Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2017 - Iran Special Weapons News
- In Rare Video In Persian, IS Threatens To Conquer Iran RFE/RL 30 Mar 2017 -- The militant group Islamic State (IS) has vowed in a rare video message in Persian that includes the apparent beheading of four captured soldiers that it will conquer Iran.
- Iran to US: Stop harassing Persian Gulf states Press TV 30 Mar 2017 -- Iran's defense minister has called on the US to leave the Persian Gulf and stop harassing regional countries.
- Iran refutes AL claims about interference in regional states Press TV 30 Mar 2017 -- Iran has slammed the Arab League for repeating its baseless claims of "foreign interference" in the domestic of regional states in reference to the Islamic Republic, saying the Iranian foreign policy has always been based on "good-neighborly relations."
- US should use 'military means' against Iran: CENTCOM chief Press TV 30 Mar 2017 -- The United States should consider using "military means" against Iran, US Army General Joseph Votel says, calling Tehran "the greatest long-term threat to stability" in the Middle East.
- Senior State Department Officials on Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act (INKSNA) Sanctions US Dept. of State 30 Mar 2017
- US Arrests Turkish Banker in Iran Sanctions Case VOA 30 Mar 2017 -- Turkish banker Mehmet Hakan Atilla, a prominent ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, came to New York this week to school investors on his state bank's plans to sell new dollar bonds.
- CENTCOM Commander Tells About Over 300 Incidents With Iranian Vessels Annually Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- The US Navy registers more than 300 yearly incidents involving Iranian fast attack vessels in the Arabian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, US Central Command (CENTCOM) commander Gen. Joseph Votel said in a congressional testimony on Wednesday.
- General Staff of Armed Forces hails Iran's deterrence power IRNA 29 Mar 2017 -- General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran, in a statement on Wednesday, said that Iran's deterrence power have reached a point that has caused strategic fear in the enemy's front.
- Iran May Grant Russia Access to Its Military Facilities on Certain Terms Sputnik 29 Mar 2017 -- Tehran is willing to grant Russia ad hoc access to its military bases should Moscow need them to carry out its counterterrorism operations, with the Iranian leadership making a discrete decision in each particular case.
- Russia and Iran Vow Partnership in Syria VOA 28 Mar 2017 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani signed bilateral agreements with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin Tuesday during his first visit to Moscow.
- Russia can use Iran bases for anti-terror battle in Syria: Zarif Press TV 28 Mar 2017 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran could, if necessary, allow Russia to use its military bases on "a case by case basis" for missions against terrorists in Syria.
- Iran Navy flotilla berths at India's Cochin port Press TV 27 Mar 2017 -- An Iranian Navy fleet has docked at India's Port of Cochin in line with the Islamic Republic's policy of expanding its naval presence in high seas.
- Iran calls for putting an end to bloodshed in Yemen IRNA 26 Mar 2017 -- On the second anniversary of aggression of the so-called coalition forces led by Saudi Arabia against Yemen, Iran's Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Sunday to strongly condemn the blatant warmongering and called for putting an end to the devastating war and bloodshed in the country at the earliest.
- Iran urges swift end to Saudi aggression against Yemen Press TV 26 Mar 2017 -- On the second anniversary of Saudi Arabia's brutal military aggression against Yemen, the Iranian Foreign Ministry says war and bloodshed must immediately end in the impoverished country.
- Iran dismisses Turkey's claims as justification for its expansionist policies Press TV 26 Mar 2017 -- Iran has dismissed the recent "unacceptable and unjustifiable" remarks by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan against Tehran, saying Ankara is leveling accusations against other countries to justify its expansionist policies.
- Iran's Navy flotilla docks at India's Cochin Port IRNA 26 Mar 2017 -- Iranian Navy flotilla comprising " Tunb" and " Naqdi" warships berthed at Indian port of Cochin.
- In reciprocal act, Iran sanctions 15 American companies IRNA 26 Mar 2017 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran, in response to Washington's imposition of new sanctions against Tehran, has put 15 American companies under sanctions.
- Iran announces sanctions on 15 US companies Press TV 26 Mar 2017 -- Iran has announced retaliatory sanctions on 15 American companies over their support for Israeli crimes and terrorism two days after Washington imposed bans on nearly a dozen foreign companies or individuals for aiding the Islamic Republic.
