08 April 2019 Military News
- CENTCOM: French Navy's Deployment in Qatar Reinforces Operation Inherent Resolve Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- France has sent warships to the Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar to assist the integration of French aircraft into the US-counterterror campaign in Iraq and Syria, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a press release on Monday.
- At Least 150 Killed in Battle for Control of Afghan District VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say the latest military-led offensives, backed by coalition airpower, have killed nearly 100 Taliban insurgents and injured dozens more in a bid to reclaim full control of a volatile district in western Badghis province.
- Suicide Blast Kills 3 US Soldiers, Contractor in Afghanistan VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- An attack outside Kabul, Afghanistan, has killed three U.S. service members and one American contractor, according to the U.S. military.
- Several US troops killed in Taliban attack Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Three American service members and a US contractor have been killed when their convoy hit a roadside bomb near Bagram Airfield, the main US base in Afghanistan, the US says.
- 12 Afghan security personnel killed in Taliban attack in Badghis province Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Twelve Afghan security personnel have been killed in clashes with the Taliban in the northwestern province of Badghis.
- Afghan Forces Battle Taliban For Fifth Day In Northwest RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- Afghan security forces are battling the Taliban for a fifth day after the militants launched a major attack in the northwestern province of Badghis.
- Afghanistan To Send Delegates To 'Exchange Views' With Taliban In Qatar RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- Afghanistan will send a government delegation for talks with the Taliban in Qatar, in a potential breakthrough in efforts to end the nearly 18-year war, even as the militants said participants will attend the meeting only in a "personal capacity."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group Enters European Theater NNS 08 Apr 2019 -- The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group (CSG) commenced operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations April 8, continuing support to coalition theater security cooperation efforts in the region.
- US Signs Defense Cooperation Agreement with Hungary VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- On the sidelines of two days of events marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the United States signed a bilateral defense cooperation agreement with Hungary, an act that went almost unnoticed by American media.
- Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group Departs on Deployment NNS 08 Apr 2019 -- The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group (ABECSG) departed Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, April 1, for a regularly scheduled deployment.
- Phoenix Express 2019 Holds Closing Ceremony in Casablanca NNS 08 Apr 2019 -- Exercise Phoenix Express 2019, sponsored by U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) and facilitated by U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet (CNE-CNA/C6F), concluded with a closing ceremony held at the Royal Moroccan Naval Simulation and Training Center, April 6.
- Travis AFB supports Cyclone Idai relief efforts US Air Force 08 Apr 2019 -- Two C-17 Globemaster III crews assigned to the 21st Airlift Squadron from Travis Air Force Base arrived in Djibouti April 5 to aid Cyclone Idai relief efforts.
- New chapter for the 911th Airlift Wing US Air Force 08 Apr 2019 -- The 911th Airlift Wing is undergoing an aircraft conversion switching from the C-130 Hercules to a much larger cargo aircraft in the C-17 Globemaster III.
- UK's most advanced jets deploy overseas for the first time UK MOD 08 Apr 2019 -- F-35B Lightning aircraft are set to deploy to RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus
- Turkey Says Not Giving Up On Russian Missile Deal Despite U.S. Pressure RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- Turkey is not withdrawing from an agreement to buy an advanced Russian missile system, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on April 8, despite increasing pressure from Washington.
- Russia, Turkey Have Other Arms Agreements In Addition to S-400 Deal - Putin Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The Russian president met with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday, who arrived in Moscow for talks about the state of Russian-Turkish relations.
- Indian Army Boosts Firepower With Domestically-Produced Long-Range Artillery Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- 'Dhanush' artillery is equipped with an inertial navigation-based sighting system, auto-laying capabilities, on-board ballistic computation and an advanced day-and-night direct firing system. Launching own production has taken years due to several issues, including corruption charges plaguing the original deal, as well as changes in specifications.
- Range of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile to Be Increased to About 310 Miles Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The range of BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles, produced jointly by Russia and India, is planned to be increased to 500 kilometres (311 miles) from 400 kilometres, Alexander Maksichev, the managing co-director of the BrahMos Aerospace company, told Sputnik.
- Border Guards of Iran to increase naval intelligence at sea IRNA 08 Apr 2019 -- The commander of Border Guard Force of Iranian Police pointed to the naval missions of the force, saying that in the new Iranian year the intelligence domination at sea should be increased, and its main task is to safeguard the sea.
