27 August 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 27 Aug 2018 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 27 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Russia says Afghan peace talks in Moscow postponed Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Russia says international peace talks on Afghanistan - originally planned for next week - have been postponed following a phone conversation between Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
- 'Tajik aircraft bombs Afghan border after fatal clashes' Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- A Tajik aircraft has bombed a northeastern Afghan border area after two Tajik border guards were killed in cross-border clashes with gunmen, Afghan officials say.
- Afghanistan, Russia Postpone Moscow-Format Talks - Afghan President's Office Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The consultations on Afghanistan in the Moscow format have been postponed following a phone call between Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, the Afghan president's office said Monday.
- Russia Foreign Ministry Says Afghan Peace Talks Delayed RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry says that multiparty talks aimed at ending the war in Afghanistan have been postponed, after a request from Afghanistan's president.
- Airstrike Along Tajik-Afghan Border Kills At Least Eight Militants RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- Afghan officials said unknown aircraft hit Taliban forces in a province along the border with Tajikistan, killing eight militants, a day after a shooting that left at least two Tajiks killed.
- Wisconsin National Guard continues sandbagging in Madison Army News 27 Aug 2018 -- Approximately 85 Wisconsin National Guard troops continue to assist local emergency crews with sandbagging operations in Monona and Madison today as floods resulting from heavy rain early last week continue to affect the city.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USAF supports premier RAF exercise AFNS 27 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Air Force's 492nd Fighter Squadron sent several F-15E Strike Eagles to support the Royal Air Force's premier air combat training exercise, Typhoon Warrior, Aug. 14-23, at RAF Coningsby, England.
- Soldiers Prepare Georgian Troops for Afghanistan Deployment AFPS 27 Aug 2018 -- The continuous dramatic thumping of the HH-60M Black Hawk helicopter's rotor blades announced the arrival of help from above as the 4th Infantry Division's 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion conducted a series of aviation and medical evacuation training exercises here in support of the Georgian military and Operation Atlantic Resolve, Aug. 21.
- Navy, Army Commands Reflect, Support National Defense Strategy AFPS 27 Aug 2018 -- Last week's ceremonies re-establishing the Navy's 2nd Fleet in Norfolk, Virginia, and standing up the Army's Futures Command in Austin, Texas, illustrate aspects of the National Defense Strategy.
- Establishment of Army Futures Command marks a culture shift Army News 27 Aug 2018 -- In empty office space on the 19th floor of a University of Texas System building here, Friday, the Army unveiled the location for the headquarters of its new Futures Command, which has the monumental task of modernizing the service's future force.
- Remarks by Secretary Mattis at National Guard Association of the United States Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana DoD 27 Aug 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- USS Abraham Lincoln Successfully Completes TSTA/FEP NNS 27 Aug 2018 -- The Nimitz Class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) together with Carrier Strike Group 12, Destroyer Squadron 2, and Carrier Air Wing 7, completed Tailored Ship's Training Availability (TSTA) Final Evaluation Period (FEP), Aug. 6.
- Carrier Air Wing 7 Takes to the Sky NNS 27 Aug 2018 -- The squadrons of the mighty Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7 join the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), Destroyer Squadron 2, and USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55) as a critical element of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 12, marking another significant milestone on the ship's journey to full operational readiness.
- Naval Test Pilot School's Newest Flying Classroom Takes First Flight NNS 27 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Naval Test Pilot School (USNTPS) conducted its first flight of Airborne Systems Training and Research Support (ASTARS) III, Tuesday, August 21.
- Wasp ARG Conducts PASSEX with JMSDF NNS 27 Aug 2018 -- Ships assigned to the Wasp Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), with attached 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, partnered with Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) amphibious transport dock ship JS Osumi (LST 4001) to conduct a passing exercise (PASSEX), Aug. 26.
- Mattis: US military to step up South America role amid 'power competition' with China Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The US military plans to take on a more active role in South America amid a growing "power competition," Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said, fresh off a trip where he warned allies of China's "predatory economics."
- British Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier Sets Sail for US to Train With F-35Bs Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The British Royal Navy's newest aircraft carrier, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, set sail for the United States earlier this month to train with US F-35B Joint Strike Fighters.
