Red Fleet Shipbuilding - First Five-Year Plan (1928-32)
The Soviet Armed Forces were created by the Communist Party to protect the gains of the Great October Socialist Revolution against the encroachments of international imperialism and internal counterrevolution. Construction of the Armed Forces of the Soviet state was carried out under the leadership of the Central Committee of the Communist Party headed by Lenin. Paying great attention to secure the defense of the Soviet state not only on land but also the sea, the party attached great importance to the construction of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Fleet.
Domestic restoration and planned development of the Workers' and Peasants' Red Fleet (Russian: Raboche-Krest'yansky Krasny Flot or RKKF) was on the agenda of the Xth Congress of the Communist Party. A special decree on this issue was based on the actual possibilities of industrial and economic base of the Soviet state.
The first period of construction of the Navy of the Soviet power, which began after the Congress and ending in 1928, created a platform that helped to move the construction of new warships. A decisive role in restoring the ship of the fleet and its coastal defense, air force bases, and played a communist sailors, sailors who came to the fleet for the first Komsomol recruitment, and sailors who served at that time on ships and in parts of RKKF.
As is well known, the XIV Congress of the Party put forward in December 1925 as the central task of socialist industrialization of the country ensuring the economic independence of the Soviet state, to strengthen its defense capability and create the necessary conditions for the victory of socialism in the USSR. Since the XIV Congress significantly increased the volume and pace of reconstruction and commissioning of combat and auxiliary ships, the RKKF initiated the development of an ambitious program of naval shipbuilding. The program in 1926 included the completion of the ships laid down at the end of World War I, and the construction of the first Soviet submarine type "Decembrist" patrol craft of the "Hurricane" and the torpedo boats of the experimental types. Developed in accordance with the decree of the USSR Revolutionary Military Council in May 1928, the new program included the construction of naval shipbuilding in the first five-year number of new warships.
By 1928 the restoration of the fleet was basically completed, and a period of technical reconstruction began. The achievements of industry allowed proceeding to the construction of new ships. Due to concern of the Party and the selfless labor of workers, engineers and naval fleet was supplemented by submarines, torpedo boats, destroyers and other modern ships, built at domestic refineries for projects developed by Soviet designers, worthy successors of the famous Russian scientists and inventors - MV University, Makarov, A. Popov, AN Krylov, IG Bubnov, and many others. In 1930, in connection with the growing military threat XVI Congress reiterated the need to further strengthen the defense of the USSR, the power of the Red Army, naval and air fleets.
Due to the concerns of the Party Central Committee and the rapid development of industrial and economic base of the Soviet Union Armed Forces of the Soviet Union in general and the Navy in particular, quickly equipped with modern combat equipment. In 1932, by decision of the Party Central Committee and the Soviet government began the creation of new shipbuilding companies, including the Far East and the North. In the same year the Pacific Fleet was founded, and in 1933 - the Northern Fleet.
Continuing development of views on the strategic and tactical use of naval forces of the Red Army in the second half of the 1920's and early 1930s made it possible to establish reasonable requirements for its construction during the second Five-Year Plan. The basis of the development plan of the Naval Forces of the Red Army at this period formed the task - a reliable defense of the borders of the Soviet state on the four major maritime theaters.
Neither the "six-year" program (1926) nor the so-called program of the First Five-Year Plan (1929) by 1933 was fully implemented. Because of the reduction in allocations for military shipbuilding in 1929 and difficulties in the work of industry, it was possible, and partly, to modernize only two battleships, while refusing to repair the battleship Frunze (Poltava) and build a monitor. Of the new ships, according to the official report, seven submarines, eight patrol vessels and 59 torpedo boats with a total displacement of 11,700 tons with the capacity of the main mechanisms of 167,000 liters were commissioned in 1929-1932.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|