The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


Folyush military town Grodno

Folyush is a legendary military town of the Grodno garrison, where the opposition following was particularly strong, in which the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade is currently stationed. Since 2005, the town has also hosted the military faculty at the Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno, the history of the Belarusian military newspaper. There are many versions among Grodno residents about the origin of the name "Folush". Allegedly, the village of Folush used to exist here, from which the name of this district of the city came. According to the other, the name traces its history from the name of some general.

But in fact, this area got its name from linen water mills - foluche, once located on the Lososyanka River. Folush emerged in the second half of the 18th century as an industrial suburb of Grodno. Previously, the inhabitants of these places lived by farming and fishing: in the Lososyanka River, on the right bank of which the modern Folush is located, salmon were once found in abundance, which came here to spawn along the Neman from the Baltic Sea. On the felts-foluches, they felled, or felled (that is, straightened them), cloth, since earlier Folush was also called Valyush. People by the surname Folush (descendants of the owners or workers of foluche-felted) now live in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia, which confirms the prevalence of this term.

Soon the troops of the Russian army began to be located there again. An experienced logistician, adjutant in the economic department of one of the garrison regiments, Captain Ivan Samsonov, prudently using his wife's funds, handed over to the Grodno city government buildings located on the estate for quartering troops. In a short time, new brick barracks, stables, warehouses, parade ground and roads were built in Foluche, meeting the strict requirements established by the military department. Some of these buildings have survived to this day on the territory of a modern military town, where there are also found the remains of cobblestone roads; some of them were covered with asphalt in Soviet times. The Samsonov Palace and the wing, although in a heavily rebuilt form, they have also survived. Now within their walls there is a bath and laundry complex.

The wartime devastation of Belorussia the loss of people, homes, animals, public buildings, educational and cultural resources, roads, communications, health care facilities, and the entire industrial base was complete. To make up for the industrial loss, Stalin ordered the building of new factories and plants, which were more modern and thus more efficient than most of those elsewhere in the Soviet Union. One of the devices Stalin used to "protect" Belorussia (and the rest of the Soviet Union) against possible Western influences was a program of intensive Russification, thus creating a buffer zone for Russia along the Polish border. Consequently, most key positions in Minsk, as well as in the western provincial cities of Hrodna (Grodno in Russian) and Brest, were filled by Russians sent from elsewhere in the Soviet Union.

In the mid-1990s, servicemen of the 61st artillery group of the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade in Folusch found the grave of 11 Austrian soldiers who had died in combat. Nowadays it has been improved. The Austrians were buried in a picturesque place, under the shade of old spreading trees in the area of ??Repin Street.

Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno

Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno

Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno

Grodno Army Barracks Kelbasin is located 6.5 kilometers (km) southwest of Grodno (53-40N 023-50E). The area was covered by 11 KEYHOLE missions between March 1962 and February 1964. Comparative analysis revealed the same general level of activity over this period, with a reduction in activity during the winter months. No significant changes in the installation were observed.

The installation is not rail served but has a network of secondary roads which gives it good access to Grodno and all roads radiating from Grodno. The . The Grodno Ammunition Depot Kelbasin Southwest (AL-7) is located 2 km southwest. Other military installations in the Grodno area include Army Barracks East (AL-1), Army Barracks North, Army Barracks and Depot Neman River South (AL-4), Ammunition Storage Area South east (AL-5), and Army Barracks Southeast (AL-2).

The installation covered approximately 600 acres and includes five administration buildings, 14 barracks, 58 storage buildings, 22 support buildings, and five vehicle parks containing 11 vehicle sheds, three maintenance buildings, and four equipment storage buildings. The installation also includes two revetted ammunition storage buildings, one athletic field, five small arms firing ranges, a wheeled-vehicle driver training course, and a probable communications station containing three buildings.

A small probable ammunition storage area containing five buildings is located 1.5 km south. The direct road connection between this area and the barracks indicates an association. A small training area covering approximately 500 acres is located 3 km southwest of Grodno Army Barracks Keltbasin. It contains three wheeled-vehicle driver training courses, a possible tank firing range with two target runs, one firing lane and seven abandoned target runs. The training area is connected to the barracks area by a secondary road. The direct road connection to the Army Barracks Kelbasin indicates the training area is utilized primarily by units in the barracks.

Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno
This facility should not be confused with the Grodno Army Barracks and Depot Neman River South, which was located in the southeast sector of Grodno (53-10N 023-50E). While this facility had been identified by US intelligence around the year 1960, more recent satellite imagery shows no trace of such a location. The installation was served by a spur from the double-track Grodno-Bialystok rail line and by a series of secondary roads which provided access to Grodno. Military installations in the immediate vicinity included Grodno Army Barracks East (AL-1), Grodno Army Barracks Southeast (AL-2), and two storage areas. The installation covered approximately 240 acres and contained three administration buildings, 12 probable quarters, 82 storage buildings, one probable special storage building, two probable storage buildings, one large building under construction, one possible maintenance building, and five support buildings. The general layout and type of buildings and absence of barracks indicated the function of this installation to be primarily storage.

Folyush military town Grodno Folyush military town Grodno

In the early 1930s, a division of 75-mm guns of the 29th Lithuanian-Belarusian field artillery regiment was located on Foluche. The regiment was formed in 1920 on the basis of the 2nd division of the 1st Lithuanian-Belarusian field artillery regiment and the 1st division of the 216th field artillery regiment as the 2nd field artillery regiment of Central Lithuania. Until the beginning of the 21st century, the storage areas of the 61st (350th) artillery group of the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade were located in the boxes of the 29th regiment. Folush met World War II twice. The first time was in early September 1939, when German bombers bombed a military town and artillery depots in the neighboring Chekhovshchyna, as well as a bridge, railway stations and other important objects of Grodno. On June 22, 1941, units of the 85th Infantry Division fought in the Folusch area.

From July 1941 to autumn 1942 in the Folusch area there was a prisoner of war camp - Stalag 324. The Stalag was subordinate to the commandant of the POW camps of the Belorutenia district, Lieutenant Colonel Voltke, whose headquarters was stationed in Minsk in Stalag 352 (Pushkin barracks). Prisoners of war, concentrated at the assembly points of German units and formations on the Eastern Front and in the front-line zone, were sent to Stalag via transit camps (dulags) by rail. A significant part of the prisoners of war died on the way from hunger, dehydration, cold or suffocation. The prisoners were unloaded at the Lososno railway station and then sent on foot to the Stalag. The camp was guarded by the Wehrmacht troops, the political moods of the prisoners of war were monitored by the army counterintelligence officers and, in agreement with the Wehrmacht commander, they were controlled by the Gestapo. Prisoners of war, who were considered the most dangerous in political terms, were either killed immediately after identification, or sent to concentration camps.

Stalag was located on an area of ??about 50 hectares. On the outskirts of the former military town of Folush, a section of a field and a forest was fenced off with barbed wire, which became a grave for several tens of thousands of soldiers and commanders of the Red Army who were dying of wounds, hunger and disease, as well as at the hands of German executioners. In the camp, prisoners dug 96 semi-dugouts, each measuring 6 x 25 meters and 3 meters high. Prisoners of war camp 324 were also located in the city of Grodno itself - in the barracks on the street. Krasnoarmeiskaya. The dying were buried on Prigorodnaya Street in ditches up to 50 meters long, and after the war they were reburied in the general cemetery. Most of the prisoners of war held in camp 324 died. Basically, people died of hunger and diseases caused by detention in inhuman conditions, some were shot or hanged.

By the fall of 1942, the Stalag had ceased to exist, since most of the prisoners of war in it died, and there were no new receipts. In the fall of 1942, in Foluche, practically on the site of the old prisoner of war camp, near the Chekhovshchizna railway transfer station, the Nazis created a transit camp for Jews, the Kelbasino ghetto. Jews were driven here from the Grodno ghetto, where earlier, in addition to the native Grodno residents, Jews were concentrated from the territory of the former Grodno district: from Lunno, Skidel, Indura and other settlements.

In total, about 33 thousand people died in the POW camp in Foluche and in the Kelbasino camp, 36 thousand people passed through the camp. In 1945, at about the same place where Stalag 324 was located, a quarantine camp was set up for Soviet citizens returning to their homeland from German captivity and stolen to work.

