08 November 2020 Military News
- 'Lucky 13' reaches its End of Mission US Air Force 08 Nov 2020 -- "Please be advised that, just a few hours ago, EDet 2413/Task Force Black, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, officially powered down comm(unication)s and closed its doors for the last time. After 19 years, the legend has reached End of Mission. Here's to all of our members who have been part of this epic chapter in OSI history!"
- Taliban Expect Biden to Stick to Afghan Peace Deal Without 'Significant Change' VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- The Taliban say they expect President-elect Joe Biden to stick to a peace agreement the insurgent group sealed with the United States earlier this year to end the war in Afghanistan, America's longest.
- Assassination of Former Afghan TV Presenter Draws Outrage VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- Leaders in Afghanistan and the United States have strongly condemned Saturday's bomb explosion in the capital, Kabul, that killed two senior central bank staffers, one of them a renowned former television presenter.
- Taliban expect Biden to abide by Afghanistan pullout deal Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The Taliban militant group says it expects US President-elect Joe Biden to abide by a deal reached with outgoing President Donald Trump, who promised to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- German MPs Greenlight $6 Bln Contract on Purchase of Advanced Eurofighter Warplanes Sputnik 08 Nov 2020 -- The agreement on buying Eurofighter Typhoon warplanes is part of the German Defence Ministry's effort to replace its ageing Tornado fighter jets, which entered service with the Luftwaffe back in 1983.
- US to seek PKK's removal from Syria in new alliance with Turkey Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The Trump administration is reportedly seeking to diminish and eventually eliminate the presence in Syria of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), citing the group's terrorist ties, in a bid to forge new collaboration in Syria with Turkey, which also illegally occupies the terror-ravaged Arab state.
- Libyan experts discover 17 bodies in mass graves in Haftar's stronghold Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Libyan experts have discovered 17 bodies in several mass graves in the west of the North African country's Tarhuna region, from where rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar launched an aborted assault last year to seize the capital, Tripoli.
- China-India border talks may drag on during winter Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- China and India have cemented agreements achieved in previous rounds of talks in the latest commander level meeting on Friday, with both sides vowing to ensure their frontline troops "exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation." Future talks will be arranged soon, indicating the two sides are prepared to prolong the row through the coming winter and even longer, according to an official media release by China's Ministry of National Defense on Sunday.
- China, India agree to ensure frontline troops to exercise restraint, avoid miscalculation Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- China and India had a candid, in-depth and constructive exchange of views on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western sector of China-India border areas in the 8th round of Corps Commander Level Meeting held in Chushul on Friday, with both sides agreeing to ensure their frontline troops "to exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation," according to an official media release by the Chinese Ministry of National Defense on Sunday.
- 8th round of India-China Corps Commander Level Meeting India PIB 08 Nov 2020 -- On November 6th, the 8th round of India-China Corps Commander Level Meeting was held in Chushul.
- China, India hold 8th corps commander level meeting People's Daily 08 Nov 2020 -- China's Ministry of National Defense on Sunday said the 8th round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held on Nov. 6 in Chushul.
- India and China Agree to Maintain Peace, Tranquility in Border Areas Sputnik 08 Nov 2020 -- India and China have agreed to maintain dialogue to ensure tranquillity in border areas, the Indian Defence Ministry said in a Sunday statement, commenting on military talks held earlier this week.
- Xi calls construction of Sichuan-Tibet railway significant to unity and border stability Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- Experts hailed the Sichuan-Tibet Railway as an "infrastructure miracle" in connecting people and safeguarding border stability, following Chinese President Xi Jinping's remarks to advance the construction of the project with high quality. Xi called the project a major step in safeguarding national unity and a significant move in promoting economic and social development of western region.
- India says three soldiers, three pro-independence fighters killed in Kashmir gunfight Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- India's Defense Ministry says three Indian soldiers as well as three pro-independence fighters have been killed during armed clashes in Kashmir.
- Israel endorses construction of new settlement near besieged Gaza Strip Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The Israeli cabinet has approved construction of new settler units near the besieged Gaza Strip, defying international outcry over the Tel Aviv regime's Palestinian land expropriation policies.
- Mahmoud Abbas urges Joe Biden to enhance ties with Palestine Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has urged US President-elect Joe Biden to strengthen relations with Palestine, indicating that he will end his three-year political boycott of the White House.
- Azerbaijan says it seized Karabakh's second largest city, Armenia denies Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has announced the capture of Shusha -- the second largest city in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh enclave -- but Armenian officials denied the city had been seized.
- Nagorno-Karabakh Fighting Flares Up As Azerbaijan Says Key City Captured RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- President Ilham Aliyev says Azerbaijani forces have taken Shushi (known as Susa in Azeri), the second-largest city in the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave.
