Kirov Plant - Soviet Period
In the 1920s, under the most difficult conditions of devastation, the plant mastered the production of new types of products, manufactured equipment for the Volkhovskaya HPP, in 1924 began to produce domestic PT tractors. In the 1920s equipment was manufactured at the plant for the Volkhovskaya HPP, and production of Fordson-Putilovets tractors was organized (the plant produced about 200,000 tractors before the Great Patriotic War). Later, production of powerful steam turbines, gantry cranes, tunneling shields for the construction of the subway, lifting facilities for dams and locks of the Moscow-Volga canal, engines for combine harvesters, T-28 medium tanks , and other military and civilian products was mastered.
On December 17, 1934 it was given the name of the Kirov Plant.
The plant team contributed to the development of almost all branches of engineering. Before the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45, the plant, apart from tractors, produced steam turbines, locomotives and wagons, engines for combine harvesters, auto-locomotives, alloyed and stainless steel, and the rolling of complex profiles. cranes, tunneling shields for the construction of the Moscow Metro, as well as military equipment - T-28 tanks and guns.
In 1939 the KV tank was created and mastered its release. During the war years, a part of the plant’s collective and a part of the equipment were evacuated inland. The remaining workers supplied the Leningrad Front with military equipment and participated in the defense of the city. On the territory of the plant, 4,680 shells fell, 770 bombs, 139 people were killed by fragments of bombs and shells, 788 were injured, more than 2500 people died from exhaustion. Material damage suffered by the plant amounted to over 320 million rubles. After the war, the plant produced steam turbines for power stations, tunneling shields for the Leningrad metro, steel and rolled metal, and established mass production of skidders KT-12 for the forest industry.
In the fall of 1941, most of the equipment and about 15 thousand people along with family members were evacuated to the Urals, where the Chelyabinsk Kirov factory (known as Tankograd) launched mass production of Victory tanks — heavy tanks of the KV and IS series, as well as self-propelled artillery installations (SAU) on their base. In total, from the end of 1939 to May 1945, the troops received more than 19 thousand different types of heavy tanks and self-propelled guns manufactured by the Kirov factory (about 20% of the total number of armored vehicles produced by the country's tank industry).
A special page in the labor and military records of the enterprise is the blockade. In the besieged Leningrad, 4 kilometers from the front line, the Kirov plant was one of the main targets of bombardments and bombardments. According to far from complete data, 4,700 shells and 770 bombs fell on the territory of the enterprise. 2.5 thousand factory workers died of starvation and about 150 died during shelling and bombing. Despite this, production for the front did not stop for a day. The people's militia of Leningrad was born at the Kirov plant: the 1st infantry regiment of the 1st Kirov division of the national militia was formed from the workers of the plant. During the war years thousands of Kirov fighters fought on the fronts.
In the postwar years, the main areas of activity of the Kirov factory became the mass production of military equipment, tractors "Kirovets" (since 1962), nuclear and power engineering. Over these years, about 470,000 tractors were manufactured, 12 thousand of which were exported to 14 countries of the world. About 40 thousand "Kirovtsev" of various modifications and now work on the fields of the planet.
During the Soviet period of the life of the legendary Kirovets, an amazing social infrastructure was created. She almost completely took care of her workers. A big help was also provided by the factory union created in Soviet times. In total, the plant created 21 hostels for workers (in Kirovsky, Moskovsky and Leninsky districts), vocational schools-42, technical school. Kotlina SZPI, Legendary VNIITRANSMASH, DK.im.Gaza, DK.im.Kirov, Stadium "Kirovets", Sports Club "Kirovets", recreation center in the village "Losevo", Youth Camp "Kabardinka" on the Black Sea, Sanatorium "White Nights »Sochi, Strelna Sanatorium-Preventorium, Yacht Club, Winter Holiday Center in the village of Siversky, factory hospital and clinic for factory workers, Kindergartens, nurseries, summer camps,
The plant occupied an area of ??200 hectares. almost in the city center. For the convenience of the workers, the Kirov Plant metro station was opened and a public transport network was organized. Production also had access to the Gulf of Finland, more precisely to the Sea Port and the production site in the village Gorelovo Leningrad region.
Labor and military achievements of the Kirovs in the Soviet period, the history of the plant is adequately appreciated by the state. On the banner of the enterprise - 7 orders: the Red Banner of Labor (1926), Lenin (1939 and 1951), the Red Banner (1940), the October Revolution (1970), Friendship of Peoples (1976) and the Patriotic wars of the first degree (1985). The merits of the Chelyabinsk Kirov Plant, which was based on the workers and production facilities of the Leningrad Kirov Plant that were evacuated in 1941, were marked by the Order of the Red Star, as well as the commanding order of Kutuzov, I degree, which actually equated the work of the collective to the won strategic battle at the front. 21 people from Kirov were awarded the title of Hero of Socialist Labor, about 150 were awarded laureate of the State Prize, hundreds were awarded orders and medals. In connection with the 50th anniversary of the Komsomol, the Komsomol organization of the plant in 1968 was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|