Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 31 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- U.S. Will Maintain Ties, Presence in Persian Gulf AFPS 31 Oct 2011 -- The United States will maintain a forward-deployed presence in the Persian Gulf region, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the 2011 Annual Conference on U.S.-Turkey Relations US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2011
- Clinton Highlights Turkey's Growing Economic Leadership VOA 31 Oct 2011 -- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton emphasized Turkey's growing role in the Middle East and beyond in remarks.
- Study Finds No Evidence of Health Problems From Burn Pits AFPS 31 Oct 2011 -- An Institute of Medicine study released today found no evidence between exposure to burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan and long-term health problems.
- U.S. plans to build up military presence in Persian Gulf after Iraq exit RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2011 -- The U.S. administration plans to build up the American military presence in the Persian Gulf after it withdraws the remaining troops from Iraq by the end of this year, The New York Times reported on Sunday, referring to diplomatic sources.
- Report: US Plans Post-Iraq Buildup in Gulf VOA 30 Oct 2011 -- The New York Times newspaper reports the United States is negotiating with Kuwait to allow American combat troops to be based in the Persian Gulf area after completing the announced withdrawal from Iraq by the end of this year.
- Panetta's comments on Iraq indicative of US desparation: Vahidi IRNA 30 Oct 2011 -- Minister of Defense Ahmad Vahidi said Sunday that the recent statements made by US Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta on Iraq was an effort to cover Washington’s desperation and its failure in that country.
- Supreme Leader lauds resistance of Iraqi nation to US pressures IRNA 30 Oct 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday lauded resistance of all Iraqi ethnic groups to US pressures.
- Larijani: Iran backs democratic process in Iraq IRNA 30 Oct 2011 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that Iran supports the democratic process in Iraq.
- Iraqi Min: Mujahedin-e Khalq file to end this year IRNA 30 Oct 2011 -- Iraqi Minister for Human Rights Mohammed al-Sudaney announced that his government has decided to close the file of Ashraf Camp of Mujahedin-e Khalgh Organization (MKO) till the end of this year.
- President: Iran pays heed to unity of Iraqi groups IRNA 30 Oct 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad underscored the strengthening and preservation of unity among different Iraqi groups in line with the progress and stabilizing security in Iraq.
- Face of Defense: Convoys Truck Equipment Out of Iraq AFPS 28 Oct 2011 -- The number of convoys leaving Iraq is growing each day as Operation New Dawn nears the end of its mission.
- Iraqi Kurds call for compromise in oil dispute with Baghdad RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2011 -- Iraq's central government must give its semi-autonomous northern Kurdish enclave greater access to national oil revenues to secure the country's political stability and economic prosperity, a leading Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) official said on Friday.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- UN panel approves over $1 billion for victims of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait UN News Centre 27 Oct 2011 -- Over $1 billion was disbursed today to eight successful claimants by the United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC), which settles the damage claims of those who suffered losses because of Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 26 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Panetta Warns Iran Not to Interfere in Iraq VOA 26 Oct 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta is warning Iran not to take advantage of the pending U.S. troop pullout from Iraq to stir up trouble there.
- "Dagger" Brigade cases colors after yearlong deployment to Iraq Army News 26 Oct 2011 -- The 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, United States Division - Center cased their unit colors Oct. 25 at a ceremony at Camp Liberty, Iraq.
- Iraq Car Bombs Kill at Least 5 VOA 26 Oct 2011 -- Iraqi officials say two car bombs in northern Iraq have killed at least five people and wounded 22 others.
- Military Post Offices in Iraq to Close Nov. 17 AFPS 26 Oct 2011 -- The US Postal Service will stop accepting mail addressed to military post offices in Iraq starting Nov. 17, Defense Department officials said.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- U.S., Iraq Move Toward Normal Military Relations AFPS 24 Oct 2011 -- U.S. and Iraqi officials are working toward the kind of standard military-to-military relations that the United States has with many other countries around the world, a Pentagon spokesman said today.
- Chinook crews fly 'All Night Long' Army News 25 Oct 2011 -- Chinook helicopters with B Company, 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion, flew more than 1,100 hours moving personnel and cargo last month around Iraq.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 24 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Maliki: Immunity Key Issue in US Withdrawal VOA 22 Oct 2011 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki says his country's refusal to grant immunity from prosecution to U.S. troops led to President Barack Obama's decision to withdraw the remainder of American forces by the end of the year. Some in Iraq say they worry about continued fragile security, while many others say that nearly nine years after the U.S.-led invasion, it's past time the Americans go home.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Remarks by the President on Ending the War in Iraq The White House 21 Oct 2011
- Obama: All U.S. Troops Out of Iraq by Year’s End AFPS 21 Oct 2011 -- All U.S. service members will leave Iraq by the end of the year, President Barack Obama announced today.
