Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2014 - Iran Special Weapons News
- US Pushing for Tehran's Missile Program in Multilateral Nuclear Deal RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2014 -- Tehran's missile program should be a part of the final agreement between the six world powers and Iran, Wendy Sherman, the lead US negotiator in the discussions and US under secretary of state for political affairs, said during a House Foreign Affairs Committee meeting.
- Iran to unveil new radar, missile systems in September Iran Press TV 28 Jul 2014 -- The commander of Iran's Air Defense Force says the country plans to unveil new missile and radar systems in late September.
- Iran to launch 10 new refineries in S. Pars gas field ISNA 27 Jul 2014 -- Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh said 10 new refineries are expected to come on-stream in South Pars region in the south of the country.
- Iran's South Pars exports rise by 49% ISNA 27 Jul 2014 -- Iran's year-on-year exports from the South Pars natural gas field increased 49 percent in the last Persian calendar month (ended July 22), an Iranian Customs official said.
- Tehran to Continue Supporting Stability, Security in Iraq - Iranian President RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2014 -- Iran is interested in stability and security in Iraq and is determined to further assist its development, Mehr news agency reported Saturday citing Iran's President Hassan Rouhani.
- Sanctions fail to cut Iran gas output: EIA ISNA 26 Jul 2014 -- The US Energy Information Administration (EIA) admitted that international sanctions have failed to stop Iran's natural gas production growth.
- Iranian Satellite Jamming Causes Storm Of Controversy RFE/RL 23 Jul 2014 -- The Iranian regime has long used signal jamming to disrupt the flow of information into the Islamic republic, but it couldn't have forecast the strategy's deadly consequences.
- Iran to West: You don't have eternity for nuclear deal ISNA 23 Jul 2014 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the P5+1 group has no "everlasting chance" to reach a final agreement with Iran over its nuclear energy program.
- Iran, P5+1 to resume nuclear talks in September: Tehran Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2014 -- Iran and the P5+1 will resume their negotiations to discuss ways to reach a final agreement over Tehran's nuclear energy program in September, Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham says.
- IAEA: Iran Turns its Enriched Uranium Into Less Harmful Form VOA 21 Jul 2014 -- Iran has converted its stockpiles of enriched uranium into a less dangerous format that is more difficult to use for nuclear weapons, according to the United Nations' Atomic Energy Agency. The move complies with an interim deal reached with Western powers on Iran's nuclear program last year, in exchange for easing of sanctions.
- IAEA confirms Iran's commitment to interim nuclear deal Iran Press TV 20 Jul 2014 -- Iran has complied with the interim nuclear accord clinched between Tehran and the P5+1 over Iran's nuclear energy program, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says in a new report.
- US to Allow Iran Access $2.8 Bln Of Frozen Assets During Extension Period Of Nuclear Talks RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2014 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry announced Saturday that the United States will grant Iran access to $2.8 billion of its frozen assets during the four-month extension period of nuclear talks with six powers.
- Iran, World Powers Agree to Extend Nuclear Talks VOA 18 Jul 2014 -- World powers and Iran have agreed to extend a deadline for reaching an agreement aimed at limiting Iran's nuclear program until mid-November, citing progress made, but nowhere near enough to reach a deal.
- Extension of Iran Nuclear Talks US Dept. of State 18 Jul 2014
- Iran-P5+1 discuss extension of nuclear talks deadline Iran Press TV 18 Jul 2014 -- Representatives from Iran and six world powers have met again to discuss extending the July 20 deadline for a permanent accord on Tehran's nuclear energy program.
- Iran not yet agreed to nuclear talks extension: Zarif Iran Press TV 16 Jul 2014 -- Iran's foreign minister says the Islamic Republic has not yet agreed to the extension of the ongoing nuclear talks with the Sextet of world powers beyond the July 20 deadline.
- July 15, 2014 - Press Availability in Vienna, Austria by John Kerry, Secretary of State US Dept. of State 15 Jul 2014
- Progress Cited, but No Accord in Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 15 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is heading back to Washington three days of talks with Iran in Vienna, as Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called for extended negotiations if a deal with world powers is not achieved by the July 20 deadline.
- Iranian Navy flotilla docks in Omani port ISNA 15 Jul 2014 -- The 30th Flotilla of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy docked in Omani Salalah Port.
- F-4 jet crash kills two Iran airmen Iran Press TV 15 Jul 2014 -- An F-4 Phantom fighter jet, operated by Iran's Air Force, has crashed in southern Iran, leaving both pilot and copilot dead.
- Kerry Meets Iran's Zarif In Vienna Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 14 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, are meeting in Vienna as talks over Iran's nuclear program continue.
- Significant gaps remain in nuclear talks: Araqchi Iran Press TV 13 Jul 2014 -- A top Iranian nuclear negotiator says significant disagreements remain in the ongoing talks between Iran and the P5+1 aimed at reaching a comprehensive agreement on Tehran's nuclear energy program.
- U.S., Iran Warn Major Disputes Remain At Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 13 Jul 2014 -- The United States and Iran are both warning that major disputes remain in the Vienna talks over Iran's nuclear program.
- No Breakthrough In Iran Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 13 Jul 2014 -- There appeared to be no breakthrough in talks between world powers and Iran, a week before the deadline to strike a landmark nuclear deal.
