Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - Iran Special Weapons News
- EC Secretary: Iran's missile defense program not negotiable IRNA 31 Mar 2016 -- Expediency Council (EC) Secretary Mohsen Rezaei wrote on an Instagram post on Thursday that Iran's right for self-defense is not negotiable and said it will remain so in the future as well.
- Senior Diplomat: JCPOA not related to missile issue IRNA 31 Mar 2016 -- Director General for political and international security of Foreign Ministry Hamid Baeedinejad noted that Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has no connection with missile issue and country's defensive capability, but unfortunately a number of people insist on directly relating the two issues.
- Iran won't need permission on defense capabilities: Minister Dehqan Press TV 31 Mar 2016 -- Iran's defense minister says the country will not wait for permission from "others" to boost its defense capabilities after the US and its allies urge the UN to take action over Tehran's missile tests.
- Ayatollah Khamenei: Our Time Calls for Both Talks and Missiles The Office of the Supreme Leader, Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Hosseini Khamenei 30 Mar 2016 -- Highlighting the enemy's persistent use of all tools for countering the Iranian nation and the Islamic establishment, Ayatollah Khamenei said: "In the present and future complicated world, we have to take advantage of all political, economic, social and defense tools to strengthen Iran's position."
- Supreme Leader backs peaceful settlement of international disputes IRNA 30 Mar 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Wednesday backed peaceful settlement of international disputes, saying that safeguarding national sovereignty of the governments needs defense power.
- Leader stresses need for Islamic Iran to enjoy defense might IRNA 30 Mar 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei stressed the need for further reinforcement of defense might of the country.
- Iran missile tests did not breach UN resolution: Russia Press TV 30 Mar 2016 -- Russia has once again affirmed that Iran's recent ballistic missile tests were not in breach of a United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolution adopted last July.
- Iran must boost defense capabilities: Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 30 Mar 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has stressed the strengthening of Iran's defense capabilities in the face of enemy threats.
- US, three allies urge UN meeting on Iran missile tests Press TV 30 Mar 2016 -- The United States and some of its European allies have reportedly called for a meeting at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Iran's recent missile tests, which they claim were carried out in defiance of a UN resolution.
- Khamenei Says Missiles Are Key To Iran's Future, Not Negotiations RFE/RL 30 Mar 2016 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says that missiles, not negotiations, are the key to his country's future.
- Iran urges intensification of Syria's anti-terror fight Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Iran's defense minister has called on Syria to intensify its military operations in order to root out terrorism following the Arab country's recent advances against Daesh terrorists.
- Iran's Rouhani urges lasting ceasefire in Syria Press TV 28 Mar 2016 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has called for the continuation of ceasefire in Syria and acceleration of political negotiations to end a foreign-backed war that has gripped the Arab country for over five years.
- No stop to Iran's missile program development: IRGC cmdr. Press TV 28 Mar 2016 -- A senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says Iran will never stop developing its "defensive and deterrent" ballistic missile program.
- Boosting defense capabilities a strategic policy: Iran Press TV 28 Mar 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says boosting defense capabilities is a "strategic policy" of the Islamic Republic while Tehran should be wary of not providing its enemies with any "excuse."
- Zarif: US should undertake JCPOA commitments IRNA 26 Mar 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined that the US government is duty-bound to fulfill the Joint Plan of Action (JCPOA) and it does not matter which political party takes the helm.
- Iran responds to US actions by boosting missile power: Zarif Press TV 26 Mar 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic will counter the recent US measures against Iran by further boosting its missile capabilities.
- Iran Hopes for Talks With Saudis to Resolve Differences VOA 26 Mar 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says his country is ready to "do anything it can" to restore its relations with Saudi Arabia, for the sake of promoting progress and prosperity in the Muslim world.
- Iran: Missile tests are legitimate measures to boost defense might IRNA 25 Mar 2016 -- Permanent Representative and Ambassador to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshroo said on Friday that Iran's recent ballistic missile tests were part of ongoing efforts of the armed forces to strengthen the country's legitimate defense capabilities.