- Statement by Secretary Panetta on Iraq DoD 21 Oct 2011
- Secretary Notes 'Responsible End' to Iraq Mission AFPS 21 Oct 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said President Barack Obama's announcement today that all U.S. troops would leave Iraq by year's end was 'a real turning point from the last 10 years of war.'
- Obama Announces End Of Iraq War, Full Troop Withdrawal By Year-End RFE/RL 21 Oct 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has declared an end to the U.S. war in Iraq.
- Obama: All US Troops to Leave Iraq by Year's End VOA 21 Oct 2011 -- President Barack Obama has announced that all U.S. troops will be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of the year.
- U.S. to withdraw all troops from Iraq by year-end – Obama RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2011 -- All American troops will be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of December 2011, U.S. President Barack Obama said.
- US enriched uranium weapons caused Fallujah cancer, study finds IRNA 21 Oct 2011 -- The cause of congenital anomaly and cancer in Fallujah, Iraq, has been identified as Uranium from US weapons systems.
- Operation Fluffy Pillow supports return of 416th Army News 21 Oct 2011 -- Single Soldiers assigned to the 416th Transportation Company arrived home from their deployment to Kuwait in support of Operation New Dawn.
- Turkey, Iran to Cooperate Against Kurdish Rebels VOA 21 Oct 2011 -- The Turkish military is pressing ahead with its air and ground offensive against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, as Ankara sought support from neighboring Iran in its fight against the rebels.
- Turkish Warplanes Bomb Rebel Bases In Iraq, Ankara Seeks Iranian Support RFE/RL 21 Oct 2011 -- Turkish jets continued bombing Kurdish rebel bases in northern Iraq overnight on October 20-21, as Ankara sought backing from Iran in its campaign against the insurgents.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Turkey Crosses into Northern Iraq in Offensive Against Kurdish Rebels VOA 20 Oct 2011 -- Turkey has widened its military incursion into neighboring northern Iraq.
- Iraq Pledges To Cooperate With Turkey On Security RFE/RL 20 Oct 2011 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry has condemned a Kurdish militant assault near its border that killed 24 Turkish troops.
- Turkish army launches incursion into northern Iraq RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2011 -- The Turkish army has launched a major operation in northern Iraq in response to attacks by Kurdish rebels.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- U.S., NATO Condemn Attacks in Turkey AFPS 19 Oct 2011 -- President Barack Obama was joined by NATO in denouncing the early morning terrorist attacks against various Turkish outposts and police stations along the Iraqi border.
- Turkey: Ban voices concern after Kurdish elements launch deadly attacks UN News Centre 19 Oct 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed concern over the reported killing of at least 26 Turkish soldiers by Kurdish elements.
- Turkey Bombs Kurdish Rebels in Iraq After Deadly Attack VOA 19 Oct 2011 -- Turkey has launched a military operation against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, hours after the militants killed at least 24 soldiers and wounded 18 in attacks in Turkey.
- Prime Minister: Turkey In 'Hot Pursuit' Of Kurdish Rebels RFE/RL 19 Oct 2011 -- Turkish PM Erdogan: Turkey in "hot pursuit" after Kurdish militants killed more than two dozen soldiers in attacks in the southeast, near the border with Iraq.
- Turkey says Kurds kill 24 soldiers, retaliatory offensive underway IRNA 19 Oct 2011 -- Turkey said that Kurdish rebels killed 24 soldiers and wounded 18 others in multiple attacks along the border, prompting retaliatory attacks in Iraq.
- Kurdish Rebels Launch Major Attack Near Iraqi Border VOA 19 Oct 2011 -- The Kurdish rebel group, PKK, has inflicted one of most deadly attacks on the Turkish armed forces in recent years.
- Iraq battalion cases colors, marches into history Army News 19 Oct 2011 -- The 402nd Army Field Support Battalion-Iraq cased its colors in an inactivation and transfer of authority ceremony here Oct. 5.
- Units in Iraq pick up the pace to turn in property Army News 19 Oct 2011 -- At the Victory Base Complex in Iraq, a place that is beginning to feel empty, there is one place that is filling up fast, the RPAT yard at Camp Liberty.