- No Breakthrough in Key Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 13 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and three European foreign ministers failed to achieve a breakthrough in nuclear talks with Iran's foreign minister Sunday in Vienna. Working-level talks will continue, but the two sides remain far apart on central issues.
- Background Briefing on P5+1 Negotiations US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2014
- AEOI chief optimistic about Iran's nuclear talks Iran Press TV 11 Jul 2014 -- Director of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi has expressed optimism about the prospect of the nuclear talks between Tehran and the Sextet of powers.
- Iran Denies Sending Russian Fighter Jets to Iraq - Reports RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2014 -- The Iranian authorities have denied reports saying the country sent three Russian Sukhoi Su-25 jets to Iraq, Mehr news agency said Wednesday citing a representative of Iran's Foreign Ministry Marzieh Afkham.
- Iran Sends Three Russian Attack Aircraft to Iraq to Fight Militants RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2014 -- The Iranian authorities have sent three Russian Sukhoi Su-25 jets to Iraq to be used to fight militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), the New York Times reported, citing sources in the administrations of the US and Iraq.
- Bushehr N. plant no. 1 reaches full capacity after fuel reload ISNA 09 Jul 2014 -- Reactor No. 1 of the Bushehr nuclear power plant has reached its full capacity after a scheduled fuel reload and planned maintenance, NIAEP-ASE, a joint company formed by the Nizhny Novgorod Engineering Company Atomenergoproekt and Atomstroyexport, said.
- Iran determined to reach nuclear deal but not at any cost Iran Press TV 09 Jul 2014 -- Iran says it is determined to reach a comprehensive nuclear agreement with the six world powers, but 'not at any cost.'
- Bushehr 1st reactor reaches full capacity: Russia Iran Press TV 09 Jul 2014 -- Reactor number one of the Bushehr nuclear power plant in southern Iran has reached its full capacity after a scheduled fuel reload and planned maintenance, an affiliated company of the Russian contractor of the facility says.
- Iran not to compromise on N-rights: FM Iran Press TV 09 Jul 2014 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Iranian negotiating team will not compromise on the nation's rights in the course of talks with six world powers over Tehran's nuclear energy program.
- Iran accepts no limits to nuclear research: Official Iran Press TV 09 Jul 2014 -- Tehran will not accept any restrictions on the research and development (R&D) work in its peaceful nuclear energy program, an Iranian official says.
- No Iranian Regulars on Ground in Iraq, Pentagon Spokesman Says AFPS 08 Jul 2014 -- There are no indications that Iran has regular military forces on the ground inside Iraq, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said today during a Pentagon news conference.
- Iran needs 190.000 enrichment SWUs for N. plant annual fuel ISNA 08 Jul 2014 -- Iran needs 190.000 enrichment Separative Work Units (SWUs) to meet Bushehr nuclear power plant's annual fuel, said Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi.
- Iran Supreme Leader Says Tehran Needs 190,000 Centrifuges for Nuclear Program RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2014 -- Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tehran's nuclear program requires 190,000 centrifuges to be realized, AFP reported Tuesday.
- Iranian Pilot Killed in Iraq Defending Shrine VOA 06 Jul 2014 -- An Iranian pilot was killed defending Shi'ite Muslim holy sites in neighboring Iraq, Iran's state news agency said, in the first official report of an Iranian death related to an upsurge in violence there since June.
- Iran, G5+1 wrap up opening session of sixth round of talks in Vienna IRNA 03 Jul 2014 -- The opening session of sixth round of talks between Iran and Group 5+1 wrapped up here on Thursday morning.
- Iran Deputy FM: No agreement with G5+1, if Iran's red lines not met ISNA 03 Jul 2014 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister said the country would not reach a deal with the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany if Iran's 'red lines' are not observed.
- Iran-P5+1 resume nuclear talks in Vienna Iran Press TV 03 Jul 2014 -- Iran and six world powers have resumed talks over Tehran's nuclear energy program in the Austrian capital, Vienna.
- Background Briefing on the P5+1/Iran Discussions US Dept. of State 03 Jul 2014
- No Russian pilots to participate in military operations in Iraq - Russian ambassador VoR 02 Jul 2014 -- Despite the fact that the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIS) recently declared the creation of the Islamic Caliphate, Russia's ambassador to Iraq Ilya Morgunov told remains convinced that the Islamic militants won't be able to take Baghdad and that they pose no significant threat the Russian companies in Iraq. During his interview with RIA Novosti he said that Russian companies had no presence in the territories seized by Islamic militants.
- Iran will help Iraq if requested: Top official Iran Press TV 02 Jul 2014 -- A spokesperson for the Iranian administration says Iran will help Iraq fight the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) Takfiri militants, if requested by the Iraqi government.
- Excessive demands would hinder nuclear talks: Iran Iran Press TV 02 Jul 2014 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says any excessive demands by the P5+1 group would be a stumbling block to progress in negotiations over Tehran's nuclear energy program.
- Iran seeks deal to safeguard nuclear rights: Araqchi Iran Press TV 01 Jul 2014 -- Iran seeks to reach a "fair and rational" nuclear agreement with six world powers which will safeguard the rights of the Iranian nation as a main priority, a senior Iranian nuclear negotiator says.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list