Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2013 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Two bombs targeting mosques kill 9, injure 11 in Baghdad PressTV 31 Jul 2013 -- Bombs targeting two mosques in Iraq have killed at least nine people and injured eleven others.
- Al-Qaeda claims responsibility for Iraq deadly bomb attacks PressTV 30 Jul 2013 -- An al-Qaeda affiliated group in Iraq has claimed responsibility for a series of bombings that killed dozens of people in the Arab country.
- UN chief urges leaders to pull Iraq 'back from the brink' UN News Centre 29 Jul 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban voiced alarm at the deterioration of the security situation in Iraq.
- Car bombings kill more across Iraq - dozens killed, over 200 injured PressTV 29 Jul 2013 -- Dozens of people have been killed and over 200 others wounded in a series of bomb attacks across Iraq.
- UN panel pays out over $1 billion in reparations for Iraq's invasion of Kuwait UN News Centre 25 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC), which settles the damage claims of those who suffered losses due to Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait, today made $1.07 billion available to the Government of Kuwait.
- Analysis: The Syrian urban refugee problem in northern Iraq IRIN 24 Jul 2013 -- On an empty plot of land in northern Iraq next to a beauty salon and opposite a hotel on Erbil's busy Shoresh Street, Mohammed Hassan sits on a patch of crumpled purple carpet with his wife and their two-year-old son.
- Amid upsurge of violence in Iraq, Security Council extends UN mission for another year UN News Centre 24 Jul 2013 -- The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) until 31 July 2014 so it can continue to advise and support the country, which has been hit by the worst violence in years, to progress on the path to stability and development.
- Coordinated Attacks on Iraqi Prisons Free Hundreds VOA 22 Jul 2013 -- Iraqi militants using suicide bombers and mortar rounds staged coordinated attacks on two prisons, possibly freeing hundreds of prisoners including senior terrorist leaders.
- At Least 46 Killed, Over 150 Wounded in Baghdad Blasts RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2013 -- At least 46 people were killed and over 150 wounded after a series of blasts that ripped through commercial streets of Baghdad on Saturday late night, Al Jazeera reported.
- Outgoing UN envoy to Iraq strongly condemns latest wave of deadly attacks UN News Centre 21 Jul 2013 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq has strongly condemned a series of recent attacks and appealed to all parties to work together toward peace, in his final message to the people of the country in which he has served since 2011.
- Ex-MI6 chief threatens to expose secrets of Iraq war Iran Press TV 21 Jul 2013 -- Former head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove has threatened to expose secrets of Iraq war if he faces censure from the Chilcot inquiry into British involvement in the Iraq war.
- Iraq in 'crucial phase' amid rising sectarian violence, UN envoy tells Security Council UN News Centre 16 Jul 2013 -- Iraq's transition towards democracy and prosperity is in a crucial phase, the top United Nations official in the country told the Security Council today, warning today that with violence spiking, perpetrators are taking advantage of the instability caused by the ongoing political stalemate and the Syrian crisis.
- No weapons found on Iran-Syria flights: Iraq Iran Press TV 13 Jul 2013 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari says Baghdad has not found any military equipment on Syria-bound Iranian flights crossing through the country's airspace.
- Iraq 'Can't Stop' Iran Arms Transfer To Syria RFE/RL 13 Jul 2013 -- Iraq's foreign minister has told a pan-Arab newspaper that his country is unable to stop neighboring Iran from sending weapons to Syria through its airspace.
- Readout of the Vice President’s Phone Call with Iraqi Council of Representatives Speaker Osama Nujayfi The White House 12 Jul 2013
- Dead, Wounded In Kirkuk Cafe Blast RFE/RL 12 Jul 2013 -- Officials in Iraq say at least 18 people have been killed and upward of 25 others wounded in an explosion in the northern town of Kirkuk.
- Car bomb blast outside Shia mosque kills 10 in northern Iraq PressTV 12 Jul 2013 -- At least 10 people have been killed after a car bomb exploded outside a Shia mosque in northern Iraq.
- Violence In Iraq Claims 40 Lives RFE/RL 12 Jul 2013 -- Violence across Iraq on July 11 claimed at least 40 lives.
- Readout of the Vice President’s Phone Calls with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and Kurdish Regional Government President Masoud Barzani The White House 11 Jul 2013
- 39 die as carnage in Iraq continues PressTV 11 Jul 2013 -- A wave of attacks in Iraq, mostly targeting security forces and Shia Muslims, has killed at least 39 people and injured dozens more, according to Iraqi security and hospital sources.
- More Than 20 Dead In Iraq Attacks RFE/RL 11 Jul 2013 -- Separate attacks on security personnel guarding an oil pipeline and on Shi'ite mourners have killed more than 20 people in Iraq.
- 15 people die in another day of carnage in Iraq PressTV 08 Jul 2013 -- At least 15 people have been killed and many more injured in a wave of violence, including car bomb attacks and shooting incidents across Iraq.
- Iraq: UN envoy welcomes Kurdish regional leader's Baghdad visit UN News Centre 07 Jul 2013 -- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq has welcomed visit to Baghdad of Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani.
- Leader of Kurdistan Regional Government visits Baghdad PressTV 07 Jul 2013 -- Leader of Iraq’s Kurdistan Regional Government Massoud Barzani has visited the Iraqi capital for the first time in two years.
- Bomb attacks in Iraq leave eight people dead PressTV 05 Jul 2013 -- At least eight people have been killed and many others wounded in two bomb attacks in Iraq.
- Attacks kill 5, injure 20 in Iraq PressTV 04 Jul 2013 -- At least 5 people have been killed and 20 others injured in separate attacks in Iraq.
- UN envoy tells Iraq authorities 'this carnage must stop' UN News Centre 03 Jul 2013 -- The top United Nations official in Iraq condemned in the strongest terms a wave of deadly attacks.
- 56 die: Iraq’s days of carnage drag on PressTV 03 Jul 2013 -- A wave of attacks in Iraq, mostly targeting Shia Muslims, has killed 56 people and injured dozens more.
- Over 30 people die in another day of carnage in Iraq PressTV 02 Jul 2013 -- At least 33 people have been killed and dozens of others injured in two bomb attacks in Iraq.
- At Least 38 Dead as Iraqi Violence Surges VOA 01 Jul 2013 -- Three attacks north of the Iraqi capital have left at least 38 people dead, including at least 22 mourners at a Shi'ite funeral service for an Iraqi soldier.
- Violence In Iraq Claims 761 Lives In June RFE/RL 01 Jul 2013 -- The United Nations says the number of Iraqis killed across the country reached 761 last month.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list