- Iraqi Official Urges U.S. To Return Archives RFE/RL 19 Oct 2011 -- An Iraqi official has called on Washington to return national archives that were transferred to the United States after the 2003 invasion of the country.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 17 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Talks Continue On Post-2011 Troop Presence in Iraq AFPS 17 Oct 2011 -- Discussions with the Iraqi government about a U.S. troop presence there after Dec. 31 continue, with no decisions yet made, senior defense officials said.
- U.S. Forces in Iraq Prepare for Transition AFPS 17 Oct 2011 -- The military is using an old camping adage as U.S. Forces Iraq continues to move service members out of Iraq and transfer control to the Iraqi government: “Leave the site in better shape than you found it.”
- Adder welcomes redeployment convoy Army News 17 Oct 2011 -- The Soldiers who run the convoy support center at Contingency Operating Base Adder, Iraq, keep busy with convoys running in and out throughout each day.
- 330th Movement Control Battalion Facilitates 1-8 CAV Repositioning Army News 17 Oct 2011 -- 1-8th Cavalry traveled through Khabari Border Crossing on Oct. 9, 2011, in order to reposition the unit to Camp Buehring, Kuwait, for the remainder of its deployment.
- Iraqi Forces create long range refueling capabilities to enable future operations Army News 17 Oct 2011 -- Massive convoy of Iraqi Soldiers and Paratroopers was aimed at building a forward area refueling point for aircraft to extend Iraqi Security Forces' reach to the borders of Iraq.
- Iraqi official says Camp inhabitants seek refugee status from Europe IRNA 17 Oct 2011 -- Chief of Iraqi foreign policy commission Sheikh Hammudi: Inhabitants of Ashraf camp sought refugee status from Europe and Australia.
- U.S.: No Decision Yet On Future Troop Presence In Iraq RFE/RL 16 Oct 2011 -- The Obama administration has denied a news report that it had made a final decision to pull almost all U.S. troops out of Iraq by a year-end withdrawal deadline.
- Last Marine team of Operation New Dawn leaves Iraq Army News 15 Oct 2011 -- Marines assigned to the Iraqi Marine Training Team 03 completed their mission and made history Oct. 14, as the last Marine team of Operation New Dawn to leave the country.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 14 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Buchanan via Teleconference from Iraq DoD 12 Oct 2011 -- Presenter: Director of Strategic Communication (J9) and Official Spokesman for U.S. Forces-Iraq Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan
- Iraq Drawdown Continues as Partnership Takes Shape AFPS 12 Oct 2011 -- With 100,000 U.S. forces already gone from from Iraq since January 2009 and more to follow, the Defense Department is working to ensure a successful transition to a State Department-led U.S. presence there, senior DOD officials told Congress today.
- U.S. Forces Have Met All Obligations in Iraq, General Says AFPS 12 Oct 2011 -- U.S. forces are 'completely on track' to make a total military withdrawal from Iraq by the end of the year, even while U.S. and Iraqi officials discuss the possibility of some staying longer, U.S. Forces Iraq's spokesman and director of strategic effects said today.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Officials Consider Extension Options for US Troops VOA 10 Oct 2011 -- Senior Iraqi officials say they are considering several options for allowing U.S. troops to remain in the country beyond the end of the year.
- U.S. officials redraw Iraq troops training plan RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2011 -- U.S. officials are urgently redrawing a 2012 military training plan for Iraqi troops after Iraq's leaders announced they would not grant immunity to troops who remain after the December 31 deadline for withdrawal, The Washington Post reported on Sunday.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Political Leaders Reject Immunity For U.S. Training Troops RFE/RL 05 Oct 2011 -- Iraqi political leaders say they don't want to grant U.S. troops immunity from prosecution if a deal is reached for American forces to stay in Iraq past the end of this year to train Iraq's military
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 04 Oct 2011 [PDF]
- California Guardsmen train Iraqis on HEMTT fuel trucks Army News 03 Oct 2011 -- American Soldiers here recently conducted a week-long class to train fellow Iraqi Army personnel how to operate heavy expanded mobility tactical trucks in preparation for the upcoming assumption of operations by Iraqi Security Forces at the Camp Taji airfield.
- Aviation battalion successfully transitions Diamondback Army News 03 Oct 2011 -- More than 400 installations in Iraq have already been transitioned from American to Iraqi control -- but until the transfer of forward Operating Base Diamondback, none of those handovers had been completed by an aviation unit.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list