- FM spokesman raps G7's stances on Iran's missiles, regional role ISNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Iran has denounced the Group of Seven's "untrue" and "unrealistic" positions on Tehran's constructive and undeniable role in consolidating stability and security and in fight against terrorism in the region, saying that the country's missile program is of peaceful and defensive nature.
- M1A2 battle tank procurement deal progressing: source CNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Taiwan's request to purchase 108 M1A2 Abrams main battle tanks from the United States is progressing and has not been shelved, a military source said Monday.
- Taiwan to Buy 108 M1A2 Abrams Tanks From US Despite China's Objection - Reports Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- Taiwan is planning to buy 108 M1A2 Abrams tanks worth almost $1Bln from the United States, Focus Taiwan news channel reported on Monday.
- Taiwan set to develop two indigenous armored vehicles by end 2023 CNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Taiwan plans to build two new models of the Clouded Leopard eight-wheeled armored vehicle mounted with a 105-mm assault gun by the end of 2023, an official from the Armaments Bureau said Monday.
- 8 April 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Apr 2019
- KSA and UAE Announce USD 200 Million in Support of Urgent Humanitarian Needs in Yemen SPA 08 Apr 2019 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates will provide funding of USD 200 million for urgent humanitarian assistance to the people of Yemen.
- Yemen: 11 more 'terrible, senseless' civilian deaths reported, following attack in Sana'a - top UN official UN News 08 Apr 2019 -- The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Lise Grande, has expressed her outrage at the 'terrible, senseless deaths' of 11 civilians in the capital, Sana'a on Sunday, in which scores were also injured.
- Syrian govt. troops attack terrorists' positions in Idlib, Hama Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- The Syrian government forces have carried out major operations against terrorists in the north and west of the country in response to the militants' breaches of the de-escalation zone agreement
- Turkey 'Ready' for New Military Operation in Syria – Erdogan Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- Earlier, the Turkish president warned that Ankara planned to "resolve" the "Syrian issue on the field," rather than the negotiating table, after the 31 March election.
- Erdogan to discuss possible Turkish operation in Syria with Putin: RIA Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he is scheduled to discuss with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin a possible Turkish military operation in northern Syria, where it has been confronting US-backed militants.
- Moscow calls for calm on 'all sides' in Libya conflict Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Russia has called on all sides in the Libya conflict to avoid more bloodshed as fighting between the two rival governments escalates near the North African country's capital of Tripoli.
- UN-backed Libyan govt. launches counteroffensive to stop advance of Haftar's forces on Tripoli Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Libya's United Nations-backed government has launched a counteroffensive to stop the rival forces loyal to military strongman Khalifa Hafter from advancing on the capital, Tripoli, vowing that it will regain control of all the areas they have seized over the past days.
- Battle Intensifies For Libyan Capital As West Calls For Truce RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- The battle for the Libyan capital, Tripoli, has intensified even as the international community calls for an immediate end to hostilities.
- LNA Operation in Tripoli to Not Affect Plans to Hold Elections in Libya - Gov't Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The operation of Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) in Tripoli, where the UN-supported Government of National Accord is based, will not affect plans to hold fair and democratic election in Libya, Bayda-based Interim Government's foreign minister in eastern Libya Abdel Hadi Khweish told Sputnik.
- Libya's GNA Presidential Council VP Resigns Over Rift With Sarraj - Reports Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- Commenting on his resignation, the vice president of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) Presidential Council, Ali Faraj Qatrani, stressed that GNA head Fayez Sarraj would make Libya split and suffer even more.
- Libyan National Army Leaves Tripoli Airport After GNA Airstrikes - Reports Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The day before, the Libyan National Army (LNA) launched the aerial part of its military operation over the Libyan capital after the air force of Libya's Government of National Accord reportedly conducted a series of attacks on LNA positions in Tripoli International Airport.
- Haftar's Libyan National Army Gains Control of Yarmuk Military Camp - Source Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, took control of the Yarmuk military camp south of Tripoli, a source in Haftar's General Command told Sputnik.
- Pompeo: US Urges Forces of Libya's Haftar to Stop Offensive on Tripoli Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a press statement on Monday that the United States requires the Libyan National Army loyal to Gen. Khalifa Haftar to stop its offensive on Tripoli.
- Thousands flee fighting in Libya as UN renews call for halt to military escalation UN News 08 Apr 2019 -- More than 3,400 people have fled fighting near the Libyan capital Tripoli in recent days, the UN warned on Monday, in a call to warring parties to halt military activities so that emergency services can rescue trapped civilians.
