M998 HMMWV Cargo/Troop Carrier
The M998, and M998A1 were cargo/troop carrier configurations of the High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMMWV) family. The M998 was an open aluminum body, canvas top, general-purpose tactical truck. The M998 series contained metric components and required metric common and vehicle unique tools. It was equipped with a towing pintle for towing and tie-down/lifting eyes for air, rail, highway or ocean shipment.
They were used to transport equipment, materials, and/or personnel. The vehicles were equipped with basic armor and used to transport equipment, materials, and/or personnel. The cargo carrier configuration was capable of transporting a payload (including crew) of 2,500 pounds and the troop carrier was capable of transporting a 2-man crew and 8 passengers. Both used a troop seat kit for troop transport operations. The cargo/troop carrier could also be configured in a 4-man crew configuration. The vehicles could climb 60 percent (30 degree) slopes and traverse a side slope of up to 40 (22 degrees) percent fully loaded. The vehicles could ford hard bottom water crossing up to 30 inches (76 centimeters) without a deep water fording kit and up to 60 inches (152 centimeters) with the kit.
The only difference between the M998 and M998A1 cargo/troop carriers and the M1038 and M1038A1 cargo/troop carriers is that the M998 and M998A1 did not have self-recovery winches and the M1038 and M1038A1 did.
The M998 was the baseline vehicle for the M998 series of 1 1/4-ton trucks, known as the High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMMWV) family. All HMMWVs were designed for use over all types of roads, in all weather conditions and are extremely effective in the most difficult terrain. The HMMWVs high power-to-weight ratio, 4 wheeled drive and high ground clearance combine to gave it outstanding cross-country mobility. The initial HMMWV family (sometimes referred to as the A0 series) consisted of 11 variants. They were:
- Truck, Utility, TOW Carrier, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M966
- Truck, Ambulance, 2-Litter, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M996
- Truck, Ambulance, 4-Litter, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M997
- Truck, Utility, Armament Carrier, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M1025
- Truck, Utility, Armament Carrier, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, w/ Winch, M1026
- Truck Ambulance, 2-Litter, Soft Top, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M1035
- Truck, Utility, TOW Carrier, Armored, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, w/ Winch, M1036
- Truck, Utility, Shelter Carrier, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, M1037
- Truck, Utility, Cargo/Troop Carrier, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, with Winch, M1038
- Truck, Utility, Shelter Carrier, 1-1/4 Ton, 4x4, with Winch, M1042
Later, the baseline A0 family incorporated armament and TOW missile carriers with supplemental armor, a dedicated prime mover for the M167 Towed VADS and M119 105mm howitzer, and a heavy cargo carrier, with a payload rating of over 4,000 pounds. The M998 itself was upgraded with the A1 series improvements beginning in 1989.
M998 variants (including sub-variants in the family) fitted with any of a variety of add-on armor packages as part of near term armor programs, beginning in 2003 were designated with a "P1" after their respective model number.