- Iran's Rouhani in Pakistan on 1st visit as president Press TV 25 Mar 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has arrived in Pakistan on his first landmark visit since the implementation of a nuclear agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group of six countries.
- Iran says missile tests not violate UN resolution Press TV 25 Mar 2016 -- Iran's ambassador to the UN says the country's recent ballistic missile tests do not violate a UN Security Council resolution that endorses Tehran's nuclear agreement with world powers.
- Trade In Focus As Iranian President Visits Pakistan RFE/RL 25 Mar 2016 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani is heading to Islamabad on March 25 as neighboring Iran and Pakistan seek to boost trade ties.
- Seven Iranians Working for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Affiliated Entities Charged for Conducting Coordinated Campaign of Cyber Attacks Against U.S. Financial Sector US Dept. of Justice 24 Mar 2016 -- A grand jury in the Southern District of New York indicted seven Iranian individuals who were employed by two Iran-based computer companies, ITSecTeam (ITSEC) and Mersad Company (MERSAD), that performed work on behalf of the Iranian Government, including the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, on computer hacking charges related to their involvement in an extensive campaign of over 176 days of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
- Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch Delivers Remarks at Press Conference Announcing Seven Iranians Charged for Conducting Cyber Attacks against U.S. Financial Sector US Dept. of Justice 24 Mar 2016
- US accuses Iran of cyber attack against dozens of banks Press TV 24 Mar 2016 -- The US government has charged several Iranian hackers with coordinating a campaign of cyber attacks on dozens of American banks and a dam in New York state from 2011 to 2013.
- US Charges Iranian Hacker With 'Illegally Obtaining Access' to New York Dam Sputnik 24 Mar 2016 -- One of the seven Iranian defendants the United States has charged in a massive cyber intrusion to the US financial sector has also been charged with trying to hack into a dam in New York State, US Attorney General Loretta Lynch said during a news conference on Thursday.
- US Accuses 7 Iranians of State-Sanctioned Hacking VOA 24 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. accused seven Iranians Thursday of carrying out a massive computer hacking scheme on behalf of the Iranian government to disrupt the Internet operations at 46 American financial institutions.
- Spokesman: Iran missile program irrelevant to JCPOA IRNA 24 Mar 2016 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said on Thursday that Iran's missile program has nothing to do with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and is not in violation of the UN Security Council resolution 2231.
- Iran to keep boosting missile might despite new US sanctions Press TV 24 Mar 2016 -- Iran says it will continue to enhance its missile might despite new US sanctions aimed at curbing its defense capabilities.
- Iran to UN: Missile Launch Not A Violation VOA 24 Mar 2016 -- The Iranian government has written to the United Nations defending its recent ballistic missile launch, which was criticized by the United States and other nations.
- Iranian President to Visit Pakistan Seeking Better Ties VOA 24 Mar 2016 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani visits neighboring Pakistan for two days starting Friday. The trip is apparently part of Iran's diplomatic campaign to boost economic and trade ties with neighboring and regional countries now that international sanctions against it have been removed.
- Saudi/Iran Detente May Be Advisable, but Is it Likely? VOA 24 Mar 2016 -- Relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia - tenuous at best since the 1979 Iran revolution - have plummeted in the wake of an international nuclear deal with Iran and Saudi Arabia's execution of a prominent Shi'ite cleric in January. The two rivals have mended explosive rifts in the past, and some analysts say it's time they mend the current one, lest they ignite a direct war that could swallow the whole region.
- Iranians Fuel Property Frenzy in Syria VOA 22 Mar 2016 -- The Iranian government is encouraging prominent Tehran developers to buy property in well-off Shi'ite majority neighborhoods in Syria's capital, analysts and construction industry sources in Tehran said.
- Supreme Leader: Americans not acting on their pledges IRNA 20 Mar 2016 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that Americans did not act on their pledges in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- US wants to restore its hold on Iran: Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 20 Mar 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the US seeks to restore over Iran the hegemony and influence that Washington exerted during the reign of the regime that was toppled by the 1979 Iranian Revolution.