- Airstrike on Tripoli Closes City's Airport as Battle for Capital Rages VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Libyan authorities have closed the only functioning airport in Tripoli after an airstrike Monday, as a battle for the capital continues between rival forces in the country.
- Death toll in Libya's Tripoli clashes rises to 21 People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- The death toll in the clashes near the Libyan capital Tripoli between forces of the UN-backed government and the eastern-based army rose to 21, according to the Ministry of Health.
- UN Fears Dozens of Rohingya Killed in Myanmar Attack VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- The U.N. human rights office says it fears dozens of Rohingya Muslims were killed in a military helicopter attack last week, far higher than the initial death toll of seven.
- India accuses Pakistan of stirring up 'war hysteria' by making false claims Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- New Delhi has dismissed Islamabad's "irresponsible" claims that the Indian military is preparing for another attack against Pakistani soil, slamming the neighboring state for inciting "war hysteria" in the region.
- India Promises 'Firm Response to Any Provocation' by Pakistan in Kashmir Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The statement comes after Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi claimed on Sunday that he has "reliable intelligence that India is planning a new attack on Pakistan", which may take place between 16 and 20 April.
- Cameroon: Nigerians Who Fled Election Violence Return Home VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Cameroon says at least 40,000 Nigerians who fled across the border for fear of election-related violence have returned home and another 20,000 are soon to follow.
- Philippine Communist Rebels Grow New Aid Sources as China Steps Away VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- A beleaguered group of Mao Zedong-inspired rebels in the Philippines is tapping funds from overseas and recruits from among ideological sympathizers at home to help battle the government for the next 50 years as former benefactor communist China backs away.
- Trump says secretary of homeland security to step down People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump Sunday tweeted that Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen "will be leaving her position".
- US Homeland secretary leaves after talking with Trump Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security has quit her post after talking with President Donald Trump.
- US News Accounts: Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen Forced Out VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Embattled U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was forced out rather than resigning willingly, several U.S. news outlets are reporting.
- Intent To Designate the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps as a Foreign Terrorist Organization US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2019 -- Today, the Secretary of State announced his intent to designate the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), including its Qods Force, as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This designation is a historic step to counter Iran-backed terrorism around the world.
- Designation of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2019 -- The State Department intends to designate as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in its entirety, including the Qods Force. This is a historic step to counter Iran-backed terrorism around the world.
- Briefing With Special Representative Hook and Ambassador Sales US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2019 -- Special Briefing by Brian Hook, Senior Policy Advisor to the Secretary of State and Special Representative for Iran, and Nathan A. Sales, Ambassador-at-Large and Coordinator for Counterterrorism
- Remarks to the Press US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- US Designates Elite Iranian Force as Terrorist Organization VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- For the first time, the United States is designating a part of another government as a terrorist organization, targeting Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC), which is the Islamic Republic's most powerful security organization.
- Statement from the President on the Designation of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a Foreign Terrorist Organization The White House 08 Apr 2019
- Statement from Attorney General William P. Barr on the Department of State Designating the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a Foreign Terrorist Organization US Dept. of Justice 08 Apr 2019
- Zarif describes as dangerous Trump's new anti-Iran choice IRNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Iranian foreign Minister in a message termed as a dangerous misadventure by US President Donald Trump new anti-Iran choice to blacklist the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC)
- Iran mulling reciprocal act against possible US measure against IRGC IRNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Iran is mulling reciprocal act against possible US measure against the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- Iran FM calls for labeling US forces terrorist IRNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Iranian foreign minister on Monday called for labeling the US military forces terrorist after Washington's announcement to declare the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organization.
- Trump's dangerous gambling with IRGC IRNA 08 Apr 2019 -- The US is playing a dangerous game by trying to enlist the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in the list of terrorist organizations.
- Iran Guards commander reacts to US' plan to brand IRGC as terror group ISNA 08 Apr 2019 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' chief commander reacted to the news that the U.S. is set to designate the IRGC as a terrorist organization, stressing that in case the U.S. takes such a step, its forces in western Asia "will lose peace and quiet".
- Zarif warns of consequences of US' decision to designate IRGC as terror group ISNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif warned that US' decision to designate the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organization would have catastrophic consequences for American forces in the region.