- Military spokesman: US should have more control on its warships in Persian Gulf IRNA 25 Mar 2017 -- Spokesman of Armed Forces Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri underlined on Saturday that the US should have more control and supervision on its fleet's behavior in the Persian Gulf.
- US better watch moves more carefully in Persian Gulf: Iran Press TV 25 Mar 2017 -- Iran's chief Armed Forces spokesman has dismissed reports about alleged "unprofessional behavior" by Iranian vessels in the Persian Gulf, saying the US had better watch more carefully the moves of its naval forces in the region.
- Iran raps renewal of UN special rapporteur's mandate Press TV 24 Mar 2017 -- Iran has condemned as "selective and spiteful" the UN Human Rights Council's resolution to renew the mandate of the UN special rapporteur on the human rights situation in the Islamic Republic, saying it was a politically-motivated move by a few countries abusing UN mechanisms.
- US sanctions 11 firms, individuals for transferring technology to Iran Press TV 24 Mar 2017 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on eleven companies or individuals from China, North Korea or the United Arab Emirates for transferring technology to Iran that it claimed could boost the country's ballistic missile program.
- U.S. Senators From Both Parties Sponsor Bill Tightening Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 24 Mar 2017 -- U.S. senators from both major political parties introduced legislation on March 23 to tighten sanctions on Iran over its ballistic missile launches and other non-nuclear military activities.
- Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act Sanctions US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2017 -- On March 21, the United States imposed sanctions on 30 foreign entities and individuals in 10 countries pursuant to the Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act (INKSNA). These sanctions apply to the specific individuals and entities which will be listed in the federal register and will be in effect for two years.
- ZTE pleads guilty to dodging Iran sanctions Press TV 23 Mar 2017 -- China's telecommunications giant ZTE Corp has pleaded guilty in US federal court in Texas for shipping US goods and technology to Iran.
- Iran Steps Up Supplies to Houthis VOA 22 Mar 2017 -- They are nicknamed "kamikaze" drones. Houthi forces and those aligned with former President Ali Abdullah Saleh in Yemen are using them to target the missile-defense systems of Saudi-led coalition forces, weapons analysts say.
- US will honor Iran nuclear deal: Trump's advisor Press TV 22 Mar 2017 -- US President Donald Trump's nuclear advisor says Washington will honor the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and six major world powers, including the United States.
- White House Adviser Says Will Honor Iran Nuclear Deal, Ensure Iran Complies RFE/RL 22 Mar 2017 -- A senior adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump on nuclear matters says that the United States will honor Iran's nuclear deal with world powers for now, while seeking to ensure strict compliance by Tehran.
- Amano: Iran fully loyal to all its JCPOA commitments IRNA 21 Mar 2017 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano has announced that Iran has been adhering to its JCPOA commitments.
- Saudi General Hails US Pledge to Boost Intel, Military Support Against Iran Sputnik 20 Mar 2017 -- A top Saudi military general says the Trump Administration has vowed it will significantly increase US intelligence support and defense cooperation with Riyadh against "Iran-backed" Houthis in Yemen.
- Iraqi PM: No coalition, Iranian forces present in war on Daesh IRNA 20 Mar 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has brushed off claims that tens of thousand international coalition and Iranian forces are involved in war against Daesh.
- Army air force fully prepared IRNA 18 Mar 2017 -- Deputy Air Force Commander for Coordination Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh said that the air force is fully prepared for any possible confrontation with the enemy's possible attacks.
- Iran Takes Stand On Nuclear Deal Provision That Clashes With U.S. View RFE/RL 18 Mar 2017 -- Iran is questioning a provision of its nuclear deal with world powers in a way that could lead to confrontation with the United States.
- Navy commander: Iran able to confront all threats in free waters IRNA 16 Mar 2017 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced that Iran is able to confront all threats in the world's free waters.
- Commander: Iran's navy conducts escorts for 10,000 cargo ships, oil tankers IRNA 16 Mar 2017 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced that his forces have conducted a total of 150 escort operations for 10,000 cargo ships and oil tankers in the free waters.
- Rosatom starts construction of second unit of Bushehr nuclear power plant IRNA 15 Mar 2017 -- Russia's State Atomic Energy Corporation (Rosatom) said on Wednesday it has begun construction of the second unit of Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Two spies arrested at Abu Musa Island IRNA 15 Mar 2017 -- Hormuzgan Border Commander at Hormuzgan colonel Ali Mirshamsi said on Wednesday that two spies under the guise of tourist were arrested at Abu Musa Island in the second half of the Iranian year.