- Russia to Speed Up Delivery of S-400 to Turkey Amid US Sanctions Threat Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The developments come as the US State Department made it clear that Washington would sanction any country that decides to purchase Russian S-400 air defense systems.
- New carrier sets out on second sea trial People's Daily 27 Aug 2018 -- China's first domestically designed aircraft carrier embarked on its second sea trial on Monday from its shipyard in Dalian, Liaoning province.
- First Chinese-Built Aircraft Carrier Starts Second Sea Trials Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The first aircraft carrier to be built in China for the country's navy left port on Sunday for its second round of sea trials, during which its primary weapon systems and command and control systems will be tested, Chinese state media report.
- IRGC commander: IRGC a mighty, deterrent power in Persian Gulf IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Monday that IRGC naval force as a mighty and deterrent power would play its significant role in the Persian Gulf and Hormuz Strait.
- "Iran has full control of Persian Gulf and U.S. navy does not belong here" ISNA 27 Aug 2018 -- Iran has full control of the Persian Gulf, and the U.S. Navy does not belong there, the head of the navy of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, General Alireza Tangsiri said on Monday.
- Iran in full control of Persian Gulf: Top commander Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- A top Iranian navy commander says the country has full control of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz and is ready to protect the waters as well as the Sea of Oman.
- Iran Has Full Control of Gulf and Strait of Hormuz - Revolutionary Guards Chief Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- Earlier, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) held large-scale military drills in the Persian Gulf. The IRGC said they were ready to disrupt other countries' oil shipments through the strait if Iran's own exports were impeded.
- Iran, Syria sign defensive, technical cooperation document ISNA 27 Aug 2018 -- Iranian and Syrian defense ministries have signed a cooperation document in defensive and technical field.
- Iran, Syria sign new deal for defense cooperation Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Iran and Syria have signed an agreement on defense and technical cooperation during a visit by Iranian Defense Minister Amir Hatami who reiterated Tehran's commitment to the Arab country's security.
- Iran, Syria Sign Deal On Military Cooperation RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- The defense ministers of Iran and Syria have signed an agreement on military cooperation in the war-torn country, Iranian media report.
- Iran, Syria sign defense cooperation document IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- The defense ministries of Iran and Syria signed a document on mutual defense cooperation in the presence of the two countries' defense ministers in Damascus Sunday night.
- Macron: France Ready to Conduct New Strikes on Syria if Chemical Weapons Used Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron commented Monday on the situation in Syria's Idlib as well as on the dependence of the European defense on the US.
- Merkel Opposes Military Service Reintroduction Amid Calls for Conscription Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel did not support the idea on Sunday of reintroducing conscription in the country in order to tackle staff shortages and high costs of military recruitment system.
- New Israeli Rockets 'Can Reach Anywhere in the Middle East' - Defense Chief Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- In February, Lieberman instructed the country's military to build ground-to-ground missiles with a range of up to 300 kilometers (186 miles).
- Danish Defense Ministry Grilled Over Hushing Up F-35 Noise Levels Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The Danish Defense Ministry's unverified claims about the noise levels of the future backbone of the Scandinavian country's air force may add extra costs to the divisive multi-billion krone purchase, experts suggest.
- DoD News: Contracts for August 27, 2018
- China-made large amphibious aircraft AG600 starts tests on water People's Daily 27 Aug 2018 -- China's independently-developed large amphibious aircraft, the AG600, has completed trial ground flights and entered a new test phase on the water-surface.
- Largest China-Made Amphibious Aircraft Completes Trial Flight Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- World's largest China-made amphibious aircraft, the AG600, has completed a trial flight from the city of Zhuhai in southern Guangdong province to Jingmen city in central province of Hubei and is ready to start tests on the water, the plane's manufacturer, the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), said on Monday.
- 27 August 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Aug 2018
- Saudi Arabia seeks no strong government formed in Yemen: Ansarullah Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says Saudi Arabia never wants a strong government to be formed in Yemen, but aspiring turn the war-hit country into a client state, as the Saudi-led military coalition continues with its ceaseless airstrikes against the impoverished nation.
