 Nov 2012 -- Pakistan and Turkey will hold 10-day joint naval exercises in Turkey from November 5 to 14.
- Target killings claim 10 lives in Pakistan IRNA 04 Nov 2012 -- At least 10 people were killed in target attacks in different areas of Pakistan.
- Head of Anti-Taliban Group Killed in Pakistan VOA 03 Nov 2012 -- Pakistani police say the head of an anti-Taliban committee has been killed by a suicide blast in the country's northwest.
- Bombing Kills Six In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- A suicide bomber has killed the head of a local peace committee in northwestern Pakistan and at least five others.
- Pakistan 'Blasphemy' Teacher In Hiding RFE/RL 03 Nov 2012 -- A Pakistani teacher at the center of a blasphemy dispute has been forced into hiding after a furious mob stormed a girls' high school in the eastern city of Lahore.
- Many Killed In South Pakistan Attack RFE/RL 02 Nov 2012 -- At least 18 people were killed in a blast caused by a drive-by shooting in southern Pakistan's Baluchistan Province on November 2.
- Malala's Schoolmate Says Taliban Bullet Has Only Strengthened Her Resolve RFE/RL 01 Nov 2012 -- Recovered after being struck by a Taliban bullet, 16-year-old Kainat Ahmad is now focused on two things.
- Pakistan's Balochistan opposition leader arrested IRNA 01 Nov 2012 -- Opposition Leader in Balochistan Assembly Yar Muhammad Rind has been arrested from courtroom on the orders of the Supreme Court.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list