04 April 2021 Military News
- Two rockets target US-occupied Iraqi air base near Baghdad Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- At least two rockets have targeted an Iraqi air base occupied by American troops near the capital Baghdad.
- Iraqi groups reject talks with US, vow to step up resistance until full withdrawal Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- A prominent Iraqi anti-terror group has reacted to the upcoming round of so-called strategic talks between Baghdad and Washington, whose key agenda item is reportedly the US combat deployment, emphasizing that armed resistance and operations against American occupation forces will continue until they are fully removed from the Arab country.
- Afghanistan's Ghani proposes three-phase peace roadmap: Document Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani will put forward a three-phase peace roadmap through a conference on the Afghan "peace process" in Turkey, aimed at finalizing a peace deal between Kabul and the Taliban militant group, according to a document.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran, Pakistan to hold combined naval exercise ISNA 04 Apr 2021 -- Iran-Pakistan combined naval exercise will be held in coming days with the participation of navies of the two countries.
- Israeli Military Says Receives New Spy Aircraft to Better Identify Targets in Iraq, Iran, Yemen Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- According to its developer, the plane is equipped with a variety of cutting-edge sensors, including an advanced radar system and artificial intelligence, and is capable of identifying targets even in bad weather conditions.
- Military to hold emergency jet landing drill on Pingtung highway CNA 04 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan is scheduled to stage a series of emergency landings and takeoffs of its fighter jets, in its southernmost municipality in July, as part of this year's Han Kuang military exercises, sources told CNA Sunday.
- Over 100 Retired Turkish Admirals Sign Letter in Defense of Montreux Convention Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- An open letter was signed by 103 retired Turkish admirals who highlighted the need for Turkey to stay in the Montreux convention, which determines the status of Bosporus and Dardanelles straits, in light of the Istanbul Canal project, which would not be covered by the treaty.
- Libyan Foreign Minister Affirms her Country's Serious Strategy towards Immediate Departure of Foreign Mercenaries from Libya SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- Libyan Foreign Minister Najla El-Mangoush reiterated her assertion that the strategy of the national unity government in her country is clear and serious towards the immediate departure of foreign mercenaries from Libyan lands.
- 22 Indian troops killed in ambush by Maoist rebels Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- A fierce gun battle between Indian security forces and Maoist rebels in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh has left dozens of causalities, in what was described as the deadliest ambush by rebels in four years.
- Eight Security Forces Dead, 21 Missing After Maoist Attack in Central India, Reports Say Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- Eight security personnel are dead and 21 others are missing after being ambushed by Maoists in the heavily forested state of Chhattisgarh in central India, media reported on Sunday.
- Somali military kills 76 Shabab militants in attack on army bases Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Somalia's army has killed scores of al-Shabab militants after the al-Qaeda-linked Takfiri terrorist group attacked two key military bases in the country's southwest.
- Ethiopia says Eritrean troops 'exiting' Tigray amid public fears of confrontation Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Ethiopia has announced that military troops from neighboring Eritrea have "started to evacuate" the conflict-hit Tigray region situated between the two African states.
- Ethiopian Foreign Ministry Says Eritrea Started Pulling Troops Out of Tigray Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- Eritrea has started withdrawing its troops from the northern restive Ethiopian region of Tigray, in accordance with an agreement reached by the two countries on 26 March, the Foreign Ministry of Ethiopia said in a statement.
- Jordanian FM Accuses Prince Hamzah of Plotting to Destabilize the Country VOA 04 Apr 2021 -- An alleged plot by Jordan's former crown prince to undermine the government was foiled, the country's foreign minister said Sunday.
- Unprecedented Public Fracture Rocks Jordan's Ruling Family VOA 04 Apr 2021 -- Jordan's Deputy Prime Minister Ayman Safadi says that King Abdullah's half-brother and former crown prince, Prince Hamza, liaised with foreign parties over a plot to destabilize the country. Hamzah, an outspoken critic of corruption in Jordan, had called for holding those responsible to account. Analysts believe the opposition is not to the government, but to economic, political and social policies adopted by the king.
- What We Know So Far About Situation in Jordan Following Arrest of King's Half-Brother Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- Hamzah bin Hussein, Jordan's former crown prince, has reported that he has been placed under house arrest as part of a security sweep targeting critics of the government. Yousef Huneiti, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff of the Jordanian army, denied that the prince had been put under house arrest.
- Jordan deputy PM: Prince Hamzah, others planned to 'destabilize' Jordan Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Jordan's Deputy Prime Minister Ayman Safadi says Prince Hamzah bin Hussein, a former crown prince and the half-brother of King Abdullah II, allegedly liaised with foreign parties over a purported plot to destabilize the country and was under investigation for some time.
- Iran stresses on importance of peace, stability in Jordan ISNA 04 Apr 2021 -- Referring to the latest developments in Jordan, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh stressed on the importance of peace and stability in the Arab country.
- Ex-crown prince of Jordan says under house arrest amid crackdown over alleged coup Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- The former crown prince of Jordan says he has been confined to his house and his communications have been restricted amid an ongoing crackdown on alleged coup plotters.
- HRH Crown Prince Makes Phone Call to Jordan's Crown Prince SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, made a phone call today to the Crown Prince of the sisterly Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan Al-Hussein bin Abdullah II.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Makes Phone Call to King of Jordan SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud made a phone call today to King Abdullah II of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- USA Announces Full Support for King of Jordan SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- The United States of America announced its full support for King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein of Jordan, stressing that His Majesty is a key partner of the United States of America.