- Yemeni forces launch drone strike against Dubai International Airport Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have reportedly launched an airstrike against a strategic economic target in the United Arab Emirates in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's devastating military aggression against their impoverished homeland.
- Dubai Int'l Airport attacked by Yemen drones IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- After a lapse of one month since Yemenis attacked Abu Dhabi Airport, the country's Army drone units targeted Dubai International Airport.
- Army destroys Daesh position in al-Safa in Sweida Badyia IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- A Syrian army unit on Monday destroyed a position and a machinegun-equipped vehicle belonging to Daesh (ISIS) terrorists in the surroundings of Khirbet al-Hawi in the area of al-Safa hills in Sweida eastern countryside.
- Syrian Army destroys Daesh positions in Sweida IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- An army unit on Monday destroyed a position and a machinegun-equipped vehicle belonging to Daesh (ISIS) terrorists in the surroundings of Khirbet al-Hawi in the area of al-Safa hills in Sweida eastern countryside, according to Syrian News Agency 'SANA'.
- Tehran to help Syrian reconstruction: Iran Def Min. IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- The defense agreement between Iran and Syria includes reconstruction of the Syrian Army and defense industries to revive the country and restore its military power, said the minister of defense of Iran.
- US seeking to use fake chemical weapons attack to strike Syria: Russian MoD Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has warned that the United States may use a fake chemical attack carried out by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib as a pretext to launch possible airstrikes on Syrian government forces.
- Iran president to host Russian, Turkish counterpart for Syria talks Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The presidents of Iran, Russia, and Turkey will hold their third round of tripartite summit in Iran next week in an attempt to find ways to end the ongoing crisis in Syria, Turkish state television says.
- UN: Myanmar military killed, raped Rohingya Muslims with 'genocidal intent' Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- A UN fact-finding mission says Myanmar's military has carried out a series of "shocking" rights violations against Rohingya Muslims, including mass killings and gang rapes, adding the country's commander-in-chief and other generals should stand trial for "genocide" and war crimes against the minority group.
- Myanmar military leaders must face genocide charges - UN report UN News 27 Aug 2018 -- Top military commanders in Myanmar should be investigated and prosecuted for the "gravest" crimes against civilians under international law, including genocide, United Nations-appointed investigators said on Monday.
- UN Report Accuses Myanmar's Top Generals of Genocide VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- A U.N. fact-finding mission is calling for Myanmar's senior leaders to be referred to the International Criminal Court to be investigated and prosecuted for genocide against the Rohingya Muslim minority in northern Rakhine state and, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Kachin and Shan states.
- UN Special Panel Accuses Myanmar of 'Genocidal Intent' in 2017 Rohingya Crackdown VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- A special United Nations investigative panel has accused Myanmar's military of carrying out numerous atrocities during last year's crackdown against the Rohingya Muslims "with genocidal intent" and is calling for an international probe and prosecution of its top generals.
- Turkish armed forces 'neutralize' over two dozen Kurdish PKK militants in one week Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Turkish ground forces have killed more than two dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of counter-terrorism operations in the country's southeastern provinces near the border with Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region in the past week.
- Kyiv: Two Ukrainian Soldiers, Three Separatists Killed In Fighting RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- Ukraine says two of its soldiers have been killed and six others wounded in clashes with Russia-backed separatists in the country's east.
- US struggling to push bans on Russian companies: Report Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The United States is facing a real problem in imposing tough sanctions on large Russian companies because of their extended dealings with American and European firms, a new report suggests.
- U.S. Sanctions On Russia Over Poisoning In Britain Go Into Force RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- U.S. sanctions against Russia over the March poisoning in Britain of a former Russian agent and his daughter have gone into effect, targeting foreign aid, the sale of defense and security goods, and U.S. government loans for exports to Russia.
- New US Sanctions Won't Keep Russia From Defending Its National Interests Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- Russia will take a decision on the response to a new round of US sanctions based on its own interests, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.
- New Washington's Anti-Russian Sanctions Come Into Force Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The new Washington's sanctions against Russia related to alleged Moscow's involvement in former Russian intelligence officer Sergei Skripal's poisoning came into force on Monday August 27.
