Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraq Moves to Cut Size of Government VOA 30 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has reached an agreement with parliament that calls for reducing the size of his national unity government.
- Mock attacks help prepare for worst in Basra Army News 29 Jul 2011 -- In the wake of attacks on U.S. bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, personnel on Contingency Operating Base Basra joined together during a mock attack to help prepare themselves for a possible worst-case scenario.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Twin Bombings Kill At Least 12, Injure 28 In Iraq RFE/RL 28 Jul 2011 -- Officials said two bombs have exploded in the Iraqi city of Tikrit, killing at least 12 people and injuring at least 28 others.
- Bomb Blasts Kill 15 in Iraq VOA 28 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi officials say at least 15 people have been killed by two bomb blasts outside a bank where soldiers and police officers had gathered to collect their paychecks.
- U.S. Still Open To Iraqi Request For Military Presence After 2011 RFE/RL 28 Jul 2011 -- A US official says Washington is confident Iraqi security forces can cope with the challenges facing their country after U.S. forces withdraw.
- Security Council extends UN mission in Iraq by another year UN News Centre 28 Jul 2011 -- The Security Council extended the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq for another year.
- $1Billion in Iraqi Reparations Released to Kuwait VOA 28 Jul 2011 -- A United Nations' commission has approved the release of more than $1 billion in compensation payments for victims of Iraq's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Iranian Exiles Say U.S. Failing To Help Wounded At Iraq Camp RFE/RL 27 Jul 2011 -- An exiled Iranian opposition group has criticized the US for not doing enough to help victims of clashes at a dissident camp.
- Iraq says not to allow PJAK, MKO to act ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi ambassador to Iran Majid al-Sheikh said his country would not allow PJAK and MKO to act inside the Arab country.
- IRGC will attack Pjak terrorists until Iraq deploys border guards IRNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iranian border guards will attack Pjak terrorists operating on border until the Iraqi or Iraqi Kurdistan administration deploy troops.
- Iran says it confronts PJAK until deployment of Iraqi forces ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- An Iranian senior military official said the guard forces would continue destructive and invasive operations against PJAK until deployment of Iraqi forces in borders.
- Iran guard deals another lethal blow to PJAK group ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps arrested and annihilated several teams of mobs and PJAK terrorist group in northwest Iran.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 26 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Kurdistan denies cooperating with PJAK ISNA 26 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi Patriotic Union of Kurdistan envoy in Iran Nazem Dabbagh said Kurdistan's region has not given permission to PJAK terrorist group to remain.
- Deaths Reported in Fighting Between Iran, Kurd Rebels VOA 26 Jul 2011 -- Iran says an unspecified number of militants with the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan have been killed, following clashes along the Iraqi border.
- IRGC launches fresh offensive operation against Pjak terrorists IRNA 26 Jul 2011 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps announced that units of IRGC ground forces launched fresh offensive against Pjak terrorist group.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- IRAQ: Hundreds displaced by Iranian shelling IRIN 25 Jul 2011 -- Nearly 200 families have been displaced in Iraq’s self-ruled northern Kurdish region due to Iranian shelling since mid-July.
- Iran Shelling Kills 2 in Iraq's Kurdish Region VOA 25 Jul 2011 -- Cross-border shelling by Iranian forces has killed two people and wounded at least two others in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region.
- U.S. forces transfer COS Sykes to ISF Army News 25 Jul 2011 -- U.S. forces officially transferred responsibility of Contingency Operating Site Sykes to Iraqi Security Forces, June 14.
- 4th STB relinquish command of Mayor Cell to Eng. Bde. Army News 24 Jul 2011 -- Initially 4th STB took command of the Mayor Cell mission and then handed it off to the 20th Eng. Bde., as the base prepares to close out at the end of the year.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- UK pays compensation for drowned Iraqi teenager IRNA 22 Jul 2011 -- Britain's Ministry of Defence has agreed to pay £100,000 compensation to the family of Iraqi teenager who drowned after being detained.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 21 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Iranian Incursion Into Iraqi Kurdistan Keeps Regional Players Guessing RFE/RL 20 Jul 2011 -- Days after Tehran sent a large contingent into Iraqi Kurdistan, the Iranians were claiming a resounding victory.
- Iran attacks PJAK base, kills terrorists ISNA 20 Jul 2011 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps attacked PJAK group's base, killing many members of the terrorist group.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Iraq will need sustained support to face pressing challenges UN News Centre 19 Jul 2011 -- Iraq can be proud of the progress made in recent years but it still faces considerable challenges.
- Sustainment Soldiers head to Kuwait to prep for drawdown in Iraq Army News 19 Jul 2011 -- Group of Soldiers traveled to Camp Buehring, Kuwait, to establish mission capability for the 310th ESC to facilitate the continuing re-posturing of forces from Iraq.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 18 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- IRGC Says Iran Controls Kurdish Rebel Camps In Iraq RFE/RL 18 Jul 2011 -- A commander for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps: Iranian forces have taken "full control" of three PJAK camps inside Iraq.
- Iran Guard Claims Control of Opposition Bases on Border VOA 18 Jul 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guards are in control of three bases of an Iranian Kurdish opposition group along the border of neighboring Iraq.
- Official: Saddam Half-Brothers To Be Executed Within A Month RFE/RL 15 Jul 2011 -- An Iraqi official says that Iraq will execute two of former leader Saddam Hussein's half-brothers within a month.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 15 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 14 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Soldiers keep Iraq's highways, byways safe Army News 13 Jul 2011 -- The combat engineers of Company C, 3rd Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division, are out in full force to provide critical assured mobility.