- Leader: Resistance Economy best solution to Iran's problems Press TV 20 Mar 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says tackling economic problems is Iran's top priority, stressing that the Resistance Economy is key to resolution of the country's economic woes.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Accuses US of Failing to Honor Nuclear Deal VOA 20 Mar 2016 -- Iran's Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says the United States has failed to fully honor a nuclear deal that lifts sanctions on Iran, and says many international companies continue to shy away from business with Tehran out of fear of U.S. reprisals.
- Iran missile tests not in breach of JCPOA, UN resolution: Zarif Press TV 16 Mar 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has once again reiterated that Tehran's ballistic missile tests do not violate the nuclear agreement it reached with the P5+1 group of countries and are not in breach of a United Nations Security Council resolution.
- Syria victorious in mini-world war: Iran official Press TV 15 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian people have so far been triumphant in the "mini-world war" waged by foreign parties in their country, a senior adviser to the Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, says.
- Iran's UN mission: Raising missile tests at UNSC contradicts JCPOA IRNA 15 Mar 2016 -- Iran's permanent representative at the United Nations in a statement said that raising of the issue of Islamic Republic's missile test in UNSC is contrary to the prevailing positive environment, and detrimental to the good-faith of the JCPOA.
- Intelligence minister: Full security prevailing in Iran IRNA 15 Mar 2016 -- Intelligence Minister Seyyed Mahmoud Alavi underlined that Iran is enjoying a sustainable security situation as compared with other regional countries.
- Iran missile tests don't violate nuclear agreement, EU says Press TV 15 Mar 2016 -- European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says Iran's recent ballistic missile tests do not violate its nuclear deal with the world powers.
- U.S., Russia Clash Over Iran Missile Tests At United Nations RFE/RL 15 Mar 2016 -- The United States and Russia clashed at a United Nations Security Council meeting on March 14 over whether Iran's test-firing of ballistic missiles last week violated a UN resolution.
- Oil Prices Plummet On Fear Iran Will Torpedo Output Freeze Plan RFE/RL 15 Mar 2016 -- Oil prices plummeted amid worries that the push for an output freeze by Russia and top OPEC producers could founder on opposition from Iran.
- Iran Insists Missile Launches Legal After US Urges International Response VOA 15 Mar 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Tuesday his country's missile tests last week did not violate the nuclear agreement Iran signed with a group of world powers last year.
- Zarif: Iran's missile tests no violation of nuclear deal IRNA 14 Mar 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated that Iran's missile tests is in no way a breach of its nuclear deal.
- Iran FM defends right to use missiles for defense Press TV 14 Mar 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has defended the country's right to use ballistic missiles, saying Iran's missiles are a means of defense.
- Russia opposes any sanctions on Iran over missile tests Press TV 14 Mar 2016 -- Russia opposes the imposition of any new sanctions on Iran over its recent ballistic missile tests, saying the missile launches did not violate UN resolutions.
- EU Considering Sanctions On Iran, Ties With Russia RFE/RL 14 Mar 2016 -- European Union foreign ministers are expected to discuss possible sanctions against Iran, as well as the bloc's relations with Russia, when they meet in Brussels on March 14.
- US to Continue Pushing for UNSC Response on Iran Missile Tests Sputnik 14 Mar 2016 -- US envoy to the United Nations Samantha Power said that Washington will continue to push the UN Security Council to assess Iran's recent ballistic tests.
- US Urges International Response on Iranian Missile Launch VOA 14 Mar 2016 -- The United States is urging U.N. Security Council members to respond to Iran for its recent ballistic missile launch.
- Iran may face sanctions over missile tests: France Press TV 13 Mar 2016 -- France says Iran may be targeted with new sanctions over its recent ballistic missile tests, to which the Islamic Republic says it is entitled because they fall within the realm of conventional military capabilities.
- Iran Rejects Russia-Saudi Oil Freeze Proposal RFE/RL 13 Mar 2016 -- Iran has said it has no plans to freeze its oil production, in a blow to a deal reached last month between Russia and Saudi Arabia to curb falling global oil prices.