- New US Sanctions on Russia Come Into Effect VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- New U.S. sanctions against Russia over a nerve agent attack in Britain come into effect Monday.
- Russian Court Sentences Navalny To Jail Ahead Of Pension Protest RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- Russian news agencies say a Moscow court has sentenced opposition activist Aleksei Navalny to 30 days in jail after convicting him of violating protest laws.
- French president says preserving JCPOA among EU objectives IRNA 27 Aug 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday that France is seeking to save Iran nuclear deal as it is in close contact with its allies including Germany, Britain and European Union.
- US to confront Iran at World Court: Pompeo Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The United States has objected to a lawsuit filed at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) by Iran against the US for the re-imposition of sanctions.
- Iran security forces disband terror outfits: Intelligence minister Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi says the country's security forces have disbanded two terrorist teams in the western parts of Iran.
- Iran president urges faster, more transparent steps to save JCPOA Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has urged the remaining signatories to the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers to act faster and in a more transparent way to preserve it after the US move to pull out of the agreement.
- Iran hauls US before intl. court over 'illegal' sanctions Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- The International Court of Justice has begun hearing a lawsuit brought by Iran against new US sanctions ordered by the Trump administration.
- Iran Urges UN Court To Halt 'Economic Aggression' By U.S. RFE/RL 27 Aug 2018 -- Iran accused the United States of "economic aggression" as Tehran's legal challenge against renewed sanctions went before the United Nations' highest court.
- On U.S. Appearance Before the International Court of Justice US Dept. of State 27 Aug 2018
- Trade, Technology Rift May Have Economic, Political Impact on China VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- The trade rift between the U.S. and China is taking on new dimensions with Washington scrutinizing the flow of technology to Chinese industries. Analysts said China might be in for both economic and political problems if the U.S. cuts off the supply of technologies that are essential for the survival of major Chinese companies.
- Taiwan will not seek U.N. membership this year: source CNA 27 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan will not seek membership in the United Nations this year but will continue to ask its diplomatic allies and friendly countries to speak up at the general assembly in support of its meaningful participation, a diplomatic source said Monday.
- Guatemala envoy affirms ties with Taiwan CNA 27 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan's Central American ally Guatemala reaffirmed Monday its government's commitment to maintaining diplomatic relations with Republic of China (Taiwan), a week after neighboring El Salvador announced that it was switching allegiance from Taipei to Beijing.
- Bargaining Chip or Not, Taiwan Keeps Improving Prized Relations with US VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan and the United States are showing signs of growing a solid relationship that goes beyond U.S. President Donald Trump's widely suspected use of Taipei as a bargaining chip in his administration's talks with China, analysts say.
- US steps against Ankara politically-motivated, could destabilize region: Turkey's finance minister Press TV 27 Aug 2018 -- Turkish Finance Minister Berat Albayrak says recent unilateral steps taken by the United States to wage an economic war against Ankara are politically-motivated and could serve to ultimately bolster regional terrorism and the refugee crisis.
- Summit to bolster ties with Africa People's Daily 27 Aug 2018 -- The Forum on China-Africa Cooperation, acting as a model for South-South cooperation since its establishment in 2000, will continue to be an important platform for jointly building a community of shared future for mankind, diplomats and researchers said.
- Commentary: China-Africa cooperation to make new history People's Daily 27 Aug 2018 -- The international situation has undergone tremendous changes since the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) was established in 2000. Over the years, China and Africa have played bigger roles in the international political and economic landscape.
- Respect for fundamental rights and freedoms key for peaceful polls in DRC - UN mission chief UN News 27 Aug 2018 -- Confidence and consensus around key issues are still required ahead of this year's presidential and legislative elections in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the Security Council heard on Monday.
- Tense Local Polls in Mozambique Could Signal Major Political Shift VOA 27 Aug 2018 -- The tension and complexity of Mozambique's upcoming municipal elections - which may signal a major political shift in the Southern African nation - can be seen by looking at the poll's highest-profile contest: the mayoral race in the capital.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|