- Iran puts US forces in West Asia region on its terror blacklist Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) has slammed the US government as "supporter of terrorism," designating American forces in West Asia, known as the United States Central Command (CENTCOM), as a "terrorist organization."
- Iran FM proposes terrorist blacklisting of US forces in West Asia Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has proposed that the country's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) should add American forces in West Asia, known as the United States Central Command (CENTCOM), to its list of terrorist groups in the Islamic Republic.
- U.S. Designates Iran's Revolutionary Guards As 'Terrorist Organization' RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has designated Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) a foreign terrorist organization (FTO), the first time the United States has labelled another nation's military as a terrorist group.
- Iran Designates US Military a Terrorist Organisation - Reports Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- Previously, Iran warned that if US President Donald Trump lists Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps as a terrorist organisation, Tehran would respond with a similar measure against the US CENTCOM. The corresponding bill has already been prepared.
- Trump Designates Iran's IRGC as Terrorist Group Despite Tehran's Warning Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- Earlier, Iranian lawmakers warned that if Washington went ahead and designated the Revolutionary Guards as a terror group, Tehran would counter by listing the US military on a terror blacklist alongside Daesh (ISIS).
- Iran self-sufficient in developing centrifuges: AEOI's special assistant ISNA 08 Apr 2019 -- Today, Atomic Energy Organization of Iran is a hundred percent self-sufficient in designing and development of centrifuges and it can fulfill the demands of its customers, AEOI's special assistant, Ali-Asqar Zarean said.
- China lowers urban hukou thresholds Global Times 08 Apr 2019 -- China is relaxing restrictions on hukou, or household registration, in second-tier and third-tier cities to help 100 million migrant workers obtain it.
- From Brussels to Balkans, Chinese premier visits Europe for closer ties People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang will travel to Europe on Monday for a series of high-level meetings to consolidate China-Europe cooperation at a time when changes and uncertainties are rattling the European continent.
- China's BeiDou navigation system sees bright future in Arab region People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- China's home-made BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) enjoys excellent potential in the Arab region within the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), according to a recent forum between China and Arab states.
- PM Benjamin Netanyahu Faces Tough Israeli Election Tuesday VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Israeli voters head to the polls for parliamentary elections Tuesday, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's decade-long hold on power at stake in a tough contest with former military chief Benny Gantz.
- Erdogan Reports 'Stealing' of Ruling AKP's Votes in Istanbul Mayoral Election Sputnik 08 Apr 2019 -- The mayoral election in Istanbul, which took place on 31 March, was accompanied by systematic irregularities, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday, adding that votes had been stolen from his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
- Erdogan Weighs Efforts to Overturn Istanbul Vote Defeat VOA 08 Apr 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has thrown his full political weight into efforts to reverse the defeat of his AK Party in mayoral elections for Turkey's largest city, Istanbul.
- British PM forced to delay Brexit to avoid no-deal as MPs pass law People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- Proposals to force British Prime Minister Theresa May to delay the date of Brexit -- again -- on Monday were approved by both the House of Lords and House of Commons.
- EU hopes for positive outcome of UK cross-party discussions: Barnier People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- The European Union (EU) hopes that the ongoing cross-party discussions in Britain will produce a positive outcome, EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said here on Monday.
- PM May warns Brexit could slip away as crunch week looms People's Daily 08 Apr 2019 -- Talks between Britain's two big political parties resume Monday after Prime Minister Theresa May issued a stark warning that the Brexit people voted for could "slip through our fingers".
- So Far, Zelenskiy Is High On Charisma And Light On Policy. Do Ukrainians Care? RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- By just about any measure, Volodymyr Zelenskiy has been heavy on charisma and light on specifics.
- Ukrainian Presidential Rivals Propose Different Dates For Public Debate RFE/RL 08 Apr 2019 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and rival Volodymyr Zelenskiy have proposed different dates for a public debate ahead of their presidential runoff on April 21.
- 7 killed in 2 days of Sudan's ongoing protests: Interior minister Press TV 08 Apr 2019 -- Sudan's Interior Ministry has announced the death of at least seven people during two days of the ongoing anti-government protests in the country.
- Sudan: 'Exercise utmost restraint' urges Guterres as thousands march in Khartoum, sparking deadly clashes UN News 08 Apr 2019 -- With security forces reportedly firing tear gas at protesters and signs that there may be division between the army and security forces in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, over how to deal with ongoing demonstrations, the UN chief on Monday called on "all actors to exercise utmost restraint and avoid violence."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|