Ukraine Snake Island Flag - Buy it Here!


Kashmir gun battle in 5th day, toll mounts to 14

IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency

Srinagar, India, Aug 24, IRNA -- Intermittent firing between Indian army and trapped militants in a forested area along dividing military line of control in north Kashmir was on for the fifth day and latest reports said one more militant died in the fighting today taking the death toll to 14.

Twelve militants and an army lieutenant were killed in the wee hours of Saturday when according to army, a large number of militants infiltrated into Indian side via Kishenganga also called Neelum river along the LoC near in Gurez Sector.

Official sources said that one more militant was killed in the gunfight with troops of 15th Battalion of the Maratha Light Infantry on Tuesday. The intermittent firing between the two sides was on when reports last came late on Tuesday, they added.

Army on Saturday said it intercepted a group of militants when they were trying to cross the Kishanganga River in a pneumatic boat. Later an encounter ensued and twelve militants and a commissioned officer, Lieutenant Navdeep Singh, were killed and two other soldiers were injured.

A defense ministry spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar said troops guarding the LoC and deployed within the five km border belt are conducting almost daily operations in their area of operations to make sure that no militant infiltrates into this side.

Meanwhile two unidentified militants were killed in two separate encounters in forested areas of Handwara in Kupwara district, a police spokesman said.

The spokesman said that one unknown militant was killed in an encounter with the joint team of Army and police at Dard Haji area of Handwara today.

The encounter, the spokesman said had broken out on the intervening night of August 21-22, after the joint team cordoned off a hut where the militants were hiding.

Earlier, a woman was killed while her relative was injured in the first exchange of fire.

Another unidentified militant, the spokesman said, was killed with the joint team in the area.

The spokesman said that acting on a specific information about the presence of militants, Police and Army’s 6 RR this afternoon launched Operation to flush out the hiding militants in the forest area of Lachipora,.

“The advance party was fired upon, triggering an encounter, in the ensuing encounter, one unidentified militant got killed. The operation was still going on,” the spokesman said.

“Further details were awaited,” he added.

Join the mailing list