Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- India's fuel reprocessing capacity to be enhanced: AEC IRNA 31 Aug 2011 -- India's fuel reprocessing capacity will be enhanced several folds to meet the needs of the indigenously designed Fast Breeder Reactors.
- The bright side of the delayed frigate delivery to India RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2011 -- India has announced that Russia delayed its delivery of three frigates to the Indian Navy by over a year.
- Indian Air Force lost 46 fighters in 7 years IRNA 25 Aug 2011 -- Indian Air Force has in all lost 46 fighter aircraft in little less than seven years since 2005.
- Indian Navy commissioned fast attack warship INS Karuva IRNA 25 Aug 2011 -- Indian Navy commissioned highly maneuverable fast attack warship INS Karuva at the Eastern Naval Command at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
- Indian space agency to launch 3 nano spacecraft with Megha-Tropiques IRNA 25 Aug 2011 -- Indian Space Research Organisation plans to launch three nano satellites and an advanced weather and climate research satellite.
- Routine Interactions Build U.S-India Defense Relations AFPS 24 Aug 2011 -- The U.S.-India defense relationship is a natural partnership created by shared interests and values.
- Kashmir gun battle in 5th day, toll mounts to 14 IRNA 24 Aug 2011 -- Intermittent firing between Indian army and trapped militants in a forested area along dividing military line of control in north Kashmir was on for the fifth day.
- India's nuke plants safe, world-class: Prime Minister IRNA 24 Aug 2011 -- India’s PM Singh assured the Parliament that nuclear facilities in the country were 'world-class.'
- Indian PM emphasizes safety standards in nuclear energy uses IRNA 22 Aug 2011 -- Indian PM Singh said that nuclear energy will play an important role in India's quest for clean and environment-friendly energy.
- B'desh, India ink strip maps to demarcate international border IRNA 22 Aug 2011 -- Bangladesh and India have inked strip maps to demarcate over 4,000-kilometre international border between the two neighbours in a bid to settle the long-standing frontier-related discord.
- Interview: U.S. Special Envoy Marc Grossman On India-Pakistan Relations And Afghanistan's Future RFE/RL 20 Aug 2011 -- Marc Grossman, the U.S. senior representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, recently sat down at the State Department in Washington with Voice of America's Lina Rozbih to discuss a wide range of regional issues, from the future of Al-Qaeda and the Haqqani network to India-Pakistan relations and the recent instability in Afghanistan as the United States begins to draw down its troops.
- Indian Navy's second indigenous stealth frigate commissioned IRNA 20 Aug 2011 -- Indian Navy's second indigenous stealth frigate, INS Satpura, was commissioned at Mumbai today.
- Indian Navy unveils second 'stealth-like' frigate RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2011 -- The Indian Navy put into service its second 'stealth-like' frigate on Saturday, IANC news agency reported citing the Navy's press service.
- New stealth fighter jet 'principal' for Russia, India RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2011 -- Russia's new stealth fighter jet, which is expected to make its first public appearance at the MAKS exhibition near Moscow on Tuesday, will be the principal plane for both the Russian and Indian military, a top official says.
- Indian Defence Minister asks armed forces to take special care of human rights IRNA 14 Aug 2011 -- In the backdrop of allegations of fake encounter levelled against armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir, Defence Minister A K Antony Sunday asked them to perform their duties with utmost caution and ensure human rights are not violated in the state and the northeast.
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India by yearend RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2011 -- Russia's MiG aircraft maker will deliver a final batch of five MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighters to the Indian Navy under a 2004 contract by the end of this year, the company said.
- User trial of BrahMos Block-III missile successful IRNA 12 Aug 2011 -- India successfully conducted the user trial of BrahMos Block-III supersonic cruise missiles.
- Indian BrahMos cruise missile test launch successful RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2011 -- Indian ground forces successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
- Indian Air Force to phase out MiG-21 fighter aircraft IRNA 08 Aug 2011 -- Indian Air Force will phase out MiG-21 fighter aircraft by 2017 and replaced by modern fighter aircraft such as Su-30MKI and indigenous LCA.
- India upgrades 51 Mirage 2000 aircraft IRNA 04 Aug 2011 -- The upgrade of the 51 Mirage 2000 aircraft in the Indian Air Force (IAF) fleet will be completed within the next ten years, said India's Defence Minister, A K Antony.
- Indian Air Force Jaguar fighter aircraft crashes, pilot, girl killed IRNA 04 Aug 2011 -- A Jaguar fighter aircraft of Indian Air Force (IAF) today crashed in Dilahi Firozpur village in Mau district of Uttar Pradesh state, killing its pilot and a girl working in a field, the second IAF plane to meet with an accident this week.
- Russia's MiG starts on new batch of carrier fighters for Indian Navy RIA Novosti 03 Aug 2011 -- Russia's MiG aircraft corporation has launched production of a new batch of MiG29K/KUB carrier fighters for the Indian Navy, a MiG spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Indian Air Force fighter crashes, pilot dies IRNA 02 Aug 2011 -- A MiG-21 fighter aircraft of Indian Air Froce (IAF) crashed on Tuesday soon after taking off from Naal airfield in Rajasthan's Bikaner district killing the pilot.
- Four contract workers exposed to radiation at India's nuke plant IRNA 02 Aug 2011 -- Four contract workers were exposed to radiation at a nuclear power unit at Kakrapara in Gujarat state, with the plant operator maintaining that the exposure was lower than that which can cause adverse health effects.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list