- Arab League Affirms Solidarity with Jordan in Preserving Stability SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- The Secretary-General of the League of Arab States, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, expressed full solidarity with the measures taken by the Jordanian leadership to maintain the security and stability of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- GCC Affirms Standing Alongside Jordan SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) for Arab States, Dr. Nayef Falah Mubarak Al-Hajraf, affirmed the Council's standing by and support for all measures being taken by the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to maintain security and stability thereof.
- OIC: We Fully Support All Measures Taken by King Abdullah II of Jordan to Maintain Security, Stability in his Country SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- The Secretary-General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), Dr. Yusuf bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen, affirmed the Organization's stand by and support for all measures being taken by King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and HRH Crown Prince Al Hussein bin Abdullah II.
- Royal Court: Saudi Arabia Fully Stands by Jordan, Supports All Decisions Taken by King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein to Maintain Security and Stability in his Country SPA 04 Apr 2021 -- The Royal Court issued the following statement:
- Jordan's FM: Prince Hamzah Was in Contact With 'Foreign Agencies' to Undermine National Security Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- Jordanian Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Ayman Safadi said on Sunday that an investigation found Prince Hamzah bin Hussein's and two officials had held contacts with foreign intelligence agencies to destabilise the country.
- Chinese FM holds talks with ROK counterpart People's Daily 04 Apr 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Saturday held talks with his counterpart from the Republic of Korea (ROK) Chung Eui-yong in Xiamen, east China's Fujian Province.
- Carrie Lam expects more prosperous Hong Kong with improved electoral system People's Daily 04 Apr 2021 -- With legislative changes on improving Hong Kong's electoral system adopted by China's top legislature, Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), expects a more peaceful and prosperous Hong Kong under "one country, two systems."
- China's Five-Year Plan mirrors socialist democracy with Chinese characteristics People's Daily 04 Apr 2021 -- China's five-year plan is a window from which the international society can seek opportunities for cooperation with China, and learn the achievements of the country's socialist democracy with Chinese characteristics.
- Kazakh Activism Against China's Internment Camps Is Broken, But Not Dead RFE/RL 04 Apr 2021 -- When 67-year-old pensioner Qalida Akytkhan decided to join a small protest outside the Chinese Consulate in Almaty, it was three years after three of her sons were detained at a so-called "reeducation camp" in China's northwestern Xinjiang region.
- France calls on Iran to be 'constructive' at nuclear talks in Vienna ISNA 04 Apr 2021 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has called on Iran to show a constructive stance in talks to be held in Vienna next week.
- There will be no direct or indirect talks with US in Vienna: Araghchi ISNA 04 Apr 2021 -- Iranian deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Seyyed Abbas Araghchi ahead of his visit to Vienna stressed that there will be no direct or indirect talks with the US.
- Zarif urges France, Britain, Germany to act 'constructively' in upcoming Vienna meeting Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Iran's foreign minister has urged the three European parties to the 2015 nuclear agreement to honor their commitments under the historic pact and act constructively in the upcoming meeting in Vienna.
- Iran will have no direct, indirect talks with US in Vienna: Official Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi says Iran and the US will have no direct or indirect talks in Vienna, where the remaining parties to a 2015 nuclear deal will meet Tuesday to discuss the lifting of sanctions on Tehran.
- Iran vows 'good news' about nuclear propulsion in coming months Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) has highlighted recent achievements in the country's nuclear sector, promising "good news" about nuclear propulsion.
- Iran Rules Out Any Negotiations With U.S. Unless Sanctions Lifted RFE/RL 04 Apr 2021 -- Iran says it will not engage in negotiations with the United States at the planned talks in Vienna next week on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and global powers.
- Anti-Junta Protests in Myanmar Hold 'Easter Egg Strike' VOA 04 Apr 2021 -- Demonstrations against military rule continued in Myanmar Sunday, with many protesters using Easter eggs to aid their movement.
- 38-year-old female politician elected Kosovo's new president Press TV 04 Apr 2021 -- The parliament of Kosovo has picked Vjosa Osmani, a 38-year-old female law professor and candidate of the ruling Vetevendosje party, as the country's new president.
- Kosovo's Parliament Elects Ruling Party's Osmani As President RFE/RL 04 Apr 2021 -- Kosovo's parliament has elected Vjosa Osmani, candidate of the ruling Vetevendosje (Self-Determination) movement, as the country's new president.
- Kosovo's Parliament Elects Ex-Speaker Vjosa Osmani as Nation's President Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- The parliament of the self-proclaimed republic of Kosovo on Sunday elected former speaker Vjosa Osmani as the nation's president, according to a live broadcast of the voting process.
- Bulgaria's Ruling Party Projected To Win Poll, But Faces Tough Coalition Challenge RFE/RL 04 Apr 2021 -- The center-right ruling party of Prime Minister Boyko Borisov is projected to win Bulgaria's parliamentary elections with about 25 percent of the vote.
- Niger's President Mohamed Bazoum Appoints New Prime Minister Just Days After Failed Coup Sputnik 04 Apr 2021 -- Niger's newly-elected President Mohamed Bazoum has appointed Ouhoumoudou Mahamadou as Prime Minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|