25 December 2018 Military News
- Trump says Saudi Arabia to help rebuild Syria, defends forcing Mattis out People's Daily 25 Dec 2018 -- While defending his decision to force Defense Secretary James Mattis out ahead of schedule, U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday said that Saudi Arabia has agreed to replace the United States in helping rebuild Syria.
- US establishes two new military bases in Anbar province: Iraqi official Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- The US Army has set up two new military bases in Iraq's western province of Anbar, an Iraqi official says, days after Washington announced the pullout of American forces from Syria.
- Pakistan Briefs China on Afghan Peace Initiative VOA 25 Dec 2018 -- Pakistan has held a fresh round of discussions with staunch ally China on the "evolving political dynamics in Afghanistan" amid reports the United States plans to reduce its military presence in the war-ravaged country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Chinese peacekeeping forces signifies China's contribution to world peace and development People's Daily 25 Dec 2018 -- Some 40 years into China's reform and opening-up policy, China has not only witnessed the rise of its national strength, but has also shouldered more responsibility in the global community, including sending over 38,000 peacekeepers on 24 UN peacekeeping missions.
- India, Myanmar Conduct First Ever Military Exchange Programme Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The effort aimed at promoting mutual trust between the defence forces of Myanmar and India is part of the latter's strategy to counter increasing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean region.
- Tops Iranian, Russian military brass discuss bilateral ties IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Head of the Joint Commission of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Russian Federation Vice Admiral Osipov lgor Vladimirovich met with Chief of Staff for the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran Mohammad Baqeri.
- Russian defense ministry delegation meets Iranian army officials ISNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Navy Commander, Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi and Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, Major General Mohammad Bagheri held separate meetings with deputy chief of the Russian Army General Staff, Vice-Admiral Igor Osipov on Tuesday.
- Navy commander: Iran, Russia to boost cooperation in future IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Commander of Iran's Army Naval Force declared that the cooperation of naval forces of Iran and Russia in the future will further develop.
- Iran, Russia armed forces must boost anti-terror fight: Military chief Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- The armed forces of Iran and Russia should boost their cooperation in the fight against terrorism given the ongoing very sensitive situation in the region and across the world, Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says.
- Iran closely monitoring US ships in Persian Gulf: Army comdr IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Iranian forces have under their watch the US warships in the Persian Gulf second by second, Army Deputy Commander in Coordination Affairs Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Tuesday.
- Iranian Admiral: US Will Never Be Allowed in Iran's Territorial Waters Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Deputy Chief of the Army for Coordination Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said that Iran will never allow US warships to approach its territorial waters, noting that the Islamic Republic is ready to respond to any action by Washington.
- Turkey Never Suggested US Technicians Should Study S-400 - Defense Minister Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The announcement comes after Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters that Ankara would never give up on the S-400 deal with Moscow. According to him, the Turkish government has already finalized the accord and will buy the missile systems from Russia "without any question."
- Yemen: Saudis breach truce for 25 times IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Despite Yemeni forces commitment to ceasefire; Saudi aggressors have violated the truce agreement 25 times, spokesman for Yemen's Armed Forces said.
- Syrian air defense systems intercept 'hostile targets' near capital Damascus Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Syrian air defense systems have intercepted "hostile targets" near the capital Damascus, nearly a month after government forces shot down several missiles following an Israeli attack and foiled its goals despite the "intensity of the aggression."
- Syrian govt. forces march into Arima village near Kurdish-held Manbij Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Syrian army soldiers, supported by Russian troops, have marched into a village in the country's northern province of Aleppo, after US-sponsored and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) decided to hand it over to government forces.
- We curse them as traitors: Syrian Kurds slam US withdrawal, look for new allies Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Many Syrian Kurds have expressed frustration over the United States' planned troop withdrawal from Syria, describing it as a 'stab in the back' and considering new allies, according to the US-based National Public Radio (NPR).
- 'No Benefit': Turkey Warns France Against Remaining in Syria Amid US Pullout Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The news comes as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman revealed that American military officials are set to meet with their Turkish counterparts to discuss coordination on Syria following Washington's decision to withdraw troops from the Arab Republic.
- Turkey warns France against supporting Kurdish YPG militants Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has warned France against supporting US-backed People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria, in the wake of US President Donald Trump's decision last week to withdraw American troops from the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Iranian FM Zarif: Too Early to Analyze US Exit From Syria Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, in an interview late on Monday, said he believed it was too early to give a detailed analysis of the US withdrawal from Syria.
- Turkey sends military reinforcements to Syrian border People's Daily 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has sent military reinforcements to its border with Syria, state-run media reported on Monday, after Ankara and Washington agreed to coordinate ly during the U.S. withdrawal from Syria.
- Turkey resolute in fighting terror, needs no permission from Israel: Ankara Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it is determined to continue its "fight" against terrorism, stressing that Ankara does not need any "permission" from the Israeli regime to fight terror.
