Arkhangelsk, located on the delta of the Dvina River as it enters the White Sea, is the oldest seaport in Russia. It is also a major port, provincial capital, and the largest city on the Russian Arctic Coast. Arkhangelsk is icebound up to 190 days annually, so icebreakers are used to maintain shipping traffic.
Located about 30 miles across the delta of the Northern Dvina River from the city of Arkhangelsk is Sverodvinsk, home to the world's largest shipyard. Severodvinsk was built to make the Northern Fleet independent of the Baltic shipyards and serves as the principal Russian shipyard for the Northern Fleet. The leading branch of the economy of Severodvinsk is shipbuilding and ship repair. The basis of the economic potential is JSC “PO“ Sevmash ”, JSC“ CS “Zvezdochka”, JSC “SPA“ Arktika ”on the basis of which the Northern Center of Shipbuilding and Ship Repair of the United Shipbuilding Corporation was established. The shipbuilding enterprises employ 38,800 people (44% of the population employed in the economy of the city). The share of shipbuilding in industrial output of the Arkhangelsk region is about 25%. Food production, construction materials production, furniture production, publishing and printing activities are developed in Severodvinsk.
The town-forming enterprises of Severodvinsk, developing military themes, produce a wide range of high-tech civilian products: vessels of various classes and purposes, offshore platforms and drilling rigs for oil and gas production on the Arctic shelf, experimental power units, transport packaging containers for spent nuclear fuel, propellers, equipment for various industries and national economy.
Severodvinsk was an inspectable SLBM facility under the START-1 agreement. It is one of two SLBM loading facilities -- the other is located at Okol'naya. The United States and the Soviet Union signed the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) on 31 July 1991. When START entered into force on 05 December 1994, the signatories began to implement the Treaty's complex set of intrusive inspection and verification measures. As part of START's verification provisions, each signatory was required to declare all facilities related to ICBMs, submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), and heavy bombers. The former Soviet Union (FSU) has declared over five dozen START-inspectable sites in all categories, including five SLBM facilities and six submarine facilities.
Severodvinsk is a second largest city in the Archangelsk region, with a population of 240,000 people. The city, about 650 miles north of Moscow, was built in the 1930s to support Stalin's naval ship-building program. Construction of the city began in June 1936 on the deserted banks of the Severnaya Dvina (North Dvina) River by thousands of prisoners. The new city was named Molotovsk on 11 August 1938. By the start of the Great Patriotic War the city housed 40,000 people. A sea port opened in December 1941, more than a half of the cargo received through lend-lease from England and the US was going to Archangelsk was actually unloaded in Molotovsk. Molotovsk was renamed Severodvinsk in 1957.
Severodvinsk - a city of regional subordination, the leading industrial center of the Arkhangelsk region and North-West Russia, is located 35 kilometers west of Arkhangelsk on the coast of the White Sea. Founded as a satellite city of the largest shipbuilding complex in the country. The territory of the municipality "Severodvinsk", which includes nearby settlements, is 119,349 ha. The area of the city itself is 12,051 ha.
As of January 1, 2017, the resident population of the Severodvinsk municipality was 185,100 people: 184,000 of them are residents of the city of Severodvinsk; 1,100 people live in rural areas. In annual average, the number of labor resources in Severodvinsk in 2016 amounted to 112,900 people, of which 89,000 people are employed in the city’s economy (48% of the total permanent population).
On the territory of Severodvinsk, there are 731 trade enterprises and 335 catering enterprises. Household services are provided to the population by 715 small and medium-sized businesses. Professional training of specialists in the city is carried out by 3 branches of higher educational organizations, 8 organizations of secondary vocational education. The municipal education system includes 33 secondary schools, 32 pre-school educational institutions, 11 institutions of supplementary education for children.
Medical care is provided by 11 public health institutions, which include: 6 hospitals, 10 clinics, 3 dental clinics, 4 dispensaries, a maternity hospital, an ambulance station. The system of private medicine is developed. The city has 2 cinemas, a professional drama theater, a city museum of local lore, 5 club institutions, a recreation park, and an exhibition hall. The municipal library system includes 11 libraries. In Severodvinsk, there are 2 youth sports schools, 3 shooting ranges, 259 sports facilities, including 62 sports halls, 5 stadiums, 11 swimming pools, 85 sports facilities.
In November 2010, by the decision of the Commission of the Government of the Russian Federation on economic development and integration, a comprehensive investment plan (C & I) for the modernization of Severodvinsk as a single-industry company for 2010-2020 was approved. In November 2012, as part of the KIP, the reconstruction of the Arkhangelsk Highway, the longest road in Severodvinsk, was completed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|