- Construction Begins on Iran's Bushehr-2 Nuclear Power Plant- Rosatom Sputnik 15 Mar 2017 -- Construction and installation works on the future Bushehr-2 Nuclear Power Plant in Iran began on Tuesday, press service of the Rosatom's ASE company said on Wednesday.
- UN Human Rights Council discusses situations in DPRK, Iran, Myanmar and Burundi UN News 13 Mar 2017 -- At respective interactive dialogues today on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Myanmar, Burundi, Iran and Eretria, senior United Nations independent human rights experts called on the governments to take immediate steps to ensure human rights protection in their respective countries.
- Iran's fleet of warships berth in Oman IRNA 13 Mar 2017 -- The Iranian Navy announced that its 45th flotilla has berthed in the port city of Salalah in Oman on Monday.
- UN Rights Monitor Highlights Political Repression, Abuse, Executions In Iran RFE/RL 13 Mar 2017 -- Reformists in Iran are under pressure, detainees face torture and abuse, and people are being executed at an "alarming" rate, a UN monitor studying human rights in the tightly controlled country says.
- Iran Refutes Media Allegations on Plans to Set Military Base in Syria Sputnik 13 Mar 2017 -- IRGC Deputy Commander for political affairs Brig. Gen. Rasul Sanayee Rad claims that Tehran is not planning to establish a military base in the Syrian province of Latakia.
- Iran unveils most advanced Karrar Tank IRNA 12 Mar 2017 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said here on Sunday that updating armor equipment is the main strategy of the country's defense ministry.
- Iran unveils new advanced tank Karrar ISNA 12 Mar 2017 -- Iran has unveiled its first home-made highly advanced tank called "Karrar" on Sunday during a ceremony attended by defense minister Hossein Dehghan.
- Iran unveils world-class indigenous tank Press TV 12 Mar 2017 -- Iran has unveiled its most advanced indigenous tank of amphibious mobility for induction into the country's armored assets, local news agencies report.
- Iran, Russia consider naval cooperation development IRNA 12 Mar 2017 -- During visit of Iran friendship flotilla to Makhachkala Port in Dagestan Republic of Russian Federation on Caspian Sea, Commander of the flotilla Commodore Mohsen Sheidaei called for naval cooperation development.
- IRGC navy cmdr.: New president in US will have no impact on Iran's global might IRNA 12 Mar 2017 -- Commander of naval force of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Rear-Admiral Ali Fadavi said on Sunday that the new president taking office in the US and any other changes will have no effect on Iran's might in the world, particularly across the region.
- Iran to unveil Karrar tank Sunday IRNA 11 Mar 2017 -- Domestically-manufactured battle Karrar (Striker) tank would be unveiled in a ceremony on Sunday attended by Defense Minister Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan, it was announced on Saturday.
- Iranian flotilla returns home IRNA 11 Mar 2017 -- 44th Flotilla of the Navy of Iran's Army returned home on Saturday after a five-month mission.
- Iran seeks constructive marine interaction with Russia: Commander Press TV 11 Mar 2017 -- Iran seeks to bolster "good and constructive" marine cooperation with Russia, an Iranian naval commander says.
- Iran's sovereignty over 3 Islands irrefutable, ever-lasting: FM spox IRNA 10 Mar 2017 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi said Iran's sovereignty over the three Persian Gulf islands of the Abu Musa, the Greater Tunb and the Lesser Tunb is an irrefutable and a perpetual fact.
- Israel Warns Russia That Iran's Presence In Syria Blocks Peace Deal RFE/RL 10 Mar 2017 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told Russian President Vladimir Putin there can never be peace in Syria as long Iran maintains troops and advisers there.
- Iran Friendship Flotilla berths at Russian port Press TV 10 Mar 2017 -- A fourth Iranian "Friendship Flotilla" has sailed for Russia across the Caspian Sea, docking at a port city in North Caucasus.
- Iran Poses Threat to Centcom's Area of Responsibility, Votel Says AFPS 09 Mar 2017 -- Iran poses the most significant threat to U.S. Central Command's complex area of responsibility, Centcom commander Army Gen. Joseph L. Votel told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- AEOI chief: Horizon of Iran-IAEA cooperation bright IRNA 09 Mar 2017 -- Vice-President and Head of the Atomic Energy Agency of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi congratulated the reelection of Yukiya Amano as director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and said that he sees good horizon in Tehran-IAEA cooperation.
