SU-100P (Obiekt 105)
After the end of the Great Patriotic War, work on the creation of self-propelled artillery pieces continued in various Soviet design bureaus. The design of medium-sized self-propelled guns was assigned to Uralmashzavod.
In accordance with the decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of April 9, 1947, the design department No. 3 of OKB-3 Uralmashzavod received a task for experimental design work on a self-propelled gun designed to equip artillery regiments of tank divisions in exchange for light SU-76M. The work was carried out under the leadership of the chief designer L.I.Gorlitsky.
Refined tactical and technical requirements were formalized by a resolution of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of June 22, 1948. However, the work went slowly. The fact is that in 1945-1946 some of the employees of the Uralmashzavod design bureau who were evacuated from Leningrad and Stalingrad in 1941 returned to their homeland. Due to the lack of experienced personnel and the dispersion of their forces in a large volume of work, a lag behind the schedule for designing and manufacturing prototypes arose. The situation was also complicated by the fact that in KB the idea was born of creating a new original base for self-propelled guns for the long term. At the stage of development work, the new machine received the designation "object 105".
Since the fall of 1948, factory tests of the prototype were carried out, and in October 1949, "Object 105" was presented for state tests. Self-propelled guns could not stand them due to defects in the chassis and transmission. This was followed by a long process of refinement, refinement, which ended in 1954 with military tests of ten vehicles of the installation party in the 4th Guards Kantemirovskaya Tank Division of the Moscow Military District. According to the results of these tests, by decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of February 26, 1955, the installation was adopted by the Soviet Army under the designation SU-100P.
An experimental batch of SU-100P was manufactured at Uralmashzavod in the amount of 14 vehicles and, starting in June 1953, under the leadership of the new chief designer G.S. Efimov carried out the refinement of the installation.
SU-100P belonged to a semi-closed type self-propelled guns with a stern arrangement of a fighting compartment. In bad weather, the fighting compartment of the self-propelled guns could be closed with an awning. The mechanical transmission located in the front of the case consisted of a multi-disk main clutch, a two-line gear and turn mechanism (MPP), and two single-stage final drives. The gearbox (gearbox) - two-shaft, provided six “speeds” forward and two - back. At higher gears, conical inertial synchronizers were installed. The use of dual-flow MPP allowed to obtain the estimated turning radius in each gear. In addition, in the neutral position, the gearbox allowed an unstable turn in place due to the opposite rotation of the tracks. MPP used belt brakes with cast-iron lining and its own lubrication system.
The heart of the vehicle was a 12-cylinder V-shaped four-stroke diesel V-105 with a capacity of 400 hp. (294 kW) - was installed longitudinally, with an offset to the starboard side. The engine was started by electric starter or compressed air, in winter - with the help of a nozzle heater. The capacity of the three fuel tanks was 400 liters. In the engine compartment to the right of the engine were a cooling system unit with a fan and an oil tank for the lubrication system.
To the left of the engine is a control compartment with a driver’s workstation. In the roof of the control compartment there was a landing hatch in front of which two prismatic TPV monitoring devices were mounted. Instead of the left device, the night vision device TVN-1 could be installed. In the special compartment behind the driver, there were batteries and cylinders of the engine air start system. Above the special compartment there was a manhole, with which the driver could get into the fighting compartment.
A 100-mm rifled gun D-50 with a barrel length of 59.3 caliber, developed at OKB No. 9 in Sverdlovsk under the leadership of F.F. Petrov based on a 100-mm tank gun D-10. The device of the barrel, ballistics and ammunition remained unchanged. The gun had a muzzle brake and a horizontal wedge semi-automatic shutter.
Guidance tools in vertical and horizontal planes was carried out using manual mechanical drives. In the horizontal sector with an angle of 18 degrees, the vertical pointing angles ranged from -4 to +37 degrees; in a sector with an angle of 40 degrees - from -4 to +29 degrees and in a sector with an angle of 154 degrees - from -4 to +10 degrees. With vertically mounted side armor plates of the fighting compartment, the horizontal guidance angle did not exceed 18 degrees. The shot could be carried out using both electric and mechanical triggers.
Combat rate of fire - from 4 to 6 rds / min. The maximum firing range from closed positions is 14,800 meters, direct fire - 6,900 meters. When firing from closed positions, the S-71-5 panoramic sight was used, and the direct telescope used the OP-2-5 telescopic sight. To aim the gun in a horizontal plane, the upper side sheets of the hull in the area of the fighting compartment were installed horizontally. The gun was equipped with a box-shaped shield, in the roof of which the commander’s observation device TPK-1 was installed on the right. The shield was welded from armor plates with a thickness of 6 to 15 mm.
The ammunition of the gun included 50 unit rounds with armor-piercing and high-explosive fragmentation shells and was located in the aft part of the fighting compartment in special armored cabinets, providing convenient and quick access to ammunition. The armor protection of the machine is bulletproof. The maximum thickness of the armor plates of the hull did not exceed 25 mm.
The chassis for one side consisted of six road wheels and three support rollers, a drive wheel and a guide wheel. Suspension - individual, torsion bar. In the suspension nodes of the first and sixth road wheels, hydraulic piston shock absorbers are installed. To limit the stroke of the balancers from the first to the third and fifth nodes of the suspension, stops were installed with buffer springs, and there were two springs on the first node of the suspension. Used tracks with rubber mount (RMS) sequential type. The engagement is foregrip.
The engine, transmission and chassis allowed the car weighing 21.6 tons to develop a speed of 65 km / h on the highway. Cruising range - 325 km. The crew consisted of five people. For external communication, a radio station 10 RT-26 was used, for internal communication - TPU-47-3, as well as a light signaling between the commander and the driver.
In 1956, they began to develop a modernized self-propelled gun SU-100PM. A prototype of this self-propelled guns was made in 1958. Its distinctive feature has become widespread use in the transmission of units and assemblies made of light alloys based on aluminum and titanium. For firing at night, the machine received the APN-3 "Apple Tree" night sight, whose IR illuminator was mounted above the gun’s barrel. In the same year, by decision of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, work on the self-propelled gun SU-100P was stopped.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|