- Iran Rejects US Claims of Role in Iraq Attacks VOA 13 Jul 2011 -- Iran has dismissed U.S. claims that Tehran is arming insurgents who have played a role in attacks on American soldiers in Iraq.
- No Iranian injured in Karbala bombings ISNA 13 Jul 2011 -- No Iranian pilgrim was injured in bombings in Karbala, said representative of Iranian Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization to Iraq.
- Iraqi ambassador: Iraq to expel terrorist MKO refugees soon IRNA 13 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi Ambassador to Tehran Mohammad Majid al-Sheikh: Mujahedeen Khalq Organization refugees in Iraq will be expelled by the end of year.
- 233rd Transportation Company cases colors Army News 13 Jul 2011 -- Fort Knox’s 233rd Transportation Company cased its colors during a ceremony on July 13 in preparation for deployment to Kuwait in support of Operation New Dawn.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 11 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- NBC Interview With Secretary Panetta DoD 11 Jul 2011
- Panetta Calls for Iraqi Decision on Future U.S. Presence AFPS 11 Jul 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta neither pressured nor pleaded with Iraqi leaders to allow U.S. troops remain in Iraq after the scheduled Dec. 31 withdrawal date.
- Austin Gives Insight Into Drawdown, Possible Aid to Iraq AFPS 11 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi leaders are having an intense and ongoing dialogue about whether to ask U.S. forces to remain in Iraq after the scheduled Dec. 31 withdrawal date.
- Panetta Vows to Protect U.S. Troops AFPS 11 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. military will do what it needs to do to protect service members from weapons Iran is providing to Iraqi extremists, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Extremists Use Iranian Weapons, Iraq Command Spokesman Says AFPS 11 Jul 2011 -- There is no doubt that deadly weapons being used against American forces in Iraq originated in Iran, a U.S. Forces Iraq spokesman said.
- Panetta Says U.S. Forces Attack Iraqi Shi'ite Insurgents RFE/RL 11 Jul 2011 -- US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says US troops are carrying out operations against Iranian-backed Shi'ite insurgents in Iraq.
- US Defense Chief Concerned About Iranian Weapons in Iraq VOA 11 Jul 2011 -- US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta says the United States is very concerned about Iran providing weapons to militants in Iraq.
- Iraq Moving Forward to Establish Democracy, Panetta Says AFPS 11 Jul 2011 -- Though Iraq has developed the leaders it needs to move the country forward, forming a democracy has its perils, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Rockets hit Baghdad Green Zone as U.S. defense secretary visits city RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2011 -- Three rockets landed in the Iraqi capital Baghdad's protected Green Zone whilst U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was visiting the city.
- Saber Squadron counters indirect fire operations Army News 11 Jul 2011 -- The Soldiers of B/6-9th Cavalry, along with their Iraqi Security Force partners, sought out insurgents attempting to use indirect fire assets against the local security forces in Wasit province.
- District police, U.S. forces discuss progress and future Army News 11 Jul 2011 -- Members of the Provincial Police Transition Team, 1st Advise and Assist Task Force, visited the Dibbis district police station, northwest of Kirkuk City, Iraq, July 6.
- Iraqi Kurdistan region rejects reports on giving land to PJAK ISNA 11 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi Patriotic Union of Kurdistan envoy in Iran rejected reports that Iraqi Kurdistan region has given land to PJAK group.
- Iran criticizes Iraqi Kurdistan for giving land to PJAK ISNA 11 Jul 2011 -- An Iranian senior military official said allocation of 3,000,000 hectares of Kurdistan region of Iraq to terrorist group shows treachery to Iraqi people.
- Panetta Arrives in Baghdad for Talks with Leaders AFPS 10 Jul 2011 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta arrived here today for meetings with senior Iraqi and American officials.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 08 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- Chalabi: US presence in Iraq not in Iraqis' favor IRNA 08 Jul 2011 -- The Iraqi National Congress Leader, Ahmad Chalabi, says presence of Americans in Iraqi territory is not in favor of the Iraqi people.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- EU court orders UK to investigate deaths of six Iraqi civilians IRNA 07 Jul 2011 -- The Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights ordered the UK to investigate the deaths of six civilians killed in Iraq in 2003 in incidents involving British soldiers.
- 731st EOD Company comes home Army News 07 Jul 2011 -- In the early morning hours of June 29, Soldiers with the 731st Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company returned to their Families in a ceremony at Fort Stewart, June 29.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- U.S. Troops on Target to Leave Iraq This Year AFPS 06 Jul 2011 -- The US intends to abide by its commitments in the 2008 U.S.-Iraq Security Agreement, including the obligation to complete the drawdown of U.S. forces there by the end of the year.
- Six years success in southern Iraq, Mission complete for U.S. reconstruction team Army News 06 Jul 2011 -- In a few weeks, the Babil PRT will close its doors on Contingency Operating Site Kalsu.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 05 Jul 2011 [PDF]
- At Least 35 Killed in Iraq Bombings VOA 05 Jul 2011 -- Two bombs have exploded outside a government building north of Baghdad, killing at least 35 people.
- Bombings, Shootings Kill 8 People in Iraq VOA 04 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi authorities say a series of bomb and shooting attacks across the country killed at least eight people from late Sunday into Monday.
- Separate Attacks in Iraq Kill 4 VOA 04 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi officials say bomb and gun attacks in the capital, Baghdad, and in the west have killed at least four people and wounded eight others.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Jul 2011 [PDF]
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list