- DyFM: JCPOA helps much to develop political maturity IRNA 09 Mar 2017 -- Head of follow up headquarter to implement Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) Abbas Araqchi by referring to different dimensions of the international document said on Thursday that JCPOA helped a lot to develop political maturity in Iran's society.
- Iran successfully test-fires Hormuz-2 ballistic missile Press TV 09 Mar 2017 -- A top Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic has successfully test-fired Hormuz-2 ballistic missile.
- Iran's IRGC Reportedly Test-Fires Sea-Launched Ballistic Missile RFE/RL 09 Mar 2017 -- Iranian news agencies are reporting that the country's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has "successfully" test-fired a sea-launched ballistic missile.
- Iran IAEA envoy questions US call for strict implementation of JCPOA IRNA 08 Mar 2017 -- Iran's Resident Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Reza Najafi said on Wednesday that US delegation can talk about strict implementation of the JCPOA if and only if it fully complies with its obligations under the JCPOA.
- All parties to JCPOA must fulfill commitments, says Iran's IAEA envoy Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says the 2015 nuclear agreement between the Islamic Republic and the P5+1 group of countries will be "sustainable" only if all parties fulfill their obligations stipulated in the deal.
- Iran's defense minister promises strong response to enemy moves Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the country's defensive military power will catch enemies off guard in case of an act of aggression against the Islamic Republic.
- US ship changed course towards Iran vessels: IRGC commander Press TV 08 Mar 2017 -- A commander with Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says an American warship recently drew its warning by sailing "unprofessionally" close to the force's vessels near Iranian territorial waters.
- Saba 248 national helicopter unveiled IRNA 07 Mar 2017 -- The Saba-248 national helicopter was unveiled in a ceremony attended by Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan and Vice President for Scientific and Technological Affairs Sourena Sattari on Tuesday.
- Pakistani Alleged Spy For Iran Goes On Trial in Berlin RFE/RL 08 Mar 2017 -- A Pakistani man went on trial in a Berlin court on March 8 to face charges that he was spying on Israeli and Jewish institutions for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp. (IRGC).
- Iraqi Air Force cmdr.: Iran continues to be Iraq's number one supporter IRNA 07 Mar 2017 -- Commander of Iraqi Air Force General Hamid al-Maliki said on Tuesday that Iran continues to be Iraq's number one supporter in the fight against terrorism.
- Iran's strong presence safeguards Caspian Sea security: Navy Comdr IRNA 07 Mar 2017 -- Iran's pivotal role is the main factor in maintaining stability and security in the Caspian Sea, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said.
- Navy commander says no need to foreign equipment IRNA 07 Mar 2017 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says that the naval forces do not need to buy any equipment from the Western countries.
- Iran unveils new multi-purpose helicopter Saba 248 ISNA 07 Mar 2017 -- Iran has unveiled a new multi-purpose helicopter designed by Iranian helicopter modernization experts.
- Zarif says had no contact with Tillerson ISNA 07 Mar 2017 -- According to Supreme Leader and government's measure, Iran was in a situation that could easily ramp its nuclear program back up but its preference was continuation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iranian foreign minister Mohammad JavadZarif said during his interview with ISNA.
- Iran flotilla sets sail for Russia's Dagestan Press TV 07 Mar 2017 -- A flotilla of Iranian warships has left the country's northern territorial waters for Russia in a bid to convey the Islamic Republic's message of peace and friendship.
- IAEA must continue role in developing peaceful nuclear technology: Iran Press TV 07 Mar 2017 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) must maintain its key role in developing sciences related to the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, says the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations and the current chairman of the Vienna Chapter of Group of 77.
- Iranian Official Says 2,100 Fighters Killed In Syria, Iraq RFE/RL 07 Mar 2017 -- More than 2,000 fighters sent by Iran have been killed in conflicts in Syria and Iraq, according to the head of the Iranian veterans' affairs office.