- Hundreds Desert Cameroon Village After Separatists Kill Village Chief VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- Hundreds of villagers have deserted a village in Cameroon's English-speaking Southwest region after rebels attacked, killed their chief and torched his palace Friday evening. The fleeing civilians are asking for help in neighboring towns. The incident took place a day after another English-speaking chief was abducted. His whereabouts are still unknown.
- Ethiopia vows to replace government in Tigray as fighting escalates Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has vowed to restore law and order in the state of Tigray and scrap the current government there as fighting continues in the volatile northern region.
- U.S. Allies Congratulate Biden On Election; Kremlin Silent, Iran Cautious RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- U.S. allies from Europe to East Asia have congratulated Joe Biden on his election as the next U.S. president, with Germany hailing it as a "new and exciting chapter" in transatlantic ties and Japan's leader pledging to work to ensure "peace, freedom, and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region."
- Taiwan congratulates Biden on winning election CNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) tweeted her congratulations to Joe Biden on Sunday morning, after many American media outlets projected the Democrat has won the presidency of the United States.
- Biden expected to put transatlantic relations in order, revive talks Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- European leaders hope that president-elect Joe Biden will put transatlantic relations in order and revive negotiations, which will also leave more negotiation room for China with the two sides, Chinese experts said, while warning of more toughness from the US and Europe on some important issues like the South China Sea as they move closer again.
- European Leaders Congratulate Winners of US Elections VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- European leaders reacted positively and congratulated Joe Biden on his projected victory over Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential election. Congratulations also went to Vice-President elect Kamala Harris for her historic achievement. After days of waiting, Europe is optimistic that a new era of relations with the U.S. is now on the horizon.
- Most Middle East Governments Congratulate Biden on US Election Results VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- The projected election of Joe Biden as the 46th U.S. president is receiving a generally positive reaction from most Middle Eastern governments, although several Gulf States which had close ties to outgoing President Donald Trump reacted cautiously.
- Greece Welcomes Biden Election Win as Hope for Stability VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis was among the first foreign leaders to congratulate Joe Biden after he was projected to become the next U.S. president. Greece views the pending change of guard at the White House as pivotal to easing turbulent relations with Turkey. Many analysts, though, warn Athens should take a more cautious approach.
- Saudis, Israel, India Join World Leaders in Congratulating Biden, Harris VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz and his son Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Sunday joined other Arab countries in congratulating U.S. President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on winning the presidential election.
- More Than Just An Onlooker, Ukraine Largely Relieved At U.S. Election Result RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- When U.S. media began to call the presidential race in Joe Biden's favor on November 7, it was about 6:30 p.m. in Kyiv.
- South Korea Welcomes Biden Victory VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- South Korea has congratulated Democrat Joe Biden for his victory over President Donald Trump in what was a contentious election for the U.S. presidency.
- How Will a President Joe Biden Approach Russia? VOA 08 Nov 2020 -- U.S. presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, when first elected, both thought they could establish a rapport with Russian leader Vladimir Putin and dramatically improve U.S.-Russian relations.
- Biden wins: What next for China-US relations? Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- As a crucial victory in major swing state Pennsylvania put Joe Biden over the 270 Electoral College vote threshold to win the presidency, the president-elect made his first speech on Saturday night emphasizing "unity and healing." While the world displays a growing sense of expectation for the 46th president of the US, some Chinese experts considered the outcome offers some "breathing room" for the tense China-US relations.
- Joe Biden: a new president-elect for the US, yet an 'old friend' for Chinese Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- For some Chinese people, US president-elect Joe Biden maybe a new face and an unfamiliar name they have taken notice of only because of his hard-fought campaign to win the presidency over outgoing President Donald Trump. But many more have remembered him for being the visiting US vice president who dined on noodles in an unassuming Beijing eatery in 2011.
- Chinese private space firms gaining ground in orbital satellite launch Global Times 08 Nov 2020 -- Standing alone in the Gobi Desert in Northwest China, a small, black rocket, developed by a private Chinese aerospace firm, awaited its debut. The engineering team behind the rocket, who have worked around the clock for the past few months, was waiting, nervously, for the launch.
- China's commercial rocket CERES-1 completes maiden flight People's Daily 08 Nov 2020 -- China's new carrier rocket CERES-1, designed for commercial use, made its maiden flight on Saturday, sending one satellite into planned orbit.
- Taiwan-U.S. relations will flourish under Biden: premier CNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan's Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) on Sunday congratulated Joe Biden on winning the U.S. presidential election, saying Taiwan-U.S. relations will flourish under his administration.
- KMT leader congratulates Biden, Harris on winning election CNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Johnny Chiang (江啟臣), chairman of Taiwan's main opposition Kuomintang (KMT) party, congratulated Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on Sunday for winning the U.S. presidential election.
- Biden will take different approach to China than Trump: scholars CNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Two Taiwanese scholars on Sunday said that United States President-elect Joe Biden is likely to take a different approach to China and Taiwan than incumbent Donald Trump, though it is too early to know the specifics.
