Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 05 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- Transcript: Operational Update 05 Jan 2005 -- Gen. Thomas Metz, Commander, Multinational Corps-Iraq
- Transcript: Special Defense Department Briefing on Security Operations In Baghdad 05 Jan 2005 -- Major General Peter W. Chiarelli, Commander, Multinational Division-Baghdad, and Commanding General, 1st Cavalry Division
- IRAQ / SECURITY VOA 05 Jan 2005 -- The commander of multi-national forces in Baghdad says the coalition is having some success fighting the insurgency, but he acknowledges that violence will continue as the January 30th election approaches.
- Iraq Minister: Mosul Military Operations To Begin Soon RFE/RL 05 Jan 2005 -- Qassim Dawud, the interim Iraqi minister of state for national security, says Iraqi forces, backed by U.S.-led troops, will soon begin military operations against insurgents in the northern city of Mosul.
- Iraqi National Guard repels insurgents 31st MEU raids net 27 detainees MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- An insurgent attempting to emplace an improvised explosive device near a school in Ar Rutbah wound up being the victim Monday.
- Task Force Baghdad Secures Salman Pak as a Part of "Operation Triple Play" MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- To improve security for the upcoming elections in Iraq, Task Force Baghdad troops executed "Operation Triple Play" Dec. 31 in order to hinder the ability of insurgent groups to plan and resource large operations.
- Cavalry Moves in on Insurgents Near Euphrates MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Days after moving from Baghdad to Camp Dogwood in North Babil, the Soldiers of Task Force 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, went on the offensive against anti-Iraqi activity in this relatively unfamiliar area of Iraq.
- IP officer Wounded in Mortar Attack Near Baqubah MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- An Iraqi police officer was wounded when anti-Iraqi force mortar fire hit his home near Baqubah on Jan. 4 at about 3:40 p.m.
- Second MOI Battalion Detains Three in Raid Near Samarra MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers from the 2nd Iraqi Ministry of the Interior Commando Battalion detained three individuals in a raid near Samarra at about 10:30 p.m. on Jan. 4.
- Marines Seize Weapons Caches, Detain 16 MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Marines from the 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, detained 16 suspected insurgents and discovered several weapons caches on Jan. 4 during operations throughout Al Anbar Province.
- ISF, MNF-I Detain 17 Terrorists in Past 24 hours MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces and elements of Task Force Olympia and 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Regiment (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained 17 suspected terrorists during several operations throughout northern Iraq over the past 24 hours.
- Task Force 2-12 Finds Large Cache Near Euphrates MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- When Task Force 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, of the 1st Cavalry Division, moved from Camp Striker in Baghdad to Dogwood less than a week ago, they were met with a barrage of mortar hits on the camp and improvised explosive device hits on their convoys.
- 5 Iraqi Police, 8 Others Wounded in VBIED Attack MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Five Iraqi police officers were killed and eight others, including Iraqi police, Iraqi National Guard soldiers and civilians, were wounded when anti-Iraqi forces detonated a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device in Baqubah on Jan. 5 at about 4:05 p.m.
- I Marine Expeditionary Force Net Nine Suspected Insurgents Throughout western Al Anbar Province MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit conducted three operations during the past 48 hours that netted nine suspected insurgents throughout the western Al Anbar Province.
- Safety challenges workforce at Iraqi Army base Army News 05 Jan 2005 -- Wide variances in building processes, and almost non-existent safety rules and regulations have made ongoing reconstruction efforts in Iraq dynamic and complex.
- Charlie 1/2 supports Army's 1st BCT in As Suwayrah USMC News 05 Jan 2005 -- In a large hangar at an abandoned airfield once used by one of Saddam Hussein's most feared units - the Medina Armored Division of the Republican Guard - Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit rang in the new year hoping to ring up anti-Iraqi insurgents.
- 1/23 Marines disrupt insurgents around Ramadi USMC News 05 Jan 2005 -- The moonlit midnight hour only faintly illuminated the shadowy-team of Marines who crept across the muddy, fenced in yard around a drab farmhouse in the small Iraqi village.
- Red Wolves Return from Iraq Navy NewsStand 05 Jan 2005 -- Nearly 45 pilots, air crew, and maintenance personnel of Helicopter Combat Support Special Squadron (HCS) 4, Det. 3, will return to Naval Station Norfolk Jan. 6 after a three month deployment to Iraq.
- American General: Insurgents Will Not Stop Iraqi Elections AFPS 05 Jan 2005 -- Multinational forces are getting better at finding and foiling bomb attacks in the Baghdad, Iraq, area, the U.S. general responsible for that area said today.
- US / SYRIA SANCTIONS VOA 05 Jan 2005 -- The Bush administration Wednesday raised the prospect of new sanctions against Syria. U.S. officials say that despite prodding from Washington, the Damascus government has failed to crack down on Iraqis in Syria providing support for the Iraqi insurgency.
- U.S. Condemns Assassination Of Baghdad Governor RFE/RL 05 Jan 2005 -- The White House has condemned the killing yesterday of Baghdad Governor Ali Radi al-Haydari but said Iraqi elections planned for 30 January will go ahead as scheduled
- Iraq Humanitarian and Reconstruction Assistance Updates USAID 05 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- IRAQ: Special report on elections IRIN 05 Jan 200
- SYRIA: Iraqis able to vote in upcoming poll IRIN 05 Jan 2005 -- The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has announced that it has signed an agreement with the Syrian authorities, allowing Iraqis living there to be able to vote in their country's upcoming election on 30 January.
- IRAQ / ELECTIONS VOA 05 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi vowed on Wednesday to hold national elections on January 30th as scheduled, in spite of unrelenting daily violence by insurgents aimed at disrupting the polls. Shortly before Mr. Allawi spoke to reporters in Baghdad, yet another car bomb targeting Iraqi security forces exploded at a police graduation ceremony in the south central city of Hillah. The blast killed nearly a dozen people.
- Iraq: Sunnis Voicing Increasing Concerns Over 30 January Vote Date RFE/RL 05 Jan 2005 -- Arab Sunni leaders are becoming increasingly vocal in raising concerns over Iraq's planned 30 January elections. Many say they worry that the security situation in central and parts of northern Iraq will prevent large numbers of Sunni voters from going to the polls, assuring Sunni candidates do poorly in the race for seats in the new National Assembly. Some community leaders fear this month's vote will hand power to Iraq's Shi'a majority after decades of Sunni dominance of the country's affairs.
- TF Danger presents 4th ING Division with equipment MNF-I/MNC-I 05 Jan 2005 -- Senior leaders with the 1st Infantry Division presented their 4th Iraqi National Guard Division counterparts with vehicles and other equipment here on Jan. 2.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list