- Settlement Agreement between the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control and Zhongxing Telecommunications Equipment Corporation US Treasury 07 Mar 2017 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today announced a $100,871,266 settlement agreement with Zhongxing Telecommunications Equipment Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates, as well as with ZTE Kangxun Telecommunications Ltd. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively referred to as "ZTE"), to settle ZTE's potential civil liability for 251 apparent violations of the Iranian Transactions and Sanctions Regulations, 31 C.F.R. part 560 (ITSR).
- Chinese Telecom to Pay US $892M for Violating Iran Sanctions VOA 07 Mar 2017 -- A Chinese telecommunications company has agreed to pay $892 million for violating U.S. sanctions on Iran, settling a case that resulted in increased tension between the U.S. and China.
- US Navy Spy Ship Forced to Change Course After Iranian Attack Vessels Approach Sputnik 06 Mar 2017 -- The USNS Invincible, escorted by the British Royal Navy, experienced a close encounter with high-speed attack ships deployed by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, ultimately compelling the US spy ship and her formation to alter her course.
- US Navy Ship Changes Course After Iranian Vessel Interaction VOA 06 Mar 2017 -- Iranian vessels came within 550 meters of a U.S. Navy ship Saturday in the Strait of Hormuz, in what a Navy official told VOA was an "unprofessional and unsafe" encounter that forced the U.S. ship to change direction.
- Supreme Leader: Enemy's military move to unify nation IRNA 06 Mar 2017 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Monday that enemy's military move will unify one nation but cultural inroads weaken their wills and deviate the young generation.
- Amano reaffirms non-diversion of nuclear material declared by Iran IRNA 06 Mar 2017 -- Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano says the IAEA will continue to verify the non-diversion of nuclear material declared by Iran under its Safeguards Agreement.
- European countries support JCPOA: Spokesman IRNA 06 Mar 2017 -- Spokesman of Foreign Ministry Bahram Qasemi said here on Monday that the European countries support nuclear deal inked between Iran and the six world powers.
- Some regional states pave way for foreign presence: Dehqan Press TV 06 Mar 2017 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says some regional countries are paving the way for the presence of foreign military powers in the region, stressing that the provision of security cannot be entrusted to others.
- IAEA verifies Iran's adherence to JCPOA for over one year Press TV 06 Mar 2017 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again verified Iran's adherence to its commitments under a July 2015 nuclear agreement between the Islamic Republic and six global powers.
- Iran Formally Charges Member Of Nuclear Negotiating Team RFE/RL 06 Mar 2017 -- Iran's judiciary has laid formal criminal charges against a member of the team that negotiated the 2015 agreement with world powers on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran Reportedly Fires Two Ballistic Missiles in Gulf of Oman Over Weekend Sputnik 06 Mar 2017 -- Iran reportedly launched two short-ranged ballistic missiles over the weekend from Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps bases in Bandar-e-Jask.
- Iran successfully tests S-300 missile system Press TV 04 Mar 2017 -- Iran has successfully tested the Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system, which the Islamic Republic has purchased from Russia and integrated into the defense system of the country.
- Iran Said Seeking Russian Cruise Missiles Ahead Of Weapons Ban Expiration RFE/RL 04 Mar 2017 -- Iran is already negotiating to buy cruise missiles from Russia and is likely to make other major weapons purchases when a UN ban on selling Iran sophisticated weapons expires in 2020, a U.S. intelligence report finds.
- Iran Successfully Tests Russian S-300 Missile System During Drills Sputnik 04 Mar 2017 -- The Iranian Armed Forces have successfully tested the S-300 surface-to-air missile systems bought from Russia during the drills.
- ZTE to plead guilty over Iran sales Press TV 03 Mar 2017 -- China's telecom giant ZTE is reportedly trying to reach a deal to plead guilty to US criminal charges and avoid a hefty fine over allegations that it dodged US sanctions in its previous Iran transactions.
- Velayati: Iran's missile program aimed for self-defense IRNA 01 Mar 2017 -- Head of the Center for Strategic Research Center of Iran's Expediency Council Ali Akbar Velayati said on Wednesday that Iran's missile program is solely aimed at self-defense.
- Araqchi: Tehran, Moscow to review JCPOA implementation IRNA 01 Mar 2017 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Wednesday that talks between Tehran and Moscow on the prospects of implementing Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) are underway.
- IMF says Iran rebounds after nuclear deal ISNA 01 Mar 2017 -- The International Monetary Fund says Iran's economy has rebounded after the nuclear deal with world powers, Associated Press reported.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list