Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 1999 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- NORTH KOREA FOOD Voice of America 28 APRIL 1999 -- NORTH KOREA HAS APPARENTLY RUN OUT OF FOOD FROM ITS LAST HARVEST AND IS NOW DISTRIBUTING EDIBLE ROOTS AND BARK. BUT HE SAYS THE OVERALL SITUATION SEEMS BETTER THAN IT WAS LAST YEAR.
- NORTH KOREAN THREAT Voice of America 28 APRIL 1999 -- A NEW BOOK SUGGESTS THE NORTH KOREANS
ARE USING NEGOTIATIONS AS A PRETEXT WHILE THEY PREPARE FOR A POSSIBLE WAR. THE AUTHOR'S VIEWS AT A RECENT WASHINGTON CONFERENCE AND SOME OPPOSING ONES.
- TEXT: KOREA FOUR-PARTY TALKS APRIL 27 JOINT PRESS STATEMENTUSIA 27 April 1999 -- The fifth plenary session of the Korea Four Party Talks, chaired by the United States, concluded April 27 with an agreement by the parties to consider and fashion measures to reduce tension on the Korean Peninsula during their next round of talks.
- TRANSCRIPT: APRIL 27 BACKGROUND BRIEFING ON NORTH KOREA TALKSUSIA 27 April 1999 -- The fifth plenary session of the Korea Four Party Talks resulted in "a great deal of frank and serious discussion" of difficult issues relating to the reduction of tensions on the Korean Peninsula, according to a senior State Department official speaking on background April 27.
- KOREA TALKS Voice of America 28 APRIL 1999 --A FIFTH ROUND OF FOUR-PARTY TALKS ON KOREA HAS WRAPPED UP WITH NO SIGNS OF PROGRESS HAVING BEEN MADE IN ACHIEVING A PERMANENT PEACE IN THE KOREAN PENINSULA.
- NORTH KOREA/FAMINE Voice of America 27 APRIL 1999 -- THE UNITED NATIONS WORLD FOOD PROGRAM SAYS NORTH KOREA HAS RUN OUT OF FOOD FROM THE LAST HARVEST. THE COUNTRY'S GENERAL DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM,WILL HAVE NO MORE FOOD AVAILABLE AGAIN FOR ABOUT TWO MORE MONTHS.
- Weekly On North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service April 19 - April 25, 1999
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY FOREIGN MINISTER OF DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF KOREA United Nations 25 Apr 1999
- KOREA TALKS Voice of America 24 APRIL 1999 -- A FIFTH ROUND OF FOUR-PARTY TALKS AIMED AT ACHIEVING A PERMANENT PEACE IN THE KOREAN PENINSULA HAS BEGUN IN GENEVA. DELEGATES ARRIVING FOR THE MEETING DAMPENED EXPECTATIONS FOR MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH IN THIS ROUND OF NEGOTIATIONS SAYING SUCH A COMPLEX MATTER REQUIRES PATIENCE.
- U-N / NORTH KOREA FOOD Voice of America 23 APRIL 1999 -- THE WORLD FOOD PROGRAM LAUNCHED AN APPEAL TODAY FOR 260 MILLION DOLLARS TO PROVIDE MORE FOOD AID TO NORTH KOREA.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME United Nations 23 Apr 1999
- TEXT: USAID PRESS RELEASE ON NORTH KOREA POTATO PROJECT 22 April 1999 -- The United States and North Korea have reached an agreement on a potato production project in North Korea, according to an April 22 press release from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
- Weekly On North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service April 6 - April 18, 1999
- TEXT: FIFTH ROUND OF KOREA FOUR-PARTY TALKS TO CONVENE APRIL 24 13 April 1999 -- The United States, China, the Republic of Korea (ROK), and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) have agreed to
convene the Fifth Plenary of the Four Party Talks to reduce tensions on the Korean Peninsula in Geneva beginning April 24, 1999.
- THE CONTINUING CRISIS IN NORTH KOREA Voice of America 10 April 1999 -- NORTH KOREA, ONE OF THE LAST COMMUNIST REGIMES IN THE WORLD, IS IN ITS FOURTH YEAR OF FAMINE. AN ESTIMATED TWO MILLION PEOPLE HAVE DIED OF HUNGER AND DISEASE. BUT THE CRISIS HAS NOT SLOWED NORTH KOREA'S EFFORTS TO ACQUIRE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. AMONG OTHER THINGS, DESPITE AN ACCORD NEGOTIATED WITH THE U.S. IN 1994 TO CEASE ITS NUCLEAR WEAPONS PROGRAM, PYONGYANG HAS INVESTED HEAVILY IN A SUSPECTED NUCLEAR WEAPONS PLANT IN KUMCHANG-NI.
- Weekly On North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service March 29 - April 5, 1999
- TEXT: DAS EINHORN 4/2 REMARKS ON NORTH KOREA MISSILE TALKS 02 April 1999 -- If North Korea continues with its provocative missile program, that course of action will have "serious negative consequences" for North Korea's relations with the United States, according to Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Nonproliferation Robert Einhorn.
- NORTH KOREA/FAMINE Voice of America 02 April 1999 -- THE UNITED NATIONS IS RENEWING ITS APPEAL TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY FOR FOOD AID TO BELEAGUERED NORTH KOREA -- SAYING THE FOOD SITUATION THERE IS NOT GETTING ANY BETTER.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list