- U.S. support for Taiwan will not change under Biden: Chinese scholar CNA 08 Nov 2020 -- There will not be much change in how the United States supports Taiwan diplomatically and through arm sales in the next four years, even though Joe Biden has beat incumbent Donald Trump to win the presidential election, a Chinese scholar said on Sunday.
- FM spox urges US to respond for breach of commitments IRNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh stressed the fact that the US is not in a position to set conditions for anybody, saying when an administration in the US wants to return to the JCPOA there will be a table for them to respond for violation of commitments.
- Iran FM spox reiterates failure of maximum pressure IRNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh in a message reiterated the failure of the US maximum pressure, saying it is understandable that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is furious of leaving Foggy Bottom.
- Zarif: World is watching new US leaders IRNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message said the world is watching whether the new US leaders will abandon bullying and accept multilateralism.
- President Rouhani: US new Gov't should compensate for past mistakes IRNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the next US government should compensate for Washington's past mistake.
- Next US Administration should seize opportunity to make up for past mistakes: President Rouhani ISNA 08 Nov 2020 -- Referring to the outcome of the US presidential election, Iranian President said, "The harmful, incorrect policies of the US government in the last three years have been condemned by not only peoples around the world, but also the American people in the recent elections."
- US must stop economic war against Iran, return to path of law: Foreign Ministry spokesman Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman says the new US administration must make up for its past measures and stop its economic war against the Islamic Republic.
- Iran FM advises US president-elect to abandon Trump's 'disastrous lawless bullying' Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has reacted to the result of the latest presidential vote in the United States and the election of Joe Biden as the 46th US president, advising the new administration to give up its predecessor's "disastrous lawless bullying."
- Rouhani advises incoming US admin. to make up for past US mistakes Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has advised the incoming US administration to make up for its predecessor's mistakes and return Washington to its international commitments.
- Biden Presidency Could Lessen Tensions With Iran, But Shift Unlikely To Happen Overnight Radio Farda 08 Nov 2020 -- U.S. President-elect Joe Biden has promised to stake a new course with Iran, pledging that Washington will rejoin the 2015 landmark nuclear deal if Tehran returns to full compliance.
- Can Belarusians Count On More Support From Biden? RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said little about Belarus since voters, angry over an election they say was stolen, took to the streets three months ago and were met with a violent crackdown by the forces of Alyaksandr Lukashenka's government. Joe Biden has called the man in power for over a quarter-century an illegitimate leader who "tortures his own people."
- Belarusian Activists Say More Than 800 Detained At Anti-Government Rallies RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- Police in Belarus have detained hundreds of anti-government demonstrators who gathered for the 13th consecutive Sunday of protests to call for the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka and a new presidential election following a disputed vote in August.
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi Seen Prevailing After Enthusiastic Vote Radio Free Asia 08 Nov 2020 -- Myanmar voters braved long lines Sunday and were expected to return Aung San Suu Kyi and her ruling National League for Democracy to power in a country racked with civil war and struggling with a surge in the coronavirus pandemic.
- Myanmar votes in general elections amid exclusion of Rohingya Muslims Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- People in Myanmar have voted in the country's general elections, with Aung San Suu Kyi's political party widely expected to win as her government excluded thousands of voters from the ethnic Rohingya group.
- Myanmar's farmers battle climate and health uncertainty UN News 08 Nov 2020 -- For farmers in Myanmar, the COVID-19 pandemic is adding to growing unpredictability, in a sector already struggling to cope with the effects of climate change. The UN is working closely with the country's government to help them to adapt and thrive.
- Turkey's finance minister announces resignation as lira keeps tumbling Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Turkey's Finance Minister Berat Albayrak has announced he is resigning from the post amid the continued plunge of the national currency lira and growing economic problems in the country because of the spread of coronavirus pandemic.
- Tbilisi demo urges snap elections for Georgia's next government Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Thousands of Georgians have staged a demonstration in the capital Tbilisi, calling for snap elections after the opposition accused the ruling party of vote-rigging in a highly contested parliamentary vote.
- Georgian Police Use Water Cannons To Disperse Election Protest RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- Police have used water cannons outside Georgia's Central Election Commission office to disperse protesters who were demanding the resignation of the commission head and new parliamentary elections.
- Lebanon's Bassil says US sanctions result of his refusal to break ties with Hezbollah Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The leader of Lebanon's Free Patriotic Movement has denounced sanctions imposed against him by the White House, saying the 'unjust' and 'politically motivated' action stems from his refusal to sever ties with the resistance movement Hezbollah.
- Thailand's anti-government protesters call on king to reach out for dialog Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Thousands of anti-government protesters have gathered in the Thai capital of Bangkok, calling on the country's monarch to reach out for dialog and put an end to the months-long rallies for democratic reforms.
- Tanzania's opp. leader takes refuge in German ambassador's residence after death threats Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- Tanzania's opposition leader has sought political asylum after taking refuge at the German ambassador's residence in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam, citing death threats after a disputed election late last month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|