- Iran to Involve All State Forces in Large Military Exercises Sputnik 13 Mar 2016 -- Iran intends to hold large-scale military exercises for all types of the national armed forces, the country's ground forces commander said on Sunday.
- Iran missile might impervious to sanctions, resolutions: Commander Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic will continue to augment its missile program even if it is targeted with fresh sanctions.
- Russia president signs decree on UN Iran resolution fulfillment Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree announcing his country's fulfillment of a United Nations Security Council resolution on Iran's nuclear program.
- Russia to ship first S-300 system to Iran in August-September Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Moscow says it is set to deliver Russian-made surface-to-air S-300 missile defense systems to Iran before the end of this year.
- Following missile launch, Ban calls on Iran not to increase tensions through 'hasty actions' UN News 10 Mar 2016 -- Following yesterday's ballistic missile launch conducted by Iran, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on the Government "to act with moderation, caution and the good sense not to increase tensions through any hasty actions."
- Iran IRGC supplied with dozens of speed boats IRNA 10 Mar 2016 -- Scores of fast boats developed by Iran's Defense Ministry Marine Industries Organization, have been delivered to the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) naval force.
- Iran to build fast battleships cruising at 80 knots p/h: General Press TV 10 Mar 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic plans to start building high-speed battleships that can cruise at 80 knots (approximately 150 kilometers) per hour.
- US intelligence service closely monitors Iran's missile might: Hajizadeh IRNA 10 Mar 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Aerospace Force Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said on Thursday that the US intelligence service is now closely monitoring Iran's missile program.
- Iran says missile test did not violate UN resolution People's Daily 10 Mar 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari said here Thursday that the country's recent missile launch does not violate a United Nations resolution.
- Enemies seek to sabotage missile program: IRGC Press TV 10 Mar 2016 -- A senior military commander says Iran's enemies are trying to sabotage its missile defense program, stressing that the program will not stop under any circumstances.
- Missile tests no violation of JCPOA, UN Resolution: Iran Press TV 10 Mar 2016 -- Iran says its latest launch of ballistic missiles does not violate the nuclear agreement it reached with the P5+1 group of countries and is not in contravention of a United Nations Security Council resolution.
- Iran Declares Missile Tests Comply With Nuclear Deals, UN Resolutions Sputnik 10 Mar 2016 -- Iran has officially notified all parties concerned that its missile tests do not run counter to nuclear agreements or UN resolutions, a military spokesman told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Tehran Insists Ballistic Missile Tests Don't Violate Iran Nuke Deal Sputnik 10 Mar 2016 -- Tehran's recent ballistic missile tests do not violate last summer's landmark nuclear deal reached with international mediators, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari said.
- Iran: Missile Tests Not Violation of Nuclear Deal VOA 10 Mar 2016 -- Iran said Thursday its ballistic missile program and the tests it conducted this week do not violate its commitments under a nuclear agreement reached last year with a group of six world powers.
- Iran Missile Launches Prompt Sanctions Push in US Congress VOA 10 Mar 2016 -- The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee told VOA that Iran's missile launches are sparking stronger resolve in Congress to renew and boost U.S. sanctions on Tehran.
- Iran test-fires two ballistic missiles during large-scale drills Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has successfully test-fired two ballistic missiles in line with the country's defense doctrine.
- Iran Launches Second Day of Ballistic Missile Tests VOA 09 Mar 2016 -- Iran says it launched two ballistic test missiles Wednesday, purportedly inscribing them with a message in Hebrew that 'Israel should be wiped from the pages of history.'
- IRGC commander: Enemies afraid of Iranian missiles' roar IRNA 08 Mar 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Tuesday that the enemies are now Shivering from the roar of Iranian missiles.
- Iran test-fires new missiles IRNA 08 Mar 2016 -- In the final stage of 'Velayat Strength' drills staged in several parts of the country on Tuesday, Iran test-fired new missiles.
- Israel within range of most Iran missiles: IRGC chief Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- The chief of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the Israeli occupied Palestinian territories are within the range of most of the Islamic Republic's missiles.