On December 13, 2007, during construction work on laying communications to a new checkpoint in the military town of Folush, the remains of Soviet soldiers were found - prisoners of war from Stalag 324 (353). Jobs were suspended immediately after discovery. After the necessary approvals, the search unit of the 52nd separate specialized search battalion began excavations, during which experts found the remains of 361 Soviet soldiers, in addition, they found six soldier's medallions, the remains of soldier's belts, and fragments of uniforms.

On July 2, 2008, in Grodno, at the city cemetery "Auls", the remains of 1,333 Red Army soldiers found by the search battalion were reburied with military honors. They were reburied near the site of the reburial of the remains of 361 Soviet soldiers, which took place in February 2008. By that time, a small obelisk with a five-pointed star had been erected on this site. During the reburial ceremony, a prayer service was held, a meeting with the participation of the city leadership and veterans. Then it was decided to create a memorial to those who died during the Great Patriotic War.

By the early 1980s, the first trolleybuses were launched into Folusch. Military builders were actively building nine-story houses. Folush became a full-fledged urban area. In the 1990s, the territory of the military town decreased significantly. On the site of the former parks with military equipment, the construction of the so-called American houses was launched, built to accommodate the families of officers withdrawn from Germany by Soviet military units, as well as those dismissed on reduction. Ordinary houses were built nearby, as well as the Folush garage-building cooperative.

Since 1980, in the military town of Folush, the 6th Guards Kiev-Berlin Order of Lenin, the Red Banner, the Orders of Suvorov and Bogdan Khmelnitsky have been deployed a separate tank division (during the Great Patriotic War, the 6th Guards Tank Corps). During the reform of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Belarus, it was reorganized into the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade with the preservation of all honorary titles and awards. On the territory of the military camp in 1980, a monument to the Hero-Tankers of the 6th Guards Tank Division (corps) was erected, which is an IS-2 tank on a pedestal, installed against the background of the Battle Banner with awards of the division and steles with the names of the Heroes of the Soviet Union - soldiers of the formation. Folush is one of the centers of the Belarusian military school.

In 2005, on the territory of the military town of Folush, the military faculty was located at the educational institution "Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno". The military faculty at GrSU is the youngest in the Republic of Belarus. The formation was based on the officers of the Western Operational Command. Its grand opening took place on October 14, 2005. Colonel Alexander Nikolaevich Rodionov became the first head of the military faculty.

In 2007, the military faculty became a part of the newly created Grodno territorial center for training military personnel, reservists, conscripts, junior commanders and reserve officers. On the model of the educational building of the military faculty, the building of one of the old barracks of the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade was reconstructed, in which the Grodno territorial center for the training of military personnel is located. This facility was inaugurated on September 26, 2008. Today, the military faculty trains military personnel both for the Armed Forces of the Republic of Belarus and for the border service, the Committee for State Security and Internal Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the specialties: "physical training of military personnel" and "logistics support of troops" (specializations: "clothing supply", " food supply ").

In 2011, the first graduation of cadets took place. Here, students and college students from the university are trained in programs for training junior commanders and reserve officers in a number of specialties. During the years of reforming the Belarusian army, the staffing of the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade deployed in the military town of Folush has significantly decreased. In this regard, the territory of the military camp has decreased again, and the released lands are used for residential development. Folush gradually turned into one of the cozy sleeping areas of the city. Here, far from large industrial enterprises, a favorable ecological situation is preserved, nearby are woodlands, the picturesque valley of the Lososyanka River, a stone's throw to the favorite resting place of the townspeople - Lake Jubilee. The name "Folush" was also fixed as a cultural phenomenon - the choreographic studio "Folush-ballet", as well as the vocal-instrumental ensemble "Folush" of the 6th Guards Separate Mechanized Brigade, are known in Belarus and abroad.

In 2008, Olga Solomova Street was extended in the Folush district, which became one of the main city transport arteries. In recent years, many modern retail outlets and other social infrastructure facilities have appeared here, including a school for 1.020 students, which has become the 37th secondary school in the city. There are cadet classes and a center for military-patriotic education, a museum exhibition dedicated to the history of the military town. Many exhibits of the exhibition tell about the military units that were located in Foluche. The school is carrying out a lot of civil-patriotic work, which is supported by soldiers-guards, teachers and cadets of the military faculty at GrSU. The first graduates of the school have already become applicants to military educational institutions of the Republic of Belarus.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 24-06-2021 17:47:48 ZULU