Radiotechnical Troops (Radio-Teknicheskie Voiska)
December 15 each year in the Armed Forces of Russia celebrates Day of the radio engineering troops Aerospace Forces (VKS) Russia. celebration date is selected in connection with the release of December 15, 1951 the USSR Council of Ministers decree "On creation of services for early detection of enemy air planes." The predecessor of radio troops in the USSR was the air surveillance service, notification and communication (included), originally launched in 1928 through the Civil Commissariats in the organization of air defense systems (PVO) of the Soviet Union.
- In 1932, the air warning service functions were transferred to the Army Air Defense created in military units contribute, obey the command of the Air Force (Air Force) military districts, and since 1938 - Head of the defense of the Workers 'and Peasants' Red Army (Red Army).
- July 11, 1934 in Leningrad (now - St. Petersburg) were first conducted in the USSR testing equipment aircraft radio detection "Rapid". This station aerial reconnaissance that can pinpoint the aircraft at a distance of 3 km, has become a prototype for more advanced systems in the future entered into service with air warning troops.
- During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 provided the air warning troops firing of air defense work. It uses radar RUS-2 (code "Redoubt") to detect enemy aircraft and guided them Soviet fighters, put into service in 1940. Since 1944 used P-3 radar stations and P-3a ( "auto") that can detect targets at a distance of 35 km at an altitude of 1 thousand. M and at a distance of about 100 km at an altitude of more than 8 thousand. M.
- April 15, 1946 as part of staff of air warning troops had established a service chief air warning air defense forces of the USSR.
- December 15, 1951 the Council of Ministers of the USSR Defense Ministry has set the task to create a reliable "detection alert service and guidance", which were instructed to organize a single radar system across the country.
- In 1952, work began on the creation of a frontier strip detection and guidance along the state border of the USSR. Ground-based radar facilities in the units and formations of fighter aircraft were merged with the air warning service means, on this basis, established radar troops made. By the end of 1954, all posts visual observation of air warning along the borders of the Soviet state were replaced by radar units.
- In the second half of the 1950s, three kinds of troops were formed in the air defense forces: air defense aviation, air defense and radar troops. RTV were provided with new radar, radio navigation and television reconnaissance and combat support. In 1960 we developed and adopted into service more than ten types of radar systems (radar) and ground-based altimeters.
- May 1, 1960 specialists of PTB spotted crossing the Soviet air border southeast of Kirovabad (Tajik SSR, now - Panj, Tajikistan), American Lockheed U-2 reconnaissance aircraft ( "Lockheed U-2") pilot Francis Gary Powers and escorted him over Soviet territory up to the shooting down of the air defense forces in the region of Sverdlovsk (now - Ekaterinburg).
- Since the beginning of the 1960s radio troops are involved in providing domestic landing spacecraft.
- After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the formation in 1992, the Armed Forces radio troops remained in the composition of the air defense forces.
- January 14, 1994 Federal Intelligence system and the control of air space was created by the decree of President Boris Yeltsin of the Russian Federation. She combined radar systems and air defense troops, the Department of Air Transport, Air Force (Air Force) and the Naval Fleet of Russia. Guide system was entrusted to the Chief of the Air Defense Forces.
- In 1998, the defense forces have been incorporated into the Air Force. It was created Office of the Chief of the Federal Intelligence System, use and control of Air Force airspace As part of the Office of Chief of the Air Force (1999 - Air Force chief of radio command and control).
- August 1, 2015 the Air Force joined the Russian VKS.
- In autumn 2016 the union of the Air Force and Air Defence of the Western Military District received five radar "Sky-Y", can detect aircraft and cruise missiles at ranges of up to 600 km. According zamglavkoma videoconferencing Russian Lieutenant General Victor Gumenny, in April of 2016 the share of modern weapons in radio engineering troops amounted to 45%. Since 2014 the work on the deployment of radio units in the Russian Arctic.
- According to the Defense Ministry, military RTV performed their international duty in China, North Korea, Vietnam, Egypt, Syria, Angola, Cuba, Afghanistan and some other countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|