- IRGC holds final stage of missile drill Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- The Aerospace Division of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is holding the final stage of large-scale missile drills.
- Iran Claims Israeli-Occupied Palestine in Range of Tehran's Missiles Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- After concluding large-scale military drills on Tuesday, the head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) stressed that Tehran's missiles are capable of reaching Palestinian territories occupied by Israel.
- Iran Missile Tests If Confirmed 'Would Not Violate' Agreement - State Dept. Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- US Department of State spokesperson said that Iran's alleged ballistic missiles tests, even if confirmed, would not violate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) agreed on last July.
- Iran Tests Ballistic Missiles VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Iran said Tuesday it conducted ballistic missile tests at several sites across the country in order to show its 'deterrent power' and readiness to confront threats.
- Iran exports 32 tons of heavy water to US Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Iran on Tuesday announced that it had exported 32 tons of heavy water to the United States in what could be a landmark progress in the commercialization of the country's nuclear energy program.
- Iran, Russia urge diplomacy to settle Syria crisis Press TV 07 Mar 2016 -- Senior Iranian and Russian diplomats have once again reaffirmed the importance of settling the five-year-old crisis in Syria through political approaches.
- IAEA confirms Iran nuclear program non-deviation IRNA 07 Mar 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirmed the non-deviation of Iran's nuclear program of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231.
- IAEA Board of Governors meets with focus on Iran IRNA 07 Mar 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors is meeting in Vienna with focus on Iran nuclear issue.
- No sign of diversion of Iran nuclear material: IAEA Press TV 07 Mar 2016 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again reaffirmed the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program, saying the body has no indications of a diversion of nuclear material toward non-civilian purposes.
- Turkish Prime Minister Calls For 'Common Perspective' With Iran RFE/RL 05 Mar 2016 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says Ankara and Tehran must develop 'common perspectives' in order to end sectarian strife in the region.
- Nine Takeaways From Iran's Elections RFE/RL 04 Mar 2016 -- Iran's moderates and reformists have had nearly a week to celebrate their return from a decade of political marginalization in elections that recast the ranks of the parliament and the clerically dominated Assembly of Experts, which selects and oversees the supreme leader. But how much has really changed?
- Lebanon mulls Iran's military aid offer: Defense minister Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- The Lebanese defense minister says he will ask the government to take Iran's past offers of military support seriously after Saudi Arabia's recent decision to retract $4 billion in military aid.
- Iran to unveil Karrar tank in coming days: Senior commander Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic is set to unveil a domestically-manufactured battle tank in coming days.
- Hezbollah embodiment of anti-terror fight: Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- Iran has condemned a decision by the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council to blacklist Lebanon's Hezbollah, saying the resistance movement is in fact a "potent symbol" of struggles against terror and Israeli occupation.
- GCC branding of Hezbollah as terrorist a new mistake: Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- Iran says a decision by Persian Gulf Arab states to brand Lebanon's Hezbollah as a terrorist group is a 'new mistake' that will undermine peace in the region and unity in Lebanon.
- House Panel Accuses Assad, Russia, Iran of War Crimes in Syria VOA 02 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday unanimously passed two resolutions to increase pressure on the Obama administration to do more to stop Islamic State terrorists and to help the people of Syria.
- US Intel: Iran Likely to Develop More Lethal Missiles With Sanctions Easing Sputnik 02 Mar 2016 -- Iran is expected to accelerate its ballistic missile development with the end of most sanctions, by producing rockets with greater range and accuracy, US Defense Intelligence Agency Director Vincent Stewart told the US House of Representatives Armed Services Committee on Wednesday.
- Iran's Future Leadership: Not Just Up To 'Experts' VOA 01 Mar 2016 -- The issue of succession to the supreme leadership is generally a taboo subject in Iran. It probably would not have been discussed at all in recent weeks if the current supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, hadn't alluded to his inevitable demise in a speech last September.
- Iran Navy flotilla docks at Tanzania port Press TV 01 Mar 2016 -- An Iranian Navy fleet has docked at Tanzania's Port city of Dar es Salaam in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in high seas.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list