- Turkey 'Determined' To Cross East Of Euphrates In Syria As Soon As Possible RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey is determined to cross to the east of the Euphrates River in northern Syria as soon as possible, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on December 25, a day after Ankara sent reinforcements to the border with Syria.
- Turkey Doesn't Need Permission from Israel or Anyone to Fight Terror - Ankara Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The Turkish government spokesperson made the statement following a Twitter outburst from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who called Turkish President Erdogan "the occupier of northern Cyprus" and accused his forces of massacring "women and children in Kurdish villages."
- Car bomb attack kills 3, injures dozen in northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- At least three people have been killed and a dozen others sustained injuries when a bomb explosion ripped through a marketplace in Iraq's northern province of Nineveh.
- Several dead in suicide attack on Libyan foreign ministry Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Three suicide bombers attacked Libya's foreign ministry in Tripoli on Tuesday, killing at least two other people as well as themselves, authorities said.
- Libya's Foreign Ministry attacked, 'minister safe' Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Gunmen have attacked Libya's Foreign Ministry building in the capital, Tripoli, engaging in shootouts and setting off explosives inside, state media say.
- Militants Attack Foreign Ministry In Libya RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- Militants have attacked the Foreign Ministry of Libya in Tripoli, killing three and injuring around 20.
- Blast, Shooting Reported at Libyan Foreign Ministry Building in Tripoli Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- An explosion took place at the Libyan Foreign Ministry in the country's capital of Tripoli, local media reported Tuesday.
- Russia Expands Targeted Sanctions Against Ukraine RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has expanded Russia's targeted sanctions against Ukrainian individuals and legal entities.
- Cameroon Villagers Flee Suspected Separatist Attack VOA 25 Dec 2018 -- Authorities in Cameroon say hundreds of people have fled villages in a French-speaking region after suspected Anglophone separatists abducted 15 people and torched 80 houses.
- Trump: Shutdown Won't End Until Wall Funded VOA 25 Dec 2018 -- The partial shutdown of the U.S. government has moved no closer to a resolution, with President Donald Trump asserting on Tuesday the shutdown will continue until his demand for funds to construct a U.S.-Mexico border wall are met.
- Remarks by Belarusian Leader Upstage Sensitive Kremlin Talks VOA 25 Dec 2018 -- Less than a day before arriving in Moscow to salvage frayed ties with his Russian counterpart, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said he no longer considers Russia a "brotherly nation."
- US court orders North Korea to pay $500mn for Otto Warmbier's 'wrongful death' Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- A US judge has ordered North Korea to pay more than $500 million to the parents of Otto Warmbier, an American college student who died shortly after being released from detention in the Southeast Asian country.
- North Korea raps latest UN resolution as 'serious provocation' Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- North Korea has censured a United Nations resolution that condemns the country's human rights record, calling it a "serious provocation."
- Trump Says 'Progress Made' on North Korea, Looks Forward to Next Summit With Kim Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said in a statement that progress has been made with regards to North Korea, and he is anticipating his next bilateral meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- India Takes Over Iran's Strategic Chabahar Port RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- India has formally taken over operations at Iran's strategic Chabahar Port, a move that could have significant geopolitical ramifications in the region.
- Iran Unveils First Annual Budget Since U.S. Sanctions Were Reimposed RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- Iran's president has presented the country's first annual budget since the return of U.S. sanctions, saying it had been adjusted to take account of Washington's "cruel" measures.
- Rouhani unveils new budget bill on positive note Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani has submitted a new budget bill to parliament for the next fiscal year, beginning on March 21, on an upbeat note despite admitting that US sanctions would affect the lives of Iranians and hinder growth.
- Iran president submits budget bill to parliament IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani granted the budget bill for the following Iranian year (starting on March 21, 2019) to Majlis (the Iranian Parliament) on Tuesday.
- Leader offers condolences over demise of Ayatollah Shahroudi IRNA 25 Dec 2018 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei in a message extended condolences over the demise of the late Chairman of Expediency Council Ayatollah Seyyed Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi.
- Leader expresses condolences on passing of Ayatollah Shahroudi Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has extended his condolences over the passing of Chairman of Iran's Expediency Council Ayatollah Seyyed Mahmoud Hashemi-Shahroudi.
- Dissolving parliament, early elections proof of Israel's great failure: Palestinian official Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- A Palestinian politician says Israel's decision to dissolve its parliament and call early general elections shows that the regime is in "a big crisis."
- 37 protesters killed by police in Sudan protests: Amnesty Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Amnesty International says it has received "credible reports" that Sudan's security forces have shot dead nearly 40 protesters in clashes during anti-government demonstrations that erupted last week in many parts of the country.
- Venezuela Slams US Reaction to ExxonMobil Ship Incident, Urges Not to Interfere Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- Caracas has strongly renounced Washington's response to reports about the interception of an ExxonMobil oil exploration vessel by the Venezuelan